GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 506
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 01:25
5
25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:10) correct 52% (01:12) wrong based on 865 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

(A) Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

(B) Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that causes digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans and other mammals, and in birds.

(C) Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

(D) Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

(E) Arteriviruses, a genus of microorganisms, cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/opinion/the-next-pandemic-is-closer-than-you-think.html

Coronaviruses are a genus of bugs that cause respiratory and gastrointestinal infections, sometimes mild and sometimes fierce, in humans, other mammals and birds. They became infamous by association in 2003 because the agent for severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, is a coronavirus. That one emerged suddenly in southern China, passed from person to person and from Guangzhou to Hong Kong, then went swiftly onward by airplane to Toronto, Singapore and elsewhere. Eventually it sickened about 8,000 people, of whom nearly 10 percent died. If not for fast scientific work to identify the virus and rigorous public health measures to contain it, the total case count and death toll could have been much higher.

_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4523
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 19:47
3
2
Instead of going in tits and bits, let’s look at it in totality and use POE for eliminating as many wrong ones as possible.

1. The prepositional parallelism of ‘in’ is not maintained in B, C and E. We are left with A and D.

In D, the restrictive pronoun ‘that’ limits the coverage to just respiratory infections and leaves out digestive ailments, whereas by virtue of the parenthetical element, in A, both digestive and respiratory ailments are covered. Even if the parenthesis is dropped, it doesn’t matter.

So A is the best.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 648
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 01:45
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

A)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.
B)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that causes digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans and other mammals, and in birds.
C)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.
D)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.
E)Arteriviruses, a genus of microorganisms, cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.



Can you please explain what is wrong with D?
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 416
Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 02:17
2
Hi KS15,

Option D: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

If you notice, the "which" relative pronoun is not at all required in the above sentence. The reason:there are two relative pronouns "which" and "that" in the same clause.kind of like a run-on.: which causes X that causes Y.

Option A: ", sometimes benign and sometimes severe" is a non-defining clause which can be completely omitted and still the sentence makes complete sense.

Option A corrects the error of D.

Regards,
Dom.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 648
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 02:23
1
dominicraj wrote:
Hi KS15,

Option D: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

If you notice, the "which" relative pronoun is not at all required in the above sentence. The reason:there are two relative pronouns "which" and "that" in the same clause.kind of like a run-on.: which causes X that causes Y.

Option A: ", sometimes benign and sometimes severe" is a non-defining clause which can be completely omitted and still the sentence makes complete sense.

Option A corrects the error of D.

Regards,
Dom.


Hi Dom,

Thanks for explaining. But is it a rule that 'which and that' can't be used in the same sentence? I have not seen this anywhere. Also, it is not which causes X that causes Y. If you read the sentence carefully it says something else.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 24
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 02:32
1
A works for me. The reason why I removed D is that when i removed the modifer clause, the sentence didnt make sense at all. The "which" brings in non-restrictive clause which can be removed without alterning the meaning of the sentence, so if we remove the which from D, it looks like "Arterieviruses are ...... in humans..." . This looks completely non-sensical as these viruses dont exist in humans but affect humans. I hope you get the point behind D elimination.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 506
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 02:41
Dear KS15

Dominic Raj has correctly explained the situation at hand.
There is no such rule as which and that cant co-exist.
The rule is Which just gives additional info , whereas that gives necessary info.(Check out mgmat sc book)

The concept this question tests is quite apparent , the difference between That and which

Does this all make sense?
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 648
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 03:02
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Dear KS15

Dominic Raj has correctly explained the situation at hand.
There is no such rule as which and that cant co-exist.
The rule is Which just gives additional info , whereas that gives necessary info.(Check out mgmat sc book)

The concept this question tests is quite apparent , the difference between That and which

Does this all make sense?



Hi Waterflowsup,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the which and that rules that mgmat sc has. But, I am not able to understand what you/Dom mean here. In D, which is used as a non essential modifier along with a comma and this is a correct usage. Also, D says that it is the infections that are benign whereas in A, even though it uses that correctly as an essential modifier, it does not clearly mention what is benign etc.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 64
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 06:28
1
KS15 wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Dear KS15

Dominic Raj has correctly explained the situation at hand.
There is no such rule as which and that cant co-exist.
The rule is Which just gives additional info , whereas that gives necessary info.(Check out mgmat sc book)

The concept this question tests is quite apparent , the difference between That and which

Does this all make sense?



Hi Waterflowsup,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the which and that rules that mgmat sc has. But, I am not able to understand what you/Dom mean here. In D, which is used as a non essential modifier along with a comma and this is a correct usage. Also, D says that it is the infections that are benign whereas in A, even though it uses that correctly as an essential modifier, it does not clearly mention what is benign etc.


Hi KS15,

I eliminated D for another reason altogether. Hopefully this can help you. Consider the below with option D
Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

If you remove the modifier clause, you get a sentence which makes no sense at all. The sentence does not intend to say that Arteriviruses are present in humans, other mammals, and birds; but it intends to say that Arteriviruses causes digestive and respiratory infections in them.

Hope this helps!
_________________

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 64
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 04:44
2
noTh1ng wrote:
Whats the matter with C?


Hi,

Consider Option C as below:

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

Here, the pronoun "that" is used to refer to 2 different items:
- genus of microorganisms
- digestive and respiratory infections

However, as a rule, a pronoun can only refer to one and only one antecedent. Hence this choice is eliminated for pronoun error.


Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
_________________

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Schools: MBS '18
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 05:25
sagar2911 wrote:
noTh1ng wrote:
Whats the matter with C?


Hi,

Consider Option C as below:

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

Here, the pronoun "that" is used to refer to 2 different items:
- genus of microorganisms
- digestive and respiratory infections

However, as a rule, a pronoun can only refer to one and only one antecedent. Hence this choice is eliminated for pronoun error.


Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.


if the above analysis true what about that?? Does the first that does not refer to microorganisms and the second that refer to infections?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 64
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 06:29
1
pictureperfect wrote:
sagar2911 wrote:
noTh1ng wrote:
Whats the matter with C?


Hi,

Consider Option C as below:

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

Here, the pronoun "that" is used to refer to 2 different items:
- genus of microorganisms
- digestive and respiratory infections

However, as a rule, a pronoun can only refer to one and only one antecedent. Hence this choice is eliminated for pronoun error.


Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.


if the above analysis true what about that?? Does the first that does not refer to microorganisms and the second that refer to infections?


Correct, the first that refers to genus of microorganisms and the second that refers to digestive and respiratory infections.
The point I am trying to make is that you cannot use the same pronoun in a sentence to refer to 2 different items. You should use different pronouns to refer to different antecedents.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
_________________

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2015
Posts: 176
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 07:21
sagar2911 wrote:
pictureperfect wrote:
sagar2911 wrote:

Hi,

Consider Option C as below:

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

Here, the pronoun "that" is used to refer to 2 different items:
- genus of microorganisms
- digestive and respiratory infections

However, as a rule, a pronoun can only refer to one and only one antecedent. Hence this choice is eliminated for pronoun error.


Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.


if the above analysis true what about that?? Does the first that does not refer to microorganisms and the second that refer to infections?


Correct, the first that refers to genus of microorganisms and the second that refers to digestive and respiratory infections.
The point I am trying to make is that you cannot use the same pronoun in a sentence to refer to 2 different items. You should use different pronouns to refer to different antecedents.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.


thanks, thats exactly what i was also wondering about. You say "you should use different pronouns", does that mean I have to or is it just better to do so?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 64
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 05:47
noTh1ng wrote:



thanks, thats exactly what i was also wondering about. You say "you should use different pronouns", does that mean I have to or is it just better to do so?


You have to and its better to do so. It is a rule, and GMAT strictly follows all the rules :)
_________________

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 57
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 22:25
Can someone explain what is wrong with option E ? Is it the "In birds vs Birds" at the end of sentence ?

Regards.
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 416
Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 23:30
2
2
Hi,

Parallelism is lost.

in X, Y and Z (or) in X, in Y and in Z is correct.

Regards,
Dom.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 57
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 23:43
Thank you dominicraj for confirming that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 300
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 15:07
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

Parallelism is lost.

in X, Y and Z (or) in X, in Y and in Z is correct.

Regards,
Dom.



Hi Dom,

Correctly said but just for food for thought IF in option E the above anomaly be fixed , wouldn't it be the better choice than A.

Please let me know If I am wrong here

I missed the last part and marked E as answer
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 14:04
In the original sentence, "that" refers to "a genus of microorganisms" and not to "microorganisms". Hence "that" refers to a singular subject "a genus". So the verb "cause" in the "that" dependent clause should also be singular and hence "causes". So the correct option, or in this case, the best option should be B.

If someone has a better explanation, please share.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2015
Posts: 93
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 19:41
1
Basic split is between Correct parallelism in ending and Not Correct. Either it should be in humans, other mammals, and birds OR it should be in humans, in other mammals, and in birds.

WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

A)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds. - Correct because the modifiers are more clear and straight forward.
B)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that causes digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans and other mammals, and in birds. - Incorrect parallelism
C)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.- Incorrect parallelism
D)Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds. - Which is referring to genus (because if it was referring to microorganism it should be THAT.
E)Arteriviruses, a genus of microorganisms, cause digestive and respiratory infections, sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds - Incorrect parallelism.
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and &nbs [#permalink] 07 Dec 2015, 19:41

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 32 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.