Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 430
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult [#permalink]
EducationAisle
I think in the question a bunch of people seem to miss the point. Can you let me know if my understanding is okay?
A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult by numerous obstacles, not the least of which is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes.

Lets first consider this sentence
The new models explained alot of sub-atomic particles, some of which were recently discovered
Whats the subject of were? subatomic particles! Since some take the singular/plural property of what follows and which here refers to sub-atomic particles.

Coming back to our sentence
difficult by numerous obstacles, [i]not the least of which is the challenge of adjusting ...
what does which refer to? Numerous obstacles. The sentence structure is not inverted or anything. The reason why this is singular is because of the word not the least . Just like One of the oranges is singular. not the least of numerous obstacles is also singular, and hence the requirement for singular verb.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult [#permalink]
DanTe02 wrote:
EducationAisle
I think in the question a bunch of people seem to miss the point. Can you let me know if my understanding is okay?
A successful ascent of Mt. Everest is rendered tremendously difficult by numerous obstacles, not the least of which is the challenge of adjusting to the decreased atmospheric pressure and correspondingly low oxygen availability that characterize very high altitudes.

Lets first consider this sentence
The new models explained alot of sub-atomic particles, some of which were recently discovered
Whats the subject of were? subatomic particles! Since some take the singular/plural property of what follows and which here refers to sub-atomic particles.

difficult by numerous obstacles, [i]not the least of which is the challenge of adjusting ...
what does which refer to? Numerous obstacles. The sentence structure is not inverted or anything. The reason why this is singular is because of the word not the least . Just like One of the oranges is singular. not the least of numerous obstacles is also singular, and hence the requirement for singular verb.

DanTe02, Eg- Now that he has a cushy job, money and success are the least of his troubles. I don't think the use of least makes the subject singular. What are you thoughts on my example?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Brian123 I think your construction is very different. The construction you're using
Quote:
Now that he has a cushy job, money and success are the least of his troubles.

Whats the subject in the independent clause. Money and success plural

For your example to match our question. It would be Not the least of X is Y.
I would like to point two things.
1) Money and success are plural and least of his troubles should be one entity, the phrase least of his troubles mean only one among many.
2) After a bunch of googling, I came to the conclusion that the structure is indeed inverted in our question and Not the least of X can be both singular or plural Not the least of troubles = A bunch of troubles - 1. My analogy was adding the word not does not change the singular plural property , a analogy which is perhaps plain b.s now that I think of it.
One of the X is singular. Least of X is singular. Atleast X maybe singular plural, Not One of the X can be singular plural, One X is singular

Also the above is just me babbling, We can have experts to confirm this. GMATNinja Any thoughts on this?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DanTe02 wrote:
what does which refer to? Numerous obstacles.

It might not be a good idea to look at "which" in isolation here. "not the least of which" is equivalent to saying "one of the more important of them is".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle Yes expert thats my point. Just like One of apples is singular
does the phrase not the least has this similar property?
or is this hypothesis okay
Quote:
2) After a bunch of googling, I came to the conclusion that the structure is indeed inverted in our question and Not the least of X can be both singular or plural Not the least of troubles = A bunch of troubles - 1. My analogy was adding the word not does not change the singular plural property , a analogy which is perhaps plain b.s now that I think of it.
One of the X is singular. Least of X is singular. Atleast X maybe singular plural, Not One of the X can be singular plural, One X is singular
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DanTe02 wrote:
EducationAisle Yes expert thats my point. Just like One of apples is singular
does the phrase not the least has this similar property?

Yes, that's is correct. Though I did notice that this is not an official question.

Would be interesting to see if someone can point us to an official question that uses/tests this phrase.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
globaldesi wrote:
characterizes should modify "low oxygen availability" .
So as per SVA "C" is a better choice.
Can someone help resolve this query?

OA: the...pressure and...availability that characterize very high altitudes
Here, characterize (plural) agrees with the pressure and availability (plural).

Doesnt 'that' always modify the noun immediately preceding it?

Option D in the following question is ruled out because using 'that' for compound nouns distorts the meaning

https://gmatclub.com/forum/arteriviruse ... 03699.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep

Could you please help me here, there are cases when we use a singular verb for subjects that sounds plural but actually represents a general idea. "Characterize" is apparently the correct verb for the subject "very high altitudes". But how do we understand that "very high altitudes" here is not a general idea but something plural? Could you please share your thoughts and guidance here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
@veritasKarishma can u please help with this question. Isnt "not the least of which" represent the subgroup modifier, and the entity being modified here is the obstacles and hence the corresponding verb should be plural and not singular.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts