Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 03:49 It is currently 21 May 2024, 03:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
MBA vs MFin/MFE [to get into IB] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Agree with limiting your list so you don't sacrifice quality. Obviously you need to make the final call, as there may be other factors at play or programs you feel really drawn to personally, but I think you need a range of programs to increase your odds. For instance, I might only pick one of the Top 7 programs (CBS, Booth, Wharton or MIT). And then fill out your list with 3 from the remaining ones. I think given your priorities, Cornell is a great one to keep on your list. Also think LBS is worth keeping because it provides some diversity to the US market. And then you could fill the 4th spot with another school you're excited about (or whichever application seems less time intensive to you!). Hope that helps.

SudsMeister wrote:

Hi Kate,
Thank you so much for the assessment.
I am limiting myself to 4 B-Schools (MBA) in R2 so that the quality of the applications do not take a dip.
Which four schools should I aim at, the priorities being:
1) Odds of getting through (given my GPA and work-ex)
2) The school being a target school for IB
The list of schools to choose from as of now is:
Wharton, Columbia, Chicago Booth, NYU, Cornell, LBS, MIT, Darden, Duke, Yale, Ross.

Best
Sudarshan
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MBA vs MFin/MFE [to get into IB] [#permalink]
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Agree with limiting your list so you don't sacrifice quality. Obviously you need to make the final call, as there may be other factors at play or programs you feel really drawn to personally, but I think you need a range of programs to increase your odds. For instance, I might only pick one of the Top 7 programs (CBS, Booth, Wharton or MIT). And then fill out your list with 3 from the remaining ones. I think given your priorities, Cornell is a great one to keep on your list. Also think LBS is worth keeping because it provides some diversity to the US market. And then you could fill the 4th spot with another school you're excited about (or whichever application seems less time intensive to you!). Hope that helps.

That was quite insightful Kate.
Thank you.
I am striving to complete my Cornell and LBS applications in a couple of weeks.

Just out of curiosity, and in case you've any clue - how is the job hiring in US for international MBA students? I have heard from a couple of students (Class of 2020/21) that many companies (around 30-40%) at Stern, CBS etc. have straightforwardly said that non-Americans aren't eligible to apply in their recruitment process, partly due to the chance factor of H1-B visas.
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Send PM
Re: MBA vs MFin/MFE [to get into IB] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Happy to help. I'm certainly not an expert in that side of things, and would encourage you to check directly with schools' career services teams and their employment reports. My sense is that it has become more challenging and you need to cast a wider net and be prepared to do a lot of networking. Jobs are there but not a given. It is worth looking at which programs have STEM certification, and using that to narrow your list, as that provides an extra year of work authorization. Many schools have recently qualified for STEM certification.

Kate

SudsMeister wrote:

That was quite insightful Kate.
Thank you.
I am striving to complete my Cornell and LBS applications in a couple of weeks.

Just out of curiosity, and in case you've any clue - how is the job hiring in US for international MBA students? I have heard from a couple of students (Class of 2020/21) that many companies (around 30-40%) at Stern, CBS etc. have straightforwardly said that non-Americans aren't eligible to apply in their recruitment process, partly due to the chance factor of H1-B visas.
Moderator:
1457 posts