It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 19:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confusing Quant Score Data ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Confusing Quant Score Data ESR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 09:02
Horrible score of 38, did not find that the questions were overly difficult, burned 3, say 4-5 50/50s... My arithemtic was above average my Algebra/Geometry was well below average so no shock from this the results avegerage out, However.....

Broker down into quadrants, Q1 57% correct, Q2 100% correct and then Q3 43%, Q4 29%....results got worse and looking at the aerage difficulty per question it correlates directly with the difficulty rising in a linear line up from the start to medium high difficulty in Q3 and then dropping into medium territoriy in Q4...

So I must of done alright since the algorithm is giving me harder and harder questions, my front half of the test not bad.... my last three prep tests were 57p, 54p and 63p.....On one hand the algebra score was terrible but then why is the difficulty not going down ??? Last real test quant was a 34p....my verbal is correlating exactly as my prep in the 80s and the ESR data correlates. This algorithm behavior in Quant doesnt make sense or does it?

D

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 09:10
investlend2012 wrote:
Horrible score of 38, did not find that the questions were overly difficult, burned 3, say 4-5 50/50s... My arithemtic was above average my Algebra/Geometry was well below average so no shock from this the results avegerage out, However.....

Broker down into quadrants, Q1 57% correct, Q2 100% correct and then Q3 43%, Q4 29%....results got worse and looking at the aerage difficulty per question it correlates directly with the difficulty rising in a linear line up from the start to medium high difficulty in Q3 and then dropping into medium territoriy in Q4...

So I must of done alright since the algorithm is giving me harder and harder questions, my front half of the test not bad.... my last three prep tests were 57p, 54p and 63p.....On one hand the algebra score was terrible but then why is the difficulty not going down ??? Last real test quant was a 34p....my verbal is correlating exactly as my prep in the 80s and the ESR data correlates. This algorithm behavior in Quant doesnt make sense or does it?

Hi investlend2012,

It would be easier to analyse the ESR, if you uploaded it here. You might wanna hide "FOR: --- | GMAT ID: --- | -- | Oct 3, 2017 | Appt ID: ---" though, but that's fine.

You can also take the reference of the following URL and do the analysis of ESR perfectly on your own:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 13:23
Attachment:
QUANT.doc [170.5 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times
To download please login or register as a user

Why do the questions get harder if I am doing so poorly?

D

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Confusing Quant Score Data ESR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 04:49
investlend2012 wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment QUANT.doc is no longer available
Why do the questions get harder if I am doing so poorly?

Hi investlend2012,

Here is my Analysis to the ESR you attached for the Quant:

Accuracy and Difficulty level:
Set-1: Your test started with Medium Difficulty and you got 4/7 correct. So Algorithm did not provide you MEDIUM-HIGH difficulty level questions in the set-2.
Set-2: You nailed all the 7/7 questions. With this you reached to MEDIUM-HIGH difficulty level questions.
Set-3: Here if you had gotten the high accuracy then algorithm could give you rather tough questions, which could give you a rise in score if marked correct. But you only got 3/7 correct.
Set-4: Again a steep in accuracy - 2/7 correct. Notice that this accuracy means you must have gotten consecutive 3 questions wrong, which has a higher Penalty.

Timing:
In first set you took 02:45min on an average and that led to the crunch of time in the end. So even if you could get higher accuracy in set-3 and set-4, you couldn't because of lack of time.

Area of Improvisation/What to do:
Concept Clarity
Practice and Revision of Error Log regularly.
Practice CATs to learn to Manage the Time. Also Develop a sense of 2 minute.

Please ask me followup question if there is any. Hope the explanation helps you.

Here is the Snapshot of Number of Questions you got correct in each set. Total Number of questions excludes the EXPERIMENTAL Questions.

Attachment:
Quant ESR Analysis.PNG
Quant ESR Analysis.PNG [ 10.91 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]

Target - 720-740

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 11:04
Thanks for the review. I wasnt so surprised that it was that low considering the scores in each section and bombing algebra, its more that none of the questions averaged below medium difficulty that get me. Looking at the other ESR results in the link, the first 7 or 10 really does set the bar. crazy how critical even a couple of extra correct questions could really impact the algorithm and final score

D

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 11:21
investlend2012 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I wasnt so surprised that it was that low considering the scores in each section and bombing algebra, its more that none of the questions averaged below medium difficulty that get me. Looking at the other ESR results in the link, the first 7 or 10 really does set the bar. crazy how critical even a couple of extra correct questions could really impact the algorithm and final score

Yes investlend2012, you get it right :)

Depending on the number of questions correct, Here are few thoughts:

4/7 --- Oh You just saved yourself getting drown too deep into lower difficulty level questions. You can still recover.
5/7 --- You're Fine. You have balanced out things. Not too good but not bad.
6/7 --- Yay! You just made the Algorithm Angry and that favors you :)
7/7 --- Awesome! You are on a new high level of difficulty, if you were already not there. Your score is just elevated to a new hieght.

Imagine if that 100% accuracy was in 1st set instead of 2nd OR accuracy was 86% in the 1st set i.e. 2 more questions correct. Score would have been much different!! Try for it the next time. All the Best!

Target - 720-740

Re: Confusing Quant Score Data ESR   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 11:21

Confusing Quant Score Data ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap