Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:39 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [9]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: V11-36 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
arthearoth wrote:
Sophomore is 2nd year. Junior and Senior are 3rd and 4th year. The passage says that "This disconnect [between the student's and instructor's perceptions] is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses". That means that the disconnect must be less in the Junior and Senior courses. Therefore the disconnect decreases as students progress to higher levels. Answer C is therefore supported by the passage, not contradicted as the explanation suggests.

The answer suggested as correct is in fact not correct. There is in fact no information as to whether the students think that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. The section which the explanation suggests talks about this, actually discusses correlation between DIFFERENT teaching methods and the perception of students. It is perfectly possible to have no correlation because all of the teaching methods are associated with students considering that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. Even if there was a correlation here that would tell us that some instructional methods lead to students thinking the teachers are doing a good job, it wouldn't tell us how many students think their teachers are doing a good job!

Thank you for pointing out the above two points. Your first point is definitely valid and we have changed option C accordingly.

As for your second point, please note the following:

The proposition is: "an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction."

The underlined portion refers to the emphasis (importance) the teacher gives on instructional method / teaching strategy ( instructions / method how to teach). This partly also states that "We found limited support", i.e. NOT higly (widely) correlating.

In the explanation above (the green highlighted portions refer the text in the passage and the purple highlighted portions refer to the corresponding text in option B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
azzahir wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Please indicate which portion of the explanation needs to be clarified, so that we can take up that particular issue for detailed explanation / discussion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
arthearoth wrote:
Sophomore is 2nd year. Junior and Senior are 3rd and 4th year. The passage says that "This disconnect [between the student's and instructor's perceptions] is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses". That means that the disconnect must be less in the Junior and Senior courses. Therefore the disconnect decreases as students progress to higher levels. Answer C is therefore supported by the passage, not contradicted as the explanation suggests.

The answer suggested as correct is in fact not correct. There is in fact no information as to whether the students think that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. The section which the explanation suggests talks about this, actually discusses correlation between DIFFERENT teaching methods and the perception of students. It is perfectly possible to have no correlation because all of the teaching methods are associated with students considering that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. Even if there was a correlation here that would tell us that some instructional methods lead to students thinking the teachers are doing a good job, it wouldn't tell us how many students think their teachers are doing a good job!

Thank you for pointing out the above two points. Your first point is definitely valid and we have changed option C accordingly.

The proposition is: "an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction."

The underlined portion refers to the emphasis (importance) the teacher gives on instructional method / teaching strategy ( instructions / method how to teach). This partly also states that "We found limited support", i.e. NOT higly (widely) correlating.

In the explanation above (the green highlighted portions refer the text in the passage and the purple highlighted portions refer to the corresponding text in option B.

I got this questions in one of my Gmat Club tests and it still says B is the answer whereas I marked C as the answer. Can you please re-check and make sure to change the options accordingly.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Argo wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
arthearoth wrote:

I got this questions in one of my Gmat Club tests and it still says B is the answer whereas I marked C as the answer. Can you please re-check and make sure to change the options accordingly.

Option B still is the correct answer. Option C was changed to rectify the mistake pointed out by another user. Option C could be considered correct previously, but after the change option C is definitely wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys, this is passage very challenging and rewarding. Unfortunately, the answer choices for this particular question really need to be edited b/c they are riddled with grammatical errors and poor phrasing. Choice by choice, a few suggestions:

A. Students have higher level of perception at sophomore level than at junior or senior levels.
** What exactly does 'higher' level of perception actually mean ? More positive ? Greater degree of statistically significant difference ? **

B. Students do not widely consider that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions.
** Maybe something was lost in translation when this was published, but 'put in proper importance' doesn't make any sense in standard written English. **

C. As students progress to higher levels, they have more dissimilar outlook to that of the professors than the lower levels.
** This would be a good candidate for GMAT Sentence Correction question :) **

D. Students at each different level have significantly different perception than those at other levels.
** Again, some sentence correction is in order here **

E. Sophomore students perceive critical thinking as more important for business studies than high or junior level students do.
** A 'high' student is a student under the influence of drugs :) If the intent is to refer to Juniors or Seniors, then the answer choice should, accordingly, make this clear. **

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question. I think the segment is written poorly and not in the style of how an actual published paper would be, unless it were a poor-quality or non-peer-reviewed journal. It's very difficult to know what exactly is being measured by students and teachers in the first place. This reads like the first draft of a high schoolers' statistics project, and I have a hard time believing something like this would end up in the GMAT. The questions and answers themselves are also difficult to understand -- all in all, I think this set of questions should be retired as it only serves to confuse test-takers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. "Students do not widely consider that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions" is a confusing sentence. There seems to be other grammatical issues with the other answers as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. None of the answers are right. The explanation's attempt to defend option B is flawed.

sayantanc2k, I've read your explanation above and it is equally flawed, at least in my opinion. I'd appreciate if you can point out where the passage discusses "teaching instructions" specifically.

Option B says, in essence, "students don't widely consider teachers stress teaching instructions sufficiently". The passage used to defend this choice is, in essence, "We found students weakly agreed that an instructor's emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is correlated to student perceptions of instruction", or, more succinctly: "students perceive instruction in a correlated way to how an instructor emphasizes teaching method or strategy".

This does not discuss teaching instructions. It does not even almost discuss them. It is solely focused on the instructor's level of emphasis on a specific instructional method and teaching strategy. Instructional method is very different than teaching instructions.

We should also be very specific, since this is GMAT verbal, with what the statement is actually saying. Option B is talking about a "widely" held consideration, which would require support across a large swathe of the survey population. But we don't have any information on this: we only have information on which methods had statistically significant results. But we have no idea how big those methods were. Does support for those methods equal 100% and support for the other 16 only equal 49%? What if those four were abnormally large portions of the total? We have no way of knowing what the breadth/width of the support is. The passage is very carefully to outline the numbers in the first paragraph, so expecting it would do so in the second paragraph if they were relevant isn't far-fetched.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Schools: LBS MiM "21
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
arthearoth

To put the explanation in other words.

Which says that not enough evidence of correlation in data was found between - what instructors thought their emphasis level on the course was - and - what students had perceived their(instructor's) emphasis was.

As instructors would think that they had given sufficient emphasis, an opposite thought (noted by lack of correlation) meant that students thought enough emphasis/ importance to the course was not given. Thus Option B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Definitely answer C is correct, the one who created this question made a serious mess!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 415
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 8.52
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
    A standard instrument for measuring student perception of critical thinking instruction was administered to both instructors and students. This instrument contained twenty items addressing the purposes of and cognitive skills associated with critical thinking. The phrasing of each item was slightly altered for a corresponding survey of instructors as “my instructor” became “I”. Data was collected in a census survey of core courses in the business program. A total of 60 core course sections were surveyed with 689 responses from an enrolled total of 797 students (86.4% response rate). In addition, instructors were surveyed regarding the instructional methods and teaching strategies incorporated in their respective courses. Faculty members were asked to indicate which methods they employed in a class, the relative importance of the method or strategy to the course and an approximate percentage of classroom time allotted to the method.

When examining course level mean scores for student perceptions of critical thinking instruction, we were able to reject the null and find that there are statistically significant differences between mean scores at different course levels. When examined on a course level basis between sophomore and junior level courses, the difference was statistically significant. However, the difference in scores between junior and senior level courses was not statistically significant. Therefore, students in courses for sophomores view critical thinking instruction differently than students in junior and senior level courses. We did not find support for an alternative proposition that student perceptions of critical thinking instruction are highly correlated with the instructor’s perception of critical thinking instruction in the course pedagogy. There was statistically significant agreement on only four of twenty items included in the survey of perceptions between instructors and students. This disconnect is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses. We found limited support for another proposition that an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction. Out of twenty direct and indirect instructional methods included in the survey, only four methods exhibited correlations with student perceptions that were statistically significant.

As per the passage which of the following propositions about critical thinking instructional methods is supported by the survey mentioned in passage?

A. Students have higher level of perception at sophomore level than at junior or senior levels.
B. Students do not widely consider that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions.
C. As students progress to higher levels, they have more dissimilar outlook to that of the professors than the lower levels.
D. Students at each different level have significantly different perception than those at other levels.
E. Sophomore students perceive critical thinking as more important for business studies than high or junior level students do.

­Option A is incorrect because though it has been mentioned that there are difference between mean scores , it has not been mentioned whether the sophomore level has higher level of perception.
OPtion C is incorrect because no comparison has been made between the outlook of the students and that of the teachers.
Option D is incoorect because it has been mentioned that senior and junior level students dont have much different perceptions. 
Option E is incorrect because no information has been shared as regard to "business studies".

Hence , option B is the answer. (By elimination)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts