Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Physician leader uses MBA skills to transform the patient-provider exp [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Physician leader uses MBA skills to transform the patient-provider experiences
As Chief of Hospital Medicine for Oklahoma City-based INTEGRIS Medical Group, Kate Mansalis, MD, EMBA 18, treats patients, leads physicians, and strengthens patient-provider relationships. She uses the skills and business savvy gained in theBerkeley MBA for Executives program to continuously improve her part of the healthcare landscape.

What attracted you to working in healthcare?
I’m drawn to two things about it. One, I’m a lifelong learner, and working in healthcare requires you to continue learning to stay on top of your game. Two, it’s a service-oriented field. From my military service to working in healthcare, I’ve always been interested in helping others. If I wasn’t doing this, I’d be working in another form of service.

Why did you want to move from being an individual contributor to a leadership role?
Healthcare is a big ecosystem of policies, procedures, and strategies. Often the rules and regulations that affect how we do our jobs are generated by people without a clinical background. Without good clinical leadership, we can lose sight of the fact that there is a patient at the center of any changes we make. Our industry is changing so much, and I believe we need more leadership from physicians and nurses to steer it in the right direction.

What challenges do physicians face when moving into leadership?
As a physician you’re accustomed to playing the short game. You make a change—either a patient medication or procedure—and very soon afterward, you see a result. The challenge of moving into a leadership position is that your mindset has to shift to the long game. Tactics and strategies you implement today may not produce results for months.

Another challenge is that the soft skills vital to being a good leader are not modeled in medical school. Many physicians were trained in the era of  ‘the doctor is the boss.’ That doesn’t work when you’re leading a group of sentient adults who have opinions of their own. Healthcare is becoming more of a team model where soft skills such as communication and change management are needed.

Which Haascourses and faculty helped to prepare you for the work you do now?
Healthcare is becoming an increasingly data-driven field as we move toward evidence-based medicine. Data and Decisions, taught byLucas Davis, showed me how to interpret the data that comes out of the daily operational analysis of our system.

Peter Goodson’s class, Turnarounds: Effective Leadership in Crisis, covered strategy, operations, and finance. Outside of my clinical work, those are the three areas where I spend most of my time—developing strategy, observing our system operations, and evaluating budgets and then using that finance background to develop business plans around service lines.

WhatCareer Management Group services helped you achieve your goals?
Luke Kreinberg helped us explore what was important to us and what opportunities were available based on our interests and backgrounds. He connected me with career counselor Joni Minault, who helped me identify my perfect job. When interviewing for the position I’m in now, I had reservations about it. Joni helped me realize that this was the job I had wanted to do. That helped me feel more confident about my decision.

How are you working to improve the patient-provider relationship?
I manage a group of hospitalists, which are general internists who see only patients admitted to the hospital. One hospitalist may have patients on six different floors. That requires interacting with a variety of nurses, care managers, and other members of the healthcare team. So we’ve started unit-based rounding, which places one physician, one nurse, and one care manager in a single unit that tends to the same patients. That team is then able to provide more continuity for patients and their families, as well as the bedside nursing staff. It’s really improved communication within the care team and made a difference in efficiency and the provider-patient experience. We’ve been doing this for about six months, and we’re already seeing an increase in patient satisfaction scores.

How has your son Connor’s rare genetic disorder informed your view of the patient side of care?
It’s shown me the vulnerability experienced by someone reliant on a broken and fragmented system. Connor has all his care in one network, but there’s still no streamlined process to get care when he needs it without jumping through hoops involving insurance, scheduling, and coverage changes. My husband and I are physicians, so we can just text someone if Connor urgently needs to see a pediatric neurologist. Without our professional connections, we probably would have to go to the ER and have him admitted to the hospital or wait weeks to months to get an appointment. That’s just criminal in my mind. We also have the financial resources to pay for his therapy. But, for many patients, that would be nearly impossible.

What advice do you have for those seeking to be physician leaders?
I think you need a solid clinical background and experience in order to have a true understanding of the system and the caregivers you will lead. Establish yourself in that first. There’s also the need for an advanced degree. I chose an MBA because I wanted to step back from the healthcare system to see what the rest of industry was doing to solve their problems.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Physician leader uses MBA skills to transform the patient-provider exp [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Physician leader uses MBA skills to transform the patient-provider experience
As Chief of Hospital Medicine for Oklahoma City-based INTEGRIS Medical Group, Kate Mansalis, MD, EMBA 18, treats patients, leads physicians, and strengthens patient-provider relationships. She uses the skills and business savvy gained in theBerkeley MBA for Executives program to continuously improve her part of the healthcare landscape.

What attracted you to working in healthcare?
I’m drawn to two things about it. One, I’m a lifelong learner, and working in healthcare requires you to continue learning to stay on top of your game. Two, it’s a service-oriented field. From my military service to working in healthcare, I’ve always been interested in helping others. If I wasn’t doing this, I’d be working in another form of service.

Why did you want to move from being an individual contributor to a leadership role?
Healthcare is a big ecosystem of policies, procedures, and strategies. Often the rules and regulations that affect how we do our jobs are generated by people without a clinical background. Without good clinical leadership, we can lose sight of the fact that there is a patient at the center of any changes we make. Our industry is changing so much, and I believe we need more leadership from physicians and nurses to steer it in the right direction.

What challenges do physicians face when moving into leadership?
As a physician you’re accustomed to playing the short game. You make a change—either a patient medication or procedure—and very soon afterward, you see a result. The challenge of moving into a leadership position is that your mindset has to shift to the long game. Tactics and strategies you implement today may not produce results for months.

Another challenge is that the soft skills vital to being a good leader are not modeled in medical school. Many physicians were trained in the era of  ‘the doctor is the boss.’ That doesn’t work when you’re leading a group of sentient adults who have opinions of their own. Healthcare is becoming more of a team model where soft skills such as communication and change management are needed.

Which Haascourses and faculty helped to prepare you for the work you do now?
Healthcare is becoming an increasingly data-driven field as we move toward evidence-based medicine. Data and Decisions, taught byLucas Davis, showed me how to interpret the data that comes out of the daily operational analysis of our system.

Peter Goodson’s class, Turnarounds: Effective Leadership in Crisis, covered strategy, operations, and finance. Outside of my clinical work, those are the three areas where I spend most of my time—developing strategy, observing our system operations, and evaluating budgets and then using that finance background to develop business plans around service lines.

WhatCareer Management Group services helped you achieve your goals?
Luke Kreinberg helped us explore what was important to us and what opportunities were available based on our interests and backgrounds. He connected me with career counselor Joni Minault, who helped me identify my perfect job. When interviewing for the position I’m in now, I had reservations about it. Joni helped me realize that this was the job I had wanted to do. That helped me feel more confident about my decision.

How are you working to improve the patient-provider relationship?
I manage a group of hospitalists, which are general internists who see only patients admitted to the hospital. One hospitalist may have patients on six different floors. That requires interacting with a variety of nurses, care managers, and other members of the healthcare team. So we’ve started unit-based rounding, which places one physician, one nurse, and one care manager in a single unit that tends to the same patients. That team is then able to provide more continuity for patients and their families, as well as the bedside nursing staff. It’s really improved communication within the care team and made a difference in efficiency and the provider-patient experience. We’ve been doing this for about six months, and we’re already seeing an increase in patient satisfaction scores.

How has your son Connor’s rare genetic disorder informed your view of the patient side of care?
It’s shown me the vulnerability experienced by someone reliant on a broken and fragmented system. Connor has all his care in one network, but there’s still no streamlined process to get care when he needs it without jumping through hoops involving insurance, scheduling, and coverage changes. My husband and I are physicians, so we can just text someone if Connor urgently needs to see a pediatric neurologist. Without our professional connections, we probably would have to go to the ER and have him admitted to the hospital or wait weeks to months to get an appointment. That’s just criminal in my mind. We also have the financial resources to pay for his therapy. But, for many patients, that would be nearly impossible.

What advice do you have for those seeking to be physician leaders?
I think you need a solid clinical background and experience in order to have a true understanding of the system and the caregivers you will lead. Establish yourself in that first. There’s also the need for an advanced degree. I chose an MBA because I wanted to step back from the healthcare system to see what the rest of industry was doing to solve their problems.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Confidence without attitude: how women lead at Haas [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Confidence without attitude: how women lead at Haas
In late 2019, Business Insider reported on Kohl’s joining an “exclusive club” of Fortune 500 companies with females in both the CEO (Michelle Gass) and CFO (Jill Timm) roles. Only General Motors and Williams-Sonoma can also make this claim. The trend is not so rare at Haas and Berkeley, however.

Haas’ Dean, Ann Harrison; Chief Strategy and Operating Officer, Courtney Chandler, MBA 96; CFO, Delphine Sherman, MBA 06; and Chair of the Faculty, Catherine Wolfram, are all female, as are UC Berkeley’s Chancellor, Carol Christ, and CFO, Rosemarie Rae. Not to mention UC President Janet Napolitano.

Among the top 15 business schools nationwide, none have women in this number of key leadership roles. Two—Kellogg and Wharton—have female deans, and a handful have women in a CFO or similar role.

Dean Ann Harrison says she did a tremendous amount of homework before accepting the position. “I talked to a lot of other deans and got a strong sense of what I’d be doing, so there were no big surprises,” she says. “One of the things I was told over and over again is that being an academic leader requires a lot of grit.”

While that is true, Dean Harrison has been delighted at how much she has been able to move the needle on some of her planned goals in her first year. “Berkeley’s very much a shared governance place, so you would think it might take a long time to get things done,” she says. “In fact, one can get things done here fairly quickly. That’s been a really great thing.” She attributes the quick movement, in part, to the incredible staff at Haas: “We have this incredible staff where people truly go beyond themselves.”

Chief Strategy and Operating Officer, Courtney Chandler says her time at Haas has taught her that careers aren’t linear, and you have to make choices that create opportunity. She’s referring to the risk she took when she stepped into her previous role back in 2014, leading the Evening & Weekend MBA program office during a time of huge disruption. She received some of the best advice during that time: take on the jobs and projects no one else wants.

“It was tough but rewarding work. It often felt like building a plane while flying it,” she says. It taught her she didn’t need to have all the answers to take on bigger leadership roles. “I relied on a lot of people to provide information and learned to come with solutions, not problems.” She credits that role for getting her to where she is today. It also taught her to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Courtney says the most rewarding part of her current role—where she’s been for three years now—has been watching decisions she’s made positively impact others—whether it be students, faculty or staff. “It’s also been satisfying to solve really tough problems that almost seemed unsolvable,” she adds.

Take that next role and trust you'll figure it out."

The biggest challenge has been knowing there’s always more to be done. She cites some advice she received from past dean, Laura Tyson: don’t let great get in the way of good. “Sometimes we need to think that way,” Courtney says. “Don’t get trapped in trying to make a solution too perfect. Sometimes you need to try things and then iterate and adapt.”

When asked if it’s important for women to serve as mentors for other women, Dean Harrison says it’s critical. “You think you can’t do it until you see somebody who looks like you doing it.” She also emphasizes the importance of finding diverse role models, which Courtney agrees with. “I approach it more as a board of mentors rather than one-on-one relationships. Your most diverse group of mentors is your best bet,” Courtney says. “I also think there’s a lot you can gain from people who are junior to you, equal to you.”

Dean Harrison’s advice for finding these mentors: “Be more aggressive, speak up, lean in, don’t be afraid, never give up.”

Courtney’s advice to women aspiring to high-level leadership: “Take that next role and trust you’ll figure it out. Women are too hard on themselves. Too often they wait to acquire all the presumed or listed skills and experience needed for that next step in their career. I say don’t wait, and instead look at the experience and skills you do have and think about how they can be viewed as transferable skills.”

Director
Director
Send PM
Award-winning professor shares his thoughts on teaching [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Award-winning professor shares his thoughts on teaching
Enthusiasm, listening and drawing students into participating in class are keys to becoming a successful teacher, says Professor Lucas Davis, winner of the Cheit Award for Teaching Excellence in the Berkeley Haas MBA for Executives program.

What does it take to make a good teacher? 
Teaching is a continual challenge and I’m always trying to improve. I’ve found the classroom works best when everyone participates, so I’m always trying to find new ways to encourage that. If students are naturally quieter, I encourage them to step up and come more out of their comfort zones. If they’re more inclined to participate, then sometimes they need to step back and listen more. It breaks my heart, but at the end of every class I go through the list of students and note there are always a few who didn’t participate.

Also, you have to be enthusiastic about your material, and I have great enthusiasm for statistics. Every day I try to find something about the material that I’m excited about, and I’m not shy about expressing it. Sometimes you think you’re going overboard. You have to step back and encourage others because I think the best moments in the classroom are when you’re not talking. When it works it’s really magical.

How do you like teaching MBA students?
I love teaching MBA students. The EMBA students are a particular treat. I’ve had attorneys, doctors, CEOs—amazing people. Here they are coming back to school. Many of these people haven’t had statistics in a decade. They’ve faced a choice. They could say, "I’m already successful, I’m a doctor, I’ve got a career. Why do I need to question the status quo, why embrace learning?" I think it could go either way. Those who come make a choice to commit to the experience, revisit their beliefs, and listen to one another. 

And I think there is something about Berkeley Haas. Our former dean, Rich Lyons, established our defining leadership principles. One is Confidence Without Attitude, and that really resonates here. There is a humility about Berkeley students. Also, this is a public university where another defining principle, Question the Status Quo, is part of its tradition.

You’re an economist. What’s the hardest economic concept for MBA students to grasp?
A key idea students struggle with is thinking on the margin. Whenever you face a question of how many—like how many years of schooling should I get, or how many units of this product should I produce, or how many drinks should I have at happy hour—people tend to focus first on a number. Instead, economists think about the marginal costs and benefits. Like kindergarten—the marginal benefit is huge, while the cost is minimal. Or look at happy hour. That first drink tastes delicious, loosens you up a bit, and doesn’t cost much at happy-hour pricing. And there’s no hangover. But what about that second or third drink? What are the marginal costs and benefits of those? This is how economists solve virtually all problems when they center on a question of “how many.”

You teach courses in data analysis and decision-making. How are those important to executives?
Historically, most firms haven’t used a lot of data analysis. Most decisions were made by experts, people with a lot of experience who understood the markets they worked in. They know a lot and make decisions based on experience, instinct and their gut. But industry across industry, we are in the middle of a revolution in which decisions are getting made less by experts and more through data analysis. It’s less about what experts think and more about what the data tells them. Right now we have more and more data, but the limiting power is the ability of managers to know how to use that data—to ask the right questions and understand the power of the techniques of data analysis. 

Any teaching techniques you’d like to share?
Particularly now with COVID-19, everyone is excited about flipping the classroom. This means moving some of the theory and core material outside of the classroom through videos or stream casts. If you do that, it opens the class time for more interactive activities. If I’ve prepared a video lecture, students can access it at their own convenience. They can slow it down and repeat if they need to, or speed it up if they get bored. The idea is that when students come to class they’ve already been introduced to the core theory. This gives more time for in-class exercises and participation where they can apply the knowledge. The pedagogy is better.

Read more from the Take 5 with a professor series:

Director
Director
Send PM
Haas hooks EWMBA alum up to a career in sustainable food [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Haas hooks EWMBA alum up to a career in sustainable food
When it comes to innovation in the sustainable food arena, Ashley Kleckner, MBA 15, and head of global enterprise sales at Impossible Foods, doesn't want to make a little splash. She wants to make a big impact.

"Before I arrived at Impossible Foods I had never worked in the commercialization or tech spheres, but I was super-passionate about sustainability in food and frustrated by the apathy I saw in the food industry around the issue," she says. "I wanted to move the needle in big ways, to be part of innovation that I wasn't seeing at the time–and Haas helped me do that."

For someone like Ashley who's driven to make change, Impossible Foods is a good place to be. Established in 2011, the company seeks to revolutionize what we eat by making "meat" out of plants, using a molecule called heme. Heme is the building block of animal protein–it's what gives meat its satisfying taste–and is found not only in animals but also in some plants. The company owns a patent to use fermentation to produce heme from plants on a larger scale, Ashley says.

The firm's market strategy has been to launch its product in partnership with high-visibility chefs like David Chang of Momofuku in New York City, rather than going directly to grocery stores. The Impossible Burger is now available in more than 15,000 restaurants across the U.S., according to Ashley.

"We want to tell the story of what Impossible Foods is capable of rather than launching just another veggie burger, and we can do that with these partnerships," she says.

It's not surprising that Ashley's career has arced toward the food industry since she grew up in a Southern California family passionate about nature, good food, and green values.

"Sustainability and caring for our planet were always important to my parents, and they communicated that to us," she says. "They also taught us about California's unique gifts and challenges. Living here, you're exposed not only to abundant food and dramatic natural beauty, but also the ugliness of food production and natural difficulties like drought. Being able to work toward sustainability at Impossible Foods is a dream come true for me."

Before enrolling in the part-time MBA program, Ashley earned an undergraduate degree in mass communications at UC Berkeley and established a robust career in marketing, holding positions at advertising firm Ketchum and consulting firm Culinary Edge. Her initial plan for pursuing the MBA was to round out her business skills. She started the evening and weekend program in 2012 and graduated in 2015.

Not only was the evening and weekend program a perfect fit, allowing her to continue working while she studied for her degree, it also offered a direct line to her current position. In 2014 she participated in the Haas@Work experiential learning course, which connects student teams to business clients to solve a particular challenge the company is facing. Ashley's team worked with PayPal, and the experience resulted in Ashley landing a position at that company as global consumer products manager. At PayPal, Ashley met Dana Worth, now Impossible Foods' head of foodservice sales; a year later he invited her to join the company, where they brought the first product to market and executed the national rollout. 

"I wouldn't have gotten the job at PayPal without the Haas@Work experience, and I certainly wouldn't have met Dana," she says. 

As well as Haas@Work, Ashley cites the school's Defining Leadership Principles as key to her career development.

"I went into Haas thinking I needed 'hard skills' – and yes, those are helpful," Ashley says. "I got some great education in areas like finance that I hadn't been exposed to before. But what I lean on most in my work are the Defining Leadership Principles. They have this almost protective quality, allowing me to stay grounded in the midst of working at a super intense, mission-driven company."

Director
Director
Send PM
The MBA from the eyes of a hiring manager at Goldman Sachs [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: The MBA from the eyes of a hiring manager at Goldman Sachs
If you dream of working in investment banking, you would do well to devote some of your waking hours to applying to a highly ranked business school, according to recruiters interviewed by US News & World Report for an article in October 2019.

Fifteen percent of the Berkeley Haas class of 2019 sought and found jobs in the financial services sector, some of them with investment banks like Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Barclays, or Credit Suisse. Overall, the median starting base salary for 2019 Haas grads in the financial services sector was $150,000. 

The posts in this occasional series highlight some of the employers whose relationships with Berkeley Haas run deep and strong. Hiring managers will share insights into the skills and traits they look for when interviewing for interns and MBA hires. 

Goldman Sachs is a leading global investment bank that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base including corporations, financial institutions, governments, and individuals.  

Nils Hellmer, MBA 15, is an executive director in Goldman’s Investment Banking Division. He specializes in M&A advisory in the technology sector, a role that sees him helping companies on takeovers, mergers, and some of their most important strategic decisions. As his workload allows—we caught up with him on his return to San Francisco after a “day trip to London.” Since graduating from Berkeley Haas, he has actively participated in Goldman’s recruiting efforts at the school.

Answers have been condensed for brevity and clarity.

What does Goldman Sachs look for when recruiting MBA candidates?
It’s really hard to generalize because each individual candidate is unique. We hire people, not stereotypes. The more diverse a team is, the better. An individual’s viewpoints are shaped by their origins and experience. Diversity—in all of its aspects—is essential here.

That being said, if I had to name one characteristic we look for, it is being a team player. We have a very flat organization here at Goldman. It’s very common for me to find myself in a room with analysts, associates, and managing directors all brainstorming to solve an issue, so being a great team player matters. 

What makes an MBA candidate stand out from the crowd?
I always want to see two things. First, and most important, I want to see your drive. One thing we all have in common at Goldman Sachs is that we are super motivated about what we do. Show me that you are interviewing because you really want to work here. You can do that through your understanding of our company and what distinguishes Goldman Sachs from others. Do your homework and be able to talk about what’s going on in investment banking in the moment: What deals is Goldman working on? Why is company X hiring investment bankers? 

Then I look for indications that you have strong skills in areas like communication and collaboration—that you would be a good addition to our team. When I was in the full-time MBA program, I found that Berkeley Haas was very good at getting me out of my ‘finance bubble’ and exposing me to different viewpoints. For example, I was the only finance person in my study group, and I found that challenged a lot of my ideas. It helped me form arguments and present my ideas persuasively. That built my leadership skills in a team context and is something I rely on in my post-MBA career.

Basic technical skills like finance and mathematics actually are check-box items, and while critical requirements, are not as interesting in assessing a candidate.

How would you describe the Goldman Sachs culture?
After starting here, I was so struck by the overlap of Goldman Sachs’ culture and the Haas Defining Leadership Principles that I actually wrote a letter to then-Dean Richard Lyons commenting on it. 

Beyond Yourself is clearly seen in our focus on teamwork on every level. Because each client project is different, we are always Questioning the Status Quo, seeking out the nuances in a deal and seeking to improve the outcome for our clients. 

Working with the tech industry, I’m a Student Always because the landscape is constantly changing through things like technological innovation or market-driving events that impact my clients. You have to be a student of what you’ve already learned to continue to succeed. 

Here at Goldman Sachs, I get to work with people who have 20-plus years of banking experience, and I’m always struck by their Confidence Without Attitude. They are humble and approachable—exactly the kind of person I aspire to be. 

Why does Goldman recruit at Haas?
It sounds like a cliché, but it is true that our people are our greatest asset. We don’t have an algorithm for our product; our ability to serve clients with the best advice depends on all of us, individually and as team members, doing our best. Berkeley graduates come well prepared and as a result it is one of our top San Francisco hiring schools. We have a strong representation of alums from junior analysts all the way up to the global head of Technology, Media, and Telecommunication. 

I always enjoy going back to campus to recruit as it reminds me of when I was in the students’ shoes: sweating through the interview process, determined to do my best, and knowing that I had—still have—the support of my classmates. 

What career advice would you give an MBA student?
When deciding on your career path, be honest with yourself and listen to your inner voice. Only when you’re true to yourself can you have a career with impact. 

And while you’re in your MBA program, enjoy it!

Read more from the From the eyes of a hiring manager series:
Director
Director
Send PM
From retail wine to Big Tech: Executive MBA spurs alumna’s career pivo [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: From retail wine to Big Tech: Executive MBA spurs alumna’s career pivot
Berkeley MBA for Executives graduate Molly Zucker Carson, EMBA 19, attended Haas to grow her business and leadership skills. She planned to apply her new abilities to her work as director of the online auction division of her family’s retail company, K&L Wine Merchants.

Instead, her academic journey led to a program manager opportunity via The Adecco Group with Google’s Go-to-Market team.

Why did you choose Berkeley Haas over other business schools?
I was an unconventional MBA candidate. Yet it felt like Haas celebrated diversity in background and experience and that my uniqueness would be an asset rather than something to hide. The Defining Leadership Principles also intrigued me, particularly Question the Status Quo. I’ve always been someone who incessantly asked why and pushed boundaries. 

How did the Haas network help you on your journey?
Jeff Decker, MBA 17, was my biggest supporter. We had attended UC Berkeley together as undergrads. After graduation, he went into the culinary world, so it felt like we were kindred spirits. Jeff was incredibly generous with his time and spoke about the quality of the people in the MBA program. He also helped me combat imposter syndrome. He reflected this idea that you don’t have to work at a big tech company or startup to be embraced in the MBA world. A background in hospitality or food and wine was just as respectable.

Which courses, immersions, and faculty influenced you most?
Innovation and Design Thinking, taught by Sara Beckman, showed me how to dig down to a problem’s root cause. And that it’s okay to be wild and crazy with your ideas because there’s a kernel of genius in them. 

Peter Goodson’s Turnarounds: Effective Leadership in Crisis class was the best simulation I had for what leaders in crisis must consider to bring the best out in their team using available resources, with limited time and money. It’s an especially relevant skill set in this time of COVID-19 where businesses are dealing with extreme circumstances and figuring out how to save their companies. 

What role did Haas play in your decision to leap from retail wine to tech?
Breaking away from my family business was not an easy decision. My team and I had built something very successful, and I was proud to be part of that. Plus, launching K&L’s online auction division revealed business instincts I hadn’t tapped into yet. But after eight years, I got to a place where I felt unable to take our business to the next level and was hungry to learn more.

Growing up in the Bay Area, I was privy to the tech boom but felt like an outsider. Haas opened my eyes to that world. The Silicon Valley immersion was very pivotal for me. Every business I looked at had some principles of innovation and technology that could be applied to retail or a direct-to-consumer business.

K&L has been such a privilege, but I thought I’d be a better leader if I broadened my scope and explored new experiences and technology. Haas gave me the confidence to do that, along with the network to make this pivot possible—most notably, my fellow alumna and Google senior program manager, Sara Davis, EMBA 19.

For me, getting exposure at Google is an open-ended opportunity to dive into the deep end of one of the most innovative and respected technology companies in the world. 

How has your Haas experience transformed you as a leader?
When you’re a leader in a company, you have a certain amount of status. So it can be hard to admit that you’re struggling or don’t understand something. Haas helped me get past that. I wouldn’t say it was an immediate transformation. It took some soul-searching and moments of picking my confidence off of the floor, but I felt surrounded by folks that really wanted to support me and help me learn. I’m now so much more open and no longer frightened of not being the expert in the room. 

What advice do you have for others deciding whether to pursue a Berkeley MBA?
I would say to any females considering business school that, at Haas, you’ll be in the company of strong women who will embolden and strengthen you. If you’re someone who doesn’t see yourself as an MBA candidate because you have an unconventional background, realize there is a place for you at Haas. It’s a world-renowned institution that will value your diversity, perspective, and opinions.

Director
Director
Send PM
The online GMAT/GRE/EA: what to expect and how to succeed [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: The online GMAT/GRE/EA: what to expect and how to succeed
Prospective MBA students who have been unable to take in-person admissions exams due to the COVID-19 pandemic can now take all three tests at home.

GRE at-home test-takers have been able to take the exam since March 27, and GMAT online test-takers have been able to take the exam since April 20. Registration for the Executive Assessment online test has now opened, and testers will be able to tackle it starting Tuesday, May 5.

Here at Berkeley Haas, our full-time MBA program will accept the online GMAT or GRE. The evening & weekend MBA program will accept the online GMAT or GRE—or the online Executive Assessment as long as you have 8 or more years of work experience. The Executive MBA program will accept any of the three.

Many prospective MBAs have expressed concerns about taking the exams online. There are certainly pros and cons to the situation. While some may be more comfortable taking the exams in an environment that feels familiar to them, others are nervous about all the changes that come with taking the tests online.

Keep in mind that it’s a curved test. You’re still competing against other people who are dealing with these same disadvantages."

Keep reading for a more in-depth side-by-side comparison of the three at-home exams, as well as some tips to help you prepare.

The most notable differences between the online GRE, GMAT, and Executive Assessment
  • A nice perk of the online GMAT is its shorter length. The test is over an hour shorter than the at-home GRE because the analytical writing section has been dropped. The Graduate Management Admission Council chose to cut it to get the test to market faster.

The online Executive Assessment—while more costly—is the shortest of the three at 90 minutes.

• The most common complaint about the online GMAT is that testers are not allowed to use a physical whiteboard with an erasable marker or paper with a transparent sheet protector and erasable marker which are allowed for the GRE online exam.

Instead, they must use a virtual whiteboard with a mouse (trackpads and styluses are forbidden)—which could be worrisome since mouse drawing is slower and more difficult than using pen and paper. The Executive Assessment has the same virtual whiteboard requirement.

• Another bonus of the GRE is that students who take it get an immediate score preview at the end of the test—with the exception of the analytical writing component. This allows test-takers to cancel their scores immediately after taking the test if they wish.

Both the at-home GMAT and Executive Assessment exams do not allow testers to preview or cancel their scores. However, with the Executive Assessment, test-takers can wait until after receiving their scores to send results to schools, which allows them to opt out if they scored lower than anticipated.
Tips to prepare for the at-home GRE, GMAT, or Executive Assessment
Change the way you practice for the exams
If you find it harder to focus when you’re at home, try to trick yourself into feeling like you’re not at home. Make your space feel more foreign, more sterile, like a workplace. Experiment before the test, and try different things out to see what works.

One major difference of the online GMAT is that it doesn’t allow you to select your section order. It’s fixed: quant then verbal then integrative reasoning with no analytical writing section. Make sure you’re practicing in that order.

If you plan to take the online GMAT or EA, stop using scratch paper. Practice using an online whiteboard. Get used to doing online scratch work.

Professional test-taker Stacey Koprince, content and curriculum lead at Manhattan Prep, provided insight into how to successfully use the GMAT's online whiteboard tool after trying the at-home test herself. “My whiteboard practice ahead of time actually worked,” Koprince says. She estimates spending up to seven hours with a similar tool recreated by Manhattan Prep in advance of the test and has urged everyone who takes the at-home GMAT or EA to practice with the tool, now made available by GMAT along with a tutorial, for a minimum of one week.

“It would have been a disaster if I hadn’t practiced with the whiteboard before the test,” she concludes. “My score would have been 100 points or more lower than my typical score. If you don’t have the practice, [the virtual whiteboard] would be a huge time suck.”

And yet, Koprince also could see how the virtual whiteboard could actually be turned into an advantage of sorts. “When GMAC moved from the paper test to the computer adaptive exam, people screamed bloody murder because you now had your scratch work on the table and had to look back at the screen to solve the problem. We just reversed that with the whiteboard. It changes what you choose to write down. When you were in a test center, I found myself having to write more than I needed to. So that was an advantage I wasn’t expecting. It’s not all bad.”

Think about the quant section differently
“Don’t forget: when it comes to math, for data sufficiency questions you should almost never need to write things out. You just need to know that you can solve it. You don’t need to know what the solution is,” says Noodle Pros Founding Tutor Dan Edmonds. “Even writing equations is often a waste of time. You just need to know that you could have an equation and how many variables it would have. You don’t generally need to know what the actual equation is.”

“And a lot of problem-solving questions, you can arrive at the right answer using techniques like estimation without actually doing all of the crunching math. So one thing you might want to lean into a little harder while preparing to take [the GMAT or EA] test at home is some of those alternate ways of thinking about problems that will get you to the right answer without doing quite as much physical math.”

“I hope that they will limit the number of questions that require a lot of crunching math. [If they don’t,] keep in mind that it’s a curved test. You’re still competing against other people who are dealing with these same disadvantages,” he adds.

Side-by-side comparison of the online GRE, GMAT, and Executive Assessment

GRE At Home
GMAT Online
EA Online

First test date
March 27
April 20
May 5

Cost
$205
$200
$350

Scheduling
Appointment times around the clock on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays
Appointment times available 24/7
Appointment times available 24/7

Cancellation fee
$102.50 (up to four days before test date)
$100 (up to 24 hours before appointment)
$100 (up to 24 hours before appointment)

Reschedule fee
No fee (any time before appointment)
$25 (up to 24 hours before appointment)
No fee (up to 24 hours before appointment)

Time of test
3 hours, 45 minutes
2 hours, 37 minutes
1 hour, 30 minutes

Downtime
Optional 10-minute break away from computer after third section;
1-minute breaks between sections in front of webcam
Optional 5-minute break before final section
None

Note-taking
Notes on a whiteboard with an erasable marker or on paper with a transparent sheet protector and erasable marker
No physical whiteboard nor paper, but on a virtual whiteboard
No physical whiteboard nor paper, but on a virtual whiteboard

Quant reasoning
40 questions
over 70 minutes
31 questions
over 62 minutes
14 questions
over 30 minutes

Verbal reasoning
40 questions
over 60 minutes
30 questions
over 65 minutes
14 questions
over 30 minutes

Integrated reasoning
None
12 questions
over 30 minutes
12 questions
over 30 minutes

Analytical writing
Two tasks
over 60 minutes
None
None

Score preview
after test

Yes (with exception of analytical writing)
No
No

Cancel score
after test

Yes
No
No

Official scores
Online availability
within 10-15 days
Sent by email
within 7 days
Online availability
within 7 days

Score reports
Four as part of test fee
Five as part of test fee
Unlimited for free

Retake policy
Must wait at least 21 days; can take as many as five times
within 12 months
No retakes at this time
No retakes at this time

Test availability
Iran & mainland China excluded
Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Slovenia excluded
Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Slovenia excluded

Computer system
Windows 10, 8, or 7, or Mac with
Windows installed
Windows installed
Windows installed

Browsers
Chrome or Firefox
Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, Firefox,
Internet Explorer 11
Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, Firefox,
Internet Explorer 11

Human proctor
Yes
Yes
Yes

Accommodations for disabilities
Yes
Yes
Yes

Refreshments
None
Water in clear glass
Water in clear glass

Some prospective MBAs are concerned that they can’t cancel their online GMAT and EA scores. "Score cancellations have always been more for the comfort of the test-taker than for the schools,” says Edmonds. “Business schools are very pragmatic about your [test] scores. They just care about your highest score. They don’t care about the day that you screwed up. And they certainly don’t care about the day that you got a lower score on an online test—that has never been given before—during a global pandemic."

The only cost to it is the [money spent], but there’s no real opportunity cost here. I would strongly encourage people to at least explore the possibility of it.”

Director
Director
Send PM
Why right now is the time to apply for a Berkeley MBA [#permalink]
Bookmarks
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Why right now is the time to apply for a Berkeley MBA
At the start of 2020, innovating was something companies did to stay competitive. Now, in the midst of a global pandemic, it’s something that companies must do to survive.

Strong business leaders are sought after now more than ever to envision and shape how organizations will survive and thrive post-COVID-19. Citizens everywhere are looking for ways to keep things as normal as possible, seeking guidance, a sense of confidence, and hope. If you’ve dreamed of becoming a leader who steps up and guides others through the difficult times, an MBA can help you acquire the skills you'll need — and make you attractive to hiring managers.

Here's why you should pursue an MBA now:

The world needs strong business leadership
If the past few months have taught us anything, it’s that leaders must have a strong presence to provide a sense of continuity to employees and community members, despite disruptive events. By pursuing an MBA in the middle of an active global crisis, you will hone the skills necessary for calming your team, encouraging growth, and setting expectations during times of turmoil. This need is necessary in any time of crisis, not just COVID-19.

Learning the art of business communication
By observing the responses to COVID-19 across the world, patterns start to emerge. One is the critical need for direct and honest business communication. Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel is a great example of this in her blunt assessment of COVID-19: “This situation is serious. So take it seriously.” Judy Dempsey of Carnegie Europe says the chancellor's approach to handling COVID-19 "points the way forward to the unified, decisive response that is necessary and how democracies can best deliver it."

MBA courses like Leading People and Leadership Communication can increase your ability to speak directly and meaningfully as a leader so that people listen and respond well.

Soft skills go further
Empathy, understanding, and patience are soft skills that can differentiate good leaders from great leaders. Haas Professor Jenny Chatman says great leaders, who can encourage productivity from their team, know how to temper expectations during chaos. “People are legitimately distracted. Children are home, dogs are barking. Members of your team may not have a good internet connection. And, they are grappling with new priorities that were not a part of their job before. You have to be realistic about what people can do in a day.” Showing empathy to your team can go a long way when it comes to long-standing relationships.

Soft skills are a core component of MBA learnings. Cynthia Song, MBA 17, explains how she was able to learn the power of soft skills with an MBA. “I have grown to be a lot more assured of my own self-worth, and this cultivates a virtuous circle for wanting to achieve more – all coming from within rather than some external pressure or benchmark. Haas's four Defining Leadership Principles, especially Beyond Yourself, taught me about leadership. On multiple occasions, I saw how putting yourself last and watching out for others is actually leading.”

Consistency is key
Keep regular communication with your team so that all information can flow naturally without ringing alarm bells and your team knows what’s going on. Professor Chatman says, “Regular, predictable, and scheduled communication means that your people don’t make up the worst case scenario instead.”

While these leadership skills may seem straightforward, they aren’t easy to carry out if you’re unprepared. For example, not everyone is naturally disciplined enough to showcase consistency. These skills come more easily to those who have training in business leadership and management, which are core elements of an MBA program.

Real-time problem-solving in an active crisis
Life as we know it is changing at an unprecedented pace, which makes now a truly unique time to be in an MBA program. Not only will you learn about managing a crisis as it unfolds, but you’ll be in the perfect position to explore the myriad opportunities of a post-COVID-19 world.

For example, according to Haas professors Zsolt Katona and Thomas Lee, we have an opportunity to solve a new data crisis that COVID-19 uncovered.

The professors explain in a video responding to COVID-19, that we have newly abundant data at our fingertips that we can eventually extract business value from. So what better time than now to team up with fellow students and professors to dig deeper and learn about this data and how it relates to a global economy?

We are in a position to be on the forefront of innovation, which is incredibly exciting for Berkeley Haas and its dedication to a lifelong pursuit of personal and intellectual growth.

Learning new skills that change your perspective, technical skill set and ability to become more agile during these unprecedented times is critical: See how an MBA can help!

Be a part of positive change: you have an extra month to apply to Berkeley Haas!
The best time to develop your leadership capacity is in the moment. A silver-lining to COVID-19 is that it gives us an opportunity to take a moment to uncover areas for growth, and take steps to course correct. After all, your leadership capacity is only as good as your experience, and what will test your skills more than leading a team through a global pandemic? 

“We’re only going to get through this together. That means we are required, more than ever, to work together. Leaders should ask for help and delegate more than usual. Allow others to step up and attack problems together. Ordinary people are capable of extraordinary things, in massive amounts,” says Berkeley Haas professor Maura O’Neill.

The current microscope on management styles means now is the perfect time to address change head-on.

And now, you have more time to jump in.

The Berkeley Haas application deadlines for both the full-time MBA and evening and weekend MBA programs have been extended for an additional month to assist candidates who have been delayed in completing their applications due to issues such as inability to take the GMAT/GRE/EA/TOEFL, difficulty in obtaining letters of recommendation, or other setbacks arising during this uncertain time.

While the Executive MBA program is only accepting new applications on a case-by-case basis, in the table below, you’ll find the new deadlines for our full-time and evening and weekend programs.

Program
Deadline to Apply
Decisions from Berkeley

Full-time MBA
June 1, 2020
July 2, 2020

Evening and weekend MBA
May 26, 2020
June 24, 2020

Not such which program is the best fit? Compare Berkeley Haas MBA programs today.

Director
Director
Send PM
Kellie McElhaney talks equity fluency, courage, and vulnerability [#permalink]