Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:40 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620591 [4]
Given Kudos: 81712
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Schools: Kelley '20
Send PM
Re: If the perimeter of a triangle is 18, then the length of one of the [#permalink]
one side should always be less than the sum of other two sides
if one side is 9 then the sum of other two sides will be 9..not possible

E

Thanks & all the best

(Like the below page on FB and show your support towards the upliftment of underprivileged)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If the perimeter of a triangle is 18, then the length of one of the [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If the perimeter of a triangle is 18, then the length of one of the sides CANNOT be

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 8
(E) 9

I understand why E is the answer. But why not option A ? if one side is 1, the other two sides will be 8 and 9. These cannot be the sides of the triangle.
Can someone please explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
hwgmat2015 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If the perimeter of a triangle is 18, then the length of one of the sides CANNOT be

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 8
(E) 9

I understand why E is the answer. But why not option A ? if one side is 1, the other two sides will be 8 and 9. These cannot be the sides of the triangle.
Can someone please explain?

Yes, why not A?the other two sides can be 10 and 7 as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
it can not be A
let us take the case of an equilateral triangle
perimeter is given to be 18 mm
So each side would be 6 mm
Now we have property of the triangle = a-b<c<a+b
Since each side is equal a-b=0
a+b=12
so 0<c<12 but we know that perimeter is 18 so C<=6
I hope it is clear
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 8
(E) 9

I need help

A) 1 should be greater than SUM OF OTHER 2 SIDES and Less than SUBTRACTION OF 2 SIDES

So if one side is 1 other 2 will be x+y = 17 (well it satisfies that 3rd side should be less than addition of rest 2 so 1 is valid)
But for subtraction? Lets take x= 9 , y =8 , SO 9-8 = 1 , HENCE IT SHOULD BE GREATER THAN 1 to satisfy second condition but its equal to 1 then

IT MEANS 1 CANT BE INCLUDED

PLEASE EXPLAIN
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32134 [3]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
If the perimeter of a triangle is 18, then the length of one of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rocko911 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 8
(E) 9

I need help

A) 1 should be greater than SUM OF OTHER 2 SIDES and Less than SUBTRACTION OF 2 SIDES

So if one side is 1 other 2 will be x+y = 17 (well it satisfies that 3rd side should be less than addition of rest 2 so 1 is valid)
But for subtraction? Lets take x= 9 , y =8 , SO 9-8 = 1 , HENCE IT SHOULD BE GREATER THAN 1 to satisfy second condition but its equal to 1 then

PLEASE EXPLAIN

hi rocko911 and hwgmat2015..

the Q is looking for CANNOT be, which means it should not be possible..

now you are looking for a triangle with sides 1,8,9 but it can be 8.5,8.5 and 1...
it is nowhere mentioned that sides are INTEGERS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
rocko911 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 8
(E) 9

I need help

PLEASE EXPLAIN

now you are looking for a triangle with sides 1,8,9 but it can be 8.5,8.5 and 1...

yes indeed, But its also not mentioned that it cant be integers as well , so we need to take all posibilities,

SO WHAT IF WE TAKE ONE SIDE AS 1 and other two be 9+8 , then it doesnt hold for subtraction rule
becoz 9-8 = 1 and it should be greater than 1

AND IF ITS NOT SATISFYING THEN IT MEANS IT SHOULD "NOT" BE POSSIBLE just as everyone says 9 is
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32134 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
If the perimeter of a triangle is 18, then the length of one of the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rocko911 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

yes indeed, But its also not mentioned that it cant be integers as well , so we need to take all posibilities,

SO WHAT IF WE TAKE ONE SIDE AS 1 and other two be 9+8 , then it doesnt hold for subtraction rule
becoz 9-8 = 1 and it should be greater than 1

AND IF ITS NOT SATISFYING THEN IT MEANS IT SHOULD "NOT" BE POSSIBLE just as everyone says 9 is

hi..

CANNOT be means it is NOT possible under any circumstances

so for any value of other two sides if 1 is possible, then it will not come under CANNOT be.

however 9 is NOT possible under any circumstances so it is our answer

for that matter 3 will not be possible if sides are 3, 7,10..
you will always have value for which each choice will not be possible..

hope it helped
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 3
(C) 6
(D) 8
(E) 9

Here E must be the answer.
as we know the sum of two sides must be greater than the third side. so if one side is 9 so sum of other two side will also be 9 and it violates rules mentioned earlier
Hence E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92987 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts