Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 14:10 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 14:10
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-01-2012
GRE 1: Q780 V500
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11709 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT is 2 months and bad quant scores [#permalink]
Thank you Rich for the response. I am kind of stuck on what needs to be done here. Below are the responses. I started taking gnat club math tests very recently (3 tests only) and its been a good learning experience.
1. No. I did not take any other full length CAT because i hqvebt started working on verbal yet.
2. My goal is to score around 700
3. I am applying for foster school and probably Duke.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11709 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sateesh611,

Even though you have not studied much for the Verbal section so far, it's still important to take FULL-LENGTH CATs at regular intervals (since there are Test-taking skills that take time to develop, but that can really only be learned by taking CATs over time). In addition, some of the skills that you've developed during your Quant studies will apply to how you handle the Verbal section - and it's important to see how well you've honed your overall skills at this point. As such, I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAT CATs and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC: Thank you. Understood. I will take the full CAT this week and let you know. Appreciate the advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Couldn't agree more with Rich. You could know all the concepts and do very well individually, but if you do not practice full CATs and train yourself to handle pressure, then you're doing yourself a disservice.

As far as the scores go, I think you're within the range that implies you need to brush up on concepts before putting too much time into repeat practice. There was a very good post series Rich (I think at least or was it Math Revolution?) once posted which outlines what you should brush up on if your quant scores are within 44-50 range or 35-40 range, etc. Search for those - it will be very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you. These are some topics I found ( posting here in case some one needs it)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 42810.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-inc ... 38750.html
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34732 [1]
Given Kudos: 5816
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sateesh611 wrote:
My Gmat is in about 2 months( 9 weeks). My initial plan was to do quant for a month, verbal for a month and revise for the last month(+AWA/IR). I was working on my quant for the last 1 month using MGMAT guides. I was planing to start working on verbal few days ago and wanted to check on how I am doing math now ( I gave a veritas GMAT without any preparation before studying and score 580 ( Q44, V27). I was hoping my quant "might" be up a point or two. )

The last few days have been depressing given that my quant scores are way too low ( I took 3 gmat club tests and the scores are 35,38,44. These scores are not due to silly mistakes. I am not sure what I am missing here. I am using my time efficiently too ( around 2 minutes per Q)

TEST 3- SCORE 35 PERCENTILE 31 %. Correct: 15, Incorrect:16
TEST 2 -SCORE 38 PERCENTILE 38 % Correct: 13, Incorrect:18
TEST 1 -SCORE 44 PERCENTILE 54 % Correct: 18, Incorrect:13

How do I go about it?
1. Do I have to reschedule the GMAT?

Available resources:
I have MGMAT(5th edition and 6 CATS available), OG 18 Guides and GMAT Club tests.

I can spend about 15 hours a week givem my hectic schedule. Could someone help me with a plan please? I am planning to apply for next year. So I do have time, However, My work is going to get worse as the year progresses so planning to give my test in the next 3-4 months.

Best Books

For Concept Learning

Manhattan Quant Guides
Manhattan Verbal Guides
For CR: The Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible
For RC: Aristotle RC Grail

For Practice

The Official Guide for GMAT 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2015-18

Strategies

You can start with Quant or Verbal which suits you. If you have started with Quant then Start with the Arithmetic but if started with verbal then start first with Sentence correction. One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question and same practice for Verbal. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Top CATs for Practice

1. Official GMAC CATs
2. Manhattan CATs
3. Kaplan CATs
4. GMAT Club Quant CATs

Good Luck
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 672 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM