Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Schools: Sloan '19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the r [#permalink]
Fellow readers,

For Question 7, I got stuck between A and B, but I chose B because of the following 2 reasons -
Choice A does give us some reason of possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency?. However, this choice goes little out of scope, as it uses "company with no guarantee that the company will continue to make further improvements in ecoefficiency."
Choice B is clearly in line with the passage -"Such innovations reduce production waste but do not alter the number of products manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard". Here alter definitely means reduce (because increase will not make any sense).
So I felt more confident with choice B. Might help you too.. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the r [#permalink]
gmatlbs wrote:
mamathak wrote:
manishgeorge wrote:
I have a question on #7.. Majority is going for answer B. But I am not understanding why that is a viable answer because. The passage suggests that the reduction in costs will not alter the total number of products being manufactured.

The last sentence says that Focusing
exclusively on ecoefficiency,
(50) which offers a compelling
business case according
to established thinking, may
distract companies from
pursuing radically different
(55) products and business
models.

That is the case unless the authors suggestions is adopted, correct. So I am getting the answer as E.

they will stops innovations.

Hi,

Even i chose E instead of B for the same reason. In option E, there is no content that goes against what is mentioned in the passage. But option B clearly mentions "manufacture greater number of products" which goes against the line " do not alter the number of products manufactured" in the passage. Can someone clarify?

IMO : OPTION E : A company that meets its ecoefficiency goals is unlikely to invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures.

Point#1 :new and innovative "ecoefficiency" measures-
last sentence of passage mentions "distract companies from pursuing radically differentproducts and business models", whereas as mentioned in first sentence "Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the reduction or elimination of waste from production processes".
second last sentence - "approach that reduces total material use and total accumulated waste"
Hence , "ecoefficiency" measures does not stand .
Point#2 :company that meets its ecoefficiency goals -
no where passage deals with meeting the goal or not.

B is almost discussed throughout the passage -
Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.
when production waste is reduced due to ecoefficient measures then the only source of increasing waste is more products.

hence we can reject E and go ahead with B.

Both B and E are almost correct. E is lacking the referrence of "meeting the goal or not" in the passage, but B stands in contrast to "not alter the total number of products." Its misguiding! The answer should not be partially correct. The increase in waste is not only caused by more products, but also by the "waste generated from their use and discard." Question 7 is simply incorrectly stated.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi - I have a question on why C is correct

The answer choice was : C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

Question : why is this correct when the author has multiple concerns --- not only one concern.

The multiple concerns were :

--- profit created and that would be lead to investing in not so efficient companies
--- Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy ...
--- Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract
companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.

Are these not multiple concerns ?

thank you !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
Hi - I have a question on why C is correct

The answer choice was : C. present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

Question : why is this correct when the author has multiple concerns --- not only one concern.

The multiple concerns were :

--- profit created and that would be lead to investing in not so efficient companies
--- Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy ...
--- Focusing exclusively on ecoefficiency, which offers a compelling business case according to established thinking, may distract
companies from pursuing radically different products and business models.

Are these not multiple concerns ?

thank you !

Allow me to answer your query:
While you have identified the points of the author, you missed the root of this discussion. Author started his arguments by quoting Peter Senge and Goran Carstedt point of view where they enlist A CONCERN i.e.: simply adopting ecoefficiency innovations could actually worsen environmental stresses in the future. Author agrees with the point and goes on to elaborate how this will come about. These are listed by you above. So the bigger picture is author explaining how environmental stress will come about and how is it going to impact business and industries, etc.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Imo C present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

A. explain why a particular business strategy has been less successful than was once anticipated Not mentioned in the passage
B. propose an alternative to a particular business strategy that has inadvertently caused ecological damage Out of scope
D. make a case for applying a particular business strategy on a larger scale than is currently practiced Not mentioned in the passage
E. suggest several possible outcomes of companies’ failure to understand the economic impact of a particular business strategy
Out of scope
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Passage notes:

1) Ecoefficiency: Goal for companies
Why? Cost savings
2) P & G see eco....as LAUDABLE

But (contrast): Will worsen environment because the no. of products and waste remain same.

Real reason why companies are going for eco.....: Profits and growth
Moreover (continuation on the same line): Investment issues

3) Suggestion by P & G: Focus SHOULD not be EXCLUSIVELY on ecoefficiency.

409. C
410. D
411. B

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

Originally posted by Shiv2016 on 29 Jun 2017, 03:01.
Last edited by Shiv2016 on 29 Sep 2017, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 824 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
chesstitans wrote:
D is the answer for question 6? (number 3)
I thought it would be C

Hello chesstitans & soumya170293,

The option C has been subtly differed from what is expected.

Text from passage - ....since in today’s global markets, greater profits may be turned into investment capital that could easily be reinvested in old-style eco-inefficient industries. - talks about reinvestment in (other) old eco-inefficient industries.

Q6:
The passage mentions which of the following as a possible consequence of companies’
realization of greater profits through ecoefficiency?

C. The profits may be reinvested to increase economic growth through ecoefficiency. - suggests re-investment in own company to increase growth.
D. The profits may be used as investment capital for industries that are not
ecoefficient. - clearly suggests reinvestment in other eco-inefficient industries.

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Can someone please explain why the primary purpose if the Passage cannot be A . I'm still confused. I could narrow down to A and C but i selected A since peter and Carstedt say that how companies adopted the Ecoefficiency to increase their profits but whereas the original goal of the plan was not that. so that's the reason i chose Option A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Experts please explain question 3. According to me it should be E because the companies are re-investing and not making eco-efficient products. The OA is B and I am confused. The passage says "they do not alter the number of products manufactured". How can this mean that the no. pf products are increasing (as mentioned in choice B). I clearly think E is the best choice .
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
rohitjha12 wrote:
Experts please explain question 3. According to me it should be E because the companies are re-investing and not making eco-efficient products. The OA is B and I am confused. The passage says "they do not alter the number of products manufactured". How can this mean that the no. pf products are increasing (as mentioned in choice B). I clearly think E is the best choice .

3. The passage implies that which of the following is a possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency? --- ans lies in following lines. ------ Even a vastly more ecoefficient industrial system could, were it to grow much larger, generate more total waste and destroy more habitat and species than would a smaller, less ecoefficient economy.

This matches B. Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [2]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos