GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 09:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scoring a perfect CR 51 ( 97 percentile ) from being an amateur in CR.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Scoring a perfect CR 51 ( 97 percentile ) from being an amateur in CR.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 05:33
Hi Fellow GMAT Aspirants,

I am Vamshi. To give you an introduction, I am a GMAT aspirant and I improved my score from 570 to 680 already and today I’m sharing my experience of scoring a 97 percentile on GMAT CR from being an amateur at CR. I’m still working on improving my score to get to 720+, but I’m sure my experience in CR is going to help other students like me who are struggling with CR.

The story before the 570 attempt

I started my GMAT preparation around December 2018. I took a classroom coaching, learned the concepts, solved the questions of their material and did OG thoroughly. That’s about it. This was how I did my study without any study plan or any strategy. I would get a few questions right and few of them wrong. It was mostly a hit and miss kind of case. I used to simply read the question and directly jump to the options.

I prepared for about 6-7 months and I finally took the test and scored a mere 570 with a V26. CR was bad obviously. The accuracy was very low be it easy, medium or hard questions. I was always confused with two close choices.

The story after 570

I realized that it is not just about the preparation, but it is all about the right way of going about it. I signed up for GMATWhiz this time even though it was fairly new back then. I liked the fact that the course was very well organized and structured.

This time, I started focusing on not just the CR concepts but their application. I understood I needed a few strategies to make sure I score well. I understood the mistakes I was making while solving those questions previously. I looked at every solution in depth and used to note down the differences between my approach and the approach suggested in the solution. I realized that a lot needs to be done before jumping to options. In fact, if you focus you’ll realize that there is a certain framework to solve CR questions.

Learning the Framework to solve CR questions

To begin with, CR questions on GMAT have a particular way of approaching them. There’s some pre-analysis to be done before you start eliminating the answer choices. The good thing is that this pre-analysis can be done easily if you know the framework for each and every type of question be it assumption, inference or evaluate.

I learnt about the Frameworks from the GMATWhiz course. They taught me how to pre-think for each of the four common frameworks. Most of the questions can be solved if we understand how to apply these frameworks. They are:

• Plan-goal
    • Comparison
    • Causality
    • Quants

To help you learn, I’ll give you a rough idea of how causality framework works. If there is a cause (X) and effect (Y) relationship in the argument, the three things you have to keep in mind for the assumption to hold true are :
    • X happened before Y
    • There are no causes other than X for Y to happen
    • No reverse causality exists that is Y did not lead to X

By sticking to these three guidelines, you can easily eliminate the wrong choices and finally select the right one.

Strategy behind eliminating answer choices

When it comes to eliminating answer choices, I didn’t follow any strategy before my first attempt. I would often get confused between two close answer choices and end up marking the wrong one. There are many traps set by the test makers and it is important to have the right strategies in order to identify and mark the right answer at the end. I have to say GMATWhiz helped me a lot with those strategies. I didn’t even have an idea that there were certain common set of traps in each option, and if you know them, you can easily eliminate them.

For example, I learnt how an answer choice can be irrelevant when I started thinking within the scope of the argument. To give a clear understanding, if the conclusion is about the environmental advantage of using paper bags instead of plastic bags, any option talking about the economical advantage would be irrelevant in this case. I would often get confused between two close answer choices. I finally understood that one of the two close answer choices is a partial truth or distortion and can be straight away eliminated. By partial truth, I mean an assumption which does not hold true during all the conditions.

The GMATWhiz course had very detailed explanations of each choice and the main error behind them. Over a period of time, as I solved these questions I developed an idea of how to identify these traps.

The advantage of concept booster and quizzes

Finally, the concept booster and practice quizzes helped me get comfortable with the framework and strategies. The wide variety questions available made me understand the way to solve all the kind of questions I could face on an actual GMAT test.

Once I learned all the concepts and strategies to solve CR, I kept taking quizzes. Based on the results, I spent a considerable amount of time analyzing them and identifying my weaker areas. Then I would get back to going through the concepts of my weaker areas and practise those kind of questions.

Though I would get a few questions wrong during my practice, I always knew I was approaching them the right way and it was just a matter of time I mastered it. Finally, the result was evident. I scored a 97 percentile on GMAT CR and I could not help but thank GMATWhiz for my success. Their dedicated mentorship really helped me a lot and I’m still working with my mentor to improve my score to 720+. Will share my entire journey in detail once I reach the 720 mark. All the best to me and everyone else for their GMAT Preparation!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V32
Re: Scoring a perfect CR 51 ( 97 percentile ) from being an amateur in CR.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 06:11
Thank you Vamshi. Great insights on CR! :)
I am sure this will help a lot of GMAT takers.

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scoring a perfect CR 51 ( 97 percentile ) from being an amateur in CR.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 08:20
vamshikaithi wrote:

To begin with, CR questions on GMAT have a particular way of approaching them. There’s some pre-analysis to be done before you start eliminating the answer choices. The good thing is that this pre-analysis can be done easily if you know the framework for each and every type of question be it assumption, inference or evaluate.

I learnt about the Frameworks from the GMATWhiz course. They taught me how to pre-think for each of the four common frameworks. Most of the questions can be solved if we understand how to apply these frameworks. They are:

• Plan-goal
    • Comparison
    • Causality
    • Quants

To help you learn, I’ll give you a rough idea of how causality framework works. If there is a cause (X) and effect (Y) relationship in the argument, the three things you have to keep in mind for the assumption to hold true are :
    • X happened before Y

By sticking to these three guidelines, you can easily eliminate the wrong choices and finally select the right one.

vamshikaithi
Thanks for writing something on CR. Could you share your approach on some CR (i.e., boldface, strengthen and weaken, must be true, etc..) specially from official questions?
S

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 09:47
Thanks for writing in such a detail. It really helps to understand.

Sloan MIT School Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 10:11
vamshi

Congratulations for 97 percentile in CR - a rarity. Great achievement.
Thanks for writing such a detailed post about CR. Few of the strategy you mentioned are very helpful.

Come up with something for SC and RC as well. :)

All the best ... :thumbsup:
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 12:30
Congrats for getting 97 percentile CR. That would be the highest one. When did you take your latest exam? What is your latest exam breakdown (Q. V, IR, AWA)?

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 04:48
lnm87 wrote:
vamshi

Congratulations for 97 percentile in CR - a rarity. Great achievement.
Thanks for writing such a detailed post about CR. Few of the strategy you mentioned are very helpful.

Come up with something for SC and RC as well. :)

All the best ... :thumbsup:

Quote:
Thanks. I am happy that it helped.
Sure. I will definitely post on how I got better on both SC and RC and a few strategies I learnt to approach them in the right way.
Hopefully, if I can get a 720+, I will share that experience too.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 04:51
chondro48 wrote:
Congrats for getting 97 percentile CR. That would be the highest one. When did you take your latest exam? What is your latest exam breakdown (Q. V, IR, AWA)?

Quote:
Thank you. :)
My last exam was on March 3rd. The breakdown is Q : 45, V : 38 and IR : 6

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 01:58
Asad wrote:
vamshikaithi wrote:

• Plan-goal
    • Comparison
    • Causality
    • Quants

• X happened before Y

Thanks for writing something on CR. Could you share your approach on some CR (i.e., boldface, strengthen and weaken, must be true, etc..) specially from official questions?

Quote:
Sure Asad. That is a good idea. Please give some time. I will definitely share my approach on CR using an official question as an example.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 21:05
ankban wrote:
Thanks for writing in such a detail. It really helps to understand.

Quote:
Happy that it helped.
Will definitely post a few more on other modules in coming days.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scoring a perfect CR 51 ( 97 percentile ) from being an amateur in CR.   [#permalink] 25 May 2020, 21:05

Scoring a perfect CR 51 ( 97 percentile ) from being an amateur in CR.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics