Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [8]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [2]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [1]
Send PM
Re: There are a great many symbiotic relationships in the marine [#permalink]
Kudos
3) How does the Enewetak atoll fit into the passage? Mentioned in ¶4, the author argues that it supports Darwin‘s theories about barrier reef formation. (C) matches the prediction exactly.

(A): Out of Scope. While it strengthens the claims of some scientists, it can‘t strengthen the claims scientists in general since there are competing theories.

(B): Out of Scope. As above.

(C): The correct answer

(D): Opposite. The author states explicitly that the evidence strengthens Darwin‘s theory.

(E): Incorrect, as described above
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [1]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
PeepalTree wrote:
There are a great many symbiotic relationships in the marine environment. A popular one, often noted for the striking beauty of the juxtaposition, is that of the sea anemone and the clown fish. The
anemone has poison tentacles which—when they contact passing fish— paralyze the fish and drag the prey in for a meal. The clown fish uses the anemone‘s tentacle "garden" as a safe haven while attracting prey for the anemone to capture, for it alone is immune to the sting of the anemone.

Another symbiotic relation that remains the subject of scientific puzzlement concerns the relationship between Scleractinia, the coral type 10 whose colonization produces reefs, and their symbiotic partners the zooxanthellae, the unicellular algae present in the corals‘ endodermic tissues. It is known that each symbiont plays an integral part in the formation of a reef‘s protective limestone foundation. The coral polyps secrete calceous exoskeletons which cement themselves into an 15 underlayer of rock, while the algae deposit still more calcium carbonate,which reacts with sea salt to create an even tougher limestone layer.

It is also known that, due to the algal photosynthesis, the reefenvironment is highly oxygen-saturated, while the similarly high amounts of carbon dioxide are carried off rapidly. All this accounts for the amazing 20 renewability of coral reefs despite the endless erosion caused by wave
activity. However, the precise manner in which one symbiont stimulates the secretion of calcium carbonate by the other remains unclear.

Scientists have also proposed various theories to explain thetransformation of "fringing reefs," those connected above sea level to land masses, into "barrier reefs" that are separated from shorelines by wide lagoons, and then into free-floating atolls. Though the theory postulated by Charles Darwin is considered at least partially correct, some scientists today argue that the creation of the reef forms has more to do with the rise of sea level that accompanied the end of the Ice Age. However, recent drillings at Enewetak atoll have uncovered a large underlay of volcanic rock, which suggests that Darwin‘s explanation may have been more valid after all.

Even the name given to the reefs is something of a misnomer. The Scleractinia themselves generally comprise no more than 10 percent of the biota of the average reef community: zooxanthellae can account for up to 90 percent of the reef mass, along with foraminifera, annelid worms, and assorted mollusks. Moreover, reefs can flourish only in shallow, highly saline waters above 70°F., because the algae require such circumstances; yet non-reef-building corals occur worldwide under various environmental conditions, from the Arctic to the Mediterranean, home of the red coral prized for jewellery. The most likely reason that the term "coral reefs" persists is that the brilliant variety of coral shapes and colours makes aesthetic considerations more vivid than biological ones.
1. According to the author, some scientists consider the term "coral reef" a misnomer because:

A. the beautiful shapes and colours of reefs are produced by the Scleractinia rather than the zooxanthellae.

B. the coral portion of a reef has little to do with the reef‘s survival.

C. "non-reef-building" corals are found throughout the world.

D. the majority of a reef‘s substance comprises zooxanthellae, foraminifera, annelid worms, and assorted molluscs while a small portion comprises the Scleractinia.

E. the reef does not have any coral whatsoever

2. Based on the passage, which of the following is probably an assumption of scientists studying coral reefs?

A. The theories of reef evolution through glacial melting and through volcanic subsidence are mutually exclusive.

B. The three main types of coral reefs did not develop independently of one another.

C. Zooxanthellae are always found in coral reefs.

D. Intense calcification single-handedly protects reefs from destruction by waves and other natural causes.

E. Coral reefs are always blue in colour

3. The passage mentions the recent drillings at the Enewetak atoll. This reference serves to:

A. stengthen the claims made by scientists today concerning reef transformation.

B. weaken the claims made by scientists today concerning reef transformation.

C. strengthen the claims made by Darwin concerning reef transformation.

D. weaken the claims made by Darwin concerning reef transformation.

E. has no impact on the claims made by Darwin concerning reef transformation.

hi PeepalTree workout,

Need your help on question -2.

I didn't get the assumptions the scientists must have made?

How to solve such questions?

I am sure as only 25% of the attempts are correct, it shows the question is tough!

Request your help on this please!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
Send PM
@honeey
q2 can be solved reading this
Scientists have also proposed various theories to explain thetransformation of "fringing reefs," those connected above sea level to land masses, into "barrier reefs" that are separated from shorelines by wide lagoons, and then into free-floating atolls.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
manjot123 wrote:
@honeey
Scientists have also proposed various theories to explain thetransformation of "fringing reefs," those connected above sea level to land masses, into "barrier reefs" that are separated from shorelines by wide lagoons, and then into free-floating atolls.

Hi,

My question is how did the scientist assume that the 3 types of main type of coral reef developed independently from each other.

Pls throw some light on this portion.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [2]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
honneeey wrote:
manjot123 wrote:
@honeey

Hi,

My question is how did the scientist assume that the 3 types of main type of coral reef developed independently from each other.

Pls throw some light on this portion.

Posted from my mobile device

honneeey
The answer choice says the 3 types of coral reef DID NOT develop independently. So i am not sure why do you think we should look at how scientist assume that the 3 types of main type of coral reef developed independently from each other.

as manjot123 explained -
Scientists have also proposed various theories to explain the transformation of
1) "fringing reefs,"
those connected above sea level to land masses, into
2) "barrier reefs"
that are separated from shorelines by wide lagoons, and then into
3) free-floating atolls

as the sentence uses word "Into" --> so scientists are assuming that 3 coral types are perhaps developed sequentially (from one to another) and did not develop independently of one another. let me know if you have different thoughts.

---
Please give kudos even if you disagree.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts