Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Schools: MBS (A$)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V27
GRE 1: Q170 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: European B-School/ US B-School: Indian Male GMAT:680 [#permalink]
Please provide insights on the same.
@Experts' Global
Vikram Shah Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
MAVERICKS

Hi!

I think you should look to improve your GMAT verbal score. Given that you're from NIT, you should be able to. Perhaps you should get some help for the verbal section of the GMAT. Apply with a better score and not your current score.

Regarding school selection, here's my broad take. Study in the country you want to work in and closer to your target employers. If you want to work with Shell, study in London. If you want to work in Energy in USA, look at schools in Texas. If you want to be based in India, ISB would be a good choice and I would advise you to apply with an improved GMAT score. You could also look at some schools in Canada. If you think your goals and interests may change at Bschool, then look at longer duration programs and not 1 year programs. I haven't commented on many schools that feature on your list as I don't think they are the right fit for you.

If you would like to discuss your candidacy and options, please get in touch with me via email. I hope this helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MAVERICKS, a few thoughts on your profile and plans:
  1. The academic arc looks solid given the NIT pedigree and a high GPA therein. Some in your situation find the GRE to be easier. I don't see the current score as a deal breaker. Just that a higher score can boost your chances and bring you within reach of more top league programs (think LBS/INSEAD). However, if it's done and dusted (4 times is one too many already, I know), best to put this behind you and march ahead.
  2. The professional profile is actually quite good since not many in our experience manage to have the kind of career transition you have had at IOCL/PSU - this after having worked with quite a few folks from the PSU background over the years. Stress on how you made the transition and try to bring out the achievement therein - that's the one area folks from PSU have it tough usually.
  3. The post-MBA plan needs to be researched more. O&G recruitment for international grads is not a commonplace phenomenon. Have you done any research that shows otherwise?
  4. It is nice to see that you've also balanced achievements at work with outside - the ECs will definitely make you a contender at European programs too, where international experience matters.
  5. For reasons mentioned here, we don't speculate on school selection or chances. That being said, in India, why not B and C? For German programs, do bear in mind that language is a big expectations and go here if ok with life/career there.

Hope this helps some. Feel free to reach out for any further queries/helps.

Cheers,
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, MAVERICKS,

The only thing I'd add to the strong advice you've already gotten above is to really re-iterate the idea of looking to Canda for MBA programs.

Programs in Canada tend to be:

- Less expensive

- Easier to get in to

- Immigration after graduation is easier

- O&G is a big part of the Candian economy, esp. in certain areas

For those reasons, I would prioritize researching schools in Canada.

I also agree with the others on the thread that the GMAT score is an issue and if you've already taken it 4 times, then you're unlikely to do much better (GMAC has done studies that show that most people never improve beyond the 3rd attempt), so to be more competitive, please consider taking the GRE instead.

The good news is, you have 4 years of experience now, so if you were to:

- Wait one year

- Get a higher test score via the GRE

- Continue to advance at work

I suspect you'd be a much stronger candidate in that scenario vs. applying now with a 680.

Hope this helps!,
Maria
GMAT Club Bot