It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.76
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 15:02
For those waiting, I got the same email asking me to wait till July 8th.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.7
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 15:12
binaryuser01 wrote:
orangerie wrote:
diptimba wrote:

I was hoping to get an email stating their inability to offer an admission. But they have asked me to wait till July 8. Has anyone else recived this email ?

At least they gave you a date! Last year when I was WLed (R2 and R3) I didn't hear until getting a call on 7/24, the week before classes were going to start.

Good luck to those still waiting!

I see you got in this year in EWMBA18 from your profile. But you got the accepted call on 7/24 last year? Did you chose not to start your MBA last year?

No, sorry I wasn't more clear. I was waitlisted from R2 all the way to 7/24/14 when I got the call that there were no more spots left. But I hadn't received any communication about a next decision date like those this year with the 7/8 email.

I reapplied this cycle R2 and was accepted.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 15:23
binaryuser01 wrote:
orangerie wrote:
diptimba wrote:

I was hoping to get an email stating their inability to offer an admission. But they have asked me to wait till July 8. Has anyone else recived this email ?

At least they gave you a date! Last year when I was WLed (R2 and R3) I didn't hear until getting a call on 7/24, the week before classes were going to start.

Good luck to those still waiting!

I see you got in this year in EWMBA18 from your profile. But you got the accepted call on 7/24 last year? Did you chose not to start your MBA last year?

orangerie never said that the call was for acceptance ;)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 16:12
I got the "decision by July 8th" email too. Congrats to those who got accepted :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Do I Need an MBA to be a product manager? Part I [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 11:01
FROM The Berkeley EWMBA Blog: Do I Need an MBA to be a product manager? Part I

Meet Max Wesman, senior director of product for GoodHire (which offers employment background check services) and a 2010 graduate of the Berkeley-Haas full-time MBA program. Max talked with us about his career in product management:

What did you do prior to pursuing your MBA? 

I was a management consultant with Deloitte Consulting. 

What interested you about product management?

I loved consulting because of the variety of work I was exposed to and the challenge of constantly learning new skills, while attacking challenging and interesting problems. I also worked with incredibly smart and driven colleagues. What I felt I was lacking was a strong sense of ownership over the work I was doing and the feeling of creating something tangible. 

For me, product management was a great opportunity to blend what I loved about consulting with being able to nurture, build, and launch a product or service into the market that people would use and enjoy. Not only that, but I would be able to stick around after finishing a project and work on improving the experience for the next release, all while working with customers to better understand their needs.

What are your responsibilities as a product manager?

My main focuses are making sure that our business is always moving forward, that we're exceeding customer expectations, and that my team feels supported and passionate about their work.

More specifically, I'm responsible for our product strategy and road map, prioritization of our release schedule, general guidance for the engineering team, communications to the broader company and executive team, and ensuring that support and business operations are running smoothly. I manage a group of product managers responsible for various segments of our products, our UI and UX designers, and our business analyst.

How has earning your business degree helped? 

It first exposed me to alumni in the field who shared their experiences and various paths to reach their chosen careers. I used the Haas network to contact alums all over the Valley for informational interviews about what life as a PM was like at companies like Apple and Google. I also attended guest lectures by prominent PMs and used mock interviews to practice and focus in on areas where I needed improvement.

Ultimately, I used on-campus recruiting to help secure a summer internship as a PM and eventually a full-time role. My MBA very much contributed to me getting my first job as a product manager.

While in school, I focused on taking classes and building up experiences that I thought would help me look better to companies hiring PMs and assist me down the line in the actual job. Classes like Organizational Behavior, Customer and Market Development, Statistics, Financial Modeling, Negotiations, Leadership Communications, Market Research, Strategy, and Entrepreneurship all helped me strengthen my core PM skills.

In my career as a PM, I’ve definitely had to reach back into my business school experiences bag for everything from dealing with troublesome personalities on development teams, pricing new products, evaluating A-B tests for statistical significance, presenting a product vision, and building financial models for forecasting.

Should someone interested in product management pursue an MBA?

For those looking to get into this field, I recommend going to b-school particularly when the person comes from a non-technical field or has little previous business experience.

While there is no proper “Product Management course” in many programs (Note that the Berkeley MBA Program offers Managing the New Product Development Process), a curriculum of relevant classes and work experiences can easily be assembled to help build up a person’s PM career readiness.

The other benefit is obviously the network. Being able to talk to experienced product managers about their day-to-day roles, and learning the do’s and don’ts of interviewing is invaluable. In addition, many top employers looking to hire PMs come directly to business schools to recruit on-campus. 

Want to know more about where our graduates go to work and what they do? Check out our latest employment report.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 17:28
Anybody heard back from them today?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 17:30
pgmatk wrote:

I got a call today asking if I was still interested in being on the waitlist. Of course, I said yes.

Sounds like they want a completely full class so they are waiting to see what other admits do. She said they will be admitting students all the way up to orientation so it'll be a long wait but hopefully worth it.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 17:43
chptung wrote:
pgmatk wrote:

I got a call today asking if I was still interested in being on the waitlist. Of course, I said yes.

Sounds like they want a completely full class so they are waiting to see what other admits do. She said they will be admitting students all the way up to orientation so it'll be a long wait but hopefully worth it.

Thanks for your response.. I have not heard back either way, which I find surprising!

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 17:57
pgmatk wrote:
chptung wrote:
pgmatk wrote:

Thanks for your response.. I have not heard back either way, which I find surprising!

Hmm very surprising. I have not heard from them either.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 10:28
I didn't hear anything back either. I was expecting a ding email yesterday because didn't get a call either.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
hey guys ...congrats to the new admits and good luck to all who are still waiting. I am a current student and arrived on this forums for the first time after a long long time! If anyone who is waiting/re-applying has any specific questions regarding their admission essays, interview or mapping the Haas MBA journey to the career aspirations, please feel free to send me a message. I have some bandwidth before Fall starts and would be happy to talk (and return the favor to the forum!)

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 23:03
I emailed adcom today for an update and received a response saying that I am still waitlisted with the possibility of staying on the waitlist until July 24th, 1 week before orientation.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2015, 10:14
pm1213 wrote:
I emailed adcom today for an update and received a response saying that I am still waitlisted with the possibility of staying on the waitlist until July 24th, 1 week before orientation.

Same!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2015, 10:33
chptung wrote:
pgmatk wrote:

chptung, are you applying from outside the Bay Area? If not, then you might be at the head of the waitlist, since you received a call from adcom while other waitlisted folks did not.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2015, 15:27
pm1213 wrote:
chptung wrote:
pgmatk wrote:

chptung, are you applying from outside the Bay Area? If not, then you might be at the head of the waitlist, since you received a call from adcom while other waitlisted folks did not.

I was applying outside but I've since moved to the Bay Area. Hopefully, they'll take that as a sign of dedication?

One other gmatclub-er got a call and wrote about it here, and my call was almost identical. Let's hope a few of us still get in!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V35
Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 20:30
so I finally got dinged. my journey to re-take the GMAT starts soon.

Would any one be willing to donate their GMAT books? I am looking for
Manhattan verbal books
Official Guide
Aristotle Sentence Correction

it is ok if your book is all highlighted and/or are in bad shape. I can pay shipping. Really appreciate your help and congratulation to people who got in Haas. Cheers

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 22:43
HeartHaas wrote:
so I finally got dinged. my journey to re-take the GMAT starts soon.

Would any one be willing to donate their GMAT books? I am looking for
Manhattan verbal books
Official Guide
Aristotle Sentence Correction

it is ok if your book is all highlighted and/or are in bad shape. I can pay shipping. Really appreciate your help and congratulation to people who got in Haas. Cheers

Sorry to hear about your ding. Have you scheduled a feedback session with Haas adcom, to confirm the need to retake the GMAT?

I looked just now, and the San Francisco library does have several Manhattan strategy guides available. Also, to get online access to all Manhattan practice exams, you just have to get an access code (unused) from any one of the Manhattan GMAT books. Feel free to PM if you need any suggestions for GMAT prep. Good luck with your future application.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 09:56
I am IN !! Just got a call from Haas. I shocked excited and shaken up right now but finally after waiting for so long, it was worth it. Goodluck to all waiting. I hope more waitlisted people will get in by this week or next week.

For what its worth, I was a R2 Waitlist, then got waited again in R3/R4, 710 GMAT, Re-wrote my essays, had significant changes in job responsibilities so updated my resume.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 10:00
binaryuser01 wrote:
I am IN !! Just got a call from Haas. I shocked excited and shaken up right now but finally after waiting for so long, it was worth it. Goodluck to all waiting. I hope more waitlisted people will get in by this week or next week.

For what its worth, I was a R2 Waitlist, then got waited again in R3/R4, 710 GMAT, Re-wrote my essays, had significant changes in job responsibilities so updated my resume.

Congrats! I'm encouraged to see your hard work paid off.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 10:37
binaryuser01 wrote:

Congrats! Just curious: were you able to get an idea of how many more spots they had left?

Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2018   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2015, 10:37

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  44    Next  [ 871 posts ]