Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Happy Holidays from UCLA Anderson! [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Happy Holidays from UCLA Anderson!

It's hard to believe 2017 is drawing to a close already! Thank you all for getting to know us this year, for sharing your stories and Anderson spirit in person and in your applications.

Please note that the MBA Admissions and Financial Aid Office will be closed during the University closure from December 23, 2017 - January 1, 2018. During this time, we will check emails sent to the MBA Admissions inbox (mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu) but responses may be a little delayed. Regular business hours will resume on Tuesday, January 2.

Coffee chats with current Anderson students are also still occurring through the first week of January all over the world -- click here for more information and to RSVP.

We wish you all a wonderful holiday season and all the best for a prosperous 2018!

-- MBA Admissions & Financial Aid team

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Top 10 FAQs from Applicants [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Top 10 FAQs from Applicants
his post is part of our "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

APPLICATION INSIDER TOPIC:

TOP 10 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

We have compiled the top Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) we have received from prospective applicants via e-mail, phone calls, and in person. We hope the tips below help you on your MBA information gathering and your application journey.

Q1. What events are available at UCLA Anderson for prospective students interested in learning more about the MBA program and where can I sign up for them?

A1. UCLA Anderson offers group information sessions, school tours, class visits, coffee chats, lunch chats, and webinars as opportunities for prospective students to get to know us. To sign up, you can visit our Events calendar to register for a day that works for your schedule. Please note that some of these events have capacity limits. More events will be added at the start of the new year.

Q2. How do I get in touch with current students and alumni?

A2. You can reach out to our current students through our Connect with a Student interest form. Here, you can select your specific career interests and get linked up to current students pursuing similar career goals.

Q3. Do I need to submit my official transcripts and/or official test (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS) scores when I apply to UCLA Anderson?

A3. No, you do not need to submit your official transcript documents or official test scores when applying. With your application you upload scanned unofficial copies of your transcripts and documents, and self-reported test scores are perfectly sufficient for the admissions committee to evaluate. If invited for an interview, you will be asked to provide hard copies of your transcripts and official test scores (more specific details will be provided).

Q4. Do I need to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

A4. We require all international applicants to provide TOEFL or IELTS scores (with exception of those educated in Australia, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom), regardless of the language of instruction during your undergraduate studies. This is a requirement from UCLA Graduate Division, which is the authority that oversees all graduate admissions.

Q5. Do you offer a GMAT/GRE waiver?

A5. We do not offer GMAT/GRE waivers for any reason. All applicants must submit either GMAT or GRE scores and we recommend you take the test you feel most comfortable with, as there is currently no preference for either exam in the admissions review process.

Q6. Can I submit updates to my application after I have submitted it?

A6. Unfortunately, we do not accept updates to the application once it has been submitted. If you do wish to add information after your application has been submitted, then your application will be moved to a later round for consideration.

Q7. Do you accept transfer students or credits from other MBA programs?

A7. No, we do not accept transfer students or credits from other MBA programs. We believe that part of the Anderson experience is developing relationships with classmates during the two years of attendance in the MBA program.  You may still apply, but you would be required to begin as a first-year student. It may be possible to test out of some core courses to be replaced by MBA elective courses of your choice.

Q8. Is there a minimum GMAT/GRE score or GPA required for admission?

A8. No. Many factors are considered in the decision process. Admissions decisions are not made solely on the basis of grades and test scores. However, you may want to note our average and range of scores in our most recent class profile and ensure that your GMAT or GRE score (including Writing Assessment) represents your ability. If your score doesn't reflect your ability, we recommend that you consider retaking the test.

Q9. If I earned a three-year undergraduate degree, am I still eligible to apply?

A9. Yes, you are still welcome to apply. We do admit students with 3-year degrees but the rest of your application needs to be exceptionally strong to compete against other applicants. If you would like your academic records to equate to a 4-year degree, you would need to either complete a Master’s degree or other Post Graduate Degree/Diploma.

Q10. Can I begin the MBA program in the winter or spring?

A10. Unfortunately, we do not offer spring or winter admission.  All students in the Full-Time MBA program start at the same time (end of summer).

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Round 2 Deadline Tomorrow! [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Round 2 Deadline Tomorrow!
This post is part of our "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

ROUND 2 DEADLINE

It's hard to believe that 2018 is already here and that our Round 2 deadline is only a day away -- January 5, 2018 at midnight (Los Angeles time)! For us on the Admissions Committee, we're gearing up for the busiest time of the admissions cycle, as this is typically the round in which we receive the greatest number of applications.  We will definitely keep everyone in the loop with any admissions updates on this blog and on our social media accounts (Instagramand Twitter), so keep checking in!

Not sure if you should apply in Round 2 or wait? For those who are not ready to submit by the Round 2 deadline, our Round 3 deadline is April 12, 2018 so you have a few more months to work on your application. Here's some more information about the pros and cons of applying in each round.

If you are able to visit us on campus, we highly encourage joining us for a Campus Experience program that includes class visits, campus tours, and more.  Our programming for Winter quarter will begin on Tuesday, January 9th and registration is now open -- click here to learn more and RSVP (spots are limited!).  Additional campus experience spots will be added over the next few weeks so keep checking back.

As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at [email=%20mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu]mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu[/email] or call our office at (310) 825-6944

---
Stay in Touch:
 Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Interview Tips [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Interview Tips
This blog post is part of our "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

INTERVIEW TIPS

The first step to ensuring that you are prepared for your MBA interview is to understand the interview process for the school that you are applying to. For instance, our interviews are by-invitation-only interviews, which means that we first evaluate your application before deciding whether or not to invite you to interview, so make sure that you pique our interest in your application. As for the actual interviews, they are about thirty-minute, blind interviews, that are mostly conducted by our second year full-time MBA students. If invited to interview, you will be given the option of either coming to campus for an in-person interview or scheduling a Skype interview. Both options carry equal weight and there is no advantage or preference for either.

Here are a few more tips to help you with your interview:

• Be professional. Treat the interview as you would an employment interview. Be on time, bring an updated copy of your resume with you, and dress professionally. 
  • Remember that the interview is not one-sided, it is meant to be a conversation. Be prepared to share about yourself, engage in the conversation, and ask thoughtful questions. 
  • Be clear about why you are pursuing an MBA, what your goals are, and why UCLA Anderson is a good choice for you. Understand how your experience to date can help support your goals and how the MBA specifically can help you fill any gaps or help you develop further. You should also be prepared to speak to how you can contribute to our community. 
  • Be yourself and enjoy the conversation. The interview is an opportunity for you to showcase your personality, enhance your candidacy, and learn more about UCLA Anderson. 
For any additional information on the admissions interview or the admissions process in general, I encourage you to review our Requirements and FAQ webpages.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
From The Dean's Desk: Round 2 Decisions Released Today [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: From The Dean's Desk: Round 2 Decisions Released Today
This post is part of our “From the Dean’s Desk” series, where we hear directly from our UCLA Anderson leaders across the school.

The remaining decisions to our full-time MBA Round 2 applicants were released just after midnight today. All of our Admissions Officers really enjoyed calling and speaking with each admit to welcome them to join the UCLA Anderson Class of 2020!

All Round 2 applicants received an email to check their Status Page for their decision letter.  If you applied but did not see the notification email, please check your spam folder, or just go directly to your Status Page to view your admissions decision. Any Round 1 applicants who were placed on the waitlist also received an email with an update on their application status.

We are already receiving Round 3 applications  -- the last round of this application season -- so we look forward to seeing many more excellent candidates by the Round 3 submission deadline of April 12, 2018.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete our application for Round 2, good luck to those working on applications for Round 3, and congratulations to all of our new admits!

Cheers!

Alex

-- Alex Lawrence

Assistant Dean and Director - MBA Admissions and Financial Aid

---
Stay in Touch:
 Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Campus Experience Programming: Spring [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Campus Experience Programming: Spring

We invite you to preview the UCLA Anderson experience by participating in our MBA Campus Experience program during Spring Quarter -- programming begins the first week of April and will end the first week of June. We strongly recommend you sign up if you are able, as this will be your last opportunity until Fall Quarter begins in October (this is especially important for those considering applying Round 1 of our next application cycle!)

Our Campus Experience offerings may include General Information Session (GIS) presentations, school tours, class visits, coffee chats, and lunches. These events are great ways to learn more about the MBA program, our culture and individual experiences through the recruiting process and club involvement.

• General Information Session (GIS) Presentation
    Learn about what sets us apart as a leading MBA program, pick up tips on how to successfully navigate the admissions process and get answers to your questions. Sessions are held generally on Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:00 PM and are hosted by a second-year student ambassador or an admissions officer.

• School Tour
    Stroll through our beautiful campus and surrounding grounds with a student ambassador tour guide to see how our students make the most of our world class facilities. Tours are offered generally on Mondays and Wednesdays during the academic year at 4:00 PM.

• Class Visit
    Join our students in an actual full-time MBA class and experience the collaborative environment among our students and faculty. Classes are generally held Monday through Thursday during the academic year.

• Coffee and Lunch Chats
    Learn first-hand from a current student all about our culture and opportunities at UCLA Anderson. Grab your own favorite beverage or food and join the conversation. Student coffee and lunch chats are offered at varying times Monday through Thursday.
If you can’t join us in person on-campus, you can still connect with us online at an General Information Session Webinar hosted by a student ambassador or admissions officer on most Thursdays from 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM and/or watch one our featured students on a Liveguide webinar session (check out the archives!) as they share highlights of their personal MBA journeys.

-- Ilana Van Allen '13, Associate Director of MBA Admissions

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Meet UCLA Anderson Around The World: July 2018 [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Meet UCLA Anderson Around The World: July 2018

The UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Team is on the road this Summer and Fall, hopefully in a city near you!  Take a look below at our July 2018 travel schedule* to find out where you can find us and make sure to visit us and say hi!

NORTH AMERICA

ASIA PACIFIC

LATIN AMERICA

• Stay tuned for events in this region in the upcoming months
EUROPE & MIDDLE EAST

Current MBA students are also hosting coffee chats throughout the summer around the world -- Sign up for an MBA Student Coffee Chat in a city near you!

As always, there are still other ways to connect with us! You are welcome to visit us on campus for our Group Information Sessions, School Tours, and MBA Class Visits (when classes are back in session in the Fall), join us online for our online webinars and MBA Liveguide SessionsWe are looking forward to meeting you soon on campus, on the road, and online!

*Dates and attendance subject to change. Check our UCLA Anderson Events webpage for the most up-to-date information

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Student Perspectives: The "Pay It Forward" Mentality at UCLA Anderson [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Student Perspectives: The "Pay It Forward" Mentality at UCLA Anderson
This post is a part of the Student Perspectives series - each post is written by a current UCLA Anderson student, and provides first-hand perspectives and experiences about being an MBA student at UCLA Anderson.

“Pay it forward…” I’m sure most have heard of the concept. Thanks to Wikipedia (my undergraduate professors would shudder to see me cite a Wiki), I found out that we can trace the concept at least back to Ben Franklin:

I do not pretend to give such a deed; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him.

There are many reasons why I chose to come to Anderson, but while I was working on my application, I don’t think that I fully grasped the importance of the pay it forward attitude here. Throughout this last year, I have been paid immeasurable “Sums” from my fellow Andersonians in the form of help and guidance. This mentality is visible all over, from the admissions process to Bridge Week to learning teams to the sheer number of Anderson alumni who have returned to jobs in the administration. However, the pay it forward vibe resonated strongest for me during my internship search. Three things greatly surpassed my expectations: Anderson Career Teams (ACT), how helpful my classmates were, and the Anderson network.

The helpfulness of the ACT program cannot be overstated. For those who are not familiar with ACT, each year around 70 second-year Anderson students volunteer to coach first-year students (grouped by industry and functional interest) on every aspect of the internship search. ACT groups meet for at least an hour each week, and coaches develop and follow a highly tailored job-search curriculum. Every year, second-year students who have successfully navigated the internship search add and subtract from the curriculum, making the program one of the most up-to-date and relevant career resources I have ever encountered. A quote from my first session of investment banking ACT captures this perfectly:

ACT coaches may not be experts in investment banking, but nobody knows how to get an investment banking internship better than us.

These weekly sessions are just a piece of the ACT program. Coaches also host etiquette sessions, review resumes and cover letters, and importantly, conduct mock interviews throughout the quarter.

Second-year ACT coaches were quite helpful during the internship search, but my fellow first-year classmates were equally as supportive. As I think back to when I was applying to business school, I remember conversations I had with students about the Anderson culture. These students shared with me how collaborative the internship-search process is at Anderson. Honestly, I was skeptical. However now that I am on the other side of the process, what those students told me couldn’t have been truer. A job-search should be competitive, yet at the drop of a hat my classmates were ready to practice “technicals” with me, to share tips and tricks, to make introductions – there is an almost unexplainable collective drive to make sure that everyone secures a great internship. And it worked; my classmates landed at bulge bracket and “elite boutique” investment banks in Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco.

This type of mentality – a collaborative approach to the job search – is not something that is born overnight. It is clear to me that this has been a key part of the Anderson culture for a long time. I know this, because I talked to A LOT of alumni during my internship search. From the Associate level (the typical post-MBA role) all the way to senior Managing Directors, people were always willing to give advice, to talk about industry trends, even to help me decide which Spring break trek I should join (I ended up in Japan with 170 classmates… highly recommend that trip). At nearly every firm that I went to during Days on the Job (DOJ) visits, Anderson alumni made up a large portion of the office, and the pay if forward mentality was a constant, regardless of their employer or the year they graduated.

Thinking back on the last year, it really is incredible how much help I got from Anderson people who were just paying it forward. I have no doubt though, that these people were only lending those good deeds, and I am excited to have many more opportunities to return the favor next year.

-- Brett Sanchez '19

Student Blogger:
Brett Sanchez '19

Hometown:
Park City, UT

Undergraduate Studies:
University of Utah

Pre-Anderson:
Goldman Sachs - Investment Banking

Post-MBA Goals:
Investment Banking

Activities@Anderson:
Investment Finance Association, Admissions Ambassador Corps

---
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Essay Questions for the 2018-2019 A [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Essay Questions for the 2018-2019 Application
This blog post is part of our "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

2018-2019 ESSAY QUESTIONS RELEASED
(FOR CLASS OF 2021)

When our new MBA application goes live on August 1st, you will find we have made some changes to our essay questions for this application year (for the full-time MBA Class of 2021) --  here are our newly released questions!

NEW APPLICANTS

- Essay Question: Describe your short-term and long-term career goals. How can the UCLA Anderson experience add value to your professional development? (500 words max)

- Short Answer Question: What are you passionate about and why?  (300 words max)

REAPPLICANTS

Reapplicants are those who submitted a completed MBA application within the previous two years (those who applied for the MBA program starting in 2016 or 2017). If you applied three years or more prior, then please answer the "New Applicant" questions.

- Reapplicant Essay Question: Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

OPTIONAL

As in previous years, we also have an optional question for those who need some additional space to explain extenuating circumstances that are not evident in the application. No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit a response to the optional question. The optional question can be answered by either new applicants or reapplicants.

- Optional Question: Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? (250 words maximum)

It's never too early to begin thinking about your answers to these questions.  As you begin to brainstorm and write your essays, remember that your responses are the primary way for you to share your perspectives and plans with the admissions committee. The best essays are introspective, genuine and succinct in directly answering our questions and responding to our topics -- craft an essay that truly represents YOU. Whatever your target goals may be, your essay is the platform to distinguish yourself with your passion, clarity, planning and eloquence. Refining your career plans once you get here is fine, but first your application should make a compelling case for how you would use the UCLA Anderson MBA to build on your transferable skills to reach a distinctive future.

View our Admissions Requirements webpage for more information about the essay requirements, as well as the other elements of our application.

Check back for more "Application Insider" blog posts that will cover information and tips on the many aspects of applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Meet UCLA Anderson Around The World: August 2018 [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Meet UCLA Anderson Around The World: August 2018

The UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Team is on the road this Summer and Fall, hopefully in a city near you!  Take a look below at our August 2018 travel schedule* to find out where you can find us and make sure to visit us and say hi!

NORTH AMERICA

ASIA PACIFIC

LATIN AMERICA

Current MBA students are also hosting coffee chats throughout the summer around the world -- Sign up for an MBA Student Coffee Chat in a city near you!

As always, there are still other ways to connect with us! You are welcome to visit us on campus for our Group Information Sessions, School Tours, and MBA Class Visits (when classes are back in session), join us online for our online webinars and MBA Liveguide SessionsWe are looking forward to meeting you soon on campus, on the road, and online!

*Dates and attendance subject to change. Check our UCLA Anderson Events webpage for the most up-to-date information

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
From the Dean’s Desk: Welcome to our International Students from the C [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: From the Dean’s Desk: Welcome to our International Students from the Class of 2020!
This post is part of our “From the Dean’s Desk” series, where we hear directly from our UCLA Anderson leaders across the school.

Hello Class of 2020 International Students and welcome to UCLA Anderson!

I’m very excited to meet many of you during International Welcome Week. We are all proud of what you have accomplished to date, joining the best graduate business school in the world. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know many of you at our recruiting sessions, the on-campus interview appointments, the admit events, and reading your applications. Your class is definitely a fabulous collection of diverse and talented individuals.... but in the end, we are all one Anderson family.

Over the course of the next several days and weeks, you will be provided with countless advice on how to make the most of your two-year experience at UCLA Anderson. The UCLA Anderson experience is truly unique. You may find yourself in situations that will challenge you in a variety of different ways. Fortunately, you have plenty of classmates, faculty, staff, and alumni who are there to help. I encourage you to embrace these opportunities to challenge yourself and find out how much you can truly accomplish. Some ideas to consider include exploring the city of Los Angeles and later travel around the United States, if possible.

And at the same time, don’t forget that your relationship with the MBA Admissions team has not ended. We are always looking for the best talent to join future classes at UCLA Anderson. There are a number of ways to stay involved – you can join the Admissions Ambassador Corps (AAC), volunteer at a recruiting event, or simply refer a friend of colleague who you believe would be an outstanding addition to the UCLA Anderson community.

-- Alex Lawrence

Assistant Dean and Director - MBA Admissions and Financial Aid
UCLA Anderson School of Management

Today’s post is from Alex Lawrence, Assistant Dean & Director of Admissions for the Full-Time MBA Program. Alex is a UCLA Anderson MBA alum (Class of 1999), spending his post-MBA career working in Management Consulting prior to returning to UCLA Anderson, where he served as the Executive Director of The Riordan Program prior to joining the Admissions team.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: MBA Application is LIVE (Class of 2 [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: MBA Application is LIVE (Class of 2021)

MBA APPLICATION IS NOW LIVE

The online application for our Full-Time UCLA Anderson MBA Class of 2021 is now live -- Click here to get started on your application

We strongly recommend that you read through our website, as it is filled with detailed information about our application requirements, round deadlines, decision release dates, and other very important information that will help you successfully navigate the entire application process.

For regular updates, helpful tips on the application process, program information, and student insights, we also recommend the following:

• Continue visiting this MBA Insider Blog for regularly-scheduled blog posts
  • Follow the UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Team on our social media accounts on Twitter (@uclamba) & Instagram (@uclaanderson)
  • Check out our Events Calendar for a list of events around the world where you can meet Admissions staff and student/alumni representatives.
  • If you're in the Los Angeles area, experience UCLA Anderson on-campus: attend an information session, take a school tour, observe a class, and schedule a coffee chat with current students (starts in Fall)
Below are the application deadlines by round for our Full-time MBA program:

• Round 1: October 2, 2018
  • Round 2: January 8, 2019
  • Round 3: April 16, 2019

Wishing you all good luck and please stay in touch with the MBA Admissions Office with any  you may have throughout the application process!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Which Round To Apply In? [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Which Round To Apply In?

WHICH ROUND TO APPLY IN

As business school applications went live across the country this past month, one of the first major strategy decisions you’re likely making as you begin to launch your business school career is when to apply. Like many other top MBA programs, UCLA Anderson offers multiple application rounds within each academic year. The various rounds will coincide with when your application is due and when you find out if you're admitted – generally speaking, the earlier you apply, the earlier the decision is made (though it's not always the case if you're waitlisted...more on that below).

The UCLA Anderson application is already liveand with our UCLA Anderson Round 1 deadline a little over a month away (October 2nd), it's time to start thinking about what round you're planning on submitting your application.

Although each of UCLA Anderson’s three rounds has their pros and cons, the best time to apply is when you feel your application is at its strongest. The biggest disservice you can do for yourself is submit a hastily put together application to meet an earlier round deadline. UCLA Anderson accepts top-quality applicants across all three rounds!

The pros and cons of each round below may help you determine which is the best round for you. With that said, please remember that the relative competitiveness of each round varies, as the applicant pool changes from year to year.

APPLYING ROUND 1

Pros:
All seats are available in Round 1 (for UCLA Anderson, that's about 360 in our full-time MBA class), so we have room to admit all of the qualified candidates that we come across. From a planning standpoint, applying in Round 1 is generally done for the program(s) that happen to be one of your top choices because due to the early deadline dates, you really only have time to focus heavily on less than a handful of applications. This round is ideal because if you get admitted to UCLA Anderson and we’re your first choice (which we hope we are!), you can hold off on other applications, but if you do not get admitted (which hopefully you will), you will have ample time to apply to other programs in later rounds. Further, in Round 1 we have the full amount of merit-based fellowship funds left to distribute.  Applying early can also show the Admissions Committee that you're serious about attending our business school.

Cons: Due to the earlier deadline dates, applicants may feel rushed to complete their application by a Round 1 deadline. This goes back to the point of usually only applying to a program or two that are your top choices because of the time needed to put into the application process. Without proper time management, individuals may not allot sufficient time to put together the highest quality application that they are capable of, and therefore may run the risk of hurting their chances for acceptance into our program.  All programs are different and will have different requirements for their application process. You will need to have sufficient time to reflect on your short- and long-term goals as well as answer essay prompts that need a great deal of attention. Rushing though essays will be very evident to an Admissions Committee. Further, if you have not given sufficient time for your recommenders to complete their letters of recommendation, the quality of those crucial elements of the application may also be compromised.  You also will have the least amount of time to complete your GMAT/GRE and TOEFL/IELTS exams, and without proper planning, will likely not have time to re-take the exams if you're not satisfied with your first score.

APPLYING ROUND 2

Pros: 
Round 2 is the most popular round for applicants here at UCLA Anderson because you have additional time to complete your application and write your essay; plus your recommenders also have more time to finish their recommendations. We only evaluate your top score so if you were not satisfied with your GMAT/GRE and/or TOEFL/IELTS score the first time around, you will likely have time to re-take the exams. One of the greatest advantages of applying in Round 2 is that you have more time to learn about our program by attending Admissions events. Perhaps you can even schedule a campus visit to meet with current students and observe a class! By having this time to get first-hand experience on our program, you may gain a better understanding of your own school preferences and MBA goals, all which will reflect in your application.

Cons: We receive the largest number of applications during Round 2, so competition is high (especially since we also have Round 1 waitlisted candidates still under consideration).  If you do not get accepted (which hopefully won't be the case!) you may not have sufficient time to apply to another program within the same academic year. 

APPLYING ROUND 3

Pros:
Perhaps the biggest benefit in applying in Round 3 is not just having the most time to put together the strongest application possible, but you also have additional time to enhance your application profile -- the additional time may allow you to get a promotion at work, take on a new project, and/or get involved in more leadership activities, for example. If you applied to other programs in earlier rounds, you will likely also be equipped with acceptance information from those schools. You will also have ample time to take (and potentially re-take) the GMAT/GRE and/or TOEFL/IELTS exams.

Cons: Unlike Round 2 where it’s competitive due to the sheer number of application received, this last round is the most competitive because our class size is capped. Fewer applicants are historically admitted in the last round simply due to the limited spots we have remaining to round out the in-coming class. While you can still be placed on our waitlist, there are still likely many other individuals from earlier Rounds on our waitlist that you'll be still compared against.

Now that you have a clearer picture of the advantages and disadvantages of each round, below is a reminder of our application deadlines by round for this academic year:

ROUND

APPLICATION
DEADLINE DAY

DECISION
RELEASE DAY

October 2, 2018
 December 18, 2018

January 8, 2019
 March 26, 2019

April 16, 2019
 May 21, 2019

Check back for more "Application Insider" blog posts that will cover information and tips on the many aspects of applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Meet UCLA Anderson Around The World: September 2018 [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Meet UCLA Anderson Around The World: September 2018

The UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Team is on the road this Summer and Fall, hopefully in a city near you!  Take a look below at our September 2018 travel schedule* to find out where you can find us and make sure to visit us and say hi!

NORTH AMERICA

ASIA PACIFIC

LATIN AMERICA

As always, there are still other ways to connect with us! You are welcome to visit us on campus for our Group Information Sessions, School Tours, and MBA Class Visits (when classes are back in session), join us online for our online webinars and MBA Liveguide SessionsWe are looking forward to meeting you soon on campus, on the road, and online!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Essay Section [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Essay Section

ESSAYS

Here are the UCLA Anderson full-time MBA essay requirements for the 2018-19 application cycle -- as a reminder, in 2018, we made a change to the Short Answer Question for new applicants:

NEW APPLICANTS

- Essay Question: Describe your short-term and long-term career goals. How can the UCLA Anderson experience add value to your professional development? (500 words max)

- Short Answer Question: What are you passionate about and why. (300 words max)

REAPPLICANTS

Reapplicants are those who submitted a completed MBA application within the previous two years (those who applied for the MBA program starting in 2017 or 2018). If you applied three years or more prior, then please answer the "New Applicant" questions.

- Reapplicant Essay Question: Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

OPTIONAL

As in previous years, we also have an optional question for those who need some additional space to explain extenuating circumstances that are not evident in the application. No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit a response to the optional question. The optional question can be answered by either new applicants or reapplicants.

- Optional Question: Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? Please use your best judgment. No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit a response to the Optional Question. (250 words maximum)

A Plan of Approach for the Essay Question
The essay gives you the opportunity to clearly articulate your career ambitions, highlight any past accomplishments that have readied you to this end, as well as touch on the various UCLA Anderson resources that will ultimately help you achieve your goals. You are presenting a case for why an MBA is imperative at this point in your career and, moreover, why an Anderson MBA, in particular, is right for you.

This is NOT a trick-question. In as clear and simple terms as possible, you can start by stating your short-term and long-term career goals. Particularly for the short-term goal, be sure to include both functional- and industry-interest and consider stating a few examples of companies you’d like to work for (if relevant).

If, in your evaluation, you are making a large career leap or aiming for niche and/or highly competitive roles, consider also speaking to a Plan B that is aligned with your Plan A career ambition. We, the admissions committee, like to see that you have an open-mind, that you can be flexible, and that you have a realistic understanding of where you currently stand and where you’d like to go.

Next, be specific when recounting career achievements and other accomplishments in extracurricular, volunteer, or academic settings — and of course, make sure they are relevant to your goals. Quantify the impact you have made, detail the skill you’ve developed, and connect the dots between how these values and experiences relate to what you hope to accomplish post-MBA. The operative word here is transferable skills. Again, even if you are making a large career leap, what foundation have you built already? What assets would future recruiters find attractive (in addition to your prospective MBA)?

Finally, this essay requires that you do homework on yourself (see above), as well as homework on UCLA Anderson, as a key component of the question is how the Anderson MBA will be a value-add in your career trajectory. In order to demonstrate that you have done your due diligence and that you have a genuine interest in attending Anderson, you must be able to speak to specific, relevant examples of “proper nouns” (things like courses, professors, clubs, conferences, specific programming, career and academic resources, etc.). Additionally, you should consider where you can potentially lead on our campus, as one of the hallmarks of Anderson is our student-led culture. (You can connect with our students and check out our Club Webpages for ideas.)

Strategies for Tackling the Short Answer Question
As mentioned, this is a new question this year. We are seeking to understand who are you on a deeper, more personal level. In fact, if the first essay question can be deemed the “professional” question in a word, this would be the “personal” question.

What gets you up and out of bed every morning? What inspires you to do what you do each day? When you think about what you are passionate about, there may actually be quite a natural link to what your career ambitions are. Your current career path and future career goals are the things you do/want to do (the “WHAT”) and your passion is the reason(s) you are motivated to do those things (the “WHY”).

If this career-purpose/personal-passion dichotomy doesn’t quite resonate with you, perhaps you can think about what your core values are. Are traits like curiosity, creativity, grit, compassion, or the like important to you? Is there a common theme in or a pattern to the major experiences you’ve had in life? Do you subscribe to a particular philosophy, way-of-thinking, or life-approach? Are you hardcore into a sport, art-form, hobby, craft, or activity?

Whatever the case may be, it is imperative to relate the passion back to you, and explain how it reveals something meaningful and insightful about who you are as an individual. Why is this passion critical to who you are and understanding you? Provide concrete examples, be genuine, and be clear.

The Purpose of the Optional Essay
This essay is truly optional and should only be used to describe any extenuating circumstances in your application or profile. Examples of such may be an extended gap in the resume, poor grades, a personal matter or family situation, and the like. 

Please use your best judgment and discretion, and understand that no preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit a response to this question.

Quick Tips on the Reapplication Essay
First and foremost, make sure you are highlighting what you have done since your last application to enhance your candidacy. List the specific action items and steps you took, as well as share any new achievements in and outside of work.

Second, make sure you are still clearly articulating your short-term and long-term goals! We want to understand if your goals remain the same, or if they have changed in any way (and if so, why).

Third, simply understand that, in most cases, the entire application does not need to be revamped or revolutionized. There were likely some strengths to your application the first time you applied, so don’t be concerned that not every single part of your reapplication is different from the first. (Continue to include your sustained strengths, and highlight new and improved differences.)

Parting Words (Read Before You Hit Submit!)
Have at least two people review your work. Ask someone who knows you well do the first read to ensure that your essays faithfully represent you, your values, and your goals. Ask someone you doesn’t know you very well do a second read to give you an objective perspective of how you may come across to the admissions committee. Last but not least, make sure your essays are clear, concise, and free of any spelling and/or grammatical errors.

Know that we understand that our MBA program may expose you to other professional opportunities that may, in turn, change your goals. Still, for the purpose of the essay, we need to know that you can set a goal, research the paths to get there, and develop a well-articulated plan on how you will leverage and grow your skills with an MBA from UCLA Anderson.

Good luck!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Test Scores [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Test Scores

TEST SCORES (GMAT & GRE / TOEFL & IELTS)

When applying to a competitive business program such as UCLA Anderson, there’s always that potentially dreaded aspect of having to take the often required standardized tests (GMAT or GRE). However, as more business schools accept either the GMAT or GRE, you now have options to prepare and take the test that you will not only do the best in, but feel the most comfortable with.

Before you even decide which test to take, make sure you research the schools you will eventually want to apply to in order to see if there’s a required or preferred test. Here at UCLA Anderson, applicants have the option to submit the GMAT or GRE with their application. Both exams are evaluated equally in the admissions process, so we encourage potential candidates to submit the test they feel most comfortable with. To help you make this decision, US News and World Report has a good article to reference on the key differences between the two tests.

Regardless of which test to take, we recommend that you take sufficient time to prepare for the test. Test preparation can be a full-time job in itself, so it's likely that the best way to prepare is to prepare for the one that you achieve the best result in. The GMAT and the GRE generally test the same factors, but as referenced earlier, each has their own variations of questions. Take a practice GMAT and practice GRE exam to see which one you are more comfortable with. Once you decide, there are many forms of test preparation including prep classes, online practice exams, test books, and one-on-one tutoring. Given your learning style, you will want to select a method that works best for you -- no one method is right for everyone! Each exam assesses your verbal, quantitative, analytical writing and integrated reasoning ability. It is important to dedicate review sessions to each component of the test as the admissions team will evaluate your performance in each area.

Your results on the test is just one piece of information that determines your admissions decision because our admission process is holistic. Test scores are one way we evaluate your academic ability in addition to your undergraduate performance to determine your ability to handle the rigors of the Anderson MBA program. UCLA Anderson does not have a minimum score that you must reach. Our class profile will show you the average scores and the ranges that our most recent in-coming class is coming in with. Although there is no minimum score an applicant must achieve, doing well on the GMAT or GRE is also one of the ways to strengthen your academic profile, and to potentially help to combat a lower GPA or lack of quantitative courses during your undergraduate years. Remember, aside from the test, other components of your application are also taken into consideration and our review is holistic, so if your performance on the test is not as high as you might like, you can demonstrate strengths in other areas (e.g., work experience, essay, undergraduate transcripts, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, etc.).

In terms of when you should take the tests, we recommend you should give yourself at least six months of preparation time before taking it and then guide the test date by the round deadline date in which you intend to apply. Keep in mind that it’ll usually take up to 2 weeks for the school to get your results, as well. Test scores are valid for five years, so if you are currently in an undergraduate or graduate program, it might be in your best interest to take the test now since you are already in an academic mode and mindset. At UCLA Anderson, we only evaluate your highest overall score, both the GMAT and GRE provide you with the option to select which test score you prefer to submit to the institution(s) to which you’re seeking admission. Regardless, we do not penalize applicants for taking an exam multiple times.

For any international applicants who completed their education outside of the United States, you will also be required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS exam with your application, unless your education was solely taught in English in an English-speaking country (please contact the MBA Admissions office to confirm whether or not you are required to take the TOEFL/IELTS). The purpose of this exam is to assess your English proficiency. Given the collaborative and interactive structure of the MBA program, we want to ensure that you will be able to contribute to classroom discussions from the very first day, and these exams help us evaluate this important fluency factor. You can learn more about the TOEFL/IELTS requirement on the UCLA Graduate Division webpage.

Hopefully these insights will help guide you as you prepare for GMAT, GRE, TOEFL and/or IELTS as a part of the application process. If you have any follow-up questions about our requirements or admission process, please see our admissions webpage, our FAQs, or email us directly at mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Work Experience [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Work Experience

WORK EXPERIENCE

If you are like most applicants, you have probably looked the class profile page of your target school and have noted that your actual years of work experience may differ from what’s on the class profile, or perhaps you have questions about how we evaluate your experience. If that is your case, this post is for you.

Here are the top eight work experience questions we get from applicants:

• Do admissions officers look at quantity or quality of work experience?
    We look at your overall career trajectory and the decisions you made along your career path. Promotions, title or employer changes and increases in responsibilities will display your growth within an organization or across multiple employers. Cross-functional experience is also very helpful as it shows you can work well with others and manage increasingly more complex projects. As you can see, it is more about the quality of your experience than the length of it.

• How do I communicate my work experience throughout the application process?
    Your essay will allow you to connect your past work experience and skills to your future short- and long- term goals but make sure your response is aligned with your essay prompt. Your resume will allow you to quantify your accomplishments and scope of responsibilities in the appropriate context for evaluation. And finally, the interview part of the process will let you connect all the pieces and add your own personality and voice to make your application unique and memorable.

• What if I have less or more years of work experience than your reported average?
    UCLA Anderson does not require work experience to apply. However, the vast majority of students have some level of full-time work experience prior to starting the program (See our class profile for details). The Admissions Committee cares more about what you have done during the time you have worked and the skills you may have acquired in the process. Your past successes are often strong clues about your future potential.

• When do I start counting my work years of work experience?
    For most people we consider your first full-time job post-college graduation as the start of your work experience and count it all the way to the time you will leave work to start the MBA. If you have worked during college or done an internship that you believe relevant to your MBA goals, you can always use our optional essay to expand on your explanation and share the details with committee.

• What if I have worked at a lot of companies. Is this going to be seen as a red flag?
    If you have changed jobs a few times you should discuss new responsibilities and leadership opportunities that you gained, especially in areas connected with your post-MBA goals. If you feel it necessary, you can explain why you switched jobs, and how these experiences led you to your career goals. If there is a rational reason for changing companies frequently and you clearly explain why, it will likely not be a red flag.

• How is non-traditional experience counted (e.g., Military service, self-employed/entrepreneur, lawyer, doctor)?
    UCLA Anderson values diverse perspectives in the classroom, and we welcome applicants from both traditional and non-traditional backgrounds. We recommend that you focus on what you have learned in your past experiences and the skills you’ve gained in your non-traditional experience, and how those may be transferable to allow you succeed in an MBA program and in your post-MBA career goals. Non-traditional students may have work experience prior to the start of their undergraduate career, and we will note this on an individual basis. Military experience is considered work experience in the perspective of the UCLA Anderson Admissions Committee, as you have grown significantly in leadership and decision-making.

• I don’t directly manage other people and/or projects. Is there something else I can do to show my leadership and management potential?
    We understand that not all individuals are given the opportunity by their employer to directly manage people or projects, regardless of their ability or desire to do so. Sometimes your leadership roles can be something that you have sought out on your own through volunteering roles inside or outside your organization, especially when your formal job does not provide with direct opportunities to do so. Make sure you talk about those aspects of your life that highlight your ability to work well with others, think big picture and use your analytical and planning skills.

[*] I don’t have any full-time work experience yet. Is there something I can do to strengthen my application?
Every year a few great applicants with little-to-no full-time work experience are admitted to the program. These individuals often bring stellar academics and leadership potential, and can often display their abilities through their own individual accomplishments, such as internships and participation with other organizations as well as very strong academic record of accomplishment.[/list]

We hope this helps you understand how your work experience will be evaluated during your application and how to bests use what you have to contribute to our program. If you have more questions about work experience, check out the Application Requirements section of our website or email us at mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu.

---

GMAT Club Bot
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Work Experience [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10