It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 06:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:01) correct 32% (01:27) wrong based on 106 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely brief shelf lives, manufacturers of medicines usually produce as much as possible in a short span of time, and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is continuing in twenty-first century markets.

A) and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is

B) which was a trend that began by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and it is

C) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and

D) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, it is

E) which was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and is
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 33

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

Re: Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 07:27
Experts-can you please explain how is E incorrect and C correct?
Also, can we use begun as a past tense verb? Should it not be 'began'?
And, how can 'continuing' be used as a verb by itself without 'is'?

Thanks

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 09:21
KS15 wrote:
Experts-can you please explain how is E incorrect and C correct?
Also, can we use begun as a past tense verb? Should it not be 'began'?
And, how can 'continuing' be used as a verb by itself without 'is'?

Thanks

Which refers to immediate noun time that is y E is not correct

, a trend begun ..... and continuing..... this is not the clause thus begun here is not actually function and continuing as a verb.... instead they are mod. Phase of the trend

Consider this:

The food (eaten by the boy) was on the table

That man (running on the platform) is trying to catch the train

Another thing that I wanted to point out is mod. Concept , noun ........, PHASE (NOT A CLAUSE) if you closely look into the meaning of the sentence you will find synonyms of "trend"

Question is why we need a noun here rather than , verb-ing.... or ,verb-ed..... structure.... because the noun the sentence trying to mod. Is far away from the phase --- additional noun suppose to make it more clear

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 09:32
Well,

I think that should not be the reason-there are lot of questions in which 'which' does not refer to the preceding noun-so that is why I asked for expert help .

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 535

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 10:34
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely brief shelf lives, manufacturers of medicines usually produce as much as possible in a short span of time, and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is continuing in twenty-first century markets.

A) and this was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, which is

B) which was a trend that began by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and it is

C) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and

D) a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century, it is

E) which was a trend begun by the early manufacturers of chemical products in the nineteenth century and is

C is the answer

A and is wrong in A , this is wrong it has no antecedent ans lastly which is
B which was is wrong in B which refers to time here and it is wrong
C correct
D it is at the end is wrong as it can refer to manufacturers and trend .It is a run on sentence
E which is wrong , is after and is wrong

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 535

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: ND

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 220

Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 04:21
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

Hi,

I am a bit confused here with the structure; I thought that " a trend begun ...and continuing" is not a parallel structure, this is why I preferred the options ending with "it is" ...I'd appreciate if you can shed some light on this part

P.S. I have revised all the basics of the grammar, am I missing any rules that I should look up or revise

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

GMAT Club Live: 5 Principles for Fast Mathles for Fast Math: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-live-5-principles-for-fast-math-251028.html#p1940045
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-live-with-gmat-ninja-sc-pronouns-that-parallelism-250568.html#p1936104
The Best SC strategies - Amazing 4 videos by Veritas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-best-sc-strategies-amazing-4-videos-by-veritas-250377.html#p1934575

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: ND

Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 04:24
Hi,

I am a bit confused here with the structure; I thought that " a trend begun ...and continuing" is not a parallel structure, this is why I preferred the options ending with "it is" ...I'd appreciate if you can shed some light on this part

P.S. I have revised all the basics of the grammar, am I missing any rules that I should be looking up or revise

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

GMAT Club Live: 5 Principles for Fast Mathles for Fast Math: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-live-5-principles-for-fast-math-251028.html#p1940045
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-live-with-gmat-ninja-sc-pronouns-that-parallelism-250568.html#p1936104
The Best SC strategies - Amazing 4 videos by Veritas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-best-sc-strategies-amazing-4-videos-by-veritas-250377.html#p1934575

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3323 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NDND wrote:
Hi,

P.S. I have revised all the basics of the grammar, am I missing any rules that I should be looking up or revise

The structure is alright. The parallelism is between the two participial modifiers:

1. "begun by the early manufacturers ...."
AND
2. "continuing in twenty-first century ..."

(NOT between "a trend begun" and "continuing" as you might have thought - the noun "trend" is OUTSIDE the parallel structure.)

Both these participial modifiers refer to the noun "trend".

Note:
1. The last part of the sentence " a trend (begun by ..) AND (continuing in...)" is an example of an absolute phrase.
2. The words "begun" and "continuing" are participles, not verbs.

Kudos [?]: 3323 [1], given: 22

Re: Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 06:54

Since medicinal products in the pharmaceutical industry have extremely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap