Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [92]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [8]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult [#permalink]
Kudos
A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult by numerous obstacles, not the least of which is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes.

A) is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudesYes. Proper SV agreement. Hold it for a while.
B) are the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudesWrong SV pair.
C) is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterizes very high altitudesdecreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability together characterized very high altitudes but neither of the both alone.
D) are the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterizes very high altitudesWrong SV pair again.
E) is the challenges of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudesis the challanges is wrong.

Now +A it is.

Hope that helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [4]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult [#permalink]
Kudos
notrandom wrote:
A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult by numerous obstacles, not the least of which is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes.

A) is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes
B) are the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes
C) is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterizes very high altitudes
D) are the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterizes very high altitudes
E) is the challenges of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes

OA

OE
Both the decreased atmospheric pressure and the low oxygen availability are things to which the climber must adjust, and the sentence needs to express that one obstacle is the challenge of adjusting to both of these things. Since this predicate nominative (essentially, Y in the sentence X is Y) is singular, we need "is," not "are," so B and D are out. (E) is out because "is the challenges" doesn't work. Finally, both the decreased atmospheric pressure and the low oxygen availability characterize very high altitudes; since the verb has a plural subject, (C) is out (we couldn't say "they characterizes"). (A) is the only answer choice in which all subjects agree with all verbs.

First split IS vs ARE. Is here refers to the least of which, singular
Second split the challenge singular not plural
Third split A and B characterize cause its a compound subject we need plural

Hence A

Hope it helps
Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
rockstar23 wrote:
notrandom wrote:

A) is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes
B) are the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes
C) is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterizes very high altitudes
D) are the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterizes very high altitudes
E) is the challenges of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes

Correct is correctly agrees with the challenge and characterize agrees with altitudes

Use of are is incorrect. Hence incorrect

characterizes does not agree with altitudes. Hence incorrect

use of are and characterizes introuduces S-V errors. Hence incorrect

Here challenges is plural so use of is is incorrect. Hence incorrect

can someone elaborate on why IS is correct instead of ARE? Is it because "not the least of which" denotes a singular item? I got it right just sorta being a native speaker, but otherwise i'm confused. thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [3]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
mdacosta wrote:
can someone elaborate on why IS is correct instead of ARE? Is it because "not the least of which" denotes a singular item? I got it right just sorta being a native speaker, but otherwise i'm confused. thanks!

Its an inverted construction, where "challenge/challenges" is the keyword that determine "is/are". Refer this : https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/1 ... tructures/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
godot53 wrote:
mdacosta wrote:

Its an inverted construction, where "challenge/challenges" is the keyword that determine "is/are". Refer this : https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/1 ... tructures/

hi,
thanks for the link .
well could you please help me out about my understanding on this problem , here it is-

in answer A , is followed =challenge(subject)
characterize= atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen(2nd plural subject)

please correct me if i am wrong . i really appreciate that.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
nks2611 wrote:
hi,
thanks for the link .
well could you please help me out about my understanding on this problem , here it is-

in answer A , is followed =challenge(subject)thanks

Yes, your understanding is correct. But, technically, "challenge" is not the subject. Consider this..
There are books on the table.
There is a book on the table.

Here, "there" is actually an expletive, or the logical subject, and the "books/book" is the object. Since, both the following sentences are derived from...
Book/books are/is on the table: its "book/books" that decide which verb to use.

nks2611 wrote:
characterize= atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen(2nd plural subject)

Again, I would argue "that" is the subject of the relative clause "that characterize very high altitudes" and "that" refers to a compound noun, hence a need for plural verb.
So, I won't use the term subject for "atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen", because "that" is the subject here.
----
However, by whatever name you define all the above, as long as you realize the need for plural verb and eliminate the answer choices, you are done. All you need is to recognize the splits - "characterizes/characterize" and "is/are".

Cheers !! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Thanks for the emphatic explanation. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES], but i didn't get how did you recognize the subject of 2nd part, ('that' is a compund noun) i didn't get this part.
Could you please elaborate more .
Loads of kudos for the great explanation ?

Sent from my vivo 1601 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [2]
Send PM
Kudos