It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help for Applicant With Weird Background...

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Help for Applicant With Weird Background... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 17:12
Hey there,

I'm currently applying for fully employed b schools that are in my home state of California and I'm concerned about my candidacy. On one hand, my candidacy is super strong, yet on the other hand, it's very weak.

Weaknesses/Question Marks:
2.66 overall GPA (3.0 first half of college, 2.4 second half of college) - this was due to me working a 40 hour a week internship for my final 2 years of college while playing Division I football. My junior year, I was in the hospital in the 3 weeks leading up to school when all of my muscles atrophied. Additionally, once I saw my career trajectory, I treated school as a minimum means to an end after my sophomore year. Now realize that was obviously not good
For the classes I didn't do well on in undergrad, I took summer classes and achieved a 3.2 across 5 classes and 3 institutions
Taking the GMAT 11/18, 1/9, and 3/3 so TBD on that score, last practice test a month ago was 600 but shooting for 660-710

Strengths:
Over 1K hours post grad volunteer experience (over 4 years)
Been studying/practicing cloud software since I was 10 (dad was early employee at notable startup that went public)
Mentored by VC's and CEO's from the tech industry
Involved with 2 IPO's and one acquisition by 24 (currently 26)
Grew a business line from nothing to $30M
Was the second marketing hire at 2 startups and built their email marketing and website infrastructure
Promoted 2 times in a 2 year period (have been out of school for 4 years)
Currently working with Microsoft to help them build their first retail ERP system
Started an 8 person health software company on the side in 2015 and created the structure for a health search algorithm and encrypted health passport. Currently have 2 customers, and achieved profitability
Took a business statistics class while working 3 hours away from the class and running a startup, but still earned an A this past summer
Chose to shoot for an MBA because while I can still continue my trajectory, I want to make sure my foundation is solid to sustain success

Does anyone have any tips, or frankly, any hope?

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 963 [1], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Help for Applicant With Weird Background... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi jsmallwood82 ,

Welcome to GMATClub :)

I believe your strengths are way more than your weaknesses. If you could get a high Gmat score, you can very well prove your academic capabilities. Also, you can provide proper justification about your weaknesses in optional essay and support your point with a good Gmat score.

All the best :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 963 [1], given: 69

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 05:13
This post received
KUDOS
You’ve strong, not-so-common work experience, which is a big positive. Explain the reasons you’ve mentioned for low GPA in the optional essay, and get a strong GMAT score.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 17:20
Thanks guys! abhimahna said that I would likely need a 700 bare minimum. Do you agree 99Colleges ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29359 [1], given: 5298

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Help for Applicant With Weird Background... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think you want the best score you can get; however, FEMBA/PT MBA are much less focused on the GMAT and more so on work experience - you can definitely make it shine with your profile. The overall score requirements are less. I hope it is not going to make you slack but I would not think that all is lost if you get a 650 or 670. However, the golden rule is that 700 is always shinier than 600.

P.S. You can also approach adcom for the programs you are looking at and get their input about your candidacy - they usually are pretty open about it and can give you some indication/tips. (It is less competitive and they are eager to help out a good candidate)

By the way, i think your profile is great!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29359 [1], given: 5298

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 14:05
bb thanks for the encouragement! You're right about talking to the adcom. The cool thing is many of the California adcoms have been very accommodating and accepting. But I always assume that they have to haha.

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [2], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
You should be solid for almost any part time program if you score near or above a 700. Schools aren't super sensitive to gpa especially if you can demonstrate that is wasn't just from laziness. All of your activities during undergrad and your work experience should mitigate any concerns admins would have with your 2.6x

Kudos [?]: 52 [2], given: 7

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Experts' Global Representative
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jsmallwood82 wrote:
Hey there,

I'm currently applying for fully employed b schools that are in my home state of California and I'm concerned about my candidacy. On one hand, my candidacy is super strong, yet on the other hand, it's very weak.

Weaknesses/Question Marks:
2.66 overall GPA (3.0 first half of college, 2.4 second half of college) - this was due to me working a 40 hour a week internship for my final 2 years of college while playing Division I football. My junior year, I was in the hospital in the 3 weeks leading up to school when all of my muscles atrophied. Additionally, once I saw my career trajectory, I treated school as a minimum means to an end after my sophomore year. Now realize that was obviously not good
For the classes I didn't do well on in undergrad, I took summer classes and achieved a 3.2 across 5 classes and 3 institutions
Taking the GMAT 11/18, 1/9, and 3/3 so TBD on that score, last practice test a month ago was 600 but shooting for 660-710

Strengths:
Over 1K hours post grad volunteer experience (over 4 years)
Been studying/practicing cloud software since I was 10 (dad was early employee at notable startup that went public)
Mentored by VC's and CEO's from the tech industry
Involved with 2 IPO's and one acquisition by 24 (currently 26)
Grew a business line from nothing to $30M
Was the second marketing hire at 2 startups and built their email marketing and website infrastructure
Promoted 2 times in a 2 year period (have been out of school for 4 years)
Currently working with Microsoft to help them build their first retail ERP system
Started an 8 person health software company on the side in 2015 and created the structure for a health search algorithm and encrypted health passport. Currently have 2 customers, and achieved profitability
Took a business statistics class while working 3 hours away from the class and running a startup, but still earned an A this past summer
Chose to shoot for an MBA because while I can still continue my trajectory, I want to make sure my foundation is solid to sustain success

Does anyone have any tips, or frankly, any hope?

Hi jsmallwood82,

First things first, you have a differentiated profile, complete with leadership, entrepreneurial, and volunteering experience. Hence, a lot will depend on how well you utilize these experiences to create a strong application that highlights the competencies you have gained, and how you further wish to utilize the same in order to meet your career goals.

Yes, the GPA is a bit of a constraint. However, this may be addressed in an appropriate manner in the Optional Essay. Schools tend to understand and respect genuine reasons. Besides, a strong GMAT score (preferably above the 700 mark), coupled with a stellar application will reduce the influence of your GPA on the overall application :)

We strongly recommend that you now focus on building a strong case duly emphasizing the unique points in your profile. The rest will fall in place :)

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 0

Re: Help for Applicant With Weird Background...   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 19:06

Help for Applicant With Weird Background...

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap