Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1921 [2]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Re: Scored a 390 on first diagnostic, 560 on most recent (Q42 V27). [#permalink]
Bookmarks
sensitivechins - Improving the quant raw score by 20 points from Q22 to V42 is phenomenal. However, you still need to work on the verbal section, and improving the raw score in the verbal takes a longer time than quant; therefore, you need to be patient and follow a strategic approach to solve each verbal question type.

I recommend that you review a few amazing forum posts from our highly esteemed verbal expert, Charles aka GMATNinja
Ultimate SC Guide
Ultimate CR Guide
Ultimate CR Guide

Also, I highly recommend Charles' Season 1 and 2 YouTube series. Please use the below links to access the tutorials.
Season 1
Season 2
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Scored a 390 on first diagnostic, 560 on most recent (Q42 V27). [#permalink]
Saransh123 wrote:
Are you studying verbal from Target Test Prep, how is it working for you?
which company mocks did you gave?

Posted from my mobile device

I am not studying the verbal on TTP. I gave it a go but personally, I really learn hands on (highlighting, jotting notes, etc.) so I’m using Manhattan Prep’s Verbal books since I can write in them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 4
Send PM
sensitivechins, how do you study verbal, I mean, do you practice questions related to the topics you just covered on that particular day?. I'm very confused, how should I study verbal. Below are the resources I currently have:
1. TTP Course
2. Manhattan Verbal Foundation; kindle edition
3. Powerscore Critical Reasoning
4. Manhattan SC (old version, 2015)
Please guide if you can

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sensitivechins.

Since you are using TTP for quant, for sure, you should also be using us for verbal also. We've had countless students use TTP, for both quant and verbal, and those students have really kicked butt on the GMAT.

While I understand what you are saying about taking notes and highlighting, the TTP course has a notes feature that you can use to take notes on any text that you highlight as you go through the course. Meanwhile, the GMAT itself is presented on a computer screen. So, practicing answering questions on a screen is optimal.

Overall, in allowing this notes and highlighting issue to keep you from using the TTP Verbal Course, you are depriving yourself of the use of a very powerful resource. To give you a sense of what I mean, a student came to me having trouble with Sentence Correction. I practically begged him to use TTP Sentence Correction, but he kept saying that he had already used a variety of Sentence Correction resources and, thus, knew all about Sentence Correction rules, etc. So, he doubted TTP SC would teach him anything new. Finally, after spending additional months not making progress in Sentence Correction, he decided to use the TTP SC course. The next time he took the GMAT, a week ago, he got all but one Sentence Correction question correct, for a 98th percentile SC score.

So, I would encourage you to use the TTP verbal course and figure out how to address the note taking and highlighting issue in another way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi sensitivechins.

Since you are using TTP for quant, for sure, you should also be using us for verbal also. We've had countless students use TTP, for both quant and verbal, and those students have really kicked butt on the GMAT.

While I understand what you are saying about taking notes and highlighting, the TTP course has a notes feature that you can use to take notes on any text that you highlight as you go through the course. Meanwhile, the GMAT itself is presented on a computer screen. So, practicing answering questions on a screen is optimal.

Overall, in allowing this notes and highlighting issue to keep you from using the TTP Verbal Course, you are depriving yourself of the use of a very powerful resource. To give you a sense of what I mean, a student came to me having trouble with Sentence Correction. I practically begged him to use TTP Sentence Correction, but he kept saying that he had already used a variety of Sentence Correction resources and, thus, knew all about Sentence Correction rules, etc. So, he doubted TTP SC would teach him anything new. Finally, after spending additional months not making progress in Sentence Correction, he decided to use the TTP SC course. The next time he took the GMAT, a week ago, he got all but one Sentence Correction question correct, for a 98th percentile SC score.

So, I would encourage you to use the TTP verbal course and figure out how to address the note taking and highlighting issue in another way.

thanks for the reply, Scott. you know what? i’ll give it another go. just took another practice test and scored a Q40 V25, not improving on my Verbal with my current plan. so can’t hurt to utilize TTP! while disheartened by the score, i’m motivated to really hone in on my Verbal.

how would you recommend studying on a daily basis for two hours a day? would you recommend an hour of quant, an hour of verbal on TTP?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bookmarks
sensitivechins wrote:
Hello!

First post but I began to study for the GMATs about ~4 months ago. On my first diagnostic test, I scored a miserable 390 (Q22, V22). But I began to follow my study plan (do 10-20 problems each on Quant and Verbal along with TTP for Quant). On my next two tests, I scored a 520. Last month, I took another test and scored a 560 (Q42 V27). I'm positive I can increase my Quant score even further but I'm having a hard time on Verbal. In the past two months, I purchased Manhattan Prep's "Foundation of Verbal" and "All the Verbal". Finished the former and currently working through the latter. The number of questions I'm getting correct on the practice problems are going up but I feel that I need to get at least a 35+ to get a score of above 650.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to boost Verbal? Any other guides that you found helpful? I've always been a quant guy so it was easy to increase my score. Thanks!

Hi sensitivechins,

The first thing I would suggest you for verbal is to follow a structured process. Do not just practice questions. There are certain methods and strategies you have to learn for each module of verbal. Only after you learn the concepts and methods, dive into practicing questions.

I scored V26 in my first GMAT attempt. I learnt all the concepts by then but didn't know what else to learn. Then, I enrolled in GMATWhiz online course and realized that there's a lot to learn other than the concepts. GMAT is mostly about application. So, no matter how conceptually strong you are, unless you use the right methods, you are not likely to score well on GMAT. I finally improved my Verbal score to 38, thanks to GMATWhiz.

I have made a couple of debriefs elaborating my GMAT journey. You can go through them to know a few tips.

Debrief of my journey from 570 to 680 to 720:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110

Scoring a perfect CR 51 ( 97 percentile ) from being an amateur in CR:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/scoring-a-pe ... l#p2526853

Hope it helped. All the best :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
sensitivechins wrote:
Hi sensitivechins.

thanks for the reply, Scott. you know what? i’ll give it another go. just took another practice test and scored a Q40 V25, not improving on my Verbal with my current plan. so can’t hurt to utilize TTP! while disheartened by the score, i’m motivated to really hone in on my Verbal.

how would you recommend studying on a daily basis for two hours a day? would you recommend an hour of quant, an hour of verbal on TTP?

I think the move actually is to follow the study plan exactly as it's laid out. Have you been doing that?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sensitivechins wrote:
Hi sensitivechins.

I think the move actually is to follow the study plan exactly as it's laid out. Have you been doing that?

meaning, if in Module X, there’s a quant and verbal, complete those? then yes! although i have to catch up on verbal, that’s exactly my game plan
Send PM
Expert Reply
sensitivechins wrote:

meaning, if in Module X, there’s a quant and verbal, complete those? then yes! although i have to catch up on verbal, that’s exactly my game plan

Then your gameplan is perfect!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1921 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
sensitivechins Saransh123 - Having used almost every GMAT test prep courses, I can confidently tell you with full responsibility that the Target Test Prep verbal course is extremely good and self-sufficient to get you a very high score on the verbal section. The Target Test Prep test is graciously offering the verbal course in a pre-launch format to all existing students; therefore, please take the time to go through the course. Given the course is still in a pre-launch stage, you will not find too many reviews of Target Test Prep verbal, but trust me when I say that the course is incredible; it touches upon some of the most dreaded areas of the GMAT with sheer perfection, without overloading your brain with unnecessary details on Grammar or the English language in general.

Cc: ScottTargetTestPrep
GMAT Club Bot