Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 21:11 It is currently 05 May 2024, 21:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1125 [4]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Re: Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely [#permalink]
Well,

I think that should not be the reason-there are lot of questions in which 'which' does not refer to the preceding noun-so that is why I asked for expert help .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely [#permalink]
Kudos
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely brief shelf lives, manufacturers of medicines usually produce as much as possible in a short span of time, and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is continuing in twenty-first century markets.

A) and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is

B) which was a trend that began by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and it is

C) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and

D) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, it is

E) which was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and is

C is the answer

A and is wrong in A , this is wrong it has no antecedent ans lastly which is
B which was is wrong in B which refers to time here and it is wrong
C correct
D it is at the end is wrong as it can refer to manufacturers and trend .It is a run on sentence
E which is wrong , is after and is wrong
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ND
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Schools: Rotman '21
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely brief shelf lives, manufacturers of medicines usually produce as much as possible in a short span of time, and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is continuing in twenty-first century markets.

A) and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is

B) which was a trend that began by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and it is

C) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and

D) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, it is

E) which was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and is

Hi,

I am a bit confused here with the structure; I thought that " a trend begun ...and continuing" is not a parallel structure, this is why I preferred the options ending with "it is" ...I'd appreciate if you can shed some light on this part

P.S. I have revised all the basics of the grammar, am I missing any rules that I should look up or revise

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ND
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Schools: Rotman '21
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

I am a bit confused here with the structure; I thought that " a trend begun ...and continuing" is not a parallel structure, this is why I preferred the options ending with "it is" ...I'd appreciate if you can shed some light on this part

P.S. I have revised all the basics of the grammar, am I missing any rules that I should be looking up or revise

CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15281 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NDND wrote:
Hi,

P.S. I have revised all the basics of the grammar, am I missing any rules that I should be looking up or revise

The structure is alright. The parallelism is between the two participial modifiers:

1. "begun by the early manufacturers ...."
AND
2. "continuing in twenty-first century ..."

(NOT between "a trend begun" and "continuing" as you might have thought - the noun "trend" is OUTSIDE the parallel structure.)

Both these participial modifiers refer to the noun "trend".

Note:
1. The last part of the sentence " a trend (begun by ..) AND (continuing in...)" is an example of an absolute phrase.
2. The words "begun" and "continuing" are participles, not verbs.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts