Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 00:49 It is currently 02 May 2024, 00:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28589 [21]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2472 [6]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
John has on his shelf four books of poetry [#permalink]
hello,
Why can't we do it this way: 4/10 *2/9= 4/45?
And if we are multiplying by 2 to change the order, then why didn't we do the same for this question:
a-division-of-a-company-consists-of-seven-men-and-five-women-145433.html

Here we used the same approach: 5/12 * 4/11 = 5/33. I'm very confused why the first question has been multiplied by two and not this one as well. After all, there are two ways of picking the women too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: Rotman '17
Send PM
Re: John has on his shelf four books of poetry [#permalink]
Kudos
usre123 wrote:
hello,
And if we are multiplying by 2 to change the order, then why didn't we do the same for this question:
a-division-of-a-company-consists-of-seven-men-and-five-women-145433.html

Here we used the same approach: 5/12 * 4/11 = 5/33. I'm very confused why the first question has been multiplied by two and not this one as well. After all, there are two ways of picking the women too.

This is because this question asks us to pick two separate books. If the question asked us the probability to pick 2 novels then you wouldn't multiply with 2. Similarly, the question you are referring to asks you the probability of picking 2 women. Therefore you don't multiply by 2. Had it asked you the probability of picking one man and one woman then you would multiply by 2 because you could pick the man first or pick the man second. When you pick only women, it doesn't matter what's first or second because they both are women. Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I agree with one of the above posters. I think the correct answer should 4/5. Once we pick a book, it's no longer on the shelf. So (4/10) * (2/9) = 4/45

incorrect?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620626 [3]
Given Kudos: 81712
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JackSparr0w wrote:
John has on his shelf four books of poetry, four novels, and two reference works. Suppose from these ten books, we were to pick two books at random. What is the probability that we pick one novel and one reference work?
(A) 1/2
(B) 2/5
(C) 3/10
(D) 7/20
(E) 8/45

I agree with one of the above posters. I think the correct answer should 4/5. Once we pick a book, it's no longer on the shelf. So (4/10) * (2/9) = 4/45

incorrect?

When we are picking two books, one novel and one reference work, we could either pick a novel first and then a reference book or pick a reference book and then a novel. Therefore the answer is 4/10*2/9 + 2/10*4/9 = 8/45.

Answer: E.

Or, use combinations: \(P=\frac{C^1_4*C^1_2}{C^2_{10}}=\frac{8}{45}\).

Answer: E.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2699 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi everyone here's the shortest way to tackle such questions - Probability approach
Total = 10 Books

4/10*4/9=8/45 (E) Consider to pick 9 books as total for the second choice, as there is 1 book less after the first pick
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32141 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
Expert Reply
BrainLab wrote:
Hi everyone here's the shortest way to tackle such questions - Probability approach
Total = 10 Books

4/10*4/9=8/45 (E) Consider to pick 9 books as total for the second choice, as there is 1 book less after the first pick

hi, your answer is correct but approach is wrong...
how did you get 4 as numerator in both cases .. reference books are o two in number so it should be 2/9..
so to pick up two books randomly ans is 4/10*2/9, but these two books can be picked up in 2! ways within themselves..
so 4/10*2/9*2!=8/45..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2699 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
BrainLab wrote:
Total = 10 Books

how did you get 4 as numerator in both cases .. reference books are o two in number so it should be 2/9..
so to pick up two books randomly ans is 4/10*2/9, but these two books can be picked up in 2! ways within themselves..
so 4/10*2/9*2!=8/45..

The second 4 in the numerator is YOUR 2! ;) ... you can write it 2/9*2 or 4/9
I should have written it down in a more detailed way.. just too involved in such kind of questions in the last time.. that's why skipping some basic steps... ))
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32141 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
Expert Reply
BrainLab wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
BrainLab wrote:
Total = 10 Books

so 4/10*2/9*2!=8/45..

I should have written it down in a more detailed way.. just too involved in such kind of questions in the last time.. that's why skipping some basic steps... ))

hi,
you did mention about denominator 10 and 9, so expected that you will not miss out mentioning about my 2! :wink: , after all it is more likely to be missed by students than 9 in denominator..
i know 2/9 * 2! is 4/9, but it is important to understand the reasoning behind it.. otherwise you could have straight way written 8/45 :wink: , after all it is equal to 4/10*4/9...
Anyway good shortest way to answer such Qs :) :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
BrainLab wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
BrainLab wrote:
Total = 10 Books

so 4/10*2/9*2!=8/45..

Sorry, but both of you sound off in your approach to this.
The second 2 in the numerator appears because you need to account for the order in which you end up picking.
i.e.
p(novel) x p(ref) + p(ref) x p(novel)
(4/10 x 2/9) + (2/9 x 4/10)
or (4/10 x 2/9) x 2!
This is not the same as 4/10 x (2/9 x 2!)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
nyoebic wrote:
usre123 wrote:
hello,
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-division-of ... 45433.html

This is because this question asks us to pick two separate books. If the question asked us the probability to pick 2 novels then you wouldn't multiply with 2. Similarly, the question you are referring to asks you the probability of picking 2 women. Therefore you don't multiply by 2. Had it asked you the probability of picking one man and one woman then you would multiply by 2 because you could pick the man first or pick the man second. When you pick only women, it doesn't matter what's first or second because they both are women. Hope that helps!

I'm still not sure I understand the logic here. We multiply by 2, which increases the probability that the event would occur. Why would the probability be higher (double) when we pick one book from two different genres, rather than picking two books from one genre? At the end of the day, we are still picking two books. In other words, why would the probability of picking one of one type of book and one of another type of book be higher than the probability of picking two of one type of book? As Usre123 mentioned, we can still pick those two books of the same genre in two different orders. Please help me understand the logic here - thanks!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28589 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
mbah191 wrote:
I'm still not sure I understand the logic here. We multiply by 2, which increases the probability that the event would occur. Why would the probability be higher (double) when we pick one book from two different genres, rather than picking two books from one genre? At the end of the day, we are still picking two books. In other words, why would the probability of picking one of one type of book and one of another type of book be higher than the probability of picking two of one type of book? As Usre123 mentioned, we can still pick those two books of the same genre in two different orders. Please help me understand the logic here - thanks!

Dear mbah191,

This is Mike McGarry, author of the question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

The curious thing about this question is that, for the purpose of the question, all we know is that we have "four books of poetry, four novels, and two reference works." In other words, for the purpose of the question, we are considering the four books of poetry identical, the four novels identical, and the two reference works identical. This may or may not be the case with the real books, but this is how the problem is set up.

Let's pretend that all these books in each of the three categories are identical. Suppose, for some reason, John has four identical copies of the same poetry book, four identical copies of the same novel, and two identical copies of the same dictionary. The only way to arrive at the result of "two poetry books" would be to pick a poetry book on the first choice and another poetry book on the second choice. There's no other way to reach that result.

By contrast, to get the result "one novel and one reference book," it's possible to get to that result in two different ways:
(1) pick a novel first, then pick a reference work on the second choice
(2) pick a reference work first, then pick a novel on the second choice
Unlike the two-of-the-same case, there are two different routes that lead to this same result. If we figure out the probability of following one of these routes, we would have to double that probability to account for all the ways to arrive at that result.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 824 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92988 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts