Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GRE 1: Q158 V143
Send PM
Re: Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm the work of William Faulkner [#permalink]
Higeneris,

Could you please explain me the role of a modifier considered.
As per the GMAT rules comma+ Verb-ed modifier modifies the preceding noun.
In option A Considered seems to modify that Faulkner which seems to be Incorrect. Ideally it should modify work.

Could you please explain this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm the work of William Faulkner [#permalink]
vishumangal wrote:
Higeneris,

In option A Considered seems to modify that Faulkner which seems to be Incorrect. Ideally it should modify work.

My two cents:
The comma+verb-ed modifier here - '....work of Faulkner, comprised...' modifies 'work' and to be precise noun-phrase 'work of Faulkner'. The lack of a more appropriate placement for the preposition phrase 'of Faulkner' leads to such a construction wherein the modifier is postponed.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishumangal wrote:
Higeneris,

Hi vishumangal , I am answering your tag.
I think you mean "comprised"? :)

The original sentence:
Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels, remains among the most revered in the American literary canon.

Comprised is a past participle (a verbED).
On the GMAT, almost always, comma + past participle modifies the immediately preceding noun or noun phrase.

In this case, comprised modifies the main noun, WORK, in the noun phrase work of William Faulkner. **

Because the past participle comprised modifies the noun work, comprised is an adjective— participial adjective, in jargon.
Comprised of .... gives additional information about Faulkner's work.

Comprised tells us about one aspect of his "work": what kind of work it was. His writing was made up of two kinds of prose: short stories and novels.

-- participial adjectives can seem a little strange. HERE is a challenging but very good article about participial adjectives.
Comprised means "consisting of" or "made up of" or "including" or "constituted by."
Comprised tells us the type or kind (or even content) of Faulkner's work.

This structure (comma + verbED) is not tested as frequently as comma + present participle (verbING).
One official question that tests the comma + past participle construction can be found here. (Alice Walker question)
SPOILER ALERT: The answer to an official question is revealed if you look under the spoiler
In that question, published is an adjective that modifies the book The Color Purple.

Comprised is an adjective that modifies the noun work.

Hope that helps.

**Why can comprised "reach over" the phrase of William Faulkner to get to its target noun, work?
As is the case with almost all modifiers (I cannot think of an exception), if a noun is followed by a prepositional phrase, the prepositional phrase is essential, cannot be placed elsewhere, but is NOT the main noun.
So we allow modifiers such as comprised to "reach back" to the main noun in the noun phrase.
That main noun is work.

We can do the same thing with modifiers such as which.

Example: Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, which consisted of short stories and novels, became revered.

For these two modifiers (comprised and which), an essential modifier trumps a nonessential modifier.
That is, if a nonessential modifier such as comprised or which is separated from its noun by an essential modifier, that fact is just fine because essential trumps nonessential but both "of William Faulkner" and "comprised" modify work.

(Even that can reach back. Correct: Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner that is exemplified by his novels became revered.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
EducationAisle

I chose D because of "number of blockbusters". Is that incorrect? Why so? Why is number of blockbuster is correct? Blockbuster is singular and "number" is depicted that we choose a number from a plural. It is wrong to say number of + singular noun
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brego wrote:
EducationAisle

I chose D because of "number of blockbusters". Is that incorrect? Why so? Why is number of blockbuster is correct? Blockbuster is singular and "number" is depicted that we choose a number from a plural. It is wrong to say number of + singular noun

Hi! enthusiasms is incorrect in D.

The structure of A is:

...a number of [(blockbuster), (overpoweringly complicated) novels]....

blockbuster is used as an adjective for novels, and is not used as a noun; it's like blockbuster movies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
"A number of" should be followed by a plural subject but in option A it is followed by a singular subject. Is the usage right?

generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 69 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,, remains among the most revered in the American literary canon.

A) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

B) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,

C) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

D) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,

E) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner are comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

The official explanation is HERE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
I feel A is not right because it says "a number of blockbuster" ...shouldn't it be blockbusters? Plural .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
Send PM
I agree with the answer, however, shouldn't "a number of blockbuster" be "a number of blockbusters "
Manhattan gmat sc guide clearly states whemever we write "a number....it always indicates plural
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts