Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:17 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11672 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: April fools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi hpaton111,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned.When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Hi Rich, kind of honored to have you reply, given that I've seen your responses to various questions all over the forum. In answer to your questions:

1. I did take the entire CAT each time, including the IR and the AWA

2. I did take them at home.

3. I only really took the practice tests in the afternoon, while I took the real test in the morning (I will fully admit to not being a morning person).

4. Truthfully on two of the practice tests I think I did take a longer time during the break between IR and quant because I forgot to set a timer, but on the other two I did try to keep as close to the actual test timing as I could.

5. I did not see any repeat questions that I know of since I used 4 different tests.

Do you think that taking the practice tests at home and during the afternoon/not being 100% on timing affected it that much? If so, do you think it's possible to hit my target scores by training myself more strictly on practice tests, or is it a lost cause?

I appreciate your feedback!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi patonhari,

To start, are you "hpaton111"? I ask because you're responding to my post as if you are - and I need to know whether the original information offered refers to your situation or not. Assuming that you posted that original message, there are a couple of 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs. Before we discuss those details though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Yessir, same guy. Guess I accidentally made a new profile with the app.

1. The three days before the test I did some timed practice tests from the OG. Some review of some flashcards, things like that.

2. I slept well the night before the test, certainly more sleep than I usually get so probably in the realm of 8.5 hours.

3. I took the train to the test center so probably 15 minute walk to the station, 15 minute ride, 5 minute walk to the test center.

4. No distractions that I can think of.

5. During the breaks I paced around a lot, drank water, and had some snacks

6. I finished the math section a little early which is unusual for me. Usually I finish the math section with seconds to spare and have plenty of time left at the end of the verbal, but this time it was exactly the opposite since I finished the verbal with basically no time left.

7. I didn't have to do a series of guesses at the end of either of the sections, but at the end of the verbal section I wasn't feeling 100% at all.

Thanks for your help, Rich. I appreciate it
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi patonhari,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. By taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day, anything else that didn't 'match up' with what you experienced on Test Day, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' In addition, by taking the CATs at home, you didn't account for that 35 minutes of travel time - time when you'd be spending energy, thinking about the Test, etc. Thankfully, all of these issues are relatively easy to account for - you just have to be more rigorous about making your future CATs mimic the aspects of what you'll face when you retake the Official GMAT.

Points can be won and lost rather easily on Test Day, so beyond the 'physical' factors that I discussed above, it would help to have data about your exact Test Day performance. Have you considered purchasing the Enhanced Score Report? While the ESR doesn't provide that much information, there are usually a few data points that can help to define exactly what you need to work on to score at a higher level. If you purchase the ESR for this recent attempt, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you expecting to restart your studies?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC

That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't really thought of the commute time as being a factor to prepare for but there it is.

In response to your questions:

1) Goal score is around what I was hitting on my later practice tests 710/720.

2) I'll be forced to push out my studies for the gmat by about a month since there are two tests for work that I must complete first. I'm hoping to come up with some way to keep myself from forgetting all the material, but maybe a break from it will be for the best. It was consuming me when I was building up for the test.

3) I'm planning to apply for fall of 2018 ideally, but because of some developments at work (recent promotion) I may have to push it out by another year in order to maximize my pre-business school earnings for some extra leverage when I graduate.

4) Mostly in the top 15. My GPA is above the average for many of the top schools thankfully, and I've done some interesting things with my life so far and I hope to continue to do so in the future. I've also been fortunate enough to rise quickly in my current company, and hopefully that will reflect positively on my application. Who ever really knows what the schools will think about extra curricular activities, but I don't see the point in going for me if it's outside the top 10/15 schools so that's where I'd like to apply. The one key factor I think I'm missing is an acceptable gmat score.

That was a little long winded, but I'll send you my ESR for my second test in a private message since I'd rather not post it in a public setting. Thank you again for your guidance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi patonhari,

From what you've described, it's not completely clear what these two work-related 'tests' are (nor how much time and effort you'll have to put in to prepare for those tests). Assuming that those test results are the immediate priority, you might need to put your GMAT studies on hold - trying to study for 3 tests all at once would likely impact how well you would ultimately perform on each of them. Since you have some time before you plan to apply to Business School, that 'time off' from your GMAT studies shouldn't be too detrimental (and you have plenty of time to reacquire any skills that might fade during that time).

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37340 posts