Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 19:28 It is currently 01 May 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3813 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: Confusing Quant Score Data ESR [#permalink]
investlend2012 wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment QUANT.doc is no longer available
Why do the questions get harder if I am doing so poorly?

Hi investlend2012,

Here is my Analysis to the ESR you attached for the Quant:

Accuracy and Difficulty level:
Set-1: Your test started with Medium Difficulty and you got 4/7 correct. So Algorithm did not provide you MEDIUM-HIGH difficulty level questions in the set-2.
Set-2: You nailed all the 7/7 questions. With this you reached to MEDIUM-HIGH difficulty level questions.
Set-3: Here if you had gotten the high accuracy then algorithm could give you rather tough questions, which could give you a rise in score if marked correct. But you only got 3/7 correct.
Set-4: Again a steep in accuracy - 2/7 correct. Notice that this accuracy means you must have gotten consecutive 3 questions wrong, which has a higher Penalty.

Timing:
In first set you took 02:45min on an average and that led to the crunch of time in the end. So even if you could get higher accuracy in set-3 and set-4, you couldn't because of lack of time.

Area of Improvisation/What to do:
Concept Clarity
Practice and Revision of Error Log regularly.
Practice CATs to learn to Manage the Time. Also Develop a sense of 2 minute.

Please ask me followup question if there is any. Hope the explanation helps you.

Here is the Snapshot of Number of Questions you got correct in each set. Total Number of questions excludes the EXPERIMENTAL Questions.

Attachment:
Quant ESR Analysis.PNG
Quant ESR Analysis.PNG [ 10.91 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the review. I wasnt so surprised that it was that low considering the scores in each section and bombing algebra, its more that none of the questions averaged below medium difficulty that get me. Looking at the other ESR results in the link, the first 7 or 10 really does set the bar. crazy how critical even a couple of extra correct questions could really impact the algorithm and final score
Retired Moderator
Send PM
investlend2012 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I wasnt so surprised that it was that low considering the scores in each section and bombing algebra, its more that none of the questions averaged below medium difficulty that get me. Looking at the other ESR results in the link, the first 7 or 10 really does set the bar. crazy how critical even a couple of extra correct questions could really impact the algorithm and final score

Yes investlend2012, you get it right :)

Depending on the number of questions correct, Here are few thoughts:

4/7 --- Oh You just saved yourself getting drown too deep into lower difficulty level questions. You can still recover.
5/7 --- You're Fine. You have balanced out things. Not too good but not bad.
6/7 --- Yay! You just made the Algorithm Angry and that favors you :)
7/7 --- Awesome! You are on a new high level of difficulty, if you were already not there. Your score is just elevated to a new hieght.

Imagine if that 100% accuracy was in 1st set instead of 2nd OR accuracy was 86% in the 1st set i.e. 2 more questions correct. Score would have been much different!! Try for it the next time. All the Best!
GMAT Club Bot