Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 03:10 It is currently 03 May 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [31]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620888 [16]
Given Kudos: 81741
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620888 [2]
Send PM
Re: A family of 2 parents and 2 children is waiting in line to order at a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shreeny wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The total # of ways to arrange 4 people is 4!=24. In half of the cases the father will be behind Joey and in half of the cases Joey will be behind his father. So, the answer is 4!/2=12.

Answer: B.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.
I interpreted the question as "father wants to keep Joey right ahead of him in line" and got the answer as 6.

Yes, in this case the answer would be 6: {M}{C}{JF} --> 3!=6.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A family of 2 parents and 2 children is waiting in line to order at a [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
shreeny wrote:
A family of 2 parents and 2 children is waiting in line to order at a fast-food restaurant. Joey, the younger child, has a tendency to cause mischief when he is not watched carefully. Because of this, the father wants to keep Joey ahead of him in line at all times. How many different ways can the family arrange themselves in line such that the father is able to watch Joey?

A. 6
B. 12
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

The total # of ways to arrange 4 people is 4!=24. In half of the cases the father will be behind Joey and in half of the cases Joey will be behind his father. So, the answer is 4!/2=12.

Answer: B.

Questions about the same concept to practice:
susan-john-daisy-tim-matt-and-kim-need-to-be-seated-in-130743.html
meg-and-bob-are-among-the-5-participants-in-a-cycling-race-58095.html
six-mobsters-have-arrived-at-the-theater-for-the-premiere-of-the-126151.html
mary-and-joe-are-to-throw-three-dice-each-the-score-is-the-126407.html
goldenrod-and-no-hope-are-in-a-horse-race-with-6-contestants-82214.html
in-how-many-different-ways-can-the-letters-a-a-b-91460.html

Hope it helps.

Love your simplicity Brunel.

I had to write all the combination

MFCJ
MFJC
FMCJ... etc.. counting all would give us 12
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V24
Send PM
Bunuel, can you explain how do you conclude that half of the cases he will be ahead? Is it something to do with even numbers of people?

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620888 [2]
Send PM
A family of 2 parents and 2 children is waiting in line to order at a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
theGame001 wrote:
Bunuel, can you explain how do you conclude that half of the cases he will be ahead? Is it something to do with even numbers of people?

Thanks

I guess you didn't follow the links my previous post.

Consider this: no matter how this 4 will be arranged there can be only two scenarios, either father is behind Joey (when saying behind I mean not just right behind but simply behind, there may be any number of persons between them) OR Joey is behind father. How else? Now, ask yourself: why should one arrangement give more ways than the other?

Hope it's clear.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2757 [4]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
A family of 2 parents and 2 children is waiting in line to order at a [#permalink]
Kudos
shreeny wrote:
A family of 2 parents and 2 children is waiting in line to order at a fast-food restaurant. Joey, the younger child, has a tendency to cause mischief when he is not watched carefully. Because of this, the father wants to keep Joey ahead of him in line at all times. How many different ways can the family arrange themselves in line such that the father is able to watch Joey?

A. 6
B. 12
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Positions 1st 2nd 3rd 4rd

The cases are
    1. If Joe is in first position then his father can occupy any of the remaining 3 positions.
    2. If Joe is in second position then his father can occupy any of the 3rd and 4th position in the order.
    3. If Joe is in third position then his father can occupy only last position.
In each case the other child and parent can occupy any of the remaining 2 positions in 2! ways.

different ways as per the requirement = (3+2+1)2!=6*2=12

option B is the answer.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6308 [2]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos