Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 08:55 It is currently 05 May 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The resurgence of tuberculosis is behavioral, not medical. Nudges can fix it – Erez Yoeli, David Rand, and Jon Rathauser
From STAT Nancy had been coughing for months. When she started experiencing chest pain, this bubbly mother of three and very proud grandmother went to see a doctor at her local clinic in Thika, about 20 miles northeast of Nairobi. He delivered a crushing diagnosis: She had contracted a drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis. That was in June 2016. For the next eight months, Nancy went to the clinic daily to receive an injection of a strong antibiotic and take a cocktail of 15 pills that were also antibiotics. She became so weakened by the disease and her medications that she couldn’t walk. Her children carried her to the clinic for her daily visits and provided constant support and encouragement, but she still felt she was alone — she wasn’t working, and her friends avoided her out of fear of being infected by the disease. Nancy is one of roughly 10 million … Read More »

The post The resurgence of tuberculosis is behavioral, not medical. Nudges can fix it – Erez Yoeli, David Rand, and Jon Rathauser appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Teaching entrepreneurship, cultivating antifragility – Bill Aulet
From BizEd When I first started as the managing director of the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship a decade ago, I thought my job was to help students create more and better startups. Fortunately, some wiser and more experienced faculty members reminded me that we were part of an educational institution. It made me think of the old adage that states, “It’s better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish.” We wanted to teach our students not just how to launch single businesses—we wanted to teach them how to think like entrepreneurs. As a result, we shifted our focus from creating companies to creating entrepreneurs. To that end, we developed programs for individuals we called the “ready-to-go entrepreneurs.” These are students who are determined to create their own standalone startups. As much as it pains me to say it, back then we were in … Read More »

The post Teaching entrepreneurship, cultivating antifragility – Bill Aulet appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: China’s one-child policy left countless children bereft. It can help to ease the pain of loss – Meia Geddes
From South China Morning Post In 1992, I was abandoned as a baby and found in a public place in Hefei, China. For almost two years, I lived in an orphanage and with a foster mother. Then my adoptive mother flew me to Sacramento, California, where I grew up. My existence here in the United States is due to China’s infamous one-child policy, which was imposed for more than three decades before it was eased to a two-child policy in 2015. I am one of more than 90,000 children adopted from China and raised in the US between 1992 and 2018. About 40,000 other children went to families in the Netherlands, Spain and Britain. In her devastating poem, One Art, Elizabeth Bishop writes of loss in a way I relate to. She describes misplacing stuff like keys and a watch, but also losing things a little less trivial: names and places; rivers, cities and … Read More »

The post China’s one-child policy left countless children bereft. It can help to ease the pain of loss – Meia Geddes appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Is deep learning a game changer for marketing analytics? – Glen Urban, Artem Timoshenko, Paramveer Dhillon, and John R. Hauser
From MIT Sloan Management Review  Deep learning is delivering impressive results in AI applications. Apple’s Siri, for example, translates the human voice into computer commands that allow iPhone owners to get answers to questions, send messages, and navigate their way to and from obscure locations. Automated driving enables people today to go hands-free on expressways, and it will eventually do the same on city streets. In biology, researchers are creating new molecules for DNA-based pharmaceuticals. Given all this activity with deep learning, many wonder how the underlying methods will alter the future of marketing. To what extent will they help companies design profitable new products and services to meet the needs of customers? The technology that underpins deep learning is becoming increasingly capable of analyzing big databases for patterns and insights. It isn’t difficult to imagine a day when companies will be able to integrate a wide array of databases … Read More »

The post Is deep learning a game changer for marketing analytics? – Glen Urban, Artem Timoshenko, Paramveer Dhillon, and John R. Hauser appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Is technology sabotaging you? – Tara Swart
From Psychology Today From Fitbit to HeadSpace to budgeting app Mint, technology is often billed as the solution to sticking to our New Year’s resolutions. With 80% of resolutions failing by February, the ability to track our exercise, food, weight, spending, and meditation habits at our fingertips seems like a no-brainer. But is technology actually making it harder for us to stick to our goals? What if we are embracing the very mechanism responsible for sabotaging our good intentions? Technology is highly addictive, by design. In a recent BBC investigation, a former Silicon Valley insider said social media companies were sprinkling “behavioral cocaine” over smartphone apps, adding features that deliberately keep us addicted. If not kept in check, using a smartphone app with the goal of sticking to your resolution may tempt you to do other things, such as checking your social media accounts instead. To adults, apps are as … Read More »

The post Is technology sabotaging you? – Tara Swart appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: How globalization may explain consistently low inflation rates – Kristin Forbes
From The Hill Weak inflation is one of the “major challenges” of our time, according to Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell. Not only does persistently low inflation limit the scope of monetary policy, it may also have a damaging impact on the financial system. But the inflation forecasts used by the Federal Reserve to set monetary policy have not been performing very well lately. When the global financial crisis erupted in 2008 and growth collapsed around the world, why did inflation not fall further? As growth has picked up in the United States and unemployment has gone down, why has the inflation rate in this country remained so stubbornly low? One key to the puzzle may be the forecasts themselves. The frameworks that macroeconomists have relied on to predict inflation primarily use domestic variables dating back to the “Phillips Curve” of the late 1960s which showed that inflation increases when … Read More »

The post How globalization may explain consistently low inflation rates – Kristin Forbes appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Community policing and the public’s attitudes toward police – David Rand, Kyle Peyton, and Michael Sierra-Arévalo
From Psychology Today We are in the midst of a crisis of police legitimacy in America. Each case of police brutality and shooting of an unarmed civilian causes more people to lose trust in the police and to question whether officers are really there to serve and protect. Without public trust, how can the police effectively do their job? In response to this crisis, some police officials and policymakers have promoted the use community-oriented policing (COP), which emphasizes positive, nonenforcement contact with the public to build trust and police legitimacy. COP dates back to the 1970s, and has involved things like foot patrols, community meetings, neighborhood watches, and door-to-door visits. The idea is simple: If interactions with the police don’t always involve a problem—much less punishment of some kind—then the public may come to trust police and, hopefully, cooperate with them in the future to report and solve crimes. Despite massive investments … Read More »

The post Community policing and the public’s attitudes toward police – David Rand, Kyle Peyton, and Michael Sierra-Arévalo appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: When Boeing’s 737 Max returns to the skies, it will be flying full – Arnold Barnett
From RealClear Markets Someday, more than a year after its second disastrous crash, the grounded Boeing 737 MAX will return to the skies. But will it be awash in empty seats when it does so? If recent surveys are to be believed, the answer is clearly yes. A December 2019 poll conducted by Bank of America estimated that only 20% of Americans would readily board the relaunched MAX. (This figure excludes the 50% of respondents who had not heard of the MAX controversy, but one assumes that these people rarely if ever fly.). Boeing’s own surveys in December 2019 imply that more than 40% of potential air travelers now plan to steer clear of the MAX. Montana Senator Jon Tester probably spoke for many when he declared that “I would walk before I was to get on a 737 MAX.” To be sure, discrepancies often arise between what people tell … Read More »

The post When Boeing’s 737 Max returns to the skies, it will be flying full – Arnold Barnett appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: A passion for data: How this alumna uses analytics to enhance consumer experience
The post A passion for data: How this alumna uses analytics to enhance consumer experience appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: How I learned that “Leave no one behind” is more than an unofficial motto in the MIT EMBA program
The post How I learned that “Leave no one behind” is more than an unofficial motto in the MIT EMBA program appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: How to succeed without being the smartest person in the room – Jeanne Ross
From MIT Sloan Management Review As part of a set of research interviews, my colleague at MIT’s Center for Information Systems Research (CISR), Martin Mocker, and I once asked technology staffers at 40 big companies what impact they thought they were having on their companies. Sadly, many said that they didn’t think they were having any impact. They were doing what they were supposed to do, but they could not see how their companies would apply their efforts to become more successful. What a waste of resources — and a missed opportunity! I suspect that similar scenarios are playing out in many, many companies. Our research on digital transformations suggests that recruiting, directing, and developing talent is more important than ever but is also more challenging. Traditionally, many management roles have involved defining individual tasks and even specific processes for completing them. The best people were promoted so they could … Read More »

The post How to succeed without being the smartest person in the room – Jeanne Ross appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Why we need to redefine start-up culture with positive mental health habits – Kathleen Stetson and Trish Cotter
From Thrive Global Anxiety and depression are rampant among entrepreneurs. The stereotype of a founder — fueled by caffeine and ramen noodles, while forgoing sleep, exercise, fresh air, friends, and family in the quest for success — has been the norm for years. It has been encouraged, and even glorified, by start-up culture.   The Inc. article “The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship” explores this topic and explains, “the same passionate dispositions that drive founders heedlessly toward success can sometimes consume them. Business owners are ‘vulnerable to the dark side of obsession.’” Yet this is not healthy or helpful for long-term success. Compounding this problem is the start-up founder’s hesitation to show weakness or self-doubt. They feel the need to project confidence for investors and employees, despite any inner insecurities. They also tend to connect their self-worth and identity to their start-ups, which can lead to feelings of depression if their … Read More »

The post Why we need to redefine start-up culture with positive mental health habits – Kathleen Stetson and Trish Cotter appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Technology and the road to self-Improvement – Renée Richardson Gosline
From Psychology Today The promises of the digital world are everywhere. We use apps to help us learn a language, manage our money, lose weight, sleep better. We sign up for online professional certificate courses and stream thought-provoking lectures; firms increasingly conduct training via platforms and parents use digital tools to prepare children for the classroom. This trend shows no signs of slowing: the global E-Learning market is expected to reach $325 billion by 2025, up from $107 Billion in 2015, according to Forbes Magazine. In the United States alone, the Yale Tribune reports, over 6 million college students have enrolled in some form of distance or online education. The great promise of all this technology is that it will allow us to improve our performance and, ostensibly, ourselves. No longer must you have the good fortune of economic and social capital in order to gain access to premium-branded learning opportunities. … Read More »

The post Technology and the road to self-Improvement – Renée Richardson Gosline appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: An MIT economist on how to turn bad jobs into good ones – Paul Osterman
From the Boston Globe Despite the historically strong job market in our state and nationally, almost a quarter of Massachusetts residents are stuck in low-wage jobs. None of us should find it acceptable that 23 percent of the state’s working adults (who were not self-employed) earned $15 an hour or less in 2018 — an amount well below the wage needed to support an adult with one child in many parts of Massachusetts. People who hold low-wage jobs suffer worse health than the rest of us — as do their children. What’s more, many low-wage jobs, especially in retail and food service, are characterized by unpredictable schedules that make it difficult for employees to manage their lives and fulfill their family responsibilities. The political anger that we read about every day in our nation is in part because too many people cannot earn enough to support their families.   Although … Read More »

The post An MIT economist on how to turn bad jobs into good ones – Paul Osterman appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: Five Rules for Leading in a Digital World
The post Five Rules for Leading in a Digital World appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: China has a big economic problem, and it isn’t the trade war – Yasheng Huang
From The New York Times A decade ago, after the 2008 global financial crisis, China seemed to save its economy by decoupling it from the rest of the world’s with a massive domestic investment program. Today, it is progress on the trade war with the United States, or the recoupling of China’s economy with those of other countries, that is seen as the way for it to regain momentum. But to think in these terms is to miss the main point: The trade war has merely compounded an economic slowdown in China that is substantially of the country’s own making. The deceleration is serious. In 2018, China’s gross domestic product grew by about 6.5 percent, the lowest rate since 1990. And part of the slowdown is a predictable result of deliberate government decisions, in particular policies that favor the state sector at the expense of the private sector — even though the … Read More »

The post China has a big economic problem, and it isn’t the trade war – Yasheng Huang appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Front office, disrupted – Paul Michelman and Ben Shields
From MIT Sloan Management Review In this Counterpoints podcast, MIT Sloan’s Ben Shields and Paul Michelman interview Angela Ruggiero on how sports teams can better captivate fans. Listen to the podcast here. It’s the billion-dollar question on the mind of every sports executive right now: How do you separate yourself in a world where fans have almost unlimited access to sports and entertainment? With so many options to choose from, it’s getting ever harder for teams to captivate the masses. Ben Shields is a Senior Lecturer in Managerial Communication at the MIT Sloan School of Management. Paul Michelman is the editor-in-chief of MIT Sloan Management Review. Angela Ruggiero is the CEO and cofounder of Sports Innovation Lab.  

The post Front office, disrupted – Paul Michelman and Ben Shields appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts