Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [105]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [32]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [14]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: If birds did not have wings, they would not have been able to fly [#permalink]
Kudos
reto wrote:
If birds did not have wings, they would not have been able to fly

A. If birds did not have wings, they would not have been
B. If birds had no wings, they would not have been
C. Unless birds had wings, they would not be
D. If birds did not have wings, they would not be
E. Unless birds had wings, they would not have been

It was a tough call between C and D but D seems to be the right choice.

Unless = if not
Use of unless in the first conditional requires use of will / won't in the 2nd conditional.

did not have (negative) = simple past form + would not be (negative) = conditional ------- correct.
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: If birds did not have wings, they would not have been able to fly [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
reto wrote:

It was a tough call between C and D but D seems to be the right choice.

Unless = if not
Use of unless in the first conditional requires use of will / won't in the 2nd conditional.

did not have (negative) = simple past form + would not be (negative) = conditional ------- correct.

Reto it would be nice if you could provide the OE also along with the OA

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
My choice Option B.

This question seems to be testing (past + conditional) structure.

Reto., please post the OE. Very nice question.

reto wrote:

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [0]
Send PM
Im happy you like it. Discussion tonight including OA :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
As usual an amazing question reto. :thumbup:

Would love to see the OE..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hypothetical Subjunctive requires "If X, Then Y" construction.

Then is missing from A, B and D. Hence eliminate them.

We are left with C and E.

E has a tense error. "would not have been".

C is better.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The contention that C and D are grammatically ok, but D is to be dropped for being stylistically wordy floats on vapor-thin reasoning. We can understand two choices being grammatically correct but differing substantially in meaning, but not on wording. Do we get such almost identical twins on the Test? But this topic is okay since it brings out the nuances of trciky conditionals, especially the second and the third, into open.
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [1]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
reto wrote:

Dear Experts,

Is the usage of "had"(past perfect) in option C correct?

IMO- We need to use past perfect only to express sequencing of two events.. we don't have another past event in option 'c'.

Then how it is correct... Please advise where am I going wrong in above reasoning.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32007 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
smartguy595 wrote:
reto wrote:

Dear Experts,

Is the usage of "had"(past perfect) in option C correct?

IMO- We need to use past perfect only to express sequencing of two events.. we don't have another past event in option 'c'.

Then how it is correct... Please advise where am I going wrong in above reasoning.

Hi,
this is present unreal situation or a hypothetical situation..
In these scenarios HAD can be used..

another example
if I had a million rupees, I would buy an island.
If he had known of the outcome, he would not have gone to that extent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
Send PM
Kudos
I'm confused why we can't go for Past Perfect Tense Usage for Conditional Statements (If X, Then Y).
I thought both options B & E adhere to this.
If I had no doubt, I would not have posted this comment
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
scorp16 wrote:
I'm confused why we can't go for Past Perfect Tense Usage for Conditional Statements (If X, Then Y).
I thought both options B & E adhere to this.
[color=#00aeef]If I had no doubt, I would not have posted this comment

The rules for if-then construction are as follows:

CASE I - Unlikely event in the future: IF hypothetical subjunctive, THEN conditional (would).

If I went to school ( tomorrow), I would be sick... The sentence implies that I am unlikely to go to school tomorrow. But if I went (tomorrow), I would be sick.
If I had doubt, I would post this comment.....The sentence implies that I am unlikely to have a doubt (in future). But if I had (in future), I would be sick. Here "had" is NOT SIMPLE PAST, but hypothetical subjunctive that is unlikely to happen in future.
If I had no doubt, I would not post this comment.... the sentence implies that you are unlikely not to have a doubt ( you are likely to have a doubt in future).

CASE II - Past event that never happened in the past: IF past perfect, THEN conditional perfect (would have)
(CASE I CANNOT be used, if a past event is described that never happened.)

If I had gone to school yesterday, I would have been sick.
If I had had doubt, I would have posted this comment. ( had had is past perfect of had)
If I had had no doubt, I would not have posted this comment.

Therefore, your sentence ( "If I had no doubt, I would not have posted this comment") mixes up a hypothetical subjunctive in the IF clause with a conditional perfect in the THEN clause, and is therefore incorrect . You must use a past perfect, neither simple past, nor hypothetical subjunctive with a conditional perfect, when you are describing a past event that did not happen.

[/color]

Hello Sayantanc2k,

Can you please breakdown the answer options as well?

I am still not sure about how to apply this rule to the answer options.

Please help
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7778 [8]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos