Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Help for Applicant With Weird Background... [#permalink]
Thanks guys! abhimahna said that I would likely need a 700 bare minimum. Do you agree 99Colleges ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72901 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Help for Applicant With Weird Background... [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think you want the best score you can get; however, FEMBA/PT MBA are much less focused on the GMAT and more so on work experience - you can definitely make it shine with your profile. The overall score requirements are less. I hope it is not going to make you slack but I would not think that all is lost if you get a 650 or 670. However, the golden rule is that 700 is always shinier than 600.

P.S. You can also approach adcom for the programs you are looking at and get their input about your candidacy - they usually are pretty open about it and can give you some indication/tips. (It is less competitive and they are eager to help out a good candidate)

By the way, i think your profile is great!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb thanks for the encouragement! You're right about talking to the adcom. The cool thing is many of the California adcoms have been very accommodating and accepting. But I always assume that they have to haha.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
You should be solid for almost any part time program if you score near or above a 700. Schools aren't super sensitive to gpa especially if you can demonstrate that is wasn't just from laziness. All of your activities during undergrad and your work experience should mitigate any concerns admins would have with your 2.6x
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jsmallwood82 wrote:
Hey there,

I'm currently applying for fully employed b schools that are in my home state of California and I'm concerned about my candidacy. On one hand, my candidacy is super strong, yet on the other hand, it's very weak.

Weaknesses/Question Marks:
2.66 overall GPA (3.0 first half of college, 2.4 second half of college) - this was due to me working a 40 hour a week internship for my final 2 years of college while playing Division I football. My junior year, I was in the hospital in the 3 weeks leading up to school when all of my muscles atrophied. Additionally, once I saw my career trajectory, I treated school as a minimum means to an end after my sophomore year. Now realize that was obviously not good
For the classes I didn't do well on in undergrad, I took summer classes and achieved a 3.2 across 5 classes and 3 institutions
Taking the GMAT 11/18, 1/9, and 3/3 so TBD on that score, last practice test a month ago was 600 but shooting for 660-710

Strengths:
Over 1K hours post grad volunteer experience (over 4 years)
Been studying/practicing cloud software since I was 10 (dad was early employee at notable startup that went public)
Mentored by VC's and CEO's from the tech industry
Involved with 2 IPO's and one acquisition by 24 (currently 26)
Grew a business line from nothing to $30M
Was the second marketing hire at 2 startups and built their email marketing and website infrastructure
Promoted 2 times in a 2 year period (have been out of school for 4 years)
Currently working with Microsoft to help them build their first retail ERP system
Started an 8 person health software company on the side in 2015 and created the structure for a health search algorithm and encrypted health passport. Currently have 2 customers, and achieved profitability
Took a business statistics class while working 3 hours away from the class and running a startup, but still earned an A this past summer
Chose to shoot for an MBA because while I can still continue my trajectory, I want to make sure my foundation is solid to sustain success

Does anyone have any tips, or frankly, any hope?

Hi jsmallwood82,

First things first, you have a differentiated profile, complete with leadership, entrepreneurial, and volunteering experience. Hence, a lot will depend on how well you utilize these experiences to create a strong application that highlights the competencies you have gained, and how you further wish to utilize the same in order to meet your career goals.

Yes, the GPA is a bit of a constraint. However, this may be addressed in an appropriate manner in the Optional Essay. Schools tend to understand and respect genuine reasons. Besides, a strong GMAT score (preferably above the 700 mark), coupled with a stellar application will reduce the influence of your GPA on the overall application :)

We strongly recommend that you now focus on building a strong case duly emphasizing the unique points in your profile. The rest will fall in place :)

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello there, I have a bit of an update. I'm interested to see if anybody's viewpoints changed...

So even though my GPA was still bad, I learned last week that I actually had a cumulative GPA of a 2.75 in undergrad, not a 2.66.

When I looked at the supplementary classes I took at 3 different community colleges, including one this past summer, my average GPA was around a 3.3. The business statistics class I took over the summer, I earned an A in (97%).

I took the GMAT in November and got a 610. Not great, but an improvement from the 490 on my first baseline attempt. I am taking a second attempt this weekend.

I got really good recommendations. One from my mentor, a VC who was one of the the main investors in GoPro, Crocs, etc. And one from my manager without talking to my mentor or me, echoing many of his sentiments. My mentor explained how he had known me for 20 years and watched me develop into a strong leader and entrepreneur. My boss explained how she saw me as a partner, how I transformed my day job into a digital first business, and how I reduced costs by a factor of 10.

Finally, I wrote my essay from the heart. I mentioned how I knew I wanted to be in technology after meeting Bill Hewlett of HP at age 7, which caused me to focus on being a technology CEO. With the mentors I had growing up and going to private school, I had a great start. I also explained how in college, which took me from my privileged background to the "hood" of DC (true story), I was doing well in school until I got my first tech job with a company I had been involved with since I was 10, and IPO'ed with at 16. I mentioned how after getting that job and knowing that I would have a similar job out of college, I mentally checked out. Going to the hospital for 3 weeks and playing college football didn't help either.

To close the essay, I mentioned how my flippant attitude towards school may not have changed the dramatic uptick of my career, but being transported to an opposite environment from the one I grew up in and realizing that I was wasting privileges many would die for through my experiences and friendships with people who grew up in the slums, I was hoping to get an MBA to better refine my skills and hopefully share my experiences to help create a less divisive society. Additionally, I wrote that I hoped my story would help empower other African Americans like me to not be so scared of the elite business world.

Ultimately, the (honest) truth I tried to convey in my application is that I grew up privileged, took it for granted, and through many bumps and bruises, realized that success wasn't just for my benefit - it was to better society as a whole and hopefully inspire individuals to be who they are meant to be.

Any thoughts or feedback? I'm applying to Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and USC.
GMAT Club Bot