Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:28 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 640 (48 Q, 29V) - advice going forward [#permalink]
Thanks Rich!

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
Yes
2) Did you take them at home?
No, I took them all at a library in a cubicle setting
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
Yes, I took them all around 2pm (which was the same time as my official exam)
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
No, I kept the testing scenario as close to the real thing as possible
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?
I never saw the same question twice in any of the CAT's I completed

I just bought the ESR and am waiting to gain access to it.

I would like to add that I'm usually a bit pressed for time on the Verbal section, but on the official exam I went a bit faster than my normal pace and was sometimes 2-3 minutes ahead of my benchmarks. Though I think I would attribute that to getting better with timing, but maybe I rushed a tiny bit more than I should have.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
fatank04 wrote:
Hi everyone - first ever post on the GMATClub Forum. Appreciate all contributors to this community - amazing stuff.

I took the official GMAT today and got a 640 (48Q, 29V, 5 IR). I was absolutely dumbfounded by how poorly I did in Verbal and was expecting to score somewhere between a 680 and 720.

Quick description: 30 y/o Indian American male with a BS in Chemical Engineering and MEng in Sustainable Energy Engineering; currently work for an Electric Utility as a Power Systems Engineer; ideally hoping to get into a top 10-15 school

Materials used: OG 2017, MGMAT Guides (including Advanced Quant, not including CR), PowerScore CR Bible, random material from the GMATClub forums

Practice CAT results:
MGMAT 1 (01/16/17): 590 (Q36, V34, IR 3)
MGMAT 2 (02/20/17): 650 (Q43, V36, IR 3)
MGMAT 3 (03/17/17): 640 (Q45, V33, IR 5)
MGMAT 4 (03/25/17): 640 (Q40, V37, IR 5, AWA Write 6)
GMATPrep 1 (03/31/17): 690 (Q48, V36, IR 5, AWA Write 6)

I took the Manhattan GMAT nine week in-person course and found both the organization of assignments and the pacing of problems quite helpful. The class was very engaging and the instructor (as I'm sure all from Manhattan are) was great. My main weaknesses were obviously in Verbal, specifically though CR and RC (main idea). I spent three weeks after the course preparing on my own before the official exam, which meant going through the remaining OG problems (not all of the Quant, but most if not all of the Verbal) and redoing questions I flagged. I was scoring > 80% on SC, so for Verbal I mainly focused on CR as a whole as well as RC main idea and inference questions. A few days before the test I went through all of the CR Challenge Set (from the GMATClub forums) and got at least 70% correct of each CR question type.

First off, hats off to all who can score a 6 or above on the IR. I can't seem to get above a 5.

Secondly, I feel pretty comfortable with Quant and have no problem scoring around a Q48.

Finally and most importantly, I need advice on how to proceed forward (I obviously need to work on Verbal). I feel as though my official Verbal score may just be an anomaly since it is my lowest Verbal score to date, and just to clear the air, I did not lose steam or struggle with fatigue towards the end. In addition, the fact that I scored at least a V36 on three out of my last four practice tests just boggles my mind.

I'm planning to retake on May 1st, which gives me a little less than three weeks. I am also planning to purchase GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 and go through the PowerScore CR Bible again.

Any help/advice/food for thought would be greatly appreciated.

I got the same exact score as you did with Q48 and V28 but a 7 in IR.

I too am thinking of retaking and focusing on verbal. I will give myself more than 2 weeks though since I decided I need a break from GMAT prep and will take on verbal alone. My advice to you is to identify your weakness in verbal. They say that RC is the most difficult to improve and SC is the easiest. Analyze your ESR if you got one and then plan.

I will also buy the official GMAT prep CATs exam packs and do those. During my prep I only did the Q and V sections for any CAT and this, I found, inflated my scores. I was expecting a 690 and ended up with a 640. So I will attempt the official GMAT prep CATS 1-6 (exam packs 1+2) even the AWA and IR and see how to take it from there.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi fatank04,

Once you have your ESR, I'll be happy to analyze it for you (you can either post it here or PM it to me). While ESRs don't provide too much information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define exactly what you should be working on to improve your score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
640 (48 Q, 29V) - advice going forward [#permalink]
Thanks Rich, will do! By the way, I contacted GMAC as to why my unofficial score and ESR report haven't been displayed on the website. They informed me that my scores are "on hold". Do you have any insight as to what that means? Could my score be incorrect, or is this just the norm since my score hasn't yet been fully processed?

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi fatank04,

Once you have your ESR, I'll be happy to analyze it for you (you can either post it here or PM it to me). While ESRs don't provide too much information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define exactly what you should be working on to improve your score.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi fatank04,

During the 'busy' time of year, it wouldn't be unheard of for an Official Score to take 1-2 weeks to be 'certified' (remember that your Essay also has to be graded). During April, I suspect that it would probably take less than a week though (and since you took your GMAT just 3 days ago, we're still in that 'window' of time).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi fatank04,

During the 'busy' time of year, it wouldn't be unheard of for an Official Score to take 1-2 weeks to be 'certified' (remember that your Essay also has to be graded). During April, I suspect that it would probably take less than a week though (and since you took your GMAT just 3 days ago, we're still in that 'window' of time).

Rich

Hi Rich - attached is my ESR report. Looks like I bombed the Reading Comprehension portion, which I'm very surprised to see. I also seemed to have dropped off significantly in the final quarter of the Verbal section in general, which also surprises me since I felt just as good as I did for the other parts of the test. Thanks!
Attachments

ESR report.pdf [425.64 KiB]
Downloaded 38 times

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32991 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi

Your quant score is good enough but you are weak in Verbal
first of all there is 2 points are available in your quant which you can improve
and approx 11-12 points gap is in verbal which can be improved
so quant is not a big deal for you but verbal is
focus the concept of verbal you are weak in, do practice again and again after reading every concept of verbal
review your practice of each question and make an error log it will help you to tackle your mistake at the end
take 3 to 4 more CATs and also review them each.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi fatank04,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions on this ESR. Since your focus now will be primarily on the Verbal section, it would help to know how you handle the major questions types in that section.

1) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical SC, RC and CR prompt?
2) How often do you take notes (vs. just doing work 'in your head')?

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2854 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi fatank04,

In verbal, if you are looking for some great practice go for the e-gmat Scholaranium. The e-gmat Scholaranium is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas. Further to improve your score, taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP and Manhattan GMAT tests, Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

As for exam day, make sure to carry an energy bar and a bottle of Gatorade, which you can eat/drink during your break.

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot