Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: Conodonts, the spiky phosphatic remains (bones and teeth composed of c [#permalink]
[deleted]

Originally posted by IloveMBA123 on 19 Jun 2020, 09:13.
Last edited by IloveMBA123 on 12 Jul 2020, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Conodonts, the spiky phosphatic remains (bones and teeth composed of c [#permalink]
I doubt with the answer given for question no 3.

Nowhere it is strictly mentioned about Ostrocoderms being the earliest primitive. It is rather a matter of debate for paleontologists with varying opinions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
sunnytiss wrote:
I doubt with the answer given for question no 3.

Nowhere it is strictly mentioned about Ostrocoderms being the earliest primitive. It is rather a matter of debate for paleontologists with varying opinions.

An inference, by definition, does not need to be explicitly stated in the passage. And while paleontologists once had two hypotheses, the passage definitely supports one, namely that ostracoderms were not the earliest vertebrates. Take a look at our previous post where we discuss this question in a bit more detail, and let us know if you have any more questions!
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Thanks GMATNinja! Yes, it's all about turning your "conodon'ts" into "can dos"! :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
bm2201 SajjadAhmad

Considering this is a very good passage to practice, Is it possible to remove the line numbers from the passage? I don't think those numbers are playing any role in this passage, rather they are confusing in differentiating the paragraphs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
The passage was really difficult read. It took me around 4 minutes 30 seconds to read but answering the questions was faster once the passage was understood.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Schools: Alberta '23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
bm2201:

I was not able to understand why its not B in Q.2 ((Book Question: 515)

B. contrast the traditional view of the development of the vertebrate skeleton with a view derived from the 1981 discovery of conodont remains

IMO , it clearly contrast the traditional view hold before 1981.

Please correct me , why this option is wrong.

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
prashant0099 wrote:
bm2201:

I was not able to understand why its not B in Q.2 ((Book Question: 515)

B. contrast the traditional view of the development of the vertebrate skeleton with a view derived from the 1981 discovery of conodont remains

IMO , it clearly contrast the traditional view hold before 1981.

Please correct me , why this option is wrong.

Thanks

Hi prashant0099,

Please refer this answer by expert here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/conodonts-the-spiky-phosphatic-remains-bones-and-teeth-composed-of-c-242578-20.html#p2140875

Let me know if you still have doubts.
Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
For question 582 ("It can be inferred that on the basis...), I am confused as to where the evidence in the passage is for choice C to be incorrect. I realize that the official answer says that teeth preceded scales, but where is this in the last paragraph?

In the line "hard parts first evolved.... and that aggression rather than protection was the driving force behind the origin of the vertebrate skeleton" --> Is this where the evidence is? I see that the "hard parts that first" comes first but there is no clear transition word such as "then" or "afterwards" to indicate when the skeleton developed (couldn't it have happened at the same time?) Thank you in advance!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Send PM
woohoo921 wrote:
For question 582 ("It can be inferred that on the basis...), I am confused as to where the evidence in the passage is for choice C to be incorrect. I realize that the official answer says that teeth preceded scales, but where is this in the last paragraph?

In the line "hard parts first evolved.... and that aggression rather than protection was the driving force behind the origin of the vertebrate skeleton" --> Is this where the evidence is? I see that the "hard parts that first" comes first but there is no clear transition word such as "then" or "afterwards" to indicate when the skeleton developed (couldn't it have happened at the same time?) Thank you in advance!

Hi woohoo921,

Please refer this detailed answer by expert:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/conodonts-the-spiky-phosphatic-remains-bones-and-teeth-composed-of-c-242578-20.html#p2179425

Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:

Hi woohoo921,

https://gmatclub.com/forum/conodonts-the-spiky-phosphatic-remains-bones-and-teeth-composed-of-c-242578-20.html#p2179425

Thanks.

Thank you, yes I saw that before posting. Unfortunately, I am still confused on this one.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
woohoo921 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:

Hi woohoo921,

Thanks.

Thank you, yes I saw that before posting. Unfortunately, I am still confused on this one.

Hi woohoo921,

Let me know if this helps.

3. It can be inferred that on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains, paleontologists could draw which of the following conclusions?

Quote:
B. Ostracoderms were not the earliest vertebrates.

Can be inferred from the lines: "The lack of any mineralized structures apart from the elements in the mouth indicates that conodonts were more primitive than the armored jawless fishes such as the ostracoderms."

Quote:
C. Defensive armor preceded jaws among vertebrates.

C is correct, as what's mentioned in the passage is: " traditionalists argued, these animals developed coverings of bony scales or plates, and teeth were secondary features, adapted from the protective bony scales.", but we are concerned with what happened in 1981, after the discovery of the earliest vertebrates that triggered this argument, as mentioned in the last para: "It now appears that the hard parts that first evolved in the mouth of an animal improved its efficiency as a predator, and that aggression rather than protection was the driving force behind the origin of the vertebrate skeleton."

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
i took 8 mins to complete the passage(including answers) , got all 3 right .
What should have been the ideal time to complete the passage ?

Any suggestions GMATNinja Sajjad1994 ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32917 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harshjha001 wrote:
i took 8 mins to complete the passage(including answers) , got all 3 right .
What should have been the ideal time to complete the passage ?

Any suggestions GMATNinja Sajjad1994 ?

Hi Harshjha001

You don't need to worry about the time for this passage, this is a hard 700-level long passage so 8 minutes are justified for this one. 4 minutes to read the passage and 4 minutes to answer the equestions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja sayantanc2k

For question 3, although I marked the correct option for Q3, I was confused between B and D. Can you help to explain how to eliminate option D?

It can be inferred that on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains, paleontologists could draw which of the following conclusions?
A. The earliest vertebrates were sedentary suspension feeders.
D. Paired eyes and adaptations for activity are definitive characteristics of vertebrates.
E. Conodonts were unlikely to have been predators.

Hi, please find below my attempt at POE analysis for Q3-

A: Incorrect, this is a possibility that the traditionalists consider not the paleontologists
B: Correct. "The lack of any mineralized structures apart from the elements in the mouth indicates that conodonts were more primitive than the armored jawless fishes such as the ostracoderms." Implies that conodonts were more primitive than ostracoderms.
C: Incorrect, this is again the traditionalists/scientists' view
D: The paleontologists make this claim however this is NOT on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains which the question asks about. This is an individual claim, hence incorrect.
E: Incorrect- The main point of paleontologists argument is that conodonts would have been predatory to have developed external armour.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Here's my breakdown of the passage -

P1:
- C - Phos remains (bones + teeth)
- Controversial discovery

WHY?
1. nature of org - unknown
2. func of remains - unknown
3. anatomy of creature - unknown (the discovery not only preserved this Phos thing. It also preserved the remains of this soft body animal)

This had important implications on the hypotheses about development of vert skeleton

P2:
Traditional understanding - Vert skeleton = defensive tool

Supporters -
- primitive creatures = soft body = preys
- later evolution = jaws = predators.
- therefore - bony scales (first) -> then teeth (secondary) -> all for protection. (notice how this tries to answer the 'function' of the bones + teeth discovery - link to para 1)
How do they justify this?
They say this well-known Ostra thingi had no jaws (a primitive vertebrate). But it had bony skeletons just like the fossils. Therefore, teeth must have evolved later on as a secondary feature.

Critics -
- notice the other definitive features = pair eyes, muscle, skeletal adaptations -> would only have evolved if PREDATORS.
- therefore - first teeth -> then bones (external armor) -> all for predation

P3:
Conclusion
- Some xyz fetures of the skeleton = creatures was vertebrate. OK so that's confirmed.
- lack of mineral structures other than in the mouth = teeth came first = the fossils were more primitive than the Ostra thingi = OK so that rejects supporters' view.
- hard part in the mouth = evolution from predatory behaviour .
- then vertebrate skeleton = evolution from aggression, NOT protection. OK so that double rejects the supporters' view.

Critics were right!

Big Picture -
P1. Some controversial discovery of fossils. Why? coz can't understand nature of fossil/function of fossil/anatomy of creature.
P2. 2 views to justify function/anatomy. Supporters. Critics. With reasoning.
P3. Conclusion. Final Analysis. Critics right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

A closer look at Question #3

Rebekah wrote:
Can someone explain the third question? I got it right, but I spent almost 3 mins on this one. I had difficulties in locating where should I refer to answer this question.

It can be inferred that on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains, paleontologists could draw which of the following conclusions?
A The earliest vertebrates were sedentary suspension feeders.
B Ostracoderms were not the earliest vertebrates.
C Defensive armor preceded jaws among vertebrates.
D Paired eyes and adaptations for activity are definitive characteristics of vertebrates.
E Conodonts were unlikely to have been predators.

I found the discovery in p1 and p3. p1 just states that the discovery changes the views scientists hold about the development of vertebrate animals. p3 seems talk about the discovery(in a vague and subtle way, there is no obvious link between the discovery talked about in p1)

Cheers!

Your approach to this question was sound! It's a legitimately tough question, and difficult to answer without a clear read on the passage structure and process of elimination.

Quote:

The only place this discovery is explicitly mentioned is in P1, but (as you know) this isn't a situation where there's some immediate factoid that we see directly connected to the year 1981. Instead, we see this big-picture statement:

"However, since the 1981 discovery of fossils preserving not just the phosphatic elements but also other remains of the tiny soft-bodied animals (also called conodonts) that bore them, scientists' reconstructions of the animals' anatomy have had important implications for hypotheses concerning the development of the vertebrate skeleton."

This doesn't point us to something that happened in 1981. Instead, the significance of this line is why the author brings up this discovery: To call into question the existing hypotheses about why the vertebrate skeleton evolved.

OK, so let's think about this structurally. P1 tells us that the conodont discovery set up scientists (and us, the readers) to reconsider two hypotheses. P2 is all about presenting those hypotheses (which existed prior to the discovery and did not use conodonts as evidence), so we're not going to find the answer there.

But the purpose of P3 is to tell us that the hypothesis of aggressive evolution seems to be correct. And P3 delivers this statement based on the discovery of conodont remains:

"The stiffening notochord...V-shaped muscle blocks...and posterior tail fins help to identify conodonts as among the most primitive of vertebrates. The lack of any mineralized structures...indicates that conodonts were more primitive than the armored jawless fishes such as the ostracoderms. It now appears that the hard parts that first evolved in the mouth of an animal improved its efficiency as a predator, and that aggression rather than protection was the driving force behind the origin of the vertebrate skeleton."

All right! The 1981 discovery triggered a new debate over the origin of the vertebrate AND placed conodonts as one of the earliest examples of vertebrate evolution being driven by aggression.

Let's start eliminating:
Quote:
A. The earliest vertebrates were sedentary suspension feeders.

Sedentary suspension feeders were mentioned in P2 as potential evidence for vertebrate evolution being defensive. It's a thing that was mentioned in the passage, but it's not a statement that we can infer on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains. Eliminate (A).

Quote:

This looks good! P3 specifically tells us that conodonts were vertebrates AND were more primitive than ostracoderms. This would imply that Ostracoderms were not the earliest vertebrates, because they were predated by conodonts. Let's keep choice (B) around and keep moving.

Quote:

Nope. Like choice (A), this is not a statement that we can infer on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains. It's a tempting choices, but we can eliminate (C) just like we eliminated (A).

Quote:
D. Paired eyes and adaptations for activity are definitive characteristics of vertebrates.

Like (A) and (C), this choice is tempting but it's not a fact that we can infer on the basis of the 1981 discovery. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
E. Conodonts were unlikely to have been predators.

Choice (E) is totally off the rails (off the spine?). The entire point of P3 is that conodonts were evolved to be predators. This is the opposite of what this choice says, so let's eliminate (E), too.

(B) is the only choice that directly answers the question and is backed up by our understanding of the 1981 discovery's importance.

I hope this helps clarify how to stay ahead of this question! Whether or not it increases your appreciation of conodonts is up to you. I do hear rumors that they taste like chicken... :tongue_opt2

Hi GMATNinja

"P2 is all about presenting those hypotheses (which existed prior to the discovery and did not use conodonts as evidence)"
Which `s word/phase specifically mentioned that P2 were the hypotheses before the discovery 1981?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts