Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 21:04 It is currently 05 May 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [42]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32288 [6]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Re: An experiment at Long Island High School revealed that students [#permalink]
Kudos
Mona10031990 wrote:
please explain why D is correct answer..and not C

The conclusion is that good command over English improves logic.

C. Students with good English cannot score low in logic tests.
Negate this option:-Students with good English CAN score low in logic tests. This is saying about a possibility. However,this is not completely making the argument fall apart.

D. Lack of logical thinking ability does not cause poor language skills.
Negate this option:-Lack of logical thinking ability does not causes poor language skills. This is reversing the cause and effect after negation.If the lack of logic is causing poor language skills,the argument will fall apart as in the argument it is said that A(Good English) leads to B(Improved Logic).

IMO D is correct.

carcass GMATNinja
abhimahna
Skywalker18
gmatexam439

Kindly throw some light.

I hope that helps!!
Own Kudos [?]: 1972 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: An experiment at Long Island High School revealed that students [#permalink]
Bookmarks
warrior1991 wrote:
Mona10031990 wrote:

Negate this option:-Students with good English CAN score low in logic tests. This is saying about a possibility. However,this is not completely making the argument fall apart.

Negate this option:-Lack of logical thinking ability does not causes poor language skills. This is reversing the cause and effect after negation.If the lack of logic is causing poor language skills,the argument will fall apart as in the argument it is said that A(Good English) leads to B(Improved Logic).

IMO D is correct.

carcass GMATNinja
abhimahna
Skywalker18
gmatexam439

Kindly throw some light.

I hope that helps!!

Hi bro,
You reasoning is correct. This is a cause and effect question.

However, we can straight away cancel out C because it is an exaggerated choice. "Cannot" is an extremem word and in the given context isn't the correct word to be used

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
Mona10031990 wrote:

IMO D is correct.

carcass GMATNinja
abhimahna
Skywalker18
gmatexam439

Kindly throw some light.

I hope that helps!!

Hi bro,
You reasoning is correct. This is a cause and effect question.

However, we can straight away cancel out C because it is an exaggerated choice. "Cannot" is an extremem word and in the given context isn't the correct word to be used

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for reverting !!
My first impression after looking at the option C was same.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
aragonn wrote:
An experiment at Long Island High School revealed that students who have low grades in English tend to score much lower on logic tests than do students with average or high grades in English. It can be concluded from this experiment that good command over English improves logic.

The researcher’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. English contributes more to logic than other areas like Mathematics do.
B. English and logic are fundamentally similar.
E. English is one of the best ways to improve logic.

Source - expert global

Straight logic or reasoning..
people with A( high grades in English) have high B( score on logic tests) and people with (not A) have lower B.
So A leads to high B.

Now with this type of reasoning, two types of question can be asked and both the question will have similar answer - Why can't B lead to A

1) If asked to find a flaw in argument
B could be the reason for A..
2) If we are asked to support the reasoning or an assumption.
So if reasoning is correct the assumption can be it is not vice versa that is "B is not the reason for A"

This is given by D
D. Lack of logical thinking ability(not B) does not cause poor language skills (not A).

I understood both the question types you mentioned above and I also marked the correct answer as D for the mentioned reason. I have somewhat mugged this up but still lacks the correct logic how avoiding the reverse cause can save the argument from falling apart.?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
AkshdeepS wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
aragonn wrote:
An experiment at Long Island High School revealed that students who have low grades in English tend to score much lower on logic tests than do students with average or high grades in English. It can be concluded from this experiment that good command over English improves logic.

A. English contributes more to logic than other areas like Mathematics do.
B. English and logic are fundamentally similar.
E. English is one of the best ways to improve logic.

Source - expert global

Straight logic or reasoning..
people with A( high grades in English) have high B( score on logic tests) and people with (not A) have lower B.
So A leads to high B.

Now with this type of reasoning, two types of question can be asked and both the question will have similar answer - Why can't B lead to A

1) If asked to find a flaw in argument
B could be the reason for A..
2) If we are asked to support the reasoning or an assumption.
So if reasoning is correct the assumption can be it is not vice versa that is "B is not the reason for A"

This is given by D
D. Lack of logical thinking ability(not B) does not cause poor language skills (not A).

I understood both the question types you mentioned above and I also marked the correct answer as D for the mentioned reason. I have somewhat mugged this up but still lacks the correct logic how avoiding the reverse cause can save the argument from falling apart.?

Hi ,

Negate D and then you will come to understand that the argument does not make any sense.
Here is the negated D Lack of logical thinking ability cause poor language skills. Notice i have removed does not from the original choice D. Now you can see that the whole premise falls apart and there is no point in discussing the findings in argument as they would be preposterous.

Please read this Magoosh article by Mikemacgarry
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/assumptio ... -the-gmat/.

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [1]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, Mona10031990! Kindly allow me to explain.
Mona10031990 wrote:

But first, let us examine the causality in the question passage.

Students scoring low grades in English ===tend to====> score lower in logic tests.
Students scoring average or high grades in english ===tend to====> score higher in logic tests than the ones who score low in english.

There seems to be a causal relationship between scoring average/well in language and scoring better in logic tests.

Quote:

Sweeping conclusion about ALL students is the error here. The question explicitly mentions tend to and not that ALL students who score well in English tests ALWAYS perform better in logic tests.

Can be properly inferred from the causal dependencies as mentioned in the passage. Certainly fills the gap between the conclusion and the premise.

Scrolling with no Kudos? :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Mona10031990 wrote:

Hi Mona10031990,

Choice C does not help us. If student such is the case the it may so happen that the students who scored low in english may not have prepared for the test. Similarly he may not have studied for the logic test as well. So we can have multiple scenario.

Choice D on the other hand provides us with correct assumption that if negated destroy the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
generis

Hi, Can you please help me with the reasoning for not choosing option B.

IMO, If English and logic are fundamentally similar, then this relation between the two subjects will hold true.

If the person does not score well in English, this shows that the person is not fundamentally sound. Therefore, he cannot score well in logic.

Please bridge the gap in my understanding!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts