Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: LBS vs Yale (UK applicant) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
football123 wrote:
Yep, I do - R1 admits for both

Congratulations. I guess it is a good problem to have.

Tagging bb and billionaire for their inputs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks - I appreciate any input. I would also value input from European students/alumni at SOM, or others that have faced similar dilemmas (home country programme vs. programme overseas)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
football123 wrote:
Hi all,

I also have a London Business School vs Yale dilemma. By way of background, I'm from London and have lived here all my life. When I originally considered an MBA, I wanted to study in the US as I was after a new experience. LBS wasn't even on my radar. However, after attending information sessions and speaking with alums who had a great experience, I decided to apply. LBS also has a great brand and will naturally open doors.

I would like to return to London post-MBA. My concern with Yale is that SOM will not have much of a network in London and so whilst the two years will be a great experience, I won't have the post-MBA benefits. I'm not overly concerned about recruiting for London-based roles from SOM but LBS obviously has a huge advantage there. My issue with LBS is that I'm from London, and have lived here all my life so I may not get the novel experience that the MBA is so famous for.

Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on the above?

Hello football123

First of all congrats on admission to both really great schools :clap:

Based on your nick and info provided, should I guess you could be Chelsea fan or Arsenal fan ?

Maybe supporter of some other club from London ?

I would agree with your initial idea, to experience something new, different culture.

No need to explain to you what is LBS, in my book that is the best business school in London and overall in UK, but the same can be said for Yale in America.

It is Ivy league man :cool: the best of the best, most prestigious as it can be.

You will become Bones :death: like some US presidents :shh:

Once you are there, if you decide to go, you will change perspective, and I would not be so sure you will necessary want to come back to London after that experience.

It just may be you will want to stay and work in US, or go to some other, third place.

In your case, I would vote for Yale, although you are in good position, whatever you choose it will be fine.

Good Luck with your final decision ! :cool:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools: LBS '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
If you're thinking about it purely from a "network" in London perspective, LBS would be hard to beat. You could always study abroad while at LBS too. I suppose it would depend on what field you're looking to go into and whether there are enough Yalies in London to help out with recruiting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LBS vs Yale (UK applicant) [#permalink]
billionaire wrote:
football123 wrote:
Hi all,

I also have a London Business School vs Yale dilemma. By way of background, I'm from London and have lived here all my life. When I originally considered an MBA, I wanted to study in the US as I was after a new experience. LBS wasn't even on my radar. However, after attending information sessions and speaking with alums who had a great experience, I decided to apply. LBS also has a great brand and will naturally open doors.

I would like to return to London post-MBA. My concern with Yale is that SOM will not have much of a network in London and so whilst the two years will be a great experience, I won't have the post-MBA benefits. I'm not overly concerned about recruiting for London-based roles from SOM but LBS obviously has a huge advantage there. My issue with LBS is that I'm from London, and have lived here all my life so I may not get the novel experience that the MBA is so famous for.

Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on the above?

Hello football123

First of all congrats on admission to both really great schools :clap:

Based on your nick and info provided, should I guess you could be Chelsea fan or Arsenal fan ?

Maybe supporter of some other club from London ?

I would agree with your initial idea, to experience something new, different culture.

No need to explain to you what is LBS, in my book that is the best business school in London and overall in UK, but the same can be said for Yale in America.

It is Ivy league man :cool: the best of the best, most prestigious as it can be.

You will become Bones :death: like some US presidents :shh:

Once you are there, if you decide to go, you will change perspective, and I would not be so sure you will necessary want to come back to London after that experience.

It just may be you will want to stay and work in US, or go to some other, third place.

In your case, I would vote for Yale, although you are in good position, whatever you choose it will be fine.

Good Luck with your final decision ! :cool:

Thanks for the insight. Re football - I support Manchester United! As do a lot of other Londoners! And yes, the reputation of Yale (despite perhaps based on its undergrad) is right up there in terms of brand recognition. This is particularly valuable in places like Europe where the MBA league tables are rarely referenced in my opinion!

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by football123 on 11 Dec 2018, 01:44.
Last edited by football123 on 11 Dec 2018, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ArtichokePizza wrote:
If you're thinking about it purely from a "network" in London perspective, LBS would be hard to beat. You could always study abroad while at LBS too. I suppose it would depend on what field you're looking to go into and whether there are enough Yalies in London to help out with recruiting.

Agreed. The LBS network is uniquely powerful in London and Europe generally. I’m due to speak to a few London based Yale alums this week to get some insight into the network and potential limitations. The danger is always going in search for that new experience and then being left without much of a post-MBA network, which I’m sure is one of the big value propositions of an MBA!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wondering if bb has any thoughts?

Intern
Intern
football123 wrote:
ArtichokePizza wrote:

Agreed. The LBS network is uniquely powerful in London and Europe generally. I’m due to speak to a few London based Yale alums this week to get some insight into the network and potential limitations. The danger is always going in search for that new experience and then being left without much of a post-MBA network, which I’m sure is one of the big value propositions of an MBA!

Yep - I think it comes down to how risk averse you're feeling. If cost is a factor, I'd be concerned about taking on US school debt just to pay it off on a UK salary as well. I think you're doing the right thing by talking to alums. I'm sure the Yale brand halo would also be helpful anywhere in the world (even if SOM isn't as highly thought of as the wider university).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
I would also opt for Yale due to the school having such a global brand.

Furthermore, going to the US offers you a different perspective on things. :)
Even if you will return to London afterwards, it is not like the school is unknown over here in Europe.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. Yale is a great school but it is in New Haven, which is not the per se the most model city in the US so you are not heading to Palm Beach or Santa Barbara. The rule of thumb is that if you are planning to live in UK/London, you should go to school in the same country or continent at least ;-) - it is hard to recruit remotely and it takes a toll if you leave your existing friends/family/network only to come back 2 years later.

In your situation, the main reason to pick Yale would be to somehow leverage it for your work experience in the future in a specific way. Broad statements such as "I was in the US" and therefore I am better suited for this global VP of sales usually don't carry weight with recruiters unless it is in a specific role/situation. Believe me, I tried. Are there others? What do you see?

I know life is more complicated than what you can write in a 2 paragraph forum post but seems that's my eval of the 2 P's ;-)

Originally posted by bb on 11 Dec 2018, 13:49.
Last edited by bb on 11 Dec 2018, 13:50, edited 3 times in total.
tweak
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks to all for the input! I'm banking on the fact either one will be a great experience. Perhaps, it might be best to mull over this and speak with alums/students that have faced similar propositions
Intern
Intern
football123 wrote:
Thanks to all for the input! I'm banking on the fact either one will be a great experience. Perhaps, it might be best to mull over this and speak with alums/students that have faced similar propositions

Absolutely - either will be great experiences. Best of luck with your choice!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts