Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [46]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32919 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became [#permalink]
Kudos
LucyDang wrote:
The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb, accelerated the development of the first power plant, which opened in New York City in 1882.

A. of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb,
B. of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb,
C. of Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer
D. of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison became known for his invention of the light bulb and
E. that was conducted by Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer

Source: Carcass_Souvik_Meaning SC

The pioneering research of Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb and Lewis Latimer, accelerated the development of the first power plant, which opened in New York City in 1882.

Correct answer must be (C) for the highlighted errors in the options...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 194
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Re: The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became [#permalink]
Kudos
Please help me understand why options A and B are wrong and option C is right.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bounce1987 wrote:

2 Errors in each of the options A and B:

1. The modifier ("who became known for his invention of the light bulb" in A / "known for his invention of the light bulb" in B) may wrongly refer to both Latimer and Edison.

2. It is not clear whom the pronoun "his" refers to, Latimer or Edison.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
Bounce1987 wrote:

2 Errors in each of the options A and B:

1. The modifier ("who became known for his invention of the light bulb" in A / "known for his invention of the light bulb" in B) may wrongly refer to both Latimer and Edison.

2. It is not clear whom the pronoun "his" refers to, Latimer or Edison.

Dear experts,
Can you explain why should I choose option C over E?
IMO, option C says research of Thomas Edison + modifier + and latimar accelerated the development. Isn't it non-sensical to say that? I mean, the research of a person accelerated the the development? or it should be research + by someone which accelerated the development?

Because of the above confusion I marked option E.
daagh GMATNinja sayantanc2k
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos
Writing "research of Thomas Edison" sounds like someone was researching thomas edison. That doesn't make much sense does it. Could you elaborate on the meaning of this sentence?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
kchen1994 wrote:
Writing "research of Thomas Edison" sounds like someone was researching thomas edison. That doesn't make much sense does it. Could you elaborate on the meaning of this sentence?

In this case, "the research of Thomas Edison" is meant to convey a meaning similar to that conveyed by "Thomas Edison's research."

While the interpretation that you have suggested would perhaps make sense in a different context, the context in which the wording "research of Thomas Edison" appears in this sentence indicates that the wording is not meant to convey that the research was about Thomas Edison but rather that the research belonged to or was possessed by Thomas Edison.

This advantage of using the "the research of" structure is that it allows conciseness and allows for the placement of the modifier "known for the invention of the light bulb" directly after "Thomas Edison."

If the sentence were to use "Thomas Edison's research" and "Lewis Latimer's research," it would be repetitive and less concise, and indicating that Thomas Edison is known for the invention of the light bulb would be challenging.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
kchen1994 wrote:

In this case, "the research of Thomas Edison" is meant to convey a meaning similar to that conveyed by "Thomas Edison's research."

While the interpretation that you have suggested would perhaps make sense in a different context, the context in which the wording "research of Thomas Edison" appears in this sentence indicates that the wording is not meant to convey that the research was about Thomas Edison but rather that the research belonged to or was possessed by Thomas Edison.

This advantage of using the "the research of" structure is that it allows conciseness and allows for the placement of the modifier "known for the invention of the light bulb" directly after "Thomas Edison."

If the sentence were to use "Thomas Edison's research" and "Lewis Latimer's research," it would be repetitive and less concise, and indicating that Thomas Edison is known for the invention of the light bulb would be challenging.

Wouldn't it be much more clear if it was written as E in that case? It is perfect clear in E that the research was conducted BY thomas edison, not on thomas edison
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kchen1994 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
kchen1994 wrote:

Wouldn't it be much more clear if it was written as E in that case? It is perfect clear in E that the research was conducted BY thomas edison, not on thomas edison

I find (C) to be sufficiently clear. That it is is just my take.

At the same time, I don't find anything particularly wrong with (E), and perhaps what you are really asking is what to do should you, when taking the GMAT, run into a choice like the choice between (C) and (E). The answer to that question is that there is almost no chance that you will have to make such a choice. The wrong answers in the SC questions on the actual GMAT will be more clearly wrong than is choice (E), which has no clear issues.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
My understanding is that a relative pronoun mustn't follow a comma (or possibly leading within a comma pair) -- is this correct?

And because of this, having "known" leading within the comma pair is a better choice than "who." Thus, A is incorrect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rajeet123 wrote:
Might be silly but doesn't the 'who' after a comma always talk about the word before it? Read it somewhere, and if it's true then A clearly refers to Edison. Where did I go wrong?
That's not a silly question at all. In fact, I see a lot of people using the same "rule" here on GMAT club. The thing to keep in mind (this is not specific to this question) is that there is no such rule. That is, this kind of who may or may not refer to the noun immediately before it. This is not to say that we shouldn't check a who/that/which if we see it in an option. It's just that we should not assume that a relative pronoun will always refer to the noun just before it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
This is what I was searching.
Ah! finally I met someone who is thinking in my way.
I also have same doubt.

The research of Thomas Edison.....seems weird, isn't it?
Is someone is researching Thomas. I think it would be better if sentence were that "the research by Thomas...."

Please let me know if I am wrong.

NinetyFour wrote:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
gvij2017 wrote:
This is what I was searching.
Ah! finally I met someone who is thinking in my way.
I also have same doubt.

The research of Thomas Edison.....seems weird, isn't it?
Is someone is researching Thomas. I think it would be better if sentence were that "the research by Thomas...."

Please let me know if I am wrong.
Hi gvij2017,

You're not wrong, but research of can be used both ways. The research of XYZ could mean either research into XYZ or research conducted by XYZ.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
The pioneering research of Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb

can't we reject C because it gives different meaning than E over what is known for his invention
read it again:
The pioneering research of Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb

But E has no such ambiguity.

2. of is not repeated after "and" . it could give parallelism error : research and Lewis in parallel which is WRONG

please suggest

sayantanc2k MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun daagh GMATNinja egmat
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
NightsKing wrote:
LucyDang wrote:
The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb, accelerated the development of the first power plant, which opened in New York City in 1882.

A. of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb,
B. of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb,
C. of Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer
D. of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison became known for his invention of the light bulb and
E. that was conducted by Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer

Source: Carcass_Souvik_Meaning SC

C looks right. But is the comma at the end of light bulb necessary?

Hi,

The commas are separating the modifier "known for his invention of the light bulb" from the rest of the sentence. Without the commas, the modifier would look out of place. The second comma is as necessary as the one just before 'known'.

The confusion probably arises because the conjunction (joining word) 'and' is present immediately after the modifier. However, the conjunction 'and' has been used to connect the nouns Thomas Edison and Lewis Latimer. The modifier is just an extra piece of information in between that gives us some information about Thomas Edison, and therefore has to be separated from the rest of the sentence with commas.

I hope this helps:)

Jayanthi Kumar.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
itsSKR wrote:
can't we reject C because it gives different meaning than E over what is known for his invention
read it again:

But E has no such ambiguity.

2. of is not repeated after "and" . it could give parallelism error : research and Lewis in parallel which is WRONG

please suggest

sayantanc2k MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun daagh GMATNinja egmat
Hi itsSKR,

You may want to also tag one or more Manhattan instructors on this one. For what it's worth, research of {someone} is quite common, and I wouldn't consider it a major problem.

As for the of: Keeping the of outside the Y in of X and Y helps to convey the meaning that this was a collaboration between X and Y. If we instead went with of X and of Y, we might think that X and Y worked independently (compare the research of X and Y with the research of X and of Y). It's good that the question doesn't ask us to take that kind of call though.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts