Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [17]
Given Kudos: 510
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Of the 70 percent of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile [#permalink]
I also could not understand the reasoning.

A. Consumers must pay a fee to obtain the Federal booklet by mail. (I assume in the end consumers pay less for insurance costs because of the booklet. But when the price of the booklet added, it is not less. I think the situation as; there are two options; -1st policy- no booklet + more insurance cost -2nd policy-with booklet + less insurance cost. Having "less insurance" does not directly lead to 1st policy price = 2nd policy price. Thus, A must be correct. What do you think?
B. The booklet offers ideas for reducing insurance costs that are unavailable elsewhere (strengthen the argument even)
C. Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet. (the argument talks about paying less because of knowing more about "automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs." The booklet is not about picking the good policy. The ones who get the booklet can get the good policy and still can pay "less" because of their knowledge about " automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs." In the end, I was between A and C and, eliminated C as an irrelevant choice
D. Of the 30 percent of Americans who do not have automobile insurance, 10 percents are uninsured drivers and 20 percent do not drive. irrelevant
E. Knowledge of automobile safety techniques tends to reduce a driver's monthly insurance payment. strengthen
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Of the 70 percent of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
chismooo wrote:
I also could not understand the reasoning.

A. Consumers must pay a fee to obtain the Federal booklet by mail. (I assume in the end consumers pay less for insurance costs because of the booklet. But when the price of the booklet added, it is not less. I think the situation as; there are two options; -1st policy- no booklet + more insurance cost -2nd policy-with booklet + less insurance cost. Having "less insurance" does not directly lead to 1st policy price = 2nd policy price. Thus, A must be correct. What do you think?
B. The booklet offers ideas for reducing insurance costs that are unavailable elsewhere (strengthen the argument even)
C. Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet. (the argument talks about paying less because of knowing more about "automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs." The booklet is not about picking the good policy. The ones who get the booklet can get the good policy and still can pay "less" because of their knowledge about " automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs." In the end, I was between A and C and, eliminated C as an irrelevant choice
D. Of the 30 percent of Americans who do not have automobile insurance, 10 percents are uninsured drivers and 20 percent do not drive. irrelevant
E. Knowledge of automobile safety techniques tends to reduce a driver's monthly insurance payment. strengthen

Your reasoning for C is valid. The option would be better if "good" were replaced by "cheap".

However your reasoning for A is impractical. Booklet cost is in no way comparable to insurance costs (or even the difference between costly and cheap insurance costs) - it is a negligible fraction of the insurance cost.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
[quote="ruchi857"]Of the 70 percent of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile insurance last year, only 10% requested and read a booklet provided by the Federal Government on automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs. Therefore, at least 90 percent of Americans who bought auto insurance this year are paying too much for their policy.

The reasoning behind this conclusion is called into question by which of the following?

A. Consumers must pay a fee to obtain the Federal booklet by mail.
B. The booklet offers ideas for reducing insurance costs that are unavailable elsewhere
C. Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet.
D. Of the 30 percent of Americans who do not have automobile insurance, 10 percent are uninsured drivers and 20 percent do not drive.
E. Knowledge of automobile safety techniques tends to reduce a driver's monthly insurance payment.

The conclusion is "at least 90 percent of Americans who bought auto insurance this year are paying too much for their policy."
this means some people who bought auto insurance are not paying too much

How can C weaken the conclusion?
Experts please help :cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
HarpreetSinghBajwa wrote:

The conclusion is "at least 90 percent of Americans who bought auto insurance this year are paying too much for their policy."

Please note that the argument makes a scope shift from "who applied and reapplied" to "who bought". So, what if the people "who applied" have just applied and didn't bought, or may be that "applying" is just a part of government rules, and so on. So there is a leap...., and that the assumption is -

Few people who applied or reapplied are able to choose/buy a good policy with the aid of the booklet

Since, "few" and "some" technically is something "more than 1" in a sample space, we can say that C just confirms the opposite of our assumptions that - Some consumers [= people who bought] are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet.

Cheers !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
MorningRunner wrote:
People can find good policy doesn't mean those policies are of lower cost!

C is misleading..
How can C be answer?

Posted from my mobile device

One of the things that has helped me the most when it comes to critical reasoning questions is accepting the fact that the right answer may not be the perfect answer. Logically, you are right in stating that the argument put forth in option C is not the most sound and practically, may not result in a lower premium. However, look at the other options - all of them make no sense in terms of weakening the conclusion reached in the statement. Hence, we have to go with C because it's the best available choice out of the five options available to us. It's not perfect, but it's the least bad option we've got.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
HarpreetSinghBajwa wrote:
ruchi857 wrote:
Of the 70 percent of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile insurance last year, only 10% requested and read a booklet provided by the Federal Government on automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs. Therefore, at least 90 percent of Americans who bought auto insurance this year are paying too much for their policy.

The reasoning behind this conclusion is called into question by which of the following?

B. The booklet offers ideas for reducing insurance costs that are unavailable elsewhere
C. Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet.
D. Of the 30 percent of Americans who do not have automobile insurance, 10 percent are uninsured drivers and 20 percent do not drive.
E. Knowledge of automobile safety techniques tends to reduce a driver's monthly insurance payment.

Hello Harpeet,

Not an expert but this is what I understand.

The statement says 70 percent of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile insurance last year, only 10% requested and read a booklet provided by the Federal Government on automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs
. Here the author fails to understand that people who did not request for the booklet just don't know about " automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs" But what if they already knew? and they didn't buy the booklet because they knew all the safety and strategies... This what the option C says " Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
ruchi857 wrote:
Of the 70 percent of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile insurance last year, only 10% requested and read a booklet provided by the Federal Government on automobile safety and strategies for reducing insurance costs. Therefore, at least 90 percent of Americans who bought auto insurance this year are paying too much for their policy.

[/url]

I used the following reasoning. Please do correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

The premise says that of all the people buying the insurance (70% Americans), only 10% ask for the booklet. This booklet helps people to choose a cheaper insurance policy. The conclusion states that the rest - 90% of people buying the policy are paying more.

You can see the flaw in the reasoning here. The author presents no evidence that the people asking for the booklet are actually paying less for the policy. It could be that others are already aware of the information presented in the booklet and are therefore able to choose an inexpensive policy!

Option A: Consumers must pay a fee to obtain the Federal booklet by mail.
It does not talk about the cost of the policy but about the cost of the booklet. [Not our answer!]

Option B: The booklet offers ideas for reducing insurance costs that are unavailable elsewhere
This would actually strengthen the argument. [Not our answer!]

Option C: Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet.
This states the flaw that we talked about. [Could be our answer!]

Option D: Of the 30 percent of Americans who do not have automobile insurance, 10 percent are uninsured drivers and 20 percent do not drive.
This talks about the 30% of people who DO NOT have the insurance. Whereas our conclusion talks about the people who have the insurance. This information is irrelevant. [Not our answer!]

Option E: Knowledge of automobile safety techniques tends to reduce a driver's monthly insurance payment.
This draws on something already mentioned in the premise. I anything, this would strengthen the conclusion. [Not our answer!]

Option C is the best choice and our answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
First of all, the conclusion of this short passage is that the booklet provides strategies to reduce the insurance costs and those who do not buy it are paying too much.
Quote:
Questions the conclusion but not so strongly; Booklet's fee can't be as high as the insurance fees.
Quote:
strengthens the conclusion.
Quote:
Correctly questions the conclusion, because ideas are not just limited to booklets, people have the knowledge to buy good policies from other means also.
Quote:
doesn't affect the conclusion.
Quote:
doesn't affect the conclusion.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
ruchi857 wrote:

First: Pre-thinking the answer, following e-gmat approach : 1) Any evidence of more than 10% of Americans who ain't paying too much for the policy.

I chose 'D'. Though later I understood why C is the answer. But my question is 'how to pre-think' so as I can move the context for ' paying less or more for the policy' to ' a good policy' as per C. Infact none of the answers address the context of the passage so as to be a good weaken answer.

Look forward for some discussion on this! Many thanks chetan2u

Hi Bunuel nightblade354

Please put the highlighted part into Spoiler.

Thanks!
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat1393 wrote:
ruchi857 wrote:

First: Pre-thinking the answer, following e-gmat approach : 1) Any evidence of more than 10% of Americans who ain't paying too much for the policy.

I chose 'D'. Though later I understood why C is the answer. But my question is 'how to pre-think' so as I can move the context for ' paying less or more for the policy' to ' a good policy' as per C. Infact none of the answers address the context of the passage so as to be a good weaken answer.

Look forward for some discussion on this! Many thanks chetan2u

Hi Bunuel nightblade354

Please put the highlighted part into Spoiler.

Thanks!

All set. Good job.

-- Mod Nightblade
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
c is not the best answer because 'Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet'
what about the rest customers is that they are not able to choose good policy then it is strengthen the argument.

It is correct when it is most customers.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Of the 70 percent of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile [#permalink]
X = # of Americans who applied or reapplied for automobile insurance

According to the passage, out of 70% of X, only 10% read some book (last year)

Conclusion: This year, 90% of Americans who bought auto insurance this year are paying too much for their policy.

The conclusion is directing support towards the usage of the book. To weaken this conclusion, we need to show that the same effect (that the book is supposed to exhibit) can be obtained without needing the book in the first place.

This is what we have in (C)

C. Some consumers are able to choose a good policy without the aid of the booklet. - Here, we have a statement that proves what we are seeking to establish. Hence, (C) is the right answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts