Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 23:55 It is currently 23 May 2024, 23:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11693 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Magoosh vs. MGMAT if you're good at self-studying? [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is Mike McGarry from Magoosh. :-)

The first thing I say is that this is a choice of "very good" vs. "very good," or "win" vs. "win."

If you choose the MGMAT route, I assume since you have classified yourself as a "self studier," you wouldn't be taking one of their in-person classes (which, of course, are excellent!) Apart from the official materials, their book set is the best GMAT source in print, and each one gives you access to one of their practice CATs, which are very good. It's very easy to see that if a student learns everything MGMAT has to teach, that student would ace the GMAT.

To be honest, if you have the time and the money, I think the best answer is: BOTH. At Magoosh, we often recommend that our students read the MGMAT books, in addition to watching our lessons, because hearing each idea explained in two different ways is an excellent way to develop deep understanding. Question VE from Magoosh, six practice CATS from MGMAT--superb resources all around!

I don't know whether I have neglected to mention any further benefits of MGMAT: if I did, I am sorry. Perhaps one of those MGMAT folks would like to step in to clarify.

If you have any further questions, you are more than welcome to ask me.

Mike :-)

Hey Mike!

Thank you very much for your detailed response! I actually was referring to the MGMAT in-person course. Is there a benefit to someone who can study alone taking a course like MGMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi macaronittoni,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from https://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hey Rich!

1. Shooting for 730, but would obviously like to do much better.
2. June or July for my first test, with a month later if I'm not happy with the first.
3. R1 this fall.

I'm going to take a CAT soon. I have forgotten the majority of GMAT level math, but it's coming back pretty quickly and will soon be representative of what I feel are my natural abilities.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28672 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh vs. MGMAT if you're good at self-studying? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
macaronittoni wrote:
Hey Mike!

Thank you very much for your detailed response! I actually was referring to the MGMAT in-person course. Is there a benefit to someone who can study alone taking a course like MGMAT?

Dear macaronittoni,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, for this question, I think someone who works at MGMAT would be best qualified to answer. I will share my impressions.

The folks who teach MGMAT courses are not only seriously brilliant people but also wonderful teachers. I have no doubt that the great majority of students in those classes have a positive experience. I know some of those people: they're great!

The only possible downside is the cost. Let's say the whole book set is $200 (US). Let's say the in-person class is ($1200). I don't know the exact prices: these are rough approximations. I think if you pay for the class, you get the books. For someone who is not good at studying, the class would be invaluable, and the books by themselves would not work for that person. By contrast, if you are good at studying on your own, you will get a lot out of just the books: they are loaded with information. You definitely would get more out of the class, but how much more? And would that be worth the $1000 difference? You see, for a poor self-study student, the value added from book to class is immense, but for a good self-study student who already gets a lot from just the books, the value added in moving to the class is less. Really, only you would be able to estimate, as a general rule, what percent of challenging material can you get on your own and for what percent do you need a teacher's insight and perspective? Is that difference worth $1000? Only you can decide this.

Of course, it complicates the matter that, if I understand correctly, you could buy both the entire MGMAT book set and the entire Magoosh package for less than half the cost of the in-person MGMAT class. Given that Magoosh has pedagogy not only in the video lessons but also in the individual question explanations, that's easily a hundred hours of instruction in the Magoosh vault. I think that's more hours than you get in a MGMAT class (27 hours?), not that hours alone is necessarily the best comparison of teaching value. In fact, pedagogical value is hard to quantify and compare.

My friend, you may well want the input of a MGMAT person on this. I'm going to say: you have a lot of information. Do NOT look for anyone else to make up your mind for you. Gather the information you need, and then make a powerful decision about what you are going to do. Don't make a decision simply with your head: make a decision that resonates with the your core of your being. i believe that's how all important decisions should be made. Some day you will be a manager, and it will be your job to make hard decisions. Start practicing that now.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Quote:
I've heard wonderful things about MGMAT, but it seems to be geared to people who need that dedicated sit-down time to study. I'm pretty good at self-studying, so Magoosh, which I've also heard really good things about, is pretty appealing to me as well. Is there any more benefits to MGMAT other than having dedicated studying time, and someone to answer questions?

I haven't bought Manhattan's course, but I have used their study guides and I was also subscribed to Magoosh.
All Manhattan guides are great, but I feel Magoosh subscription is one notch better because it offers video lessons and in case you fail to understand something, you drop them emails too with your doubts. They are very helpful. It is good value for money. Manhattan's foundation book is great to brush up your core fundamentals- something that will be very useful for integer properties and exponents topics- one of the frequently tested topics on the gmat.

that said, if you wish to not spend on either of these resources- you can also check gmatclub's theory book, it's free and covers everything. https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-bo ... 30609.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [1]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM