Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16845 [26]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16845 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: If the probability of Ronaldo will do at least 3 goals in the match is [#permalink]
Kudos
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
3 deadly mistakes you must avoid in Probability - Exercise Question #4

4-If the probability that Ronaldo will score at least 3 goals in the match is 0.59 and the probability that Ronaldo’s team will win the match is 0.73. What is the greatest probability that neither of the two events will occur.

Options

a) 0.1107
    b) 0.27
    c) 0.41
    d) 0.5693
    e) 0.62

I think there is an Error.
Ans A:
Neither of the two event will occur = Probability= .27*.41 = .1107
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16845 [1]
Send PM
Re: If the probability of Ronaldo will do at least 3 goals in the match is [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dkumar2012 wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

4-If the probability that Ronaldo will score at least 3 goals in the match is 0.59 and the probability that Ronaldo’s team will win the match is 0.73. What is the greatest probability that neither of the two events will occur.

Options

a) 0.1107
    b) 0.27
    c) 0.41
    d) 0.5693
    e) 0.62

I think there is an Error.
Ans A:
Neither of the two event will occur = Probability= .27*.41 = .1107

Hey,

It's a trick question actually. :)

There is no mistake in it. I would request you to go through the following article and read Probability in Dependent Events to understand this question.

3 deadly mistakes you must avoid in Probability

There is a similar question asked in GMATPrep, here is the link : Click Here
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16845 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kaushiksamrat wrote:
Answer is a - 0.1107 as probability for not scoring atleast 3 goals is 0.41 and probability for not wining match is 0.27.. so 0.41 X 0.27 = 0.1107

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hey,

Unfortunately your answer is not correct. :(

I would request you to go through the following article and read Probability in Dependent Events to understand this question.

3 deadly mistakes you must avoid in Probability

There is a similar question asked in GMATPrep, here is the link : Click Here
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [4]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

4--If the probability that Ronaldo will score at least 3 goals in the match is 0.59 and the probability that Ronaldo’s team will win the match is 0.73. What is the greatest probability that neither of the two events will occur.

Options

a) 0.1107
    b) 0.27
    c) 0.41
    d) 0.5693
    e) 0.62

To solve question all the practice questions:3 deadly mistakes you must avoid in Probability - Practise Questions

Since the event that Ronaldo will score atleast 3 goals in the match and Ronaldo's team
winning the match are dependant, in order to find the greatest probability that neither
of the events occur, we need to find the individual probabilies:

P(Ronaldo doesn't score 3 goals) = 1 - P(Ronaldo scores 3 goals) = 1 - 0.59 = 0.41
P(Ronaldo's team doesn't win the match) = 1 - P(Ronaldo's team wins) = 1 - 0.73 = 0.27

Therefore, the greatest probability that neither of the events take place is 0.27 (Option B)

P.S Here, the greatest probability that neither of the events will occur is the probability
of the more probable event(Ronaldo's team winning the match) not occuring.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
pushpitkc

Quote:
P.S Here, the greatest probability that neither of the events will occur is the probability

Yet another tip learnt from your post. Thanks much
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:

Please clarify how you reached to this conclusion ? I am still not able to understand this. because if Neither of the event will occur means, as i understand, neither of these two event occur together.. I am really confused with this language of the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos