Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619244 [76]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [22]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1300 [7]
Given Kudos: 41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: If the probability of rain on any given day is 50%, what is the probab [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
If the probability of rain on any given day is 50%, what is the probability that it will rain on at least three days in a row during a five-day period?

A. 3/32
B. 1/4
C. 9/32
D. 5/16
E. 1/2

Important not to miss ' in a row'..
At least three days means three cases...
1) 3 days in a row..
So take these three days as ONE R and other two as N
So NNR..
You can place R in 3C1=3 ways

2) 4 days.....4 days in a row OR 3 days in a row and 4th day of rain separated by a non rainy day
So take these three days as ONE R and non-rainy day as N and 4th day as r
So rNR........ rNR, rRN, RNr,rRN
4 ways

3) 5 days in a row
All 5 are one so one way

Total- 3+4+1=8
All possibilities=2*2*2*2*2=32

Probability=8/32=1/4

gmatnovice1122, what is wrong with your way..
Firstly you are complicating a simple way..
We use complement when we want to ease our calculations as normal scenario will have more cases
If talking of complement..
At least three days in a row means MAX two days in a row..
1) two days..
When there are 4 days of rains....RRNRR
When there are three days....RNNRR, NRNRR, ....many ways
When there are 2 days....RRNNN, NRRNN..and so on
2) one day..
4days is not possible
3 days..RNRNR
2 days ...NNRNR, and so on
3) none of the day
NNNNN... One way

So as you see it is more complicated, stick to normal
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16845 [6]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: If the probability of rain on any given day is 50%, what is the probab [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Solution

Given:
    • Probability of rain on any given day is 50%

To find:
    • The probability that it will rain on at least three days in a row during a five-day period

Approach and Working:
Assume that R represents rain and N represents no rain
As probability of rain is 50%, each of R and N have individual probability ½.

Now, at least 3 rainy days in a row can happen when
    • Exact 3 rain and 2 no rain: RRRNN or NRRRN or NNRRR or RRRNR or RNRRR
    • Exact 4 rain and 1 no rain: RRRRN or NRRRR
    • Exact 5 rain: RRRRR

Hence, the probability = (5 + 2 + 1) x \((\frac{1}{2})^5\) = \(\frac{8}{32}\) = \(\frac{1}{4}\)

Hence, the correct answer is option B.

Answer: B

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
If the probability of rain on any given day is 50%, what is the probability that it will rain on at least three days in a row during a five-day period?

A. 3/32
B. 1/4
C. 9/32
D. 5/16
E. 1/2

Let R = rain and N = no rain. To have at least three days in a row during a five-day period, we could have:

RRRNN, NRRRN, NNRRR, RRRRN, NRRRR, RNRRR, RRRNR and RRRRR.

Notice that the probability of R is ½ and the probability of N is also ½. Thus, the probability of any of the scenarios above is ½ x ½ x ½ x ½ x ½ = (½)^5 = 1/32. Since we have a total of 6 scenarios, the overall probability is 8 x 1/32 = 1/4.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 3/32
B. 1/4
C. 9/32
D. 5/16
E. 1/2

1) 3 days in a row..
So NNR..

2) 4 days.....4 days in a row OR 3 days in a row and 4th day of rain separated by a non rainy day
4 ways

3) 5 days in a row
All 5 are one so one way

Total- 3+4+1=8

Probability=8/32=1/4

what is wrong with your way..
We use complement when we went to ease our calculations as normal scenario will have more cases
At least three days in a row means MAX two days in a row..(IS THE COMPLEMENT OF AT LEAST THREE DAYS IN A ROW = 1 - P(MAX TWO DAYS)???)
1) two days..
2) one day..
4days is not possible
3 days..RNRNR
3) none of the day
NNNNN... One way

chetan2u
GMATinsight
Thanks for your respond. I appreciate the feedback.
I was confused because when reviewing probabilities, you are thought that when you have the words "AT LEAST" to automatically use the complement. As a result, that is the method I followed.
Also, wouldn't the complement of P(Rain on AT LEAST three days in a row) be 1 - P(Rain on AT LEAST two or fewer days in a row. and NOT as you stated above..so it would be RRNNN,NRRNN, etc? Is my understanding of complements wrong?

In the past I solved a problem related to selecting cards out of a 52 card deck, that stated P (at least the third draw). The complement of this was used 1 - p(two or fewer draws).

Thanks again for helping clarify this.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatnovice1122 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 3/32
B. 1/4
C. 9/32
D. 5/16
E. 1/2

1) 3 days in a row..
So NNR..

4 ways

3) 5 days in a row
All 5 are one so one way

Total- 3+4+1=8

Probability=8/32=1/4

what is wrong with your way..
We use complement when we went to ease our calculations as normal scenario will have more cases
At least three days in a row means MAX two days in a row..(IS THE COMPLEMENT OF AT LEAST THREE DAYS IN A ROW = 1 - P(MAX TWO DAYS)???)
1) two days..
2) one day..
4days is not possible
3 days..RNRNR
3) none of the day
NNNNN... One way

chetan2u
GMATinsight
Thanks for your respond. I appreciate the feedback.
I was confused because when reviewing probabilities, you are thought that when you have the words "AT LEAST" to automatically use the complement. As a result, that is the method I followed.
Also, wouldn't the complement of P(Rain on AT LEAST three days in a row) be 1 - P(Rain on AT LEAST two or fewer days in a row. and NOT as you stated above..so it would be RRNNN,NRRNN, etc? Is my understanding of complements wrong?

In the past I solved a problem related to selecting cards out of a 52 card deck, that stated P (at least the third draw). The complement of this was used 1 - p(two or fewer draws).

Thanks again for helping clarify this.

Hi..

At least 3 days means on 3 days, 4 days and 5 days..
So complement will be 1-(no days, 1 days and 2 days)
The moment you do at least 2 days, it itself will be contain at least 3 days or at least 4 days..

So if you do 1-(atleast 2 days or few days) means 1-(probability of rain on 2 days, 3 days , 4 days and 5 days)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We're told that the probability of rain on any given day is 50%. We're asked for the probability that it will rain on AT LEAST three days in a ROW during a five-day period. This question can be approached in a number of different ways; you might find it easiest to do a little math and 'map out' the various possible ways to get at least 3 days of rain in a row.

Since there are two events (rain or no rain) that have an equal chance of occurring each day, with 5 days in a row, there are (2)(2)(2)(2)(2) = 32 possible outcomes for the 5 days. The number of outcomes that include AT LEAST 3 days of rain IN A ROW are....

Rain on ONLY 3 days in a row:
RRRNN
NRRRN
NNRRR

Rain on 4 of the days (with 3 or 4 days in a row):
RRRRN
RRRNR
RNRRR
NRRRR

Rain on all 5 of the days:
RRRRR

8 options out of 32 total = 8/32 = 1/4

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 02 Feb 2019, 14:59.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 11 Apr 2020, 15:01, edited 3 times in total.
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2209 [1]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Any suggestions on this one? [#permalink]
Kudos
P of raining atleast 3 days out of 5. R is probability it will rain and N is it won't rain
RRRNN or RRRRN or RRRRR
So you just have to add these probablities.
Probability that it will rain is 1/2. No rain is 1/2
(1/2)^5 + (1/2)^5 +(1/2)^5 =3/32

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear VeritasKarishma IanStewart EMPOWERgmatRichC chetan2u,

I have tried the complimentary case, i.e. LESS THAN 3 days in a row, and got 24 favorable outcomes as detailed below.

1. 2 days in a row
a) 4 days of rain: RRNRR -> 1 case
b) 3 days of rain: RRNRN RRNNR NRRNR RNRRN RNNRR NRNRR -> 6 cases
c) 2 days of rain: RRNNN NRRNN NNRRN NNNRR -> 4 cases (=4!/3!)

2. 1 day in a row
a) 3 days of rain: RNRNR -> 1 case
b) 2 days of rain: RNRNN RNNRN RNNNR NRNRN NRNNR NNRNR -> 6 cases (=5!/3!2! - 4!/3!)
c) 1 days of rain: RNNNN NRNNN NNRNN NNNRN NNNNR -> 5 cases (=5!/4!)

3. 0 day in a row
a) 0 day of rain: NNNNN -> 1 case

The total outcome is 32. Therefore, the probability for the complimentary case is 24/32.

The probability that we want is 1 - 24/32 = 8/32, which also arrives at the correct answer!

My question is whether this approach is also valid? Or it is a mere coincidence?

Is LESS THAN 3 days in a row the complimentary case for AT LEAST 3 days in a row?
I notice that the permutation works for some cases (as written in the parentheses) and does not for many others. Could you please explain why?

Please help! :please :please :please

Originally posted by kornn on 05 Jan 2020, 19:21.
Last edited by kornn on 05 Jan 2020, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi varotkorn,

When dealing with a Probability question, there are two outcomes that you can calculate: what you WANT to have happen or what you DON'T WANT to have happen. Those two fractions will sum to 1 (which is why you were able to calculate the correct answer by calculating the probability of NOT getting at least 3 days of rain in a row). Both methods are valid - and as a general rule, you should use whichever one is faster given the 'restrictions' in the prompt.

You made a reference to permutation calculations that did not "work" - can you give an example of a calculation that you tried that did not lead to the answer that you were expecting?

Rich
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
My question is whether this approach is also valid? Or it is a mere coincidence?

For most counting/probability questions, there's more than one way to solve. It's especially true in counting/probability that if you get the right answer, even using a method different from that in an 'official solution', your method is probably correct, because usually if you make a mistake, you either end up double-counting something or missing a case. I didn't check all of your work, but your method looks good to me.

In your post immediately above, where you're not getting the right answer, it looks like you're not excluding the cases where three R's occur in a row. As you're counting things, you're counting RR R N N as if it only has two Rs in a row, when it has three. You're also counting the words RR R N N and R RR N N as if they're different, but they're the same sequence. Instead you can count all the words you can make with R, R, R, N, N, which is 5! / (3!)(2!) = 10, then exclude the words with either no consecutive Rs (there's one of them, RNRNR) or with three consecutive Rs (there are three of those, RRRNN, NRRRN and NNRRR) to get 6.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear VeritasKarishma IanStewart EMPOWERgmatRichC chetan2u,

I have tried the complimentary case, i.e. LESS THAN 3 days in a row, and got 24 favorable outcomes as detailed below.

1. 2 days in a row
a) 4 days of rain: RRNRR -> 1 case
b) 3 days of rain: RRNRN RRNNR NRRNR RNRRN RNNRR NRNRR -> 6 cases
c) 2 days of rain: RRNNN NRRNN NNRRN NNNRR -> 4 cases (=4!/3!)

2. 1 day in a row
a) 3 days of rain: RNRNR -> 1 case
b) 2 days of rain: RNRNN RNNRN RNNNR NRNRN NRNNR NNRNR -> 6 cases (=5!/3!2! - 4!/3!)
c) 1 days of rain: RNNNN NRNNN NNRNN NNNRN NNNNR -> 5 cases (=5!/4!)

3. 0 day in a row
a) 0 day of rain: NNNNN -> 1 case

The total outcome is 32. Therefore, the probability for the complimentary case is 24/32.

The probability that we want is 1 - 24/32 = 8/32, which also arrives at the correct answer!

Is LESS THAN 3 days in a row the complimentary case for AT LEAST 3 days in a row?
I notice that the permutation works for some cases (as written in the parentheses) and does not for many others. Could you please explain why?

Please help! :please :please :please

Nothing wrong with the complimentary case and hence you got the correct answer too.
Though I wouldn't use this method because it is much easier to arrange fewer elements. When I glue together 3 Rs and must arrange them with 2 other elements, I just have to arrange 3 elements.
But when I glue together 2 Rs and arrange the other 3 elements, I need to worry about 4 elements now. Similarly, 4Rs glued together means I just have to think about the 5th but with 1R in a row I have to ensure that there could be multiple Rs but none together - a far more complicated scenario.
Notice that in the straight forward case, you calculate 8 cases whereas in this complimentary case, you calculated 24 cases.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [1]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

We're told that the probability of rain on any given day is 50%. We're asked for the probability that it will rain on AT LEAST three days in a ROW during a five-day period. This question can be approached in a number of different ways; you might find it easiest to do a little math and 'map out' the various possible ways to get at least 3 days of rain in a row.

Since there are two events (rain or no rain) that have an equal chance of occurring each day, with 5 days in a row, there are (2)(2)(2)(2)(2) = 32 possible outcomes for the 5 days. The number of outcomes that include AT LEAST 3 days of rain IN A ROW are....

3 days:
RRRNN
NRRRN
NNRRR

4 days:
RRRRN
RRRNR
RRNRR
RNRRR
NRRRR

5 days:
RRRRR

8 options out of 32 total = 8/32 = 1/4

Final Answer:

Rich

Hi rich, I tried your approach but aren't we getting 9 options in this? Am I missing something?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kritisood,

Thanks for pointing this out. I went back and wrote in some additional explanation. In the original post, the sub-list in which 4 of the 5 days were rain-days included one option (RRNRR) that was NOT 3 days (or more) of rain - but it was not included in the total.

Rich
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts