Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 02:23 It is currently 11 May 2024, 02:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Booth '22 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Booth '22 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: First Day Explained [#permalink]
gunster wrote:
I'm currently part of the team working on First Day so I can definitely speak to it.

First Day for Booth occur on a weekend for each round 1 and 2 from Thursday night to Saturday. The idea of First Day is to provide accepted candidates with an very brief introduction to Booth as a school, your fellow classmates, and the MBA program. The schedule is as follows (subject to change disclaimer!!)

You and your partner (if you have one who is free during that weekend) are welcome to the entire First Day event:

Thursday night:

There's a reception for all people that are coming as well as their partners. Everyone is divided into squads of roughly 10 people and each candidate will be given information on which squad they're in beforehand. At the reception, you will be stationed with your squad so you can meet them as well as your two squad leaders who are currently first year volunteers that are "in charge" of you for First Day. For the reception, you'll mingle around and get to know everyone.

Then, people will break for dinner with your squad. You'll get to know your squad members better over dinner.

Friday:

Friday takes place at Harper Center, Booth's building in University of Chicago in Hyde Park.

In the morning, there are mostly icebreaker activities and an introduction to the LEAD course for Booth.

There will be a breakout session afterwards for a variety of topics to answer people's questions. Some examples are breakout sessions on: international financing and visas, marketing, social impact at Booth, etc.

At the same time, your partners are welcome to join you for this event, or they can participate in a specific partner's only event. There are also rooms available for parents to be with their babies, and some quiet rooms where partners can stop in to work.

Everyone meets together for lunch, and a partner's specific lunch for partners to get to know each other.

Afternoon - Squad activities. You will be participating in anything from scavenger hunts to fun contests (tower building with popsicle sticks, beer pong without beer, etc.) and competing with other squads, etc.

Second breakout session: the big ones here are the partner's panel (from current students and partners) and alumni insights.

There'll be a fair to talk about student clubs, followed by a toast to your class

Dinner + afterparty

Saturday:

Saturday takes place in Gleacher, which is Booth's building inside the Loop in downtown Chicago. It begins with a a partner's brunch, followed by a student lunch. I remember last year the partner's brunch had waaayyyy better food, so a lot of students just went early for the food.

After lunch, early afternoon will be dedicated to a randomwalk fair. There'll basically be 2-3 hours where you're given the freedom to look at different randomwalk pitches from the Randomwalk leaders. For those who don't know, Randomwalk is the pre-MBA trip available for students and I strongly encourage everyone to go! Tangentially, students will be offering housing tours within the loop. We tend to let students and their partners stay together during the rest of today.

There's a trolley tour following the fair that will take everyone to a bar where First Day ends with a send-off!

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you for this info!!! I cannot wait for this. Two quick questions 1) do most people if they have a partner bring them? 2) do the squads you're put in stick through to when you're a student? (like if I don't bring my partner would I be put in a solo squad and then remain in that squad through school?)
Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
I'd be happy to answer those questions!

1. This is pretty dependent on a multitude of factors, primarily of which is where the admit is coming from and what work they do. Because First Day occurs from Thurs-Saturday, a lot of people with partners that work in corporations and are outside of Chicago can't make the trip due to work purposes, while partners that are in Chicago almost always swing by. That being said, we're making some changes this year to encourage more "solo programming" for partners as a whole. I can't go into too many details yet, but e will have rooms for people to work on Friday if they need to and more activities catered towards partners throughout First Day. I highly encourage everyone with a partner who can make it to bring them because we are going to give them the option of sitting in with you to learn more about Booth, or to do some fun things amongst themselves (lots of games of all kind for sure). I'll be happy to answer more specific questions privately if you want to PM me

2. This is entirely dependent on yourself and your squad. We definitely don't put "people with partners" together in the same group because we want all the students to interact with each other. Again, we really wish to give partners a lot of freedom. Our thoughts are that partners may not care much about Booth's curriculum, how LEAD works, and things like that, while they do care about where you'll live, which randomwalk you're going to, and how the partners club works. So there's a lot of freedom for them and you're not going to be segmented into a different squad just because you do or don't bring your partner!

Regarding how well the squad sticks together: the First Day squad designation is for the event only. When school starts, you'll be put into different squads and cohorts as part of LEAD. For me personally, I know a few of my First Day squads very well as friends as well as my squad leader, but lost touch with some others. These are NOT the squads that will be assigned to you when school starts so a lot of how well squads stick together will depend on the students.

I hope that answers your questions, and let me know if you have any additional ones.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73146 [0]
Given Kudos: 18945
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Booth Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Booth Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Booth Forum for all fresh things related to the Booth MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts