Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:00 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: IMD '17 (M)
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all IMD applicants: (Jan 2018 Entry) class of Dec 2018! [#permalink]
Hey there! Few weeks left for the first deadline of IMD admission for 2018 batch.

Those who are applying, how is your feeling on the application? Any questions so far?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Calling all IMD applicants: (Jan 2018 Entry) class of Dec 2018! [#permalink]
I have a question on the recommendations. IMD asks for three recommenders instead of two like most colleges. I am planning to take a recommendation each from my manager in the current organization and my manager in the previous organization. For the third one, would you recommend taking it from a current client(in a Fortune 100 organization) or some one with whom I have been involved in community work?

Regards
Neharika
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Neharika.
Taking recommendations from your client is a good option as long as you know they will be able to provide a positive feedback and spend some time on filling in the recommendation form. I know some current students were taking recommendations from their clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vibis wrote:
Hi Neharika.
Taking recommendations from your client is a good option as long as you know they will be able to provide a positive feedback and spend some time on filling in the recommendation form. I know some current students were taking recommendations from their clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a ton! this is quite useful! :) Hope you are all set for the new phase!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IMD just posted an update on career evolution of some of its recent grads, 2016 batch, the link is below:

https://www.imd.org/news/testimonials/th ... a-program/

Show SpoilerIMD’s MBA program prides itself on a small-scale, intimate approach to learning, a rigorous selection process to ensure a diverse and complementary cohort, a mature and experienced group of professionals, a strong focus on leadership development, and effective career services.

Three participants from the class of 2016 talk about how these elements of their intense year-long experience led to a life-changing career transition.
From MBA to budding CEO, Kunal Chandra

Kunal Chandra, originally from India, worked in the energy sector at Shell for nine years before beginning IMD’s MBA program. “I was looking to become a better leader; I think that’s why many people come to IMD,” Kunal says.

Other motivations for Kunal to earn the IMD MBA were that he wanted to branch out from the oil and gas sector and get exposed to other parts of the energy sector, and he wanted to step up and be seen as a person with executive potential.

While enrolled in the MBA Kunal was able to use IMD’s career support to earn a position in Siemen’s CEO program, which gives executive exposure to young talent.

For Kunal the IMD MBA helped him make this transition because of what he describes as the program’s three strengths.

Number one: “The program gave an amazing breadth of information and exposure to the general business environment.”

Two: “In a short period, the program gives you the confidence to lead and deliver at a professional level in areas that you were not previously familiar with; you are expected to perform quickly, and that makes a big difference.”

And three: “Because of the nature of the program and the fact that we had to deal with real companies and executives, the ultimate judgement of your performance is not in the classroom; it’s in the real business world. And through IMD, and the connections you make, you gain access to a truly powerful business network.”

Kunal also said the program helped him learn how to “be a leader in the moment” and advises any future MBAs that they can get a lot of the program if they know what they want to achieve ahead of time.

From chasing immediate targets to realizing your dream and life-purpose, Andrea Michahelles

Before coming to IMD, Andrea Michahelles was the Managing Director of a German Supply Chain Management Consulting firm in her native Peru.

She says she had solid experience managing consulting teams before starting the program, but she wanted to gain deeper knowledge on how to be a true leader, how to recruit and inspire high performing teams.

“I was at a stage in my life where I was ready to gain new soft skills and accelerate my growth as a manager,” she says.

When she was considering her next career move, Andrea says recruiters were telling her that it is nearly impossible to change one’s function, geography, and industry all at the same time.

Lucky for Andrea, those advisors were wrong. After graduating from the IMD MBA with honors and winning the Welshe Woman award given to outstanding female participants every year, her next move is on to Spain where she will be a Product Manager in Amazon’s Consumer Program.

“I am so grateful to IMD’s Career Services, because they encouraged me to pursue my dream, even though everyone was pointing me in the opposite direction,” says Andrea.

“I think one commonality of the participants of the IMD MBA is that we are all ‘go-getters’, who are very successful at reaching the next immediate goal, but often in a trap. As we are always so busy securing the next reward, sometimes we lose perspective on what we really want to do, our dreams, and our life purposes. In that area, IMD helps by asking the right questions and providing us with a secure base to try.”

Another valuable lesson Andrea learned in the IMD MBA program was to embrace the fear of change, to take the leap and see what happens next.

“There is a lot of pain in this MBA. It is very challenging not only from an academic point of view, but also from a personal and leadership perspective. You are put in a lot of stressful situations, always in a group context. You’re put to the test. You have to make really tough choices. But you cannot learn without suffering,”

Andrea says that putting participants through the gauntlet is one of the real strengths of the program. Understanding her own performance under stress and during conflict as well as receiving constant feedback are what made her more self-aware and helped her realize her true values, she says.

Opening up new career doors, Alex Tkachenko

With 10 years of professional experience and a solid financial background in investment and commercial banking, Alex Tkachenko came to IMD to improve his skillset and move into general management.

Originally from Ukraine, Alex Tkachenko’s career has taken him from his hometown of Kiev, Ukraine to Austria and then on to Lausanne where he just completed the IMD MBA.

Coming from what he describes as a mainly B2B background, Alex was impressed by IMD’s network of industrial companies that have a regular presence on campus, he says. Another advantage of the program, according to Alex, was being in a small tight-knit group, which helped him get to know the other MBAs and himself better.

Alex found his next opportunity while still in the MBA program. He will soon be working for the Danaher Corporation, which he says is a great match for him. “They are very good in operational excellence, and they function like a private equity firm,” he says.

Alex did a summer internship – one which he qualifies as a real success – at Danaher, during the program. He says the IMD alumni who already worked at the company were very positive and helpful during the recruitment for his next position.

The MBA helped Alex transition to a whole new field for him, one that he had been wanting to delve into – marketing.

Alex will be based at the European headquarters of one of Danaher's operating companies and he says that applying what he has learned in the MBA program has helped him achieve his current success.

These three outstanding MBAs from 2016 offer a snapshot of how IMD blends a carefully selected group of diverse and experienced professionals with immersion in leadership and career guidance to springboard high-potential executives toward a bright future and new career path.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The first week in Lausanne…
Today is the first official blog from one of our 2017 MBA bloggers, Mohammed Allam!

As I write this, it is the eve of our first official day at IMD. Our exciting orientation day lies ahead filled with introductions to the MBA faculty/staff, school photos, and various presentations to help us set everything up and settle in for the journey ahead. As some of my friends say, things are about to get real!Understandably, IMD recommends that we arrive in Lausanne a week or so in advance to get settled in and navigate some of the initial bureaucratic hoops of moving to Switzerland (bank accounts, cell phones, insurance, etc.). To be honest, I found this to hardly be a chore as I used it as an opportunity to explore the extremely walkable and picturesque Lausanne, breathing in the crisp Swiss air as I ran my initial errands. Luckily, the wonderful MBA support staff make the transition as smooth as can be, but coming from Toronto, I definitely needed this week just to get over some brutal jetlag if nothing else!

Despite the jetlag, what an exciting week it has been! As our 89 fellow classmates pour into Lausanne from all corners of the world, we’ve had no shortage of group IKEA trips and nights out for dinner and/or drinks at different local restaurants and pubs as we get to know each other and our fascinating backstories. After walking around beautiful Lausanne during the day chipping away at our to-do lists, those of us with any energy left could always find a group of fellow classmates at what we’ve now made our de facto school pub, lighting up our https://gmatclub.com/chat group with pictures and stories for those who couldn’t make it. A couple of nights had about 30 of us dominating the establishment!

I’ve always loved that IMD’s MBA program is a cohort of only 90 students. I got a sense of the special magic this creates from the early days when I joined our active and often laugh-inducing https://gmatclub.com/chat group after being accepted. Over the past week, I’ve already had the pleasure of getting to know a fair chunk our program and as I look forward to meeting the rest of the crew tomorrow I realize that our intimately small size really allows you to know your entire MBA cohort on a deep level and form a tight-knit community that you will never forget. And so, as this transitory week ends, a new 90-chapter book begins and I look forward to reading every single chapter!

Mo

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Narrating the journey
As one of the four official bloggers who will share their MBA experiences at IMD, using this space to highlight both highs and lows (after all, experiencing setbacks and learning how to navigate through murky waters is also an integral part of a transformative journey) over the next 12 months, I think it only makes sense to use this first post of mine to explain why I decided to come here, describe what I hope to achieve through this blog and briefly introduce my background in the process, before Priyanka, Sathappan and Mohammed do the same over the next few days.

I was an avid reader of the IMD blog in the months prior to applying to the program in the summer of 2016 and often found myself wondering about what it is exactly that drives people to come here for a year before diving again into corporate arenas or entrepreneurial endeavours. Scrolling through CVs and LinkedIn profiles will only tell you so much since these descriptions can often be characterized as “masks” people wear and prefer to reveal to others. What I was specifically interested in while doing my research on the program was not so much the possibility to shake up one, two or all three variables (industry, function, country) and completely redefine one’s professional trajectory, or the possibility to more quickly advance within a specific sector through the acquisition of that coveted credential, but the transformative side of it.

How does the program affect someone’s understanding of doing business?

What will a candidate do differently in terms of management and how will his or her business acumen have changed/evolved after 12 months of such an intensive bootcamp?

What kind of new perspectives can someone gain while studying here?

In short: I was looking for acquired skills – soft and hard – as well as newly gained vantage points.

And because I couldn’t find the information I was looking for on various forums or blogs that seem to curate sheer endless amounts of positive and flattering posts about different MBA programs around the world, clearly making a blatant use of superlatives, I decided to meet and talk to former MBA students. Some of their answers did help to convince me and get on with applying to a program (IMD is the only MBA program I ended up applying for), but it also became obvious that different people have very different reasons for doing an MBA on the shores of Lake Geneva.

Some candidates are here because of IMD’s strong focus on leadership and teachings on how to maneuver through dilemmas, others are primarily interested in diversifying their career prospects. The start-up competition was also mentioned as a major reason by two of my classmates, while others look forward to the International Consulting Projects. Switzerland, a politically and economically stable country in a world governed by uncertainties, is also one of the many reasons why students decide to come here.

In my case, after spending 6+ years in financial services in Zurich, I also realised that – from here on – things would only go faster and faster and that taking a step back to look at the big picture would likely become more and more difficult. As a former participant in a very rapidly changing industry – driven by continuously increasing regulatory pressure and the emergence of new technologies, particularly appealing to the needs of digital-savvy consumers – and constantly having to think about the next chapter while being busy writing the current one, catching some degree of routine-blindness (the Germans have a great word for that: “Betriebsblindheit” – literally, “blinded by the process of doing”) was easy. Taking a step back is – at times – absolutely vital in order to avoid getting wrapped up in the intricacies of the machinery.

And although I did consider various other options for taking that step back (a sabbatical was one option for example), I concluded that doing an MBA at IMD would be a unique challenge that could potentially alterate my understanding of doing business, but also highlight new areas of personal development. It’s hard to say no to that.

I must add though: yes, an MBA is a very costly investment and it took me some time to let go of the guilt that I used to associate with investing that much money into my own personal development. I also admit that various readings, such as Mark Albion’s “More Than Money”, triggered some doubts and made me question the idea of pursuing an MBA for weeks in a row. I am also fully aware that going for this MBA can be interpreted as a sign of conformism and that – now that the program has started and my investment is made – it is to be expected that I can no longer retain a healthy distance to the events of the next 12 months and will likely feel inclined to rave about my experiences here and paint them in the best possible light. Mariana Zanetti perfectly describes this logic in her book “Is the MBA a profitable investment?”.

Revealing struggles and difficulties exposes vulnerabilities and we may thus appear less desirable. In the case of this blog, I think it is safe to assume that potential employers will – at some point – stumble upon it and possibly feel less interested in students who do not easily jump through all the hoops and explain what it is in particular that challenges them. Yes, that may be the case.

But on the other hand, Switzerland continues to distinguish itself because of its relentless focus on quality and transparency, not just when it comes to manufactured goods, but also education. The country prides itself on bringing up well-rounded professionals that have been tested and challenged, fully believing in something that was remarkably summed up by Frederick Douglass:

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.”

Albeit from very different corners of the world, the people I have met so far at IMD all seem to share similar values and I am looking forward to struggle with them, while making it easier for future applicants to understand and relate to what goes on in the mind of a candidate.

I will therefore aim at trying my best to retain a balanced stance regarding the events of the coming months and use this blog to provide a rounded picture of what doing an MBA at IMD is like.

Lucien

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Ready Steady Go..
My name is Priyanka Chandran and I come from India. I have been a finance professional and worked across business development, strategy and deal structuring over the past 9 years. I have been an avid reader of this blog for quite some time and experienced the vicarious pleasure of living this journey. So I am very excited that it’s my turn now !!  Along with the other members of the blog team, I hope to be able to provide a sneak peek into our lives over the next year.

So how was the start? Well on a clear crisp Thursday morning as IMD opened up its gates to us, we were all suited up for the kick off. While most of us had exchanged through https://gmatclub.com/chat groups and had the chance to meet others in our first few days in Lausanne, this was the first formal gathering of the entire batch. A laughter here and a banter there, we were all trying to make acquaintances. Yet as I sat in the conference room, what struck me more than the diversity of the participants  was the harmony we exhibited as a group when we supported each other during our move and setting up phase in Lausanne.

The agenda of the first day involved basic administrative aspects and a formal introduction to the program and the IMD team. But as we gear up for classes starting next week, I have to share that we had already been given pre-course work on topics ranging from accounting to statics and leadership. Yes! We were transitioning away from our corporate lives and into the MBA program simultaneously. As we keep pace with the deadlines coming up over the next days, I also have to announce that we have already inaugurated the dungeons  over the last 2 days. We are beginning to pick up steam now and await interesting times ahead. I sign off now with the promise to keep you updated with the latest information from the classes and dungeons.

À bientôt

Intern
Intern
Send PM
IMD application form doesn't ask for a resume anywhere specifically? Do we upload it under additional documents or we don't need to provide one?

Also, do we need to send our official transcripts to IMD along with application(apart from uploading it) or is that required once admission is secured?

Thanks!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Hello, world!
I am very happy to be one of the four official IMD bloggers for year 2017.

Little bit about myself – Name is Sathappan Sathappan (unfortunately, that is not a typo). I graduated from NUS, Singapore with an Electrical Engineering degree. Since then, I have been working in Financial services space for over 7.5 years.

It has been roughly 10 days since I reached Lausanne. We had our opening/orientation day for the MBA program last Thursday (12th Jan). It has been an interesting journey so far to say the least.

As far as prep work to get here, IMD was very helpful. Lausanne as a city is notorious for its vacancy rate for apartment rentals – 0.24%. IMD have an exclusive agreement with a relocation consultant who made our life so much easier with respect to apartment rentals.

I must admit, there has been few signs for what is to come this year – both in good and bad ways. I have already seen great collaboration among fellow students. Residents of Switzerland helped foreigners like me settle in quickly by sharing ample information on the https://gmatclub.com/chat group chat. Students who reached Lausanne first volunteered to greet other students in the train station and helped the new comers move suitcases, boxes etc. There has been so many shared Ikea trips that I even lost count.

The following story is epic – when a fellow student got stuck with a stick-shift car that she couldn’t drive in a bizarre turn of events, two other IMD students volunteered to go fetch her and the car – picture below. (on a side note – the backdrop of Lausanne and the lake in this picture is beautiful isnt it?)

On the down side, we have already been warned many times that the first few months will be a “pressure cooker”. The pre-program assignments were a good warning shot I think. All of us together are still grappling with the quants, leadership assignments, accounting quizzes, finance quizzes, financial modeling exercises, elevator pitch video assignment, etc and the classes havent even officially begun!

During my application phase and interview phase, this blog was extremely useful. Bloggers from previous years had done a great job providing a candid, honest feedback of their life here at IMD. I hope to continue that legacy and share our exciting journey ahead.

Sath

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Come and meet us!
The 2017 program is nearing the end of it’s first official week, the new MBAs are settling in and the marketing team is off on its search for the next group of 90 for the 2018 class!

If you are interested in finding out more about the full-time IMD MBA, we would love to talk to you about the program and your profile to help you decide if this is the right place for you. Here are a couple of upcoming events:

Wednesday, 25th January  – we will be at the Access MBA Fair in Amsterdam.

Thursday, 26th January – I will be hosting the first of this year’s monthly Virtual Visits for those unable to meet us in person.

Monday, 30th January – we have our first campus visit of the year. Join us for a tour of the campus, program presentation, lunch with MBAs and a chance to observe a Leadership class in session.

Registration for these or other MBA events can be found on our website

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Suzy

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Leadership stream
We had our leadership session today (19th Jan). Prof Anand and his team gave us a good introduction of what to expect this year. All of us are eagerly awaiting the personal development elective and leadership lab experience.

One of the strongest things about IMD is the focus on leadership, owing to IMD’s reputation for the executive management training programs. As MBA students, all of us had that in our development objectives when we chose this school. It is all the more interesting when you realize the classroom’s average work experience is 7.5 years (roughly). Most of my fellow classmates are seasoned executives who have managed teams before and are all aware of the challenges that come with it. Personally speaking, managing people is probably the most challenging thing i have done in my career. As managers we constantly face situations for which we are not prepared for. Most of what we do is react to situations as they arise. That is where the leadership lab experience will come in.

We were told today, all MBA students will be assigned a coach who will provide feedback to us throughout the year. We will be given scenarios in which we actually have to act out the scenarios and we will be recorded. Then, along with the coach, you review the recording and learn how you reacted and how to improve. how cool is that!

In my previous organisation, we had a session of this sort (though only a 5 day session). We were given time with a professional actor to act out on-the-spot situations. It was one of the most eye-opening moments of my career. So i am eagerly awaiting the leadership lab experience to learn more about our leadership style.

Prof Anand and his team are going to go one step further. In addition to providing feedback, they are going to educate us on understanding behavioral cues to learn human psychology. I bet this will come in handy in dealing with inevitable office politics!

On the fun side, we were given a short assignment. We were told to write one positive thing in our life every week throughout the course of the MBA program. We were told we will be revisiting that as a group when the program ends. I thought it was one of those optional, nice-to-do things. As it turns out, they actually left a small jar in all our inboxes.. (they werent kidding!) we got out of the first leadership session to find out the glass jars were already waiting for us! Here we have Aurelien and Ishwinder happily posing before the jars!

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Bonjour | Ahlan | Hello | Grüezi!

As one of the four official IMD MBA bloggers for 2017, I wanted to give a brief introduction of myself and some thoughts as the first whirlwind week of classes comes to an end!

I’m originally Egyptian although growing up in an expat family, I had lived in Jeddah, Riyadh, Geneva, Indianapolis, Cairo, Zurich, and Dubai by the time I was 17 years old. After that wild ride, I moved to Toronto where I attended the University of Toronto studying Economics and Political Science. After graduating, I worked in the biotechnology industry in business analytics for just over a year before deciding to switch over to the financial services industry where I worked in digital banking strategy and operations for the past 4+ years.

Now as I sit in a study room in the IMD “dungeons” (as they’re affectionately called by IMD students) with 4 colleagues from Finland, Mexico, Norway, and the U.S, I can’t help but feel like things have come a bit full circle. After studying/working in North America for 9 years, I always wanted to pursue my MBA internationally as I sought to recapture some of the perspective creating magic I felt attending international schools growing up. It’s always been tough for me to call any place home but I ironically feel right at home at IMD with the 44 passports held by this 90-strong class. Looking around, I’d say we’re giving the United Nations a run for their money!

As the first week of classes come to a close, the pace is already paying tribute to all the warnings I got as I was researching and applying to IMD. This is definitely not the place to put your feet up and take it easy as you break from working life. It feels surreal that we’ve only had classes for 4 days as we continue to put in hours burning the midnight oil after class in the “dungeons” on a variety of individual assignments and group projects. At the same time, I wouldn’t have it any other way as I can already see that the rigour of the program is only a product of its substance, which I know will ultimately shape us into better future leaders. As my colleague Sath mentioned in the previous entry, this is not program that just gives you the academic/technical competencies you need; but also the self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and leadership skills to succeed as a business leader.

Til next time!

Mo

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Leadership stream
We had our leadership session today (19th Jan). Prof Anand and his team gave us a good introduction of what to expect this year. All of us are eagerly awaiting the personal development elective and leadership lab experience.

One of the strongest things about IMD is the focus on leadership, owing to IMD’s reputation for the executive management training programs. As MBA students, all of us had that in our development objectives when we chose this school. It is all the more interesting when you realize the classroom’s average work experience is 7.5 years (roughly). Most of my fellow classmates are seasoned executives who have managed teams before and are all aware of the challenges that come with it. Personally speaking, managing people is probably the most challenging thing i have done in my career. As managers we constantly face situations for which we are not prepared for. Most of what we do is react to situations as they arise. That is where the leadership lab experience will come in.

We were told today, all MBA students will be assigned a coach who will provide feedback to us throughout the year. We will be given scenarios in which we actually have to act out the scenarios and we will be recorded. Then, along with the coach, you review the recording and learn how you reacted and how to improve. how cool is that!

In my previous organisation, we had a session of this sort (though only a 5 day session). We were given time with a professional actor to act out on-the-spot situations. It was one of the most eye-opening moments of my career. So i am eagerly awaiting the leadership lab experience to learn more about our leadership style.

Prof Anand and his team are going to go one step further. In addition to providing feedback, they are going to educate us on understanding behavioral cues to learn human psychology. I bet this will come in handy in dealing with inevitable office politics!

On the fun side, we were given a short assignment. We were told to write one positive thing in our life every week throughout the course of the MBA program. We were told we will be revisiting that as a group when the program ends. I thought it was one of those optional, nice-to-do things. As it turns out, they actually left a small jar in all our inboxes.. (they werent kidding!) we got out of the first leadership session to find out the glass jars were already waiting for us! Here we have Aurelien and Ishwinder happily posing before the jars!

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Assessing the risk of an MBA
Today’s guest entry is by Dutch/Venezuelan participant, Oliver van der Meer.

Do you know what a big risk looks like? This was different – it wasn’t a new assignment that had been “created” just for me, or my manager offering me a new “opportunity” with milestones. I had a management-level position with a clear career path at a revered British aerospace engineering giant, and enjoyed a nice lifestyle in one of Europe’s most livable and sought-after capitals for millennials. I had 30 days of paid holidays a year. For many of my fellow Berliners, I’d made it. That’s what was going through my head as I saw my friends starting to settle down, buy houses, get married, with some even having children. But something was missing – I’d known it for some time.

I had wanted to do an MBA program since my mid-twenties and had postponed due to career considerations. I had friends who went to another top-European MBA program sponsored by their management consulting firms, and saw their careers develop to the places that I wanted to go. My setup was different though, I’d need to forgo my savings, an excellent salary, and an enviable lifestyle.

I am an aerospace engineer by training, and worked for Rolls-Royce for over 6 years across various functions and had a set of readily transferable skills that I would be able to market within and outside the company. However, the MBA would allow me to reach where I wanted to be faster and hopefully with more credibility.

Having grown up on the U.S., I naturally gravitated toward U.S. programs. Combine that with the fact that generally U.S. exit-salaries are more reliable, and the economic cycle in the U.S. is on an uptick – I set about looking. However, the costs for top one-year U.S. programs was similar to one-year European programs, I already have a Masters degree and the average age of comparable schools put me slightly off.

I looked at another top-European school. Having already worked in Singapore, there was little advantage of living there again, which combined with added expense, and a significantly lower average salary upon exit than elsewhere.

That brought my sights to IMD. I focused on IMD because of its reputation for being powerhouse of Corporate development, across a broad range of skills and disciplines. Development and skills that directly translated to where I was in my career and what I wanted to achieve. Furthermore, its open and honest recruiting information, the class profile, instilled confidence that this wasn’t just marketing. Furthermore, the economic backdrop of Switzerland gave me confidence that upon exit, I’d have a robust, stable, and high-salary labor market to fall back on. IMD also offered scholarships, and proudly proclaimed it had awarded a significant amount of scholarships to its previous incoming class. These factors are clearly what differentiates it from other top-ranked European one-year MBA programs.

I am now in IMD and a candidate for their class of 2017. Was it worth it and what are my initial impressions?

Judging from the first week here at IMD, on many of those fronts my personal gamble has delivered. My 89 fellow classmates stem from 45 different countries, and are all characterized by their smarts, approachability, intellectual curiosity, and impressive resumes. They genuinely come from a broad range of industries, spanning from financial services to the public sector, the vast majority with a depth of experience and international perspectives that make the experience truly unique. I can learn and benefit from the experience of my fellow classmates – that’s what makes this different and make me believe I can draw value from this. What I initially saw as a risk has also delivered on a very personal front – I was fortunate enough that the IMD Alumni Association awarded me a scholarship to be here and take part.

From the initial impressions of the first week, where we covered business policy analysis, IMD leadership development programs (where it was ranked above Harvard and Stanford by Bloomberg) to their approach to Entrepreneurship by embedding you with top Swiss startups – the learning approach and quality of people is second-to-none. The personal attention – a key benefit of having a class size of 90 – ranging from partner support, to social events, mean this year will be truly special and I can get maximum learning from my classmates.

What does that big risk look like now? Those Berliners had their blinders on – I’m off to get a sound night’s sleep – knowing that with this MBA program I’m now firmly in the driver’s seat and my future is in my hands now…

Oliver

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Real world impact
Today’s guest entry is from one of our French participants, Thibault Acolas.

The beauty of reading the IMD blog is it enables you to get a “peak behind the curtains”, read the narratives, stories and anecdotes of current MBA candidates and step, just for a few lines, in their shiny shoes… Welcome in mine!

My name is Thibault Acolas and I come from France. I’ve been a naval officer for 10 years, and worked on strategy and operations on destroyers and maritime patrol aircraft in various environments, from the Libya-crisis in 2011, to fighting off piracy in Somalia, to rescuing shipwrecked migrants in the Mediterranean.

I spent some time on this blog while preparing my IMD application, to get a “sense” for what an MBA is like, and especially a small one like IMD. How do 90 MBA candidates from 45 different nationalities, with unique professional profiles, interact and learn from each other? Could someone with no corporate background contribute effectively to the group discussions with “out-of-the-box” ideas?

Now, after 2 weeks at IMD and a few (already intense!) courses on industry analysis, leadership and entrepreneurship, we already get to dive in deep with our Startup project and contribute to making a difference on business ventures. I’ll be working with five classmates on an exciting Startup called “Hydromea” for the next 3 months. We met the two founders yesterday at IMD. They explained to us their 15-year research on a AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle) – basically a submarine – that can operate in a “swarm” formation with other AUVs to measure water data for oil and gas exploration, environmental control. This project was one out of the 15 selected during the IMD 2016 Startup Competition in which 135 startups were evaluated.

The team: Mohammed Allam (Egyptian), Priyanka Chandran (Indian), Will Chiou (Taiwanese), Kemeng Jiao (Chinese/Canadian), Xi (Sissey) Zhang (Chinese) and me with Alex and Felix, “Hydromea” founders, on the top-left side

Our role now is to work with the founders for the next 3 months, get an understanding of their industry, product characteristics and competition to bring them forcefully into the market. It’s about working with the founders as a team, with regular meetings, and use our groups past-experiences in marketing, finance, defense industry.. coupled with our freshly acquired business skills, to bring “Hydromea” to the customers!

So basically, IMD chapter is about teamwork and pace (not haste!). The program is intense but we really have 89 friends to count on. The next months will be full of projects (ICP, NTF, CEP…) and opportunities to contribute in the real world with our learning and create value.

I’m excited!

Thibault

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
neharika_p wrote:
IMD application form doesn't ask for a resume anywhere specifically? Do we upload it under additional documents or we don't need to provide one?

Also, do we need to send our official transcripts to IMD along with application(apart from uploading it) or is that required once admission is secured?

Thanks!

From memory: no resume and paper version of transcript & diploma are to be provided during the assessment day !
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts