Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all IMD applicants: (Jan 2018 Entry) class of Dec 2018! [#permalink]
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: A little bit of this and a little bit of that
Hope all of you are doing well and are enjoying reading about our journey as much as we are enjoying sharing it with you. As I reflect on the 3 weeks that I have gone by, I feel very time warped as I can’t remember what happened when… So much happens everyday.. Yet I also realize that we are already in February and time has just flown by. We have been assigned our respective groups and have had a chance to meet the founders of our startup projects.  It is all picking up pace now!

We had the first entrepreneurship class last week by Prof Benoit Leleux and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The beauty of these classes lies not in the fact that all the cases discussed in class have been written by him but that he has been involved in every case. Learning doesn’t get any more real world than this!  This class has added a whole new dimension to my approach towards analyzing businesses. It has made me cognizant of the fact that as environment changes, businesses can evolve drastically and hence  it is imperative for a business plan to be an evolving story than a static one. I have also begun to realize why VC’s focus so much on teams.

Another exciting event of last week has been our leadership experiential. It seems me to that this is the most well-guarded secret of the IMD program. All my questions to several alumni in the past about what this involves have always gone unanswered. So, I have to keep up with the tradition and I won’t share much about what the experiential entailed but more about our learning. Involving a series of team based activities, the exercise is about looking at self in a group setting. We get to reflect about own behaviors both positive and negative from our own analysis first and then based on feedback from others.  These exercises are like a mirror which show us who we really are. We get back to the point of reflection again as we think about what we can do to improve and evolve as better leaders. Unfortunately, this unique experience and many others morph into some form of assignments eventually which need to be finished so that they can be graded.

Speaking of assignments makes me realize that there is a whole lot of reading to be done for next week and fretting too much or thinking too much about it doesn’t change the outcome! I was told by students from last year how it could get like a pressure cooker in here in  the first half and now I am starting to realize what they truly meant.

Priyanka

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all IMD applicants: (Jan 2018 Entry) class of Dec 2018! [#permalink]
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Photo Blog – 1st Leadership Experiential
These photos have been carefully selected to ensure no secrets are given away to spoil the surprise elements for future generations of IMD MBA participants!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: New website launch
We are happy to announce that the full-time IMD MBA Progam has a new website that has just gone live! We hope you’ll like the new structure and content as you explore our program, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

While the website is a great starting place, we are always happy to welcome you to the campus so that you can discover the atmosphere for yourself and talk about your profile and options.

This month, our official Campus Visit will take place on Monday, 27th February, 10h – 17h30

This visit is a chance to get a tour of the campus, attend a program presentation and Q&A session, have lunch with our MBAs and observe a Startup class in the afternoon.

However, if visiting Lausanne is not an option, we would also be happy to welcome you online for a virtual visit on Thursday, 23rd February at 15h or Tuesday, 7th March at 12h.

Registration for any of these events is available here.

Hope to have the chance to meet you,

Suzy

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Photo blog – February class
A few photos of the MBAs working on a class assignment…

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: One month in…
I was told quite a few times by IMD and other MBA alumni to savor every moment of my year here at IMD because it’s going to be the best year of my life and it will be over before I know it. Now that we’re at the one month mark, I can’t quite decide if the first month flew by in a blink of an eye or if it feels like I’ve been here for a lot longer than that. In many ways, our time here seems to have gone by in a flash especially when you sit down and think of how much we’ve done. The sheer amount of material we have covered in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Marketing, Leadership, Economics, and Operations classes is quite staggering and as I write this I still can’t believe we’ve gone through it all. Not to mention the extracurricular activities we’ve done including leadership experiential days in the French mountains, meeting with our assigned startup companies, executive coaches, and psychoanalysts. Needless to say, the pace here is not a leisurely one and every hour counts so prioritizing and budgeting your time is of the essence.

At the same time, it feels like we’ve been here for much longer that just a month. I think this is because of the personal element and how deep the bonds between the different classmates have become. As you walk up and down the halls of IMD and see the MBA students socializing, joking around, and helping each other on assignments you get the sense that we are a big family that has known each other for a very long time. This isn’t a huge surprise given the small 90-person class size and how much time we spend with each other. But it is still wonderful to see that we can connect so deeply even though we come from 44 different countries and pretty much every industry out there.

We were recently told that you will learn as much or more from your classmates than from your actual professors at IMD. There is no doubt our faculty is world class and I have been nothing but impressed by their teaching but our classmates with their average of 7 years of experience in different industries all over the world are deep wells of knowledge and experience that I have already started to tap into. We are capitalizing on this by creating industry clusters that range from Finance and Consulting to Pharma and NGOs so that those interested in those industries can meet with experts from the program and engage with alumni and others at target companies.

As I reflect back and look forward to the rest of the year, there isn’t much to complain about except that the program is very much frontloaded for the first 4-6 months. The high workload can make getting away for a quick weekend somewhere nearby or even enjoying Lausanne and getting to know your classmates outside of the IMD bubble a little difficult. That being said, it’s nothing crazy and it does teach you the art of balancing priorities and budgeting your time extremely well. After all, it makes sense for a 1-year MBA to be that much more intense than a 2-year program.

Til next time!

Mo

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: IMD '17 (M)
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
2 weeks passed from the 1st round deadline for application submission.

Anyone is invited and coming to Lausanne for an interview?

I would really recommend to get to know each other even before the assesment day since the day is intense and there is a lot of teamwork to do.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has the admissions committee already started sending the invitations ? It mentioned 4 weeks in the email confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Send PM
There might be a chance they invite some candidates for March interview a bit earlier than 4 weeks notice due to visa issues.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
When do the interviews happen in March?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
neharika_p wrote:

I had mine on 18th of March, and as far as I remember that was the second assessment day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vibis wrote:
neharika_p wrote:

I had mine on 18th of March, and as far as I remember that was the second assessment day.

Oh! In that case, I can still keep my hopes of getting an interview call alive ;)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: An insight into enrepreneurship
Today’s guest entry is written by one of our Swiss MBA participants, Philipp Bächtold, who is part of the startup team working with loanboox. His team members are Rahul Adhyapok (Indian), Valeria Cuevas (Mexican), Kuniyuki Furuta (Japanese), Sathappan Sathappan (Singaporean), and Chen Wang (Chinese).

Within the entrepreneurship stream, we are given the opportunity to work with a start-up from Switzerland. We chose loanboox – a very innovative fintech start-up from Zurich which won IMD’s start-up competition in 2016. loanboox is already the biggest P2P financing platform in Switzerland and was named by Swisscom and the think-tank E-Foresight as one of the 10 most relevant Swiss fintech start-ups.

loanboox’s platform went live in September 2016 and has since become very prominent in the press after it reached 1 bn CHF traffic in its first four months, outperforming even the most optimistic expectations, as you can read on https://www.finews.ch. Working with loanboox under these circumstances is thus an exceptional opportunity to get insight into the world of entrepreneurship.

For those of you who don’t know loanboox yet, the start-up basically wants to become the preferred player in the business-to-business direct lending market, matchmaking institutional borrowers and municipal lenders in Switzerland. Local governments can find potential lenders through loanboox’s online platform, which makes the financing process easier, more transparent and secure and less expensive, by eliminating the costs for brokers. This is a truly disruptive business model.

So far, the Swiss market has been highly responsive to the platform launch, having a market share in Switzerland of nearly 20% in the targeted segment already, leading to the ambition to tackle additional markets. And this is where we IMD MBAs come in. After a kick-off meeting with the founders at IMD and a subsequent visit to loanboox’s office in Zurich, we are now ready to support their ambitions.

The expectations and pace have been high but so has been our learning curve. Only one person in our international team of six has prior knowledge of the financial markets. A crash course from Bloomberg and chats with various experts at IMD have been inevitable. Preparing immediately implementable and actionable items are the deliverables we are expected to work out until April. Exciting times are surely ahead of us!

Philipp

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: An insight into entrepreneurship
Today’s guest entry is written by one of our Swiss MBA participants, Philipp Bächtold, who is part of the startup team working with loanboox. His team members are Rahul Adhyapok (Indian), Valeria Cuevas (Mexican), Kuniyuki Furuta (Japanese), Sathappan Sathappan (Singaporean), and Chen Wang (Chinese).

Within the entrepreneurship stream, we are given the opportunity to work with a start-up from Switzerland. We chose loanboox – a very innovative fintech start-up from Zurich which won IMD’s start-up competition in 2016. loanboox is already the biggest P2P financing platform in Switzerland and was named by Swisscom and the think-tank E-Foresight as one of the 10 most relevant Swiss fintech start-ups.

loanboox’s platform went live in September 2016 and has since become very prominent in the press after it reached 1 bn CHF traffic in its first four months, outperforming even the most optimistic expectations, as you can read on https://www.finews.ch. Working with loanboox under these circumstances is thus an exceptional opportunity to get insight into the world of entrepreneurship.

For those of you who don’t know loanboox yet, the start-up basically wants to become the preferred player in the business-to-business direct lending market, matchmaking institutional borrowers and municipal lenders in Switzerland. Local governments can find potential lenders through loanboox’s online platform, which makes the financing process easier, more transparent and secure and less expensive, by eliminating the costs for brokers. This is a truly disruptive business model.

So far, the Swiss market has been highly responsive to the platform launch, having a market share in Switzerland of nearly 20% in the targeted segment already, leading to the ambition to tackle additional markets. And this is where we IMD MBAs come in. After a kick-off meeting with the founders at IMD and a subsequent visit to loanboox’s office in Zurich, we are now ready to support their ambitions.

The expectations and pace have been high but so has been our learning curve. Only one person in our international team of six has prior knowledge of the financial markets. A crash course from Bloomberg and chats with various experts at IMD have been inevitable. Preparing immediately implementable and actionable items are the deliverables we are expected to work out until April. Exciting times are surely ahead of us!

Philipp

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Inspirational ideas wanted, come to Lausanne
Today’s guest entry is written by MBA participant, Alessio Orlando, from Italy. Other members of his startup team are: Mohammad Alsele (Jordanian), Abhijat Chahal (Indian), Martina Heyse (Brazilian/Italian), Qin Li (German), and Zhe Yuan (Chinese).

When you start classes at IMD, if you still do not know that Lausanne is a hub for start-ups, IMD and Entrepreneurship Professor Benoit Leleux will make sure you are fully aware very quickly.

With the annual IMD Startup Competition, the school recruits the most exciting ideas and MBA and Executive MBA participants work on their projects.

Our group has the opportunity to work with Intento, a start up in the field of MedTech which developed a technology to help severely paralyzed stroke patients recover motor function in upper limbs. The solution is based on functional electrical stimulation and it is by far the most user-friendly solution on the market.

Intento founders are two young PhDs from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne. Their competence and communication skills allowed us to take an immediate deep dive into the challenges the company is facing. The product will soon be launched on the market and we are all very excited to help them in this specific phase. Visiting Intento’s office and getting a demo on their incredible product was inspirational.

In fact, apart from the content of the project, this is also a tremendous opportunity to see what a start-up looks like from an inside perspective. We can talk with real entrepreneurs, discuss how they came up with the idea, how the idea evolved into the final product and, of course, how they are dealing with the financing challenges. The founders’ stories are full of passion and persistency. The presence of IMD, EPFL, University of Lausanne and big healthcare companies create a very dynamic and favourable environment for fresh ideas to become a reality, especially for MedTech start-ups.

Now it is on us to give a valuable contribution and help their dream come true.

Alessio

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got an invite for the assessment day last night! Would love to get in touch with other invitees.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
neharika_p wrote:
Got an invite for the assessment day last night! Would love to get in touch with other invitees.

Congratulations! When are you going?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
spa84 wrote:
neharika_p wrote:

Congratulations! When are you going?

The date is set for 21st March. If you happen to know other candidates, please introduce me to them.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts