Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

LBS vs Oxford?

100% [3]
0% [0]
Tags:
Judgex   LBSx   Saidx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Oxford"20 (I)
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Re: LBS vs. Oxford (vs. Cambridge) [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the family situation makes your situation slightly more complex. I would reach out to the admissions team at LBS and ask if they can put you in touch with current students that are at LBS with a family.

In terms of pure reputation, LBS is the best business school in the UK. It also has a better representation globally than Oxford or Cambridge. So if you plan to go back home with the best brand under your belt, I would go for LBS. Whilst Oxford and Cambridge have stellar undergrad brands, in the business world, people know the different between Saïd/Judge and LBS.

In terms of experience - as BB mentioned, LBS has an experience most like the traditional US schools. But this is a personal choice as you’ll need to decide on whether the two year in London or one year in Ox/Cam works better for you. Note, I’ve heard that the 1 Year progs can be quite intense. The two year programme will give you flexibility in second year to explore recruitment options/travel etc. Re college experience - many of the international students head for less traditional/newer colleges so if you decide on Ox/Cam, don’t follow the MBA crowd when it comes to picking colleges. You’ll be able to build a more diverse network and experience traditional college life in some of the more traditional colleges.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Send PM
LBS vs. Oxford (vs. Cambridge) [#permalink]
tomodo wrote:
Hi,

Now pros & cons:
1. Ox vs Cam -
strongly prefer Ox, due to the Finance Lab and overll better admission experience with Oxford. After speaking to alumni from both schools, i concluded that I prefer Oxford, too. But Cambridge offers a significant amount of bursary, which will definitely help me avoid a student loan. If I do end up choosing Ox, I believe I can make a strong case to appeal for financial assistance.

Congratulations on your admits! I am in a similar situation. I was thankfully admitted to all three. Fell in love with each program honestly, but ultimately feel that LBS will be a better fit for me. Will write my own X versus Y post soon.

I think it depends on the overall experience you want. The college experience is really appealing to me and the lifestyle will be something you won't get anywhere else. It seems a once in a lifetime opportunity to have that traditional campus experience that your family will be able to enjoy.

I asked a question of all the students I met LBS & SBS: Networking in each. The SBS students mentioned they've had no difficulty with networking, visiting London regularly and that the name of the overall Oxford Uni has been enough of a draw when inviting guests for events and such. They did know how to hustle however. I met a couple who are aspiring for finance jobs and while it may not stack up to being in London, they do recruit fairly heavily in Oxford also. No wrong choices here

Additional question for you -
Scholarships and financial assistance is a significant factor for me as well (start-up, niche industry, non-profit background). The 2 more weeks we have to wait for scholarship notifications are going to keep me up at night!

I'm curious what your approach is on appealing for financial assistance? At SBS' interview day, one of the current students mentioned that if you mention to SBS that you were admitted to a comparable or greater school, they would knock off 10% and that can be helpful in negotiations. I've written an additional letter for consideration by the LBS scholarship committee. Any thoughts on what else can be done?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi! I spoke to a few Ox alumni and they said these things are negotiable with the school. You might not get a scholarship but if you can justify your need for one, they will award a bursary. How you go about negotiating for a bursary should be quite similar to any negotiation, but done respectfully and professionally. Do you have another offer from a better school? Scholarship/ bursary from similar or better school? Can you justify a gap in your funding that will prohibit you from paying up? Is obtaining a loan difficult? Write them all down in an email and send them. one alum said to me "if you never ask, then the answer is definitely no". The Oxford admissions team is really friendly (and efficient), you should speak to them.
Hope this helps.

Question to Naturalfibre - how was your experience with Cambridge? they've been relatively quiet (no welcome weekend and limited official communications from the admissions team). Personally my experience with Cambridge's admissions team has been horrible which led to rule Cambridge out first. The pre-interview experience was so appalling that I am considering writing a lengthy post here/ in the Gmatclub Cambridge forum to share with everyone out there...

By way of update to Atzukauskas, BB, and Football123 -
I have decided to go with LBS. spoke to more people from both schools and friends around me, the answer has been overwhelmingly in favour of LBS. I am also in the LBS and Oxford chatgroups, and I am already witnessing the gap in resources that the students have access to (and have shared in their respective chatgroups) between the schools. The LBS alumnus who interviewed me was really dedicated to the school and I took it as an indicator to how effective their alum network is. but thanks for your advice and the consideration points shared.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Send PM
LBS vs. Oxford (vs. Cambridge) [#permalink]
Kudos
I would say it really depends on what your priority is and what you want from the MBA.

If you want to break into competitive finance sector such as PE the consistent message I heard from alumni from all these schools was that your previous experience matters much more than the MBA brand.

Based on what I hear LBS has better resourced careers team and they have much greater alumni base. So if your number 1 priority is to find the MBA targeted roles (e.g. MBB), LBS may be a better option. But in Europe and some parts of the world LBS brand may not translate well (outside of the MBA circle)....while everyone will recognise Oxford/ Cambridge. MBA degree itself also does not carry much weight in some european countries so if you are looking for non-consulting senior roles, Oxford /Cambridge may be a better option given its better brand value. For example, I work for a large financial institution in London and most people have heard of the term MBA but don't know what it really is - it's just not a very popular degree in the UK.

Lifestyle and personal circumstance, including budget, would affect the decision as well. I wanted to use the MBA to advance my career but I also wanted to have a good year off from work and bring my family to a nice place without too much financial pressure so I preferred Oxford / Cambridge.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
0.02 although I think you had some good advice already!

LBS --> Top 2 outside US, stronger brand to employers who know, alumni base in the sectors you're interested, better career services for IB, although for PE/VC that won't be very helpful
SBS --> Big "bar" brand (saying you went to Oxford in a bar will impress people), a tier below LBS in terms of MBA program recognition, half the cost and time

My bias is that I would choose (and chose) the best brand possible for my post MBA job, as that might make it easier to be seen by recruiters. After your first 2 jobs, you career will be far more important than your MBA/uni brand. So possible pathways for me are:

IB: LBS > SBS
MBB and then IB/PE/VC: LBS > SBS
PE/VC: Don't think there is much difference as your experience will matter more, still I think LBS has a slight advantage in that it has more alumni in those industries to network with

Without looking at costs, LBS is a clear winner IMO. I don't know how strained you are financially, or if you have any appetite to be acquiring debt in a 2020 context, but still I would consider doing the "condensed" LBS (I think you can graduate in 12/15 months or so), and haggling a bit with adcom to get a scholarship, although European schools have very few of those.

Moreover, in a potential recession scenario the best schools are higher in the pecking order to get less jobs, so that would be an extra security from my POV.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi , my background is healthcare tech. I have offers from both LBS and Cambridge Judge Business School for EMBA.

LBS is literally 10 mins walk from my office and in my head LBS feels like another day in the office. Where as Judge has this university feel as well given the Cambridge uni.

Moreover Judge has the silicon fen and many healthcare tech start ups with a comprehensive university network. On the other hand LBS network in the London city and globally is unparalleled.

I will be signing a two year bond with my company as they are sponsoring most of it. Judge will only cost me £11,000 where LBS will cost me £34,000.

After completing my bond, it is unlikely I will stay in corporate sector and most likely return to my home country Pakistan/Kashmir where noone knows LBS but Oxbridge is very well respected. I will be most likely doing social work - going to LBS and getting access to their alumni network I don't think will help me unless I stay in the west and work here for next 5/6 years for return on investment.

However my head is saying LBS but heart is set on Cambridge.

I am sure many people will not reject LBS, what do you think, not something I am going to regret later?

Given its only EMBA - don't think it matters that much. If it was full time MBA and much early on in my career probably LBS would have made a difference.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts