Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Does reapplying to schools lower chances? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Tony,

Generally speaking, admissions committees do not look negatively upon re-applicants and will evaluate applications with a fresh set of eyes. (Granted, if you've done little or nothing to address what kept you out in the first time, that will raise some eyebrows and won't bode well for you.)

If you're considering applying to schools like NYU Stern this year, then should really focus on boosting that GMAT score. Stern's median GMAT is 720, and while its middle 80% range is a fairly wide 650 to 760, you'd probably be better off waiting anyway if you ended up with a similar or only slightly higher score with the GMAT re-take.

Promotions, advancement, and leadership are definitely good, so the new opportunity sounds like it will add value. Applying with 5.5 years of experience to enroll with 6.5 begins to push you toward the higher end of many schools' middle 80% range, but that's still very much a fine juncture at which to apply. As always, you'll want to be proactive about explaining why you're pursuing an MBA and "why now." Only a few programs offer drilled-down work experience detail, but for context, Kellogg's middle 80% work experience range is 3.5 to 7.0 years and Columbia's is 3.0 to 8.0 years. (I know you didn't mention those programs, but those are good representative examples.) Long story short, you'd still be in the middle 80% range for work experience at that time; though the year after that, you'd begin to step out of it for some programs.

If you do boost your score into better range for NYU Stern and similar programs and have the itch to apply, I think you'd be justified in doing so. At the same time, it depends on how interested you are both personally and professionally in the new job. If you think you'll like it and think one or two years there will boost your MBA and post-MBA prospects, then should feel comfortable being patient and applying in earnest next year or the year after.

Whether now or in the future, make sure you are extremely thoughtful and specific about your career goals and rationale for needing an MBA; tell your story; make sure you get to know the programs extremely well; consider how who you are and what you've done to this point PLUS the MBA equals or leads to your short- and long-term goals; consider what knowledge, skills, and experience you have that are already relevant; consider what knowledge, skills, and experience you're missing and therefore need to acquire via the MBA; consider how exactly you'd acquire them at each MBA program (courses, clubs, extracurriculars, etc.); how will you uniquely contribute?; what about a given program's culture, community, and career opportunities make it right for you; attend events, speak with current students and alumni, and visit if you can.

Hope this helps! Happy to have a more nuanced conversation if ever helpful: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg

tonyjyoo wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
tonyjyoo wrote:
Hello,

I want to apply to schools this year but just recently accepted a promotion at a different company. Would it be wise to work longer, then apply for school, or apply this Round 1/2 and in the chance I don't get accepted, apply again the following year?

Tony

Hi Tony,

It depends on many factors. what is your overall work experience? what value will the additional year of work experience add to your profile if you apply next year? How well is your new role aligned with your post MBA career goals?

You can reapply to colleges, but its never a good strategy to reapply to all- you must add a few new b-schools to your mix to maximize your chance of acceptance. As a reapplicant, you will have to explain how you have grown over the past year and why you are a better candidate now

Currently I have about 3.5 years work experience, and am just starting a new role as a Senior Financial Analyst. I was wondering if I wait another year I could have 2 more years in my WE as a Senior analyst, which I assume would help with my application as it shows progression in my career.

It is perfectly aligned. I want to get an MBA in Finance. My number 1 pick is NYU. I'm currently studying the GMAT again to raise my 650 from last year to hopefully 700+.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Does reapplying to schools lower chances? [#permalink]