It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-36

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4686

Kudos [?]: 17652 [0], given: 1986

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:45
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:53) correct 56% (01:09) wrong based on 18 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A standard instrument for measuring student perception of critical thinking instruction was administered to both instructors and students. This instrument contained twenty items addressing the purposes of and cognitive skills associated with critical thinking. The phrasing of each item was slightly altered for a corresponding survey of instructors as “my instructor” became “I”. Data was collected in a census survey of core courses in the business program. A total of 60 core course sections were surveyed with 689 responses from an enrolled total of 797 students (86.4% response rate). In addition, instructors were surveyed regarding the instructional methods and teaching strategies incorporated in their respective courses. Faculty members were asked to indicate which methods they employed in a class, the relative importance of the method or strategy to the course and an approximate percentage of classroom time allotted to the method.
When examining course level mean scores for student perceptions of critical thinking instruction, we were able to reject the null and find that there are statistically significant differences between mean scores at different course levels. When examined on a course level basis between sophomore and junior level courses, the difference was statistically significant. However, the difference in scores between junior and senior level courses was not statistically significant. Therefore, students in courses for sophomores view critical thinking instruction differently than students in junior and senior level courses. We did not find support for an alternative proposition that student perceptions of critical thinking instruction are highly correlated with the instructor’s perception of critical thinking instruction in the course pedagogy. There was statistically significant agreement on only four of twenty items included in the survey of perceptions between instructors and students. This disconnect is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses. We found limited support for another proposition that an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction. Out of twenty direct and indirect instructional methods included in the survey, only four methods exhibited correlations with student perceptions that were statistically significant.


As per the passage which of the following propositions about critical thinking instructional methods is supported by the survey mentioned in passage?

A. Students have higher level of perception at sophomore level than at junior or senior levels.
B. Students do not widely consider that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions.
C. As students progress to higher levels, they have more dissimilar outlook to that of the professors than the lower levels.
D. Students at each different level have significantly different perception than those at other levels.
E. Sophomore students perceive critical thinking as more important for business studies than high or junior level students do.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17652 [0], given: 1986

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4686

Kudos [?]: 17652 [1], given: 1986

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Official Solution:

A standard instrument for measuring student perception of critical thinking instruction was administered to both instructors and students. This instrument contained twenty items addressing the purposes of and cognitive skills associated with critical thinking. The phrasing of each item was slightly altered for a corresponding survey of instructors as “my instructor” became “I”. Data was collected in a census survey of core courses in the business program. A total of 60 core course sections were surveyed with 689 responses from an enrolled total of 797 students (86.4% response rate). In addition, instructors were surveyed regarding the instructional methods and teaching strategies incorporated in their respective courses. Faculty members were asked to indicate which methods they employed in a class, the relative importance of the method or strategy to the course and an approximate percentage of classroom time allotted to the method.
When examining course level mean scores for student perceptions of critical thinking instruction, we were able to reject the null and find that there are statistically significant differences between mean scores at different course levels. When examined on a course level basis between sophomore and junior level courses, the difference was statistically significant. However, the difference in scores between junior and senior level courses was not statistically significant. Therefore, students in courses for sophomores view critical thinking instruction differently than students in junior and senior level courses. We did not find support for an alternative proposition that student perceptions of critical thinking instruction are highly correlated with the instructor’s perception of critical thinking instruction in the course pedagogy. There was statistically significant agreement on only four of twenty items included in the survey of perceptions between instructors and students. This disconnect is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses. We found limited support for another proposition that an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction. Out of twenty direct and indirect instructional methods included in the survey, only four methods exhibited correlations with student perceptions that were statistically significant.


As per the passage which of the following propositions about critical thinking instructional methods is supported by the survey mentioned in passage?

A. Students have higher level of perception at sophomore level than at junior or senior levels.
B. Students do not widely consider that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions.
C. As students progress to higher levels, they have more dissimilar outlook to that of the professors than the lower levels.
D. Students at each different level have significantly different perception than those at other levels.
E. Sophomore students perceive critical thinking as more important for business studies than high or junior level students do.


(A) The first result in the second paragraph says that the perception is different, whether it is higher or lower is not mentioned.

(B) Correct. The third result in the second paragraph indicates this, refer to the last 2 sentences of the passage: We found limited support for another proposition …… exhibited correlations with student perceptions that were statistically significant.

(C) This statement contradicts a part of the second result: This disconnect is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses.

(D) Students at senior and junior levels do not have much different perception.

(E) The importance of critical thinking in business is not discussed in the passage.


Answer: B
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17652 [1], given: 1986

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 09:23
Sophomore is 2nd year. Junior and Senior are 3rd and 4th year. The passage says that "This disconnect [between the student's and instructor's perceptions] is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses". That means that the disconnect must be less in the Junior and Senior courses. Therefore the disconnect decreases as students progress to higher levels. Answer C is therefore supported by the passage, not contradicted as the explanation suggests.

The answer suggested as correct is in fact not correct. There is in fact no information as to whether the students think that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. The section which the explanation suggests talks about this, actually discusses correlation between DIFFERENT teaching methods and the perception of students. It is perfectly possible to have no correlation because all of the teaching methods are associated with students considering that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. Even if there was a correlation here that would tell us that some instructional methods lead to students thinking the teachers are doing a good job, it wouldn't tell us how many students think their teachers are doing a good job!
_________________

Target GMAT 650. Please help by giving Kudos, it's free!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3198

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 07:03
arthearoth wrote:
Sophomore is 2nd year. Junior and Senior are 3rd and 4th year. The passage says that "This disconnect [between the student's and instructor's perceptions] is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses". That means that the disconnect must be less in the Junior and Senior courses. Therefore the disconnect decreases as students progress to higher levels. Answer C is therefore supported by the passage, not contradicted as the explanation suggests.

The answer suggested as correct is in fact not correct. There is in fact no information as to whether the students think that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. The section which the explanation suggests talks about this, actually discusses correlation between DIFFERENT teaching methods and the perception of students. It is perfectly possible to have no correlation because all of the teaching methods are associated with students considering that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. Even if there was a correlation here that would tell us that some instructional methods lead to students thinking the teachers are doing a good job, it wouldn't tell us how many students think their teachers are doing a good job!


Thank you for pointing out the above two points. Your first point is definitely valid and we have changed option C accordingly.

As for your second point, please note the following:

The proposition is: "an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction."

The underlined portion refers to the emphasis (importance) the teacher gives on instructional method / teaching strategy ( instructions / method how to teach). This partly also states that "We found limited support", i.e. NOT higly (widely) correlating.

In the explanation above (the green highlighted portions refer the text in the passage and the purple highlighted portions refer to the corresponding text in option B.

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 09:19
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3198

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 04:50
azzahir wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.


Please indicate which portion of the explanation needs to be clarified, so that we can take up that particular issue for detailed explanation / discussion.

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 160

Re: V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 18:58
sayantanc2k wrote:
arthearoth wrote:
Sophomore is 2nd year. Junior and Senior are 3rd and 4th year. The passage says that "This disconnect [between the student's and instructor's perceptions] is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses". That means that the disconnect must be less in the Junior and Senior courses. Therefore the disconnect decreases as students progress to higher levels. Answer C is therefore supported by the passage, not contradicted as the explanation suggests.

The answer suggested as correct is in fact not correct. There is in fact no information as to whether the students think that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. The section which the explanation suggests talks about this, actually discusses correlation between DIFFERENT teaching methods and the perception of students. It is perfectly possible to have no correlation because all of the teaching methods are associated with students considering that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. Even if there was a correlation here that would tell us that some instructional methods lead to students thinking the teachers are doing a good job, it wouldn't tell us how many students think their teachers are doing a good job!


Thank you for pointing out the above two points. Your first point is definitely valid and we have changed option C accordingly.

As for your second point, please note the following:

The proposition is: "an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction."

The underlined portion refers to the emphasis (importance) the teacher gives on instructional method / teaching strategy ( instructions / method how to teach). This partly also states that "We found limited support", i.e. NOT higly (widely) correlating.

In the explanation above (the green highlighted portions refer the text in the passage and the purple highlighted portions refer to the corresponding text in option B.



I got this questions in one of my Gmat Club tests and it still says B is the answer whereas I marked C as the answer. Can you please re-check and make sure to change the options accordingly.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 160

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3198

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 10:45
Argo wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
arthearoth wrote:
Sophomore is 2nd year. Junior and Senior are 3rd and 4th year. The passage says that "This disconnect [between the student's and instructor's perceptions] is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses". That means that the disconnect must be less in the Junior and Senior courses. Therefore the disconnect decreases as students progress to higher levels. Answer C is therefore supported by the passage, not contradicted as the explanation suggests.

The answer suggested as correct is in fact not correct. There is in fact no information as to whether the students think that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. The section which the explanation suggests talks about this, actually discusses correlation between DIFFERENT teaching methods and the perception of students. It is perfectly possible to have no correlation because all of the teaching methods are associated with students considering that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions. Even if there was a correlation here that would tell us that some instructional methods lead to students thinking the teachers are doing a good job, it wouldn't tell us how many students think their teachers are doing a good job!


Thank you for pointing out the above two points. Your first point is definitely valid and we have changed option C accordingly.

As for your second point, please note the following:

The proposition is: "an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction."

The underlined portion refers to the emphasis (importance) the teacher gives on instructional method / teaching strategy ( instructions / method how to teach). This partly also states that "We found limited support", i.e. NOT higly (widely) correlating.

In the explanation above (the green highlighted portions refer the text in the passage and the purple highlighted portions refer to the corresponding text in option B.



I got this questions in one of my Gmat Club tests and it still says B is the answer whereas I marked C as the answer. Can you please re-check and make sure to change the options accordingly.


Option B still is the correct answer. Option C was changed to rectify the mistake pointed out by another user. Option C could be considered correct previously, but after the change option C is definitely wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
V11-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 22:09
Hi guys, this is passage very challenging and rewarding. Unfortunately, the answer choices for this particular question really need to be edited b/c they are riddled with grammatical errors and poor phrasing. Choice by choice, a few suggestions:

A. Students have higher level of perception at sophomore level than at junior or senior levels.
** What exactly does 'higher' level of perception actually mean ? More positive ? Greater degree of statistically significant difference ? **

B. Students do not widely consider that teachers put in proper importance to teaching instructions.
** Maybe something was lost in translation when this was published, but 'put in proper importance' doesn't make any sense in standard written English. **

C. As students progress to higher levels, they have more dissimilar outlook to that of the professors than the lower levels.
** This would be a good candidate for GMAT Sentence Correction question :) **

D. Students at each different level have significantly different perception than those at other levels.
** Again, some sentence correction is in order here **

E. Sophomore students perceive critical thinking as more important for business studies than high or junior level students do.
** A 'high' student is a student under the influence of drugs :) If the intent is to refer to Juniors or Seniors, then the answer choice should, accordingly, make this clear. **

Cheers!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

V11-36   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2017, 22:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

V11-36

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.