Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 15:31 It is currently 08 May 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Getting candidates into great schools!
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [1]
Send PM
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [2]
Send PM
Re: Columbia MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
From Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts), https://www.mbaadmit.com, email: info@mbaadmit.com

Interested in learning if we think you can be successful as a top MBA applicant? Sign up for a FREE Profile Evaluation directly from Dr. Shel Watts, a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Fill out the form on our homepage at https://www.mbaadmit.com

Opt to work directly with Dr. Shel on your MBA applications! Ask about our current specials – Comprehensive packages beginning at $1895 (Compare with our competitors who charge $4,400!); Basic editing of one application for $995. Valid through March 30, 2017.

Columbia January-Start Program - Who Should Consider It?

Columbia Graduate School of Business offers an “accelerated” MBA program that is only a few months shorter than its two-year MBA program and begins in January rather than in August.

As Columbia GSB explains on its website, you begin the January-start program with your first MBA semester in January of your Year 1. Your second semester will be in that year’s summer (hence, you will not have a summer internship). In your third semester, which will take place beginning in August, you will be integrated with the full-time MBA applicants who gained admissions under Early Decision or Regular Decision. Your fourth and final semester will begin the next January.

Who is Columbia’s January-start program ideal for? The first set of ideal candidates are those who do not need a summer internship or who know a school-year internship will suffice for them. Some candidates simply don’t need an internship because they want to return post-MBA to their current employer, they have another post-MBA job lined up already, or post-MBA they will be returning to their own company (family business or entrepreneurial). Other candidates do a little research and find that their target post-MBA employer hires school-year interns, and therefore the January-start option is very viable because they can try to gain access to their target employer through the school-year internship option.

The second set of candidates that should consider the January-start program includes candidates who have a notable flaw in their credentials – a flaw so noteworthy that it would likely derail their efforts to achieve admission to Columbia through the Early Decision or Regular Decision August-entry paths. The flawed credential could be a couple of notable employment gaps or a couple of one-year jobs (the top MBA programs prefer to see a candidate stay with a company at least two years). The weak credential can be age - an older candidate might fare better in the January-start pool. The flawed credential could be a low GMAT score – perhaps around 600. Among other issues, the flawed credential could also be a less-than-ideal undergraduate performance.

Because the January-start program has the least competition for admission, when compared with your odds for admissions success through Columbia’s two August entry points (Early Decision and Regular Decision), you should have the best chance to override a notable credential flaw in the January-start pool. So, if you have such a notable weakness in your credentials but want to preserve the option to study at Columbia Graduate School of Business, consider whether the January-start route is ideal for you.

Thinking of applying to Columbia Business School? Feel free to reach out to us for a free 30-minute introductory call or sign up at https://www.mbaadmit.com for a FREE profile evaluation.

We welcome you to sign up for our FREE informative Newsletter, which provides useful tips, insider information and guidance for applying to top MBA programs. Sign up on the right hand side of our homepage at https://www.mbaadmit.com.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts)
President, MBA Admit.com

https://www.mbaadmit.com
Email: info@mbaadmit.com
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM

The leaders in the MBA admissions space—mbaMission and Manhattan Prep —are coming together to make sure you will be ready for the 2017–2018 MBA admissions season. Join us for a free, five-part webinar series called “Your Dream MBA: 5 Steps to Getting In.” Senior Consultants from mbaMission will address and explain different significant admissions issues, while experts from Manhattan Prep will help you tackle some of the toughest challenges GMAT test takers face, offering valuable insight and advice.

These live webinars are held on Wednesdays from 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. EDT.

Please sign up for each session separately via the links below—space is limited.
  • Session 5: May 10, 2017: Questions and Answers with MBA Admissions Officers
    *Admissions officers on this panel include: 
    Bruce DelMonico, Yale School of Management
    Amanda Carlson, Columbia Business School
    Additional admissions officers yet to be announced!

Enroll today!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Great post! Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Please see updated & edited third post

Originally posted by Uha68 on 28 Apr 2017, 07:59.
Last edited by Uha68 on 28 Apr 2017, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Uha68 wrote:
ShellyLWatts wrote:
From Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts), https://www.mbaadmit.com, email: info@mbaadmit.com

Interested in learning if we think you can be successful as a top MBA applicant? Sign up for a FREE Profile Evaluation directly from Dr. Shel Watts, a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Fill out the form on our homepage at https://www.mbaadmit.com

Opt to work directly with Dr. Shel on your MBA applications! Ask about our current specials – Comprehensive packages beginning at $1895 (Compare with our competitors who charge $4,400!); Basic editing of one application for $995. Valid through March 30, 2017.

Columbia January-Start Program - Who Should Consider It?

Columbia Graduate School of Business offers an “accelerated” MBA program that is only a few months shorter than its two-year MBA program and begins in January rather than in August.

As Columbia GSB explains on its website, you begin the January-start program with your first MBA semester in January of your Year 1. Your second semester will be in that year’s summer (hence, you will not have a summer internship). In your third semester, which will take place beginning in August, you will be integrated with the full-time MBA applicants who gained admissions under Early Decision or Regular Decision. Your fourth and final semester will begin the next January.

Who is Columbia’s January-start program ideal for? The first set of ideal candidates are those who do not need a summer internship or who know a school-year internship will suffice for them. Some candidates simply don’t need an internship because they want to return post-MBA to their current employer, they have another post-MBA job lined up already, or post-MBA they will be returning to their own company (family business or entrepreneurial). Other candidates do a little research and find that their target post-MBA employer hires school-year interns, and therefore the January-start option is very viable because they can try to gain access to their target employer through the school-year internship option.

The second set of candidates that should consider the January-start program includes candidates who have a notable flaw in their credentials – a flaw so noteworthy that it would likely derail their efforts to achieve admission to Columbia through the Early Decision or Regular Decision August-entry paths. The flawed credential could be a couple of notable employment gaps or a couple of one-year jobs (the top MBA programs prefer to see a candidate stay with a company at least two years). The weak credential can be age - an older candidate might fare better in the January-start pool. The flawed credential could be a low GMAT score – perhaps around 600. Among other issues, the flawed credential could also be a less-than-ideal undergraduate performance.

Because the January-start program has the least competition for admission, when compared with your odds for admissions success through Columbia’s two August entry points (Early Decision and Regular Decision), you should have the best chance to override a notable credential flaw in the January-start pool. So, if you have such a notable weakness in your credentials but want to preserve the option to study at Columbia Graduate School of Business, consider whether the January-start route is ideal for you.

Thinking of applying to Columbia Business School? Feel free to reach out to us for a free 30-minute introductory call or sign up at https://www.mbaadmit.com for a FREE profile evaluation.

We welcome you to sign up for our FREE informative Newsletter, which provides useful tips, insider information and guidance for applying to top MBA programs. Sign up on the right hand side of our homepage at https://www.mbaadmit.com.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts)
President, MBA Admit.com

Hi Shelly,

I was wondering if you can give me some advise on if I should apply J term or early decision.

I am one of those candidates with a notable weakness, here's my stats.

-I graduated w/ a 2.0 (still battling my self esteem b/c of it) but I had EXTREME circumstances (mostly due to family) that contributed to that which I will highlight in my essay. However, that was 4 years ago.

-Since then, I've taken about 15 continuing education post bacc grad classes at NYU in finance, Econ, math and writing

-I've also studied in Italy for a yr, taking three heavy quant classes

- done a 5 month teach abroad in Senegal, 3
Month financial analysis internship in South Africa

-I scorned 720 on my GMAT, am 31, African American female and Brooklyn native

-for 2 years I've been a grad assistant of a 2 yr non profit that places 30 female state university of ny students (I also went to a SUNY) into highly prestigious internships like Clinton Foundation, state dept etc

-I'm on my community board's economic and social council
-I volunteer tutor refugee adults in the NYC area

-lastly I've worked as analyst at a mid tier firm for 2 yrs.

Although my undergrad gpa was 4 yrs ago, should I apply in j-term? Early decision (b/c Columbia really is the only school I want to go to), retake the gmat for a higher score or do something else all together to strengthen my chances?

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
Send PM

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/single-post/2017/05/05/Columbia-Business-School-Class-of-2020---Fall-2017-Essay-Question-Analysis

Happy Cinco De Mayo! Once you are finished celebrating, you may want to get started on your Columbia essays. Columbia Business School has just released its application deadlines and questions for the class of 2020! Read below for Personal MBA Coach Founder Scott Edinburgh’s essay analysis.

Early Decision / January Term (J-Term)
October 4, 2017

Merit Based Fellowship Deadline
January 5, 2018

Final Regular Decision
April 11, 2018

*Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis

This year, Columbia again has three questions, all of which have changed somewhat from last year. These three questions together will prompt candidates to cover a wide range of information about goals, plans on campus and personality. Be sure that you do not repeat yourself across the essays and that they all work together to paint an accurate and consistent picture of your candidacy.

Essay #1: Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3 - 5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)
Columbia again specifically asks that candidates not repeat their resumes in this career goals question. This does not mean that you cannot mention your past at all, but any mention should be brief and used as context to further elaborate on why your goals are attainable. This question explicitly asks for both a short-term goal and a long-term dream job so be sure to include both. These goals should show a logical progression from your current experience. If they do not, then a brief explanation is a good idea so that the admissions committee can understand how you will realistically attain your goals. Discussing your long-term dream job is an opportunity to show the admissions committee your true ambitions and what really matters to you professionally. It is important that candidates have lofty goals here but ones that make sense for them and fit with both their short-term goals and overall story. This is a unique chance to show not only how you envision your career unfolding but to give the reader a little more insight into who you are. While not explicitly asked, a bit on the skills or experiences from Columbia that will allow you to achieve these goals could add some nice perspective and a segue into Essay #2.
Essay #2: The full-time MBA experience includes academics, recruiting and networking. What are your personal priorities and how do you anticipate allocating your time at Columbia Business School? (250 words)

For this question, I recommend that candidates think specifically about WHY they are getting an MBA and what it will allow them to accomplish. For instance: Are you looking to switch careers? Do you already have a post-MBA offer and need to instead brush up on very specific skills in order to succeed in that role? Are you looking to build a network and support as you launch your own company? Whatever your specific motivation might be, state that here and then include details on how you will achieve this at Columbia. Research is key to answering this question well. Take the time to learn about all Columbia has to offer and be very specific in discussing how you plan to be involved on campus and what you this will get you. Not everyone will need to touch on academics, recruiting and networking but be sure to cover off on more than one aspect of the MBA program.
Essay #3: Please select and answer one of the following essay questions: (250 words)
a: Please tell us what you feel most passionate about in life.
b: If you were given a free day and could spend it anywhere, in any way you choose, what would you do?

This third question gives candidates a chance to discuss another aspect of their candidacy with the admissions committee. In most cases, I would recommend using this to share something more personal. This does not have to be the case, but it is a good opportunity to paint a clearer picture of who you are and complement what you wrote in the first two essays.

For those selecting question A, be sure to talk about just one thing. In 250 words, a list will not be effective. This is the opportunity to share a passion, perhaps a sport or a special skill or talent that you have. If you are very involved in an extracurricular activity, this would also work well. Be sure to cover off on why it is important to you and what you have accomplished.

For those selecting question B, this should again show more about who you are personally. The why here is more important than the what and should tell the admissions committee more about what matters to you. Perhaps you have a hobby that can be best accomplished in another country, such as skiing the Lauberhorn in Switzerland. Or maybe you want to explore an important part of your culture or ancestry. Whatever you select here, make sure it serves to explain your personality and goes well beyond always wanting to visit a particular beach in Fiji.

Remember, with 1,000 words total here, it is important you are not repeating yourself too much and that you maximize every word.

If you would like individual and personalized support while applying to Columbia, please find information about Personal MBA Coach’s comprehensive packages or contact us to learn how we can help! Last year we not only got applicants into Columbia, but helped them to receive over $600,000 in scholarships ($3.5M+ across all schools). scott@personalmbacoach.com  - www.personalmbacoach.com

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/single-post/2017/05/05/Columbia-Business-School-Class-of-2020---Fall-2017-Essay-Question-Analysis
SVP
SVP
Send PM

Are you applying to Columbia Business School (CBS) or the Yale School of Management (SOM)? If so, you will not want to miss this chance to learn from the schools’ very own admissions officers! On May 10, 2017, mbaMission’s founder/president, Jeremy Shinewald, will facilitate a two-hour webinar for the final installment of our five-part series: “Your Dream MBA: 5 Steps to Getting In.” From 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. EDT, Jeremy will take and share questions from attendees, while Bruce DelMonico (assistant dean and director of admissions at Yale SOM) and Amanda Carlson (assistant dean of admissions at CBS) offer invaluable insight and advice.

About the Admissions Officers:

Bruce DelMonico
has been at the helm of Yale SOM admissions for the past 12 years. After earning a JD from the University of Virginia’s School of Law and working as an attorney, Bruce made the transition into admissions when he accepted the position of deputy director of admissions at Yale SOM in 2004. In the years following, DelMonico moved on to assistant dean and director of admissions at the school, which has seen a 70% increase in application volume since he started. Last year, mbaMission was lucky enough to conduct an exclusive interview with DelMonico, in which he discussed the admissions committee’s consensus approach to admit decisions and the number one thing applicants should do when they find themselves on the waitlist (among other topics). Now, we are pleased to welcome Bruce back for the second year in a row for the final installment of our Dream MBA series.

Amanda Carlson
was named assistant dean of admissions at CBS in 2012, though she has been on the Columbia admissions panel since 2002. Prior to joining the Columbia culture, Carlson did campus recruiting for McKinsey & Company, served on the board of the Forte Foundation, and was a member of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) annual conference advisory committee. We spoke one-on-one with Carlson about CBS’s resources and admissions processes in 2013, and this year we are pleased that she is joining us once again for Questions and Answers with MBA Admissions Officers!

We hope you will join us for this special series. Please reserve your spot by signing up here.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Interested in learning if we think you can be successful as an applicant to a top MBA program? Sign up for a FREE Profile Evaluation directly from Dr. Shel Watts, a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Fill out the form on our homepage at https://www.mbaadmit.com

Opt to work directly with Dr. Shel on your MBA applications! Ask about our current specials – Comprehensive packages beginning at $1895 (Compare with our competitors who charge $5,200!); Basic editing of one application for $1095. Valid through May 17, 2017.

Columbia Releases Its 2017-2018 MBA Deadlines!!!

Columbia Business School has become one of the first top U.S. MBA programs to release its MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions season! The actual online application will be available in a few days, on Monday, May 15, 2017.

The admissions season has started! So, get ready to prepare your winning application!

DEADLINES

The deadlines for the Columbia Business School 2017-2018 MBA program are:

MBA: January 2018 Entry

The application will be available on May 15, 2017 and accepted on a rolling basis thereafter.

Deadline: October 4, 2017

MBA: August 2018 Entry

The application will be available on May 15, 2017 and accepted on a rolling basis thereafter.

Early Deadline: October 4, 2017
Merit Fellowship Deadline: January 5, 2018
Final Deadline: April 11, 2018

All deadlines are at 11:59 PM New York Time.

Do you need assistance in preparing an outstanding application to an MBA program? Feel free to reach out to us!

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts)
President, MBA Admit.com

Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

Interested in learning if we think you can be successful as an applicant to a top MBA program? Sign up for a FREE Profile Evaluation directly from Dr. Shel Watts, a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Fill out the form on our homepage at https://www.mbaadmit.com

Opt to work directly with Dr. Shel on your MBA applications! Ask about our current specials – Comprehensive packages beginning at $1895 (Compare with our competitors who charge $5,200!); Basic editing of one application for $1095. Valid through May 17, 2017.

Columbia GSB Application - Live in 3 Days (Monday 5/15/17)!

According to Columbia Business School’s Admissions Office, the new application will be live in a few days, on May 15, 2017! You will be able to start your online application and see all of the new application requirements (essay questions, application form, etc.).

The admissions season has started! So, get ready to prepare your winning application!

Here are Columbia’s new (2017-2018)MBA essay questions:

Goal: What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (50 characters)

Essay 1: Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3 – 5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)

Essay 2: The full-time MBA experience includes academics, recruiting and networking. What are your personal priorities and how do you anticipate allocating your time at Columbia Business School? (250 words)

Essay 3: Please select and answer one of the following essay questions: (250 words)
a: Please tell us what you feel most passionate about in life.
b: If you were given a free day and could spend it anywhere, in any way you choose, what would you do?

Optional Essay: Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, please use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. You may submit bullet points. (Maximum 500 words)

The amount of essay space is much less than last year, so use the "prime real estate" excellently!

Do you need assistance in preparing an outstanding application to an MBA program? Feel free to reach out to us!

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts)
President, MBA Admit.com

Send PM