Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 14:00 It is currently 01 May 2024, 14:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: 6 Ways You Can Balance an MBA with Work and Life

Think pursuing your MBA means sacrificing your family, friends, or current job? Not so.

The Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program is designed as a full student experience on a part-time schedule. We want to propel your career forward while giving you the flexibility to integrate school into your day-to-day life.

How can you do it? We’re so glad you asked.

From choosing a schedule that suits you and enjoying the support of peers, professors, and the program office to integrating your job and school right from the start, there are achievable ways to balance an MBA with work and life—and you'll find them in our free ebook, Balancing Your MBA with Work & Life.

If you’ve been considering an MBA, let us help you find your balance and take the next step with confidence.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Balancing an MBA with Work, Life...and a Passion for Dragon Boating

Back and forth she went, weighing her options. When is the best time to get an MBA?

If she pursued an MBA, what would be sacrificed?

A full time job and a passion for dragon boating played an important part in her life. If she pursued an MBA, what would be sacrificed?

“I considered an MBA for a year or so, but knew I’d need to taper off of competitive dragon boating to do so, so I put applying on the back burner,” says Christine Jiang.

Christine had worked at PG&E in finance, but then transitioned into a program management role. That’s when she decided a part time MBA would be best; balancing an MBA with work might work for her.

How could you work while pursuing your MBA? Get our free ebook onBalancing Your MBA with Work & Life to find out.

Hoping to balance it all, Christine made the leap to pursue her degree in the Evening & Weekend MBA Program at Berkeley-Haas. The combination of reputation and flexibility were key to her decision.

If she started a Berkeley-Haas team, she could continue dragon boating...

Dragon boat racing is a team sport from ancient China. Today it an international sport with competitive teams here in the Bay Area.

Christine practiced dragon boating 3/4ths of the year, 3 times a week, with workouts in between. She was also the co-captain of the PG&E dragon boat team in the novice division.

Trading dragon boating for an MBA and her new position at work was a sacrifice she was willing to make. Yet balancing everything was still a hope. A hope that Berkeley-Haas helped nurture.

“During orientation, fun facts about people in the entering class are shared and it was mentioned that I was a captain on the PG&E dragon boat team—almost immediately people began asking me about the sport,” Christine shares.

That got her thinking. If she started a team, she could continue dragon boating, and it would be a way to network and team build.

She went to work building her team. Her hope was becoming a reality.

Christine could not only earn an MBA while working, but pursue—and share—her passion...

The Haas EWMBA dragon boat team, YOHO (You Only Haas Once) Dragonboathaas (pictured above), made their debut at the Northern California International Dragon Boat race in September 2016 and placed first in their division. Christine was thrilled. It looked like she would be able not only to earn an MBA while working, but to pursue— and share—her passion .

Along with dragon boating, she was able to run for officer positions at other clubs on campus and discover new passions. In turn making her more likely to try something new.

“The big thing is that now when someone says let’s go do this, I barely think twice. If my schedule allows and I'm interested, I say yes,” says Christine.

She saw an opportunity to merge her life with her education, and she took it.

Christine chose the Berkeley Evening and Weekend MBA program because at Haas, we support the balance of life and business higher education. She saw an opportunity to merge her life with her education and she took it.

How could you balance your education with your passion? Find out with our new ebook.  

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Should I Retake the GMAT

Taking standardized tests like the GMAT and GRE is, of course, part of applying to top MBA programs—but did you know that applicants are taking these tests more than once in hopes of increasing their score? 

The Graduate Management Admission Council reports that nearly 30 percent of people take the GMAT two times or more, and the Educational Testing Service reports that approximately one in four people take the GRE more than once. In both cases, individuals who take the test twice usually score higher the second time around.

Does the Berkeley MBA Have a Minimum Required GMAT Score?
Berkeley MBA Programs have no minimum required GMAT or GRE score, but our admissions committees do suggest trying to get the best score you can, based on the mean and median scores for programs in which you’re interested.

Prepping for business school entrance exams? Download our free ebook with Berkeley MBA GMAT/GRE Test Prep Tips
"We don’t have a minimum score, but we do suggest an applicant shoot for the 600 range on the GMAT in order to be competitive for the program," says Susan Petty, director of admissions for the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program. "That's not to say that we won't take people under 600; it just depends on the strength of the rest of their application."

If you don’t hit your particular target on the first try, Susan recommends retaking the GMAT or GRE. Doing so can make you look good as an applicant because it shows commitment and a dedication to studying that can bode well for success in the program.

"We’ll often encourage people, especially those who have been away from standardized tests for a long time, to retake the exam. Taking it the first time is almost a refresh. We find that if they take it again, they can often do a lot better," says Susan. "In some cases, when we see a lot of strength in the rest of application, and the standardized test score is an area that is not that competitive, we'll actually reach out to applicants and ask them if they're willing to retake the exam."

Why Retake the GMAT or GRE
Candice Knoll, a student in the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program and co-president of the EWMBA Student Association, had a good score on the GMAT the first time around, but she wanted to strengthen her application even further, so she decided to retake the test. She recommends that other applicants do the same.

"Students should take it again if they have the chance. It doesn't hurt you. If you take it again, and don't get a better score, you can cancel that score," says Candice.

Test prep…and more test prep can also help you get back into school mode by sharpening your critical thinking and study skills so that you are more prepared for business school.

Whether you're asking yourself, "Should I retake the GMAT?" or getting ready to test your skills for the first time, our free ebook can help. 

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Should I Retake the GMAT?

Taking standardized tests like the GMAT and GRE is, of course, part of applying to top MBA programs—but did you know that applicants are taking these tests more than once in hopes of increasing their score? 

The Graduate Management Admission Council reports that nearly 30 percent of people take the GMAT two times or more, and the Educational Testing Service reports that approximately one in four people take the GRE more than once. In both cases, individuals who take the test twice usually score higher the second time around.

Does the Berkeley MBA Have a Minimum Required GMAT Score?
Berkeley MBA Programs have no minimum required GMAT or GRE score, but our admissions committees do suggest trying to get the best score you can, based on the mean and median scores for programs in which you’re interested.

Prepping for business school entrance exams? Download our free ebook with Berkeley MBA GMAT/GRE Test Prep Tips
"We don’t have a minimum score, but we do suggest an applicant shoot for the 600 range on the GMAT in order to be competitive for the program," says Susan Petty, director of admissions for the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program. "That's not to say that we won't take people under 600; it just depends on the strength of the rest of their application."

If you don’t hit your particular target on the first try, Susan recommends retaking the GMAT or GRE. Doing so can make you look good as an applicant because it shows commitment and a dedication to studying that can bode well for success in the program.

"We’ll often encourage people, especially those who have been away from standardized tests for a long time, to retake the exam. Taking it the first time is almost a refresh. We find that if they take it again, they can often do a lot better," says Susan. "In some cases, when we see a lot of strength in the rest of application, and the standardized test score is an area that is not that competitive, we'll actually reach out to applicants and ask them if they're willing to retake the exam."

Why Retake the GMAT or GRE
Candice Knoll, a student in the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program and co-president of the EWMBA Student Association, had a good score on the GMAT the first time around, but she wanted to strengthen her application even further, so she decided to retake the test. She recommends that other applicants do the same.

"Students should take it again if they have the chance. It doesn't hurt you. If you take it again, and don't get a better score, you can cancel that score," says Candice.

Test prep…and more test prep can also help you get back into school mode by sharpening your critical thinking and study skills so that you are more prepared for business school.

Whether you're asking yourself, "Should I retake the GMAT?" or getting ready to test your skills for the first time, our free ebook can help. 

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Balancing an MBA With Work, Wedding Planning, and More

A mentor recommended she get her MBA. She knew it would be a time commitment, but it would help her get ahead.

Shanna Wagnor was ambitious. She worked at Salesforce, she exercised daily and she liked to spend time with friends. How could she fit an MBA into her busy life without the sacrifice?

Full-time MBA studies weren't an option. She had bills to pay. Part-time—now that could work, she realized. Shanna did her homework.

“I did a lot of research. I met with as many people as I could. I went to the Berkeley-Haas Women’s Dinner in SF. I met Courtney Chandler (then program Dean) who gave me advice,” remembers Shanna.

And that’s what it took. Confident that balancing an MBA with work and life could happen, Shanna applied to the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program, to get ahead and keep her job in the process.

Balancing the Dream with...Dreamforce
The biggest event of the year for Salesforce, is Dreamforce., the annual 4-day long event for customers and potential customers. It takes a whole year to plan.

The week of the show, Shanna works 12 hour days. From morning to night, there are presentations, meetings, events, roundtables, parties, and more parties. And for Shanna, this time there was school.

“That week I had to miss Wed-Friday classes and, to be honest, though I went to class the week before, I was distracted… just trying to keep both things moving,” says Shanna.

Lucky for her, early communication paid off. She told her professors about the event in advance, and they understood.

She also traveled a lot, and had to work late at times. But working with her professors she was able to balance her career and school.

“As long as you stay on top of the communication and ensure it’s open and early, the staff and the professors can be incredibly accommodating and understanding,” remembers Shanna.

Marrying Work and Life
Balancing a demanding career and an MBA was challenging for Shanna. But not so challenging that she couldn’t also find time to plan her wedding the last year of the program.

“I just got married this past summer, so also had to plan my wedding during my EWMBA,” she says.

If you talk to Shanna now, she’ll tell you. Every minute counts. There have been a lot of advantages to her MBA professionally but the biggest lesson learned is this: use every minute. Work, workout, meet with friends, even plan a wedding.

Finding Balance
After the prompting of a mentor, Shanna chose the Berkeley Evening and Weekend MBA program. At Haas we support the balance of a demanding career and business higher education. She saw a chance to get ahead and keep working and she took it. ...How will you balance your career and education? Find out today.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Why an Accelerated Part-time MBA Option Was Right for Nikhil Kumar 

When Nikhil Kumar was deciding on part-time MBA programs, a 2.5-year accelerated plan was important to him.

Ultimately, having that option played a big role in his choosing of the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program. “I knew I wanted to complete a program in as little as 2.5 years,” he says.

For Nikhil, a Technical Marketing Engineer at Rohde & Schwarz, the decision was a matter of personal productivity. "The way I normally function, I like to start and finish a project without taking breaks. This way, I remain focused.." Knowing his best style allowed Nikhil to tap into the benefits he truly wanted from the program: from working with his fellow students in the classroom to gaining skills and knowledge he could apply in the real world.

Of course, there was also the benefit of saving a bit of time. "I saved time with the 2.5-year plan…and I could more quickly apply all that I've learned." Most notably, Nikhil didn't feel his accelerated pace sacrificed the social aspect at Haas at all—a concern students may have about cutting their time short. "I also built a lot of relationships," he says, "and that's key to any business school experience."

I saved time...I also built a lot of relationships, and that's key to any business school experience.”

Nikhil advises prospective students to explore which timeline best aligns with their goals in the long run and execute that plan. "For me, I entered the Berkeley MBA Program with the goal to finish in 2.5 years. I always knew I wanted to do this."

Want to learn more about an accelerated part-time MBA option available through the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program? Request a personal consultation.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Student Perspective: The Berkeley MBA for Social Impact

How do you see yourself making an impact on society?

From hands-on learning opportunities to peers that inspire, Berkeley-Haas offers students in our Evening & WeekendFull-time, and MBA for Executives Programs many ways to gain social impact perspective and experience—and to make a difference wherever and however they choose. We invite you to meet a few students who have shaped their MBA for social impact:

Ijeh Ogbechie, MBA 17, Principal, Haas Socially Responsible Investment Fund (Evening & Weekend MBA)
Senior Operations Associate, Algert Global LLC

“I want to focus my career toward a position where I can have a greater positive social impact on my community. Berkeley-Haas is hands-down the best school in that sector. It not only offers great classes on the topic, but I'm also I’m forming networks with companies and individuals who are committed to social impact.”

Katie Benintende, MBA 15, Mayfield Fellow, Net Impact VP (Full-time MBA)
Senior Strategy Lead, Google  

“When I was on the fence, deciding between pursuing a technology path or exploring the social impact sector, career coaches helped me sort out the opportunities to do both. There are a lot of tech companies that have strong missions to be environmentally sustainable.”

To learn more, download our free ebook on the Berkeley MBA and Social Impact

Andrew Hening, MBA 17 (Evening & Weekend MBA)
Director Homeless Planning & Outreach, City of San Rafael

“I first thought I would use my MBA studies as a foundation for starting a socially responsible business. My new job with the City of San Rafael was unexpected, but when I saw how much opportunity there is for government to improve people’s lives by using more of a ‘business mindset’, I jumped at the opportunity.”

Sonali Patel, MBA 17 (Executive MBA)
Policy Fellow, Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago

“Given my background (former White House policy advisor), it would be too easy to choose Beyond Yourself as my favorite of the Defining Principles. I’ve always been encouraged by mentors and my own curiosity to Question the Status Quo. But questioning is only the beginning; Berkeley-Haas is giving me the skills to undertake the real work of solving tough problems which in turn, contributes to improving the world.”

Olivia Anglade, MBA 16 (Full-time MBA)
Consultant, The Boston Consulting Group

“Everyone at Berkeley-Haas has big ideas, they really do want to go Beyond Themselves by having an impact on society. My personal interest in social impact prompted me to lead a Career Trek to two Bay Area consulting firms that specialize in social impact consulting.”

Jacob Kislevitz, MBA 17 (Executive MBA)
Manager, Climate Change and Sustainability Services, EY

“I work with my clients to realize the value of environmental and social responsibility and strengthen relationships with their customers, employees, suppliers and the communities in which they operate. At Berkeley-Haas I am learning how to better align traditional organizational priorities with leading ethical and responsible corporate practices.”

Could an MBA help you make the the difference you want to make? Get our free ebook to take a closer look at social impact opportunities at Berkeley-Haas. 

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Why Business School? For a Career Switch to Product Management

Swetha Tupelly is about to celebrate her first year as a product manager at ServiceMax, a SaaS division of GE Digital. The new position is a big leap from her previous role as a technical lead and engineer at Qualcomm.

She worked at the San Diego semiconductor firm for eight years building connectivity in consumer devices. The key tool to making that leap: A Berkeley MBA in the Evening & Weekend Program.

Raised in Hyderabad, India, Swetha received her bachelor’s degree in electronics and communications engineering from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University and her master’s in electrical engineering from Villanova University in Pennsylvania. Her technical training enabled her to move from independent designer to integration lead to managing entire projects. But she was always interested seeing the bigger picture, she says, “and how a product would affect the end user.”

“I wanted to be more outwardly focused, to define how the product is designed according to the market,” she remembers. “I was still at the back end of things, not making the big calls.” She began to investigate the role of product manager, with its combination of leadership, business acumen, and technical expertise and to explore different paths toward a product management role.

Can an MBA help you switch industries as well as positions?
Why business school? “Many people said I didn’t need an MBA,” Swetha says, “but in the end I decided it would be very helpful. It would be a way of differentiating myself, opening some doors, and competing with those who had more PM experience.” She also wanted to move from the semiconductor industry to software, where she felt the opportunities would be greater. She researched business schools’ recruiting resources, career services, and professional support to see if they would make such a transition possible.

Once she decided to pursue an MBA, however, there were a few obstacles. She evaluated full-time programs, but that option would mean postponing the family she and her husband wanted to start. “I also didn’t want to begin school and then have a baby right after taking a new job,” she says. “After I had my daughter, it became clear that a part-time MBA program would be a better fit.” Swetha already knew she wanted to attend a branded school like Berkeley-Haas, but she lived in Southern California. By then she also had an 18-month-old baby. She negotiated with her employer to transfer both her and her husband – who also worked for Qualcomm – to the San Jose office.

Swetha's pick: the most helpful MBA course for a career switch to product management
The Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA curriculum taught Swetha  about skills and functions she had been previously unaware of, including sales channel strategies, business model innovations, effective negotiations, and more. “A lot of industry professionals came and spoke, offering so many new perspectives that we could apply to different industries,” she says. She found her marketing analytics course especially helpful: it offered new insights on how to build a business case for analytics, how to think about data, and technical knowledge – from machine-learning algorithms to enterprise software.

Now a product manager at a firm providing field service software for big businesses, Swetha is exactly where she’d hoped she’d be. “The past few years have been filled with hard work, difficult decisions, and a fair amount of stress”, she concedes, but she says it’s all been worth it to achieve her goal. “You need to step back and really examine your priorities,” she advises. “Berkeley’s part-time MBA allowed me to make it all work.”

Swetha Tupelly decided a career switch to product management was right for her. Are you considering a career switch? Get our five steps toward making your next career move

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Haas '22 (I)
Send PM
so no uc schools allows affirmative action correct?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72968 [0]
Given Kudos: 18900
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Berkeley Haas Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Berkeley Haas Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Berkeley Haas Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Berkeley Haas Forum to dive into all things related to Berkeley Haas's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts