Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 308
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean information [#permalink]
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:
Shivikaa wrote:
hi,
I chose D for Q2. Please help why is it E?
Also, I didn't understand Q1.

thanks in advance

Quote:
1. The passage suggests which of the following about the ring patterns of two trees that grew in the same area and that were of different, but overlapping, ages?
A. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would often exhibit similar patterns.
B. The rings corresponding to the years in which only one of the trees was alive would not reliably indicate the climate conditions of those years.
C. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would exhibit similar patterns only if the trees were of the same species.
D. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years could not be complacent rings.
E. The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would provide a more reliable index of dry climate conditions than of wet conditions.

For the first question, refer to the following portion: "In wet years rings are broad; during drought years they are narrow, since the trees grow less. Often, ring patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past climate conditions."

So if we look at the ring patterns of dead trees, we should be able to tell which years were dry and which years were wet based on the width of the rings. If we only have one tree, then we would obviously only be able to gather data for the years in which that tree was alive. But now imagine we have two trees. One of the trees died in 1940 at the age of 50, and the other was born in 1950 and lived for 60 years (a 10 year overlap). In that case, we would have ring data from 1890 - 2010 and could use that data to help figure out which years were wet and which were dry.

Now consider the 10-year overlap. Because we are talking about different trees, the actual widths of the rings from those years might not be exactly the same. However, during wet years, we would expect RELATIVELY broad rings. During dry years, we would expect relatively narrow rings. So even though the precise widths might not be exactly the same for both trees, the PATTERNS (i.e. narrow-narrow-broad-narrow-broad-broad-broad-etc) will likely be the same. Now the second paragraph does explain why this is not ALWAYS the case, but the passage suggests that the patterns will OFTEN exhibit similar patterns.

Hopefully that helps you arrive at the correct answer!

Quote:
2. In the highlighted text, "uncertainties" refers to
A. dendrochronologists' failure to consider the prevalence of erratic weather patterns
B. inconsistencies introduced because of changes in methodology
C. some tree species' tendency to deviate from the norm
D. the lack of detectable variation in trees with complacent rings
E. the lack of perfect correlation between the number of a tree's rings and its age

The highlighted portion specifically refers to trees that may go a year or two without adding rings. According to the first paragraph, it is often possible to determine a tree's age by counting the rings. Why? Because there is typically an annual boundary line at the end of the growing season. With a regular annual growth pattern, you can count the rings to determine the age.

But what if a tree goes a year or two without adding any rings? In that case, if you count the rings to determine the age, your number will be LESS than the tree's actual age. For example, if you count 40 rings, the tree could actually be 41, 42, 45, 50, or 60+ years old! We would have no way to determine the number of years in which rings were not added. This corresponds to choice (E).

As for choice (D), the highlighted portion refers to the uncertainty in ring count, not to the lack of variation in ring width in complacent trees. We are indeed told that trees with "complacent" rings show little variation in ring width from year to year. However, you should still be able to count rings to determine the AGE of complacent trees. You would not be able to tell which years were wet/dry, but you should still be able to determine the age.

Choice (E) is the best answer.

Hi GMATNinja,

Your explanation is very detailed and helpful.

I have 1 query regarding interpretation of the phrase overlapping ages. I understand that overlapping ages are the years in which both trees would be in existence. Whereas your explanation of question 1 suggests that overlapping ages are the years in which neither of the 2 trees exist, i.e. 1940-1950.

Can you please clarify the meaning of the word overlap in the context of the passage?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean information [#permalink]
Can sb tell me which one (E) (A) (C) (D) is correct??? As I saw on the forum, different person post different answer????

(A)
For the first question, refer to the following portion: "In wet years rings are broad; during drought years they are narrow, since the trees grow less. Often, ring patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past climate conditions."

So if we look at the ring patterns of dead trees, we should be able to tell which years were dry and which years were wet based on the width of the rings. If we only have one tree, then we would obviously only be able to gather data for the years in which that tree was alive. But now imagine we have two trees. One of the trees died in 1940 at the age of 50, and the other was born in 1950 and lived for 60 years (a 10 year overlap). In that case, we would have ring data from 1890 - 2010 and could use that data to help figure out which years were wet and which were dry.

Now consider the 10-year overlap. Because we are talking about different trees, the actual widths of the rings from those years might not be exactly the same. However, during wet years, we would expect RELATIVELY broad rings. During dry years, we would expect relatively narrow rings. So even though the precise widths might not be exactly the same for both trees, the PATTERNS (i.e. narrow-narrow-broad-narrow-broad-broad-broad-etc) will likely be the same. Now the second paragraph does explain why this is not ALWAYS the case, but the passage suggests that the patterns will OFTEN exhibit similar patterns.

A very good and detailed explanation, thanks GMATNinja
(OA) gives this one as correct answer

However if we see from the last sentence of paragraph2
Certain species sometimes add more than one ring in a single year, when growth halts temporarily and then starts again.

So shouldn’t that we also need to take into account certain “species” to determine whether they exhibit “similar pattern”?????

(C)
We can infer from sentence as below
“Certain” species sometimes add more than one ring in a single year, when growth halts temporarily and then starts again.
-not “every” species
So it’s possible that even if they were different species, maybe “the rings corresponding to the overlapping years would exhibit similar patterns.”
-hence incorrect

(D)
However, its plausible for this explanation written by desaichinmay22
I also have a way of thinking same as desaichinmay22

In the passage it is stated that often, ring patterns of dead trees of different, but overlapping, ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past climate conditions. Start of second passage states that "complacent" rings tell nothing about changes in climate. Hence it can be deduced that rings corresponding to overlapping years couldn't be complacent rings.

So why (D) cannot be the correct answer???

Or maybe it(the rings corresponding to the overlapping years) could be “complacent” rings, but it cannot tell anything about changes in climate????

(E)
Its obviously incorrect, since from the second passage

However, trees that grew in areas with a steady supply of groundwater show little variation in ring width from year to year; these "complacent" rings tell nothing about changes in climate. And trees in extremely dry regions may go a year or two without adding any rings,

- hence we can infer that “steady wet” &“extremely dry” tell nothing about changes in climate

So (E) The rings corresponding to the overlapping years would provide a more reliable index of dry climate conditions than of wet conditions.-obviously not correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean information [#permalink]
Why (B) cannot be correct answer???
I have the same problem as zoezhuyan

we can see from the first word “however” in para2, doesn’t it indeed “ question” the validity of Dendrochronology,a method to study the tree-ring records for gleaning information about the past, in para1???

We can easily see from this passage that (C) correspond to para1’s main idea, and for (B), it correspond to para2

Or maybe we can think for another way, it is that—which one, para1 or 2, is this passage’s main focus???however, its not quite obvious in this whole passage for us to discern which one is the main focus
so in Q3, it just hard for us to choose between (B) and (C)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [3]

Send PM
Re: Dendrochronology, the study of tree-ring records to glean information [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
what's the problem of the B in Q3?

IMOP, P1 states general patterns of rings under different environments,
while, P2 says patterns are similar under certain environment, and under some other certain environments, pattern has "uncertain" pattern, question the accuracy of the age if count the rings.
because I think Q2 questions the patterns, so I picked up B,
I think C does not include what P2 says, so I cross off C
I saw B is the second ranking, suggesting not few people agree with B.

When answering "main idea" questions on RC, looking for the answer choice that "covers what all the paragraphs said" will cause you endless frustration and often lead you to the wrong answer choice.

That's because the question is not, "Which answer choice seems to cover the content of every paragraph?"

Rather, the question is, "Why did the author write this passage in the first place?"

mimishyu wrote:
Why (B) cannot be correct answer???
I have the same problem as zoezhuyan

we can see from the first word “however” in para2, doesn’t it indeed “ question” the validity of Dendrochronology,a method to study the tree-ring records for gleaning information about the past, in para1???

We can easily see from this passage that (C) correspond to para1’s main idea, and for (B), it correspond to para2

Or maybe we can think for another way, it is that—which one, para1 or 2, is this passage’s main focus???however, its not quite obvious in this whole passage for us to discern which one is the main focus
so in Q3, it just hard for us to choose between (B) and (C)

Again, why did the author write the passage?

• The author wrote P1 in order to introduce the technique of dendrochronology and show how this method can reveal past climate conditions.
  • The author wrote P2 in order to explain a few scenarios where dendrochronology's results can be compromised. In other words, the author wrote P2 to qualify the statements made in P1, rounding out the overall explanation of how dendrochronology works.

The author wanted to explain how dendrochronology can be used to deduce climate history (including when it might not work).

Let's take a look at choice (B) one more time:

Quote:
The passage is primarily concerned with B. questioning the validity of a method used to study tree-ring records

Did the author write this passage in order to question the validity of a method?

Nope. While reading P2 in isolation might lead us to choose (B), remember that the reason the author wrote P2 in the first place is to expand on P1. None of the language here signals a desire by the author to convince us that these exceptions should make us question the validity of dendrochronology overall.

The overarching purpose is to present a well-rounded explanation of how and when it works. When it might not work is presented as part of that explanation, not a challenge to the method's validity.

That's why choice (C) is the best fit and choice (B) can be eliminated.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shadowrat wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I don't quite understand the example you mentioned in your post.

"One of the trees died in 1940 at the age of 50, and the other was born in 1950 and lived for 60 years (a 10 year overlap)"

If one tree died in 1940, and the other was born in 1950, then it would be a 10 year short instead of a 10 year overlap.

Am I correct?

DiyaDutta wrote:
shadowrat wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I don't quite understand the example you mentioned in your post.

"One of the trees died in 1940 at the age of 50, and the other was born in 1950 and lived for 60 years (a 10 year overlap)"

If one tree died in 1940, and the other was born in 1950, then it would be a 10 year short instead of a 10 year overlap.

Am I correct?

2 years late but I have the same question. If one tree dies in 1960 and the other was born in 1950 then only there will be a 10 year overlap. Isnt it?

Whoops! Thank you both for catching my careless arithmetic error. :shock: :shh:

Yes, I plugged in incorrect numbers to illustrate the logic of the passage. While the underlying reasoning is identical, I've updated my post to correct this mistake on the figures. Sorry for causing this confusion!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Diya52 wrote:
For Q1, can someone please explain why C is wrong?

"Uncertainty" is about the age of trees. We already know that they have already deviated from the norm, from that we have an uncertainty of the age.
We can get it from the last line from the last paragraph "ages can be correlated to provide an extended index of past climate conditions." Ages can be correlated from the rings, but when there is an uncertainty about the age of the trees.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
(D) The rings corresponding to the overlapping years could not be complacent rings.

When I read the sentence complacent rings, I thought of meaning as similar. But on checkingdictionary.com I found the meaning as : self-satisfied, pleased .

I don't see similar or synonyms of similar in complacent meaning list.
Can someone give his/her opinion on meaning of D with the dictionary meaning?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
(D) The rings corresponding to the overlapping years could not be complacent rings.

When I read the sentence complacent rings, I thought of meaning as similar. But on checkingdictionary.com I found the meaning as : self-satisfied, pleased .

I don't see similar or synonyms of similar in complacent meaning list.
Can someone give his/her opinion on meaning of D with the dictionary meaning?

Hi imSKR,

Dictionary meaning of Complacent: showing smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements.
Other synonyms in addition to ones you have mentioned are lazy, slack.

Now w.r.t the passage, it would mean slow changes in the rings or no changes at all, as also mentioned in the last para:
However, trees that grew in areas with a steady supply of groundwater show little variation in ring width from year to year; these "complacent" rings tell nothing about changes in climate.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja bm2201

Can you please give your opinion on Q1: why not D

And trees in extremely dry regions may go a year or two without adding any rings, thereby introducing uncertainties into the count.
What I understand:
Add no rings then it will be difficult to calculate the age.

If No rings then what happens ? Then we get wrong count of rings. It means lack of something ( ring) that could have been considered to determine the age.
so what is uncertainity to the count here? I think uncertainity count means somethign that was detectable ( such as ring)

Quote:
1. In the highlighted text, "uncertainties" refers to

(D) the lack of detectable variation in trees with complacent rings
(E) the lack of perfect correlation between the number of a tree's rings and its age

So I choose D. lack of something visible that could have added in the count to compensate missing count of rings.

Please suggest VeritasKarishma GMATNinja bm2201
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64937 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos