Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 18:20 It is currently 04 May 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6870 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Score difference with Rapid replies versus Omission (GMAC) [#permalink]
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
deeppan - Please understand that the GMAT has evolved since this article was published a decade ago. Guessing on the test is sometimes considered a useful strategy but it is predominantly a controversial topic; this post may very well confuse a few test-takers. Not recommended.

Hi deeppan

There is no need of going through these big articles/documents. The only thumb rule kind of suggestion from experts is "Try to answer all questions on GMAT to avoid penalty"
That's it.

All the best on your prep.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
Hello, deeppan. I downloaded and read through the article. I am curious, what specifically did you find of interest in an academic article that was written in 2009 about an earlier version of the test? To me, the language is unnecessarily stuffy, and fifteen pages could be summarized in a graph or two. The takeaway for me was that rapid guessing, defined as that which is done in 10 seconds or under for Verbal questions or 7 seconds or under for Quant, often leads to lower scores the more often such a strategy is employed. That seems like an obvious point. Moreover, the analysis on whether it is more advantageous to rapidly guess or omit an item has limited applicability. Both lead to lower scores, the kind that I doubt most readers on this sort of forum would be targeting.

Do not get me wrong, I love to pore over data, and GMAT™ data interests me greatly. I would simply like to know which points of the article captured your attention and why. Why recommend this article to others?

Thank you for sharing.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew, my understanding from this 15-page data that end scoring will be impacted negatively or positively depends on how many questions are left in the end & it varies from quant to verbal.
When I got it from the internet I didn't realize that this is too old since it is from MBA official site.
How valid it is, I can't comment as the pattern has been changed since the production date of this data.

Thanks, Enjoy if it helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
deeppan - Please understand that the GMAT has evolved since this article was published a decade ago. Guessing on the test is sometimes considered a useful strategy but it is predominantly a controversial topic; this post may very well confuse a few test-takers. Not recommended.

I care to share if useful to get 15min of insight since it is official data from GMAC on such a controversial topic.
How valid it is, I can't comment as the pattern has been changed since the production date of this data. however, it is from the MBA official site.

Cheers,
GMAT Club Bot