Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [34]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [9]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q169 V159
GPA: 3.83
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Medical researcher: Scientists compared a large group of joggers who [#permalink]
I picked E because of two reasons:
1) It adds another factor i.e. severity of the injuries, that could vary and people who exercise could lessen the severity of injuries by exercising.
2) Since outside information is allowed, we could categorise jogging in certain exercises.

Can anyone clarify me on this one?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Re: Medical researcher: Scientists compared a large group of joggers who [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aaditya0893 wrote:
I picked E because of two reasons:
1) It adds another factor i.e. severity of the injuries, that could vary and people who exercise could lessen the severity of injuries by exercising.
2) Since outside information is allowed, we could categorise jogging in certain exercises.

Can anyone clarify me on this one?

Posted from my mobile device

Because (E) isn't about jogging itself. We want to weaken the claim that stretching doesn't help us during jogging. The answer says "some forms". What does this mean? Is jogging a part of this? We have no idea. You cannot assume that jogging is a part of this group because you could make the equally valid claim that it isn't. You cannot make assumptions like this to validate your answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 861
Send PM
Re: Medical researcher: Scientists compared a large group of joggers who [#permalink]
Akela wrote:
Medical researcher: Scientists compared a large group of joggers who habitually stretch before jogging to an equal number of joggers who do not stretch before jogging. Both groups of joggers incurred roughly the same number of injuries. This indicates that stretching before jogging does not help to prevent injuries.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the medical researcher’s argument?

(A) For both groups of joggers compared by the scientists, the rate of jogging injuries during the study was lower than the overall rate of jogging injuries.
(B) Among the joggers in the groups compared by the scientists, many of those previously injured while jogging experienced difficulty in their efforts to perform stretches.
(C) Most jogging injuries result from falls, collisions, and other mishaps on which the flexibility resulting from stretching would have little if any effect.
(D) The more prone a jogger is to jogging injuries, the more likely he or she is to develop the habit of performing stretches before jogging.
(E) Studies have found that, for certain forms of exercise, stretching beforehand can reduce the severity of injuries resulting from that exercise.

Source:LSAT

Why is C wrong? If most of the jogging injuries are not caused by stretching then the author cannot make that statement about stretching not being useful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Rukia wrote:
Akela wrote:
Medical researcher: Scientists compared a large group of joggers who habitually stretch before jogging to an equal number of joggers who do not stretch before jogging. Both groups of joggers incurred roughly the same number of injuries. This indicates that stretching before jogging does not help to prevent injuries.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the medical researcher’s argument?

(A) For both groups of joggers compared by the scientists, the rate of jogging injuries during the study was lower than the overall rate of jogging injuries.
(B) Among the joggers in the groups compared by the scientists, many of those previously injured while jogging experienced difficulty in their efforts to perform stretches.
(C) Most jogging injuries result from falls, collisions, and other mishaps on which the flexibility resulting from stretching would have little if any effect.
(D) The more prone a jogger is to jogging injuries, the more likely he or she is to develop the habit of performing stretches before jogging.
(E) Studies have found that, for certain forms of exercise, stretching beforehand can reduce the severity of injuries resulting from that exercise.

Source:LSAT

Why is C wrong? If most of the jogging injuries are not caused by stretching then the author cannot make that statement about stretching not being useful.

C is actually strengthen the argument. It implies that stretching has little to do with the kind of injuries, such as falls, collisions ..
Therefore, if the flexibility warm up doesn't help, it echoes the medical researcher argument that the stretch doesn't help to reduce injuries.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

(A) For both groups of joggers compared by the scientists, the rate of jogging injuries during the study was lower than the overall rate of jogging injuries. - WRONG. Numbers and rate are non-comparable.
(B) Among the joggers in the groups compared by the scientists, many of those previously injured while jogging experienced difficulty in their efforts to perform stretches. - WRONG. The passage core still remains intact as these people must have been segregated as suggested.
(C) Most jogging injuries result from falls, collisions, and other mishaps on which the flexibility resulting from stretching would have little if any effect. - WRONG. Strengthens actually.
(D) The more prone a jogger is to jogging injuries, the more likely he or she is to develop the habit of performing stretches before jogging. - CORRECT.
(E) Studies have found that, for certain forms of exercise, stretching beforehand can reduce the severity of injuries resulting from that exercise. - WRONG. For two red-text parts

Sadly, D is the answer but I don't think it has merit, especially the highlighted text. Developing habit is concerned with jogger not the study.
It would have been better had the choice given some light to how the two compared to each other at the start of the study and how it was at the end of it.
True weakener would have been the one if it had elaborated that the stretching joggers were more compared to non-stretching joggers.

Answer D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts