Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: GMAT score assessment [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmblr wrote:
I took the GMAT exam today and I'm very happy with my score - 720 (94 percentile) , Quant 49 (75p), Verbal 39 (89p).
The thing is I totally failed the Integrated Reasoning section, messed up so hard and got 1 (0 percentile :oops: ) on the unofficial report. Well, I plan to apply for a master degree in Finance in Europe (Germany or Switzerland) and I'm afraid that the 0 percentile on IR would somehow worsen the overall image of my GMAT score. However, the programs I plan to apply for indicate requirements only for Quant and Verbal sections, but I am afraid that the admission committee actually takes into account all the sections (are they?)
My question may seem awkward but I would be very happy to know whether my fear is justified or not :angel: Many thanks!
P.S. The essay was good, I expect at least a 4.5 on that secton

Hi gmblr,

Definitely a good GMAT score but sorry to hear about the IR Score :(

So, if you have a couple of schools in mind and you are definitely looking to apply there, we would suggest that you write to the Admissions Committee and seek their opinion. Basis their response, you could proceed with the next steps. However, if you are looking to apply to a much larger number of schools, we suggest you retake the GMAT. In all probability, you may only end up boosting your score, which will be even better :)

Hope you get through your dream college :) :)

All the best!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey gmblr
While we still don't know how schools are using the IR score, my concern for you is that it raises a red flag and you don't want any red flags. I recommend a retake. And then depending on the outcome, you may also want to write an optional essay that explains what happened the first time around. (Short...a few sentences.)
Krista
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT score assessment [#permalink]
Thank you guys for your responses! I wrote emails to the both univesities and i got thw following responses:
From swiss uni: "Dear Mr. Xxxxx

We look at the overall score. We don't communicate a minimum GMAT score, however applicants who were admitted without further requirements and conditions hat an average GMAT score of 660.

I hope this helps you, kind regards"

And from the Frankfurt uni : "Dear Mr. Xxxx

We only take the quantitative and verbal sections into consideration. Congratulations on the great results!

Should you have further questions just send me an e-mail."

Do you think I'm good with my GMAT now?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmblr wrote:
Thank you guys for your responses! I wrote emails to the both univesities and i got thw following responses:

We look at the overall score. We don't communicate a minimum GMAT score, however applicants who were admitted without further requirements and conditions hat an average GMAT score of 660.

We only take the quantitative and verbal sections into consideration. Congratulations on the great results!

Hey,

Congratulations. You are all set now. No need to give Gmat anymore and focus on your applications now.

All the best :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1993 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
gmblr wrote:

Hi
Based on the replies received, I think you should retake the Gmat. This is because Swiss university looks at the overall Gmat score, which means they take the IR and AWA section scores also into consideration. Frankfurt only take Quant and Verbal sections, but there's no harm in giving another try at the Gmat and improving your overall score.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmblr wrote:
I took the GMAT exam today and I'm very happy with my score - 720 (94 percentile) , Quant 49 (75p), Verbal 39 (89p).
The thing is I totally failed the Integrated Reasoning section, messed up so hard and got 1 (0 percentile :oops: ) on the unofficial report. Well, I plan to apply for a master degree in Finance in Europe (Germany or Switzerland) and I'm afraid that the 0 percentile on IR would somehow worsen the overall image of my GMAT score. However, the programs I plan to apply for indicate requirements only for Quant and Verbal sections, but I am afraid that the admission committee actually takes into account all the sections (are they?)
My question may seem awkward but I would be very happy to know whether my fear is justified or not :angel: Many thanks!
P.S. The essay was good, I expect at least a 4.5 on that secton

Congrats on the overall score and I am sorry about IR. It looks like something strange happened there. The good news is that IR is almost factored out of the process. Key word is almost. I used to say it doesn't matter at all but today it matters a little bit. I suggest to retake it and even if you get a few points it will show your abilities.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmblr wrote:

The Frankfurt Uni has replied to your question with a direct "ignore the IR" and that's great.
The Swiss Uni hasn't really replied to your question. It seems like a standard answer to score queries. Does the overall score mean the one you get out of 800? Possible. Does it mean all sections including IR and AWA will be considered? Again possible. Though their average GMAT of 660 is quite a bit below your GMAT score so that's good.

All in all, this would be my advice:
If you are serious about the Swiss uni and do not have major time and money constraints, you could try a retake after working on IR. Else, you can just go ahead with the app.
GMAT Club Bot