Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [4]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.25
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [9]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rhine29388 wrote:
I found the correct answer as option E by process of elimination.I have doubt regarding the placement of the word 'each ' in correct answer. choice E is the only option in which word ' each ' is placed at the end

Yes, the placement is correct and the placement has a decisive impact on the verb (whether it would be singular or plural).

"Each of" placed before the subject takes a singular verb -

Correct. Each of the three major networks broadcasts. (singular verb)

"Each" placed after the subject does not have any bearing on the verb form -

Correct. The three major networks each broadcast. (plural verb)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be [#permalink]
People are confused about the right answer.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [3]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mazhar7624 wrote:
People are confused about the right answer.

Though E is mentioned as OA in most of the posts, in my opinion E is structurally wrong.

A dependent clause (also known as subordinate clause) starts with a subordinator - it can be a subordinating conjunction ( as, if, although etc.) or a relative pronoun ( who, which etc.). However in a dependent clause if the subordinator is taken out, we MUST get a complete clause having the same structure as an Independent clause. e.g.,

As I see, this question is very confusing.
Dependent clause: As I see. ... if the subordinator "as" is taken out, we are left with "I see", which is a complete clause having the same structure as an Independent clause.

Now examine the depedent clause in option E:
..,as when the three major networks each broadcast...

Take out "as" - we are left with "when the three major networks each broadcast". We see that this part is again a dependent clause without a main clause to pair with and hence incomplete. Thus Option E is wrong.

Option B in that respect is better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [4]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be superficial such as when each of the three major networks broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.

(A) superficial such as when each of the three major networks
(B) superficial, as can sometimes occur if all of the three major networks
(C) superficial if the three major networks all
(D) superficial whenever each of the three major networks
(E) superficial, as when the three major networks each

It is fairly easy to eliminate options B, C and D. So you are left with A and E.

While at first sight it may seem to be a choice between 'such as' and 'as', there's another factor here. It is the placement of the word 'each'.
In A, 'each' is the subject and it is singular. But the verb 'broadcast' is plural. So we have a subject verb error is A.
In E, the subject is 'networks' which is plural. This agrees with the plural verb 'broadcast'.

So E is the correct answer.

Rules for usage of each
1) If each is placed before a plural subject, the subject becomes singular and it should have a singular verb
2) If each is placed after a plural subject, the subject remains plural and it should have a plural verb
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This question is testing the concept of using each before the subject and using each after the subject.

Each before the subject --> Makes the verb Singular.

Each after the subject --> Does not impact the form of the verb.

In this question, we have verb in plural form, so 1st form of each cannot be used.

(A) superficial such as when each of the three major networks --> OUT for reasons stated above.

(B) superficial, as can sometimes occur if all of the three major networks --> Changing the meaning and a bit awkward.

(C) superficial if the three major networks all --> "all" is problematic here. It should be if all the three major networks.

(D) superficial whenever each of the three major networks --> Same as A

(E) superficial, as when the three major networks each --> Correct 2nd form of each.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Can someone explain why "each of the three major networks" is singular, but "the three major networks each" are suddenly plural?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
venstein wrote:
Can someone explain why "each of the three major networks" is singular, but "the three major networks each" are suddenly plural?

In "each of the three major networks", "each" is the subject (pronoun), representing one single network, hence singular. The phrase "of the three major networks" is a prepositional phrase modifier referring to pronoun "each".

In "the three major networks each", "The three major networks" is the subject and hence plural. Here "each" is an adverb referring to the verb "broadcast".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun mcelroytutoring

I have doubt C vs E.
Quote:
Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be superficial such as when each of the three major networks broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.

1. Doesn't if represents anytime, but when represents only at particular point of time. Is not C better with such a thought?
2. If in E, each can be corret, I think all in C should have no issues? Your comments.
3. I am not clear what as is doing in option E. Why not use simple structure in C . ( as when xx is not simple as compared to C). I am still not very clear why this construction is better than C.

Please suggest AjiteshArun mcelroytutoring
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle

The meaning conveyed in options B and C is that "if three major networks broadcast, then they are superficial". Only in that particular case they are superficial. In other cases they are not.

So how is the above meaning different from the meaning conveyed in "when".
"when they broadcast, television can be superficial".

Please share your 2 cents on the above and on the difference between "if" and "when".

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle

The meaning conveyed in options B and C is that "if three major networks broadcast, then they are superficial". Only in that particular case they are superficial. In other cases they are not.

So how is the above meaning different from the meaning conveyed in "when".
"when they broadcast, television can be superficial".

Please share your 2 cents on the above and on the difference between "if" and "when".

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "when" is used to refer to points in time, and "if" is used to present conditional statements.

In this case, the use of "when" conveys that television can be superficial on those occasions when each of the three major networks broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.

The use of "if" conveys that television can be superficial, should a certain hypothetical condition be met - that each of the three major networks broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

So the meaning conveyed in the "if" sentence is that should the "if" condition be met, then Television would be superficial.

However, in the "when" part the meaning conveyed is that at those times the television would be superficial.
The original sentence follows the "when" meaning, hence we stick to that.

Am I correct in my reasoning?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5

So the meaning conveyed in the "if" sentence is that should the "if" condition be met, then Television would be superficial.

However, in the "when" part the meaning conveyed is that at those times the television would be superficial.
The original sentence follows the "when" meaning, hence we stick to that.

Am I correct in my reasoning?

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your understanding here is, indeed, correct.

Kudos.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I was asked by PM to answer this one, so here I am!

This question involves modifiers and subject-verb agreement, and is pretty straight forward from there.

83. Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be superficial such as when each of the three major networks broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate.
PROBLEM: The subject here is "each" (of the three major networks is just a modifier of each). Each is singular, so it can't work with the verb "broadcast". Also, we need a comma before "such as". This is a complicated issue involving the notion of essential versus non-essential modifiers. This sentence makes sense without the modifier (i.e. "television can be superficial"), so we would call the modifier after it NON-essential. We put commas before non-essential modifiers.

An example of an essential use of such as: "Words such as "ye" used to denote old-time language are based on an incorrect understandings of older scripts."

Notice how this sentence doesn't make sense without the modifier... "Words...are approximations based on incorrect understandings..." doesn't make any sense. The "such as "ye"" is essential.

PROBLEM: "When" and "if" don't mean the same thing. This occurs WHEN all three major networks broadcast the same thing, not IF they do. Also, the doubling of "can" is pretty ugly, because it's unclear what the "sometimes occurring" is referring to.

PROBLEM: This is even worse then above, but the same issue. It's not that television can be superficial if the networks do something, it's that television becomes superficial WHEN they do that thing.

PROBLEM: Same as A, "each" is singular here.

ANSWER: Okay. I know what you're thinking...there's an "each" here, too. Why should this one be plural when the others are singular. Well, there's a big difference. When you have "each" as the subject (followed by a prepositional phrase, as in A and D), it's singular. When you use "each" AFTER a plural noun with which it is in apposition (that's right, each is a MODIFIER of "three major networks"), each IS NOT the subject, but an adjective modifying whatever comes before it, in this case "three major networks", which is plural, and matches "broadcast".

Phew!

-tommy

Can you explain the difference between If and When? Cannot understand the same and answer why B and C option choice is wrong?
GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63701 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikitathegreat wrote:

Can you explain the difference between If and When? Cannot understand the same and answer why B and C option choice is wrong?

GMATNinja

Consider these two examples:

1. "Tim can be mean, as when he hasn't eaten lunch."

In this context, "as when" introduces an example of when Tim can be mean. Tim could certainly be mean under a variety of other circumstances -- not eating lunch is just one example.

2. "Tim can be mean if he hasn't eaten lunch."

"If" is used for conditional statements. In this case, the condition is that Tim has not eaten lunch. If that condition is met (i.e. if Tim has not eaten lunch), then Tim might be mean.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this, but it does leave the reader wondering, "Well, what if Tim HAS eaten lunch? Is it impossible for him to be mean if his belly is full? Or can he also be mean if he HAS eaten lunch?"

Similar questions come up in choice (C). Does (C) imply that television can be superficial ONLY if the three major networks all broadcast exactly the same statement from a political candidate? Or can television be superficial under other circumstances too?

The meaning is clearer in choice (E): "as when" indicates that we're just getting an example. In other words, this isn't the ONLY circumstance in which television can be superficial.

(B) is confusing for similar reasons, and it has another subtle issue, thanks to the phrase "as can sometimes occur":

• The action "television can be superficial" isn't really something that occurs (or happens) -- it's just a change in potential. Before, television could NOT be superficial, and now it could be superficial.
  • In contrast, being superficial is certainly something that can actually occur. For example: "Yesterday, while the networks were broadcasting the same stuff, television was superficial."
  • But using "occurs" with "television can be superficial" is confusing because it leaves the reader wondering, "well, what actually occurred or happened?"Was television actually superficial? Or did television simply become able to be superficial?"

(B) and (C) don't really have any obvious grammar errors, and they don't violate any clear-cut rules about "if" vs "as when". (E) is simply a better answer because it's clearer: television can be superficial, and an example of that is when the three major networks broadcast the same stuff.

Those are some subtle meaning differences, and it's no wonder that so many people struggle with this question!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Mikhail wrote:

look at choice e.
we, non natives, are uneasy with " as when". I feel disppointed and I think I neve can write a sentence with this phrase.

some time, meaning analysis or logic help us not need to know grammar to solve the problem. but , honestly, non natives need good grammar to do.

come back to " as when".

I speak English in viet nam as in US.

in this sentense, "in us" work as adverb, which is parallel with adverb " in vietnam" to make comparison logical.

"as when" is strange phrase, I , non native, seldom meet. we have to know grammatical role of each phrase to use the phrase. "as when" is an adverb, and its role is similar to the role of " in US".

the television can be superficial FOR YOU as FOR ME
the television can be superficial NOW as AT THAT TIME
the television can be superficial NOW as WHEN THE THREE NETWORK EACH BROADCAST THE SAME THING

only when we understand the role of "as when...", we can accept it and be confident . the error of " all" in choice c is hard and the role of " as when" is also hard. both hard points make the sentence a 700 level.

we do need a strong grammar and we need the experts, most of them, natives, to explain grammar points.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be [#permalink]

Option Elimination -

This is a good question. Let's consolidate our learnings on basics first.
1. "such as" is typically used to share examples: a list of items or nouns
2. "as when" is used to describe situations or events. E.g., As when the storm arrived, everyone sought shelter.
3. One deception here is "can be," which can also be used in the "if X then Y" conditional. But we must remember that "if" conditional describes the hypothetical or uncertain condition. E.g., If the weather clears up, the outdoor event can be a success. In this sentence, we have an uncertain situation: "If the weather clears up," we don't know, and if it does, the condition can be fulfilled.
4. In our question, "can be" has been used to describe the general tendency. Television can be superficial, which means TV has the tendency or potential to be superficial; it is not conditional. E.g., The Chef can be creative in the kitchen. This means the Chef can be creative in the Kitchen without any conditional.

Option Elimination -

(A) superficial such as when each of the three major networks - "each" singular and "broadcast" plural. SV issue. We intended to use "as when" to describe the adverbial situation.

(B) superficial, as can sometimes occur if all of the three major networks - "as can sometimes occur" is redundant in the presence of "can be." There is no conditional here as in "if all of the three major networks broadcast," only "TV can be superficial." Here, we are describing a general tendency or a situation that "TV can be superficial," and we need "as when" to describe that situation.

GMAT uses deception under challenging questions. Here are some of the similar questions to make ourselves aware of some of the deceptions. The only mantra in such questions is "meaning." If we can spend time understanding the meaning, then we stand a chance to solve these questions successfully.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-criminal- ... l#p3293101
https://gmatclub.com/forum/not-only-did ... l#p3293065
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gone-are-the ... l#p3291266

(C) superficial if the three major networks all - This is a bit complicated.
If the three major networks all broadcast, TV can be superficial. ("All" can be singular when it refers to a group (All of the team is at the stadium), but "all" can be plural when it refers to individual members of the group (All of the team are wearing different jerseys.)). Here, "the three major networks all" is plural. "All" refers to the individual major networks, and the intent is to emphasize that each of them can take a specific action (broadcasting the same statement). So, in this context, "all" is used in a plural sense to indicate each network individually. There is no "grammatical" problem with this sentence. The challenge here is that it's not conditional. There is no uncertainty. TV can be superficial, and it just happens. We need to describe a situation when it happens.

(D) superficial whenever each of the three major networks - "each" singular and "broadcast" plural. SV issue. We use "whenever" to describe situations that occur repeatedly. E.g. Whenever she hears her favorite song on the radio, she can't help but dance. The word "whenever" introduces a recurring or conditional relationship between the event (hearing her favorite song) and her response (dancing). It conveys that her dancing is a reaction that occurs each time the specified condition (hearing the favorite song) is met.
But in our question, we don't mean to convert the general situation but a specific political situation. Of course, the three networks can show the same advertisements or the same series or movies. They don't become superficial every time they do something similar.

(E) superficial, as when the three major networks each - "TV can be superficial" intends to convey that TV has a tendency or potential to be superficial. And "as when" describes that situation. This is also adverbial and modifies the entire clause. "each" acts as a pronoun. It's an indefinite pronoun referring to every one of the three major networks individually.
GMAT Club Bot
Although it claims to delve into political issues, television can be [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts