Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:51 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Apply this fall or next fall, and what schools? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ucdboy wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
ucdboy wrote:
Work experience:
If I apply this fall, 3 years software engineering experience at "hot" ERP tech company. I'll also have received 3 promotions, and potentially a move to a more prestigious role by the time of application

GMAT Score: 740

Undergrad GPA: 3.2

Extra curricular:
This is what worries me. I wasn't exactly an activated member of society before the 2016 election. I volunteered for Hillary for America last August and have continued to volunteer of the group, which now is focused on community outreach. Next month I start a mentorship with SPARK. I've also tried to volunteer with Code2040 and BlackGirlsCode, but they're pretty swamped with volunteers. I also teach programming part time at General Assembly. I'm worried that it's going to appear I was just fluffing my application up, versus actually now caring about things.

Undergrad school/major: Computer Science, UC Davis

Other education/coursework: Should I? I've been thinking about retaking probability & statistics. I got a C in the one course I took, but it was all theory based with an awful professor and most people got Cs and Ds

Race/nationality: White, USA.

Sex: Male

Hey dude,
So basically: So far so good. I wouldn't worry about your ECs, they are actually pretty good. You participated the way you could. Just keep it up and you will have as much as any other candidate.

On the other hand my one "worry" for Top programs is your GPA and undergrad school. It's a good school but not a top feeder to top MBA programs.

But I would say if you applied to a nice spread of schools in the Top 20, you should do pretty fine.

Best,
JF

Thank you very much!

Do you think it's worth it to apply R1 this fall or wait and get another year of experience under my belt?

Do you think Ross is possible?

Ross, and other schools at a similar level should be within range. And yes, R1 this year should be cool. I don't know how much you would gain by waiting another year.

If you are looking for assistance with your strategy and writing, feel free to drop us a line for a profile eval: https://admissionado.com/free-consultati ... n=mba_blog

Hope this helps!!!
Best,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Ross, and other schools at a similar level should be within range. And yes, R1 this year should be cool. I don't know how much you would gain by waiting another year.

If you are looking for assistance with your strategy and writing, feel free to drop us a line for a profile eval:

Hope this helps!!!
Best,
Jon

Thank you!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
ucdboy wrote:
Work experience:
If I apply this fall, 3 years software engineering experience at "hot" ERP tech company. I'll also have received 3 promotions, and potentially a move to a more prestigious role by the time of application

Extra curricular:
This is what worries me. I wasn't exactly an activated member of society before the 2016 election. I volunteered for Hillary for America last August and have continued to volunteer of the group, which now is focused on community outreach. Next month I start a mentorship with SPARK. I've also tried to volunteer with Code2040 and BlackGirlsCode, but they're pretty swamped with volunteers. I also teach programming part time at General Assembly. I'm worried that it's going to appear I was just fluffing my application up, versus actually now caring about things.

Other education/coursework: Should I? I've been thinking about retaking probability & statistics. I got a C in the one course I took, but it was all theory based with an awful professor and most people got Cs and Ds

Three promotions in three years of work experience is pretty outstanding. Over that you are expecting a substantial role change. Unless you are expecting another monumental change in your role/ profile/cpompany, I don't see a reason to wait another year before applying.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
ucdboy wrote:
Work experience:

Extra curricular:

Three promotions in three years of work experience is pretty outstanding. Over that you are expecting a substantial role change. Unless you are expecting another monumental change in your role/ profile/cpompany, I don't see a reason to wait another year before applying.

Fantastic! What range of schools should I be looking for?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ucdboy wrote:
Work experience:

Extra curricular:

Hi there,

I agree with the feedback above in terms of your application timing - I see little upside in waiting one more year, particularly if you're looking to make a career switch (which presumably you are since you're seeking a business degree as an engineer) and you've progressed in your career at a rapid pace already. So go for it!

I wanted to respond to your question re: additional coursework. Although your GMAT does help offset your lower undergrad GPA, I would recommend taking an additional course if you can - ideally through a reputable institution (i.e. UC Berkeley Extension, UNC, etc.) Getting an A in that course will both provide additional evidence of your ability to handle the rigor of the MBA curriculum (that's the main concern from the adcom's perspective when they run into lower GPAs, particularly from non-top institutions) and will demonstrate commitment to the MBA journey. Since you're still so early in the process, you have the time, so why not?

Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ucdboy wrote:
Work experience:

Extra curricular:

Hey there,

We see no reason why you should wait for another year to apply. You are in the ballpark for work experience and you GMAT score too is good.
Strong career progression in next generation companies is definitely strong pointers to project. We don’t think you should bother much for the ECs, let bygones be bygones. Focus on what you have in your hand and be consistent with the same.

In a subsequent post, you asked about Ross. We strongly recommend to apply to Ross among a mix of other stretch and safety schools as we see no reason why you can’t well project your candidature.

We will be happy to take the conversation forward at connect@taterways.com
GMAT Club Bot